Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Any communities where you live, i'm just curious about progressive mosques, i know another american who converted and his biggest complaint where the mosques he went to were pretty much ethnic enclaves and it felt like he couldn't get involved much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Tendai posted:

The answer is, I do not know. I'm actually not even totally sure why so many places separate them as in places like Mecca, say, everyone worships together during the Hajj. From what I've always read it seems to be more a hadith/sunna deal than the Qur'an, I can't think of any verses that are unambiguously geared towards that. Again I have to say that I've always been fairly solitary just due to where I've lived, so I'm not totally in tune with public worship and why it is how it is unless it's something I've studied in relation to something else.

Its because of Male gaze, women prostating and whatnot will reveal features and distract, etc thats what i was taught, not sure where it comes from. If a woman leads a public prayer she needs to have a curtain between her and the people who pray.

BattyKiara posted:

Why are women placed at the back of mosques? If genders need to be separate during prayers, why not but men on the right and women on the left of a dividing screen or something?

I get that Islam doesn't allow paintings, but what about music? Or other types or art. Is there such a thing as Islamic art to show the glory of Allah?

Outside of calligraphy and geometric art mosques aren't as rich as middle eastern church murals for example, the simple affair though is also probably based on not being distracted while praying :v:

Music is another form, this is in hadith though, and in general stringed and fluted instruments are to be avoided if its a religious occassion, the usage of drums or some sort of instrument with a dulled tone is alright afaik. There is middle eastern art thats inspired by islam, but you don't mix secular with religious most of the time, secular middle eastern music doesn't have that limitation, also arabs being a bit more stringent than other cultures do have some artwork depicting humans and animals in a palace so its not really completely out of the question to have secular art.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Tendai posted:

I haven't heard about anything like that in other areas, but I also hadn't heard of it at all till you just mentioned it. That's kind of cool, I wonder if there are videos of it to see what it sounds like.

Hmm. The closest I can really think of to something standard like that is probably the recitation of the Qur'an by qari. It can get really musical-sounding at times and as far as I know every Muslim group is cool with it. It relies on a specific school or practice of elocution called tajwid. This is a really good example of how musical it can be. Don't read Youtube comments if you look at more, or the descriptions of the video, unless you want hilariously bad attempts to convert you.

I've done a thread called ask me about being a dwarf and I'm relatively sure I answered questions about pooping so there is no such thing as too personal in A/T. And yes! The way my knees and hips all go together makes it impossible for me to kneel without pitching forward unless I hold onto something, much less do the proscribed prostration etc etc etc. This, amusingly enough, actually kept me from doing my conversion for about six months. I really kind of worried that if I couldn't do that it wouldn't count (I was sixteen, we're all dumb at sixteen).

The thing that changed my mind was a picture in a news magazine or a book made by one of them (Time Life or somesuch) of what I think was a Hamas member praying. Maybe PLO. It's been 15+ years since I saw it. Something like that in any case. And he had been injured and couldn't kneel and they talked about him praying in a squatting position and that's when it drove into my head that duh, it's the intent and not the form. It's not like Allah doesn't know I'm a dwarf, and I'm fairly sure that hurling forward to concuss myself against the floor is less ideal than sitting or squatting to pray.

You wouldn't skip a prayer in that case, you'd just guess and go with it. It's fairly easy to tell at least a general direction based on the sun if you don't know it already, isn't it? I don't have one of the special compasses or anything (I've even seen a gaudy, loving god-awful gold one aimed at people with more money than taste) so I approximate because I know where I am and where Mecca is, globally speaking.

Hey thanks alot for this thread by the way, and yeah sorry about not finding out earlier that the intent is what counts, in general though "ina aldeen yusr wa lais usr" which can be translated as "religion is to be taken with ease and not difficulty" i think is the rule, if you face difficulty in practicing it then you're just creating unnecessary hardship on yourself when it should be taken with ease, although conservatives tend to translate this, or some people twist it into "oh hey if i bust my bones the rewards are better" which is wrong :v:

BattyKiara posted:

Thank you for interesting replies. But I was thinking more of if there is an Islamic version of things like psalms, plain song, or gregorian chant. You do not have to be a believer to admire the incredible art produced through church history.

I can understand the idea of "OK, prayer time, let's make it easier to consentrate on God and not look at the pretty girl by separating the genders". I do not agree with it, but I can understand it. Still think some kind of side by side separation would be better than back to front. More equal?

You might want to google nasheed, they're sorta like acapella chants? i dunno, i'm not very familiar with this genre of music but some people don't listen to music due to the hadiths and this sort of popped up as an alternative.

With regards to gender prayers, whats best if mosques were partitioned equally, it happens where i live but its not always equal. The women to the back thing is usually when there isn't a partition. There was a public prayer were women prayed in front of men during the protests in egypt in 2011 so i'm not really sure if a rule or just something cultural.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Tendai posted:

Yeah, I didn't quite realize that at first. I remember sitting there stressing about it in my US History class one day, weirdly enough. Going over something in the 1800s and I'm sitting there having an internal debate about Islam.

Can I ask where you live? If you mentioned before I missed it. I'm always curious as to how things are practiced in different areas and it's cool to hear that it's at least relatively normal in some places. I didn't know that about the public prayer in Egypt, that's pretty amazing.

As far as I can tell it's all pretty much based on interpretations of the hadith and sunna, and maybe a very liberal interpretation of 33:53. Very, very liberal.

EDIT: If people are interested in more specifically Islamic music, there are a number of Sufi varieties. Qawwali, ayin (from the Mevlevi) and gazals are the ones that spring to mind, but I know there are more. Gazals are just Sufi as gently caress (to put it in a less than classy manner) because they deal with loss and love and beauty and connection.

Gladly, these are my experiences so its sort of anecdotal i guess, but here goes! I live in the UAE, I'm Sunni, like the majority of the people here, there is a Shia minority and a big group of expats being Ibadis (Almost all of them are Omanis who've come to work in the UAE), i'll touch on those two sects a little bit later.

Its greatly stressed that prayer should be done on time and if possible do a group prayer at a mosque, this isn't very difficult, its a 2-3 minute drive from my area (i live in some sort of suburban area in the outskirts of Abu Dhabi) so when an Azan blares i could drive to a mosque and do it, but since i'm a goony goon whose an incredibly lazy shut in i don't really do it all the time. There is the "Jum'a" friday prayers where there is a sermon before the prayer, just to clarify these are all prebaked by a centralized ministry to deliver messages or public announcements, after the the jum'a prayers the imam typically gets up and blurts warnings about not scrawling graffiti in the toilets or loitering on mosque grounds.

There is a basement prayer room thats used when maintenance is working on the ground floor in case thats required, Women are allocated a seperate part of the mosque it has its own entrance and isn't accessible from the male area, it has a loud speaker for when an imam (the job is held exclusively by men for various reasons) leads the prayer from the other room. Women aren't required to attend a mosque, and from what i hear from female neighbours its usually empty, except for the Imams sister and wife who pray there.

Onto the other sects, The Ibadis are a sect who are almost all Omani expats, they come to work in the UAE, and they usually look for private sector jobs here, what makes them low key is that they aren't radically different from Sunnis. If they do join us in prayers they will follow the sunni method, but i don't know if you're familiar with how prayers have variations where you sort of cross your arms when reciting verses and then prostate and whatnot, ibadis don't do that. The perception that reciting and not folding your arms is an ibadi practice but sunnis and shia do it too sometimes so it can get kinda confusing. It gets interesting in an Ibadi mosque though, i think you've seen how Al fatihah at the end is usually followed by a big "Amen" hail by sunnis, this isn't the case in an Ibadi mosque, and when its said its in a very low tone.

The Shia are the filthy other :v:, its kinda sad because sunnis sort of drew a line and generally don't mix with shia congregations, for example some places have two mosques built next to each other due to that.

I'm not familiar with Shia prayer practices, its not very different from the sunni one actually, a smaller group of shia (Ja'fari, Zaydi etc) are pretty easy to blend in with sunnis as they do most of the same stuff, the twelvers form the majority though and they do have some different practices than sunnis, one is an occassion called a "Husaniyah" (mourning ritual, which is a sombre moment where people shed a tear on the assassination of the prophets grandsons) and a special day called A'shoura, thats the day they beat themselves on the chest and its more about wailing loudly, self flagellation is banned though.

Thats about it for the day to day things where i live and hear from others.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Tendai posted:

I didn't convert because of Muhammad. I converted because of the Qur'an and how it spoke to me. He was, and this is probably going to sound blasphemous as poo poo, simply the conduit through which it passed. As to why he was the one chosen for it, gently caress if I can answer that.

You aren't wrong, Muhammed is referred to as a Messenger as opposed to prophet (rasul vs nabi) its an interesting point because you arent supposed to emulate him but rather follow the message that is delivered.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Hey, i have been to Umra recently, Mecca is a very crowded place, and i made the mistake of agreeing to be dragged into it by family who thought the Hajj period is over. If anyone is curious about that sort of thing feel free to ask.

MrNemo posted:

Bear in mind in theological terms in Christianity, frequently people would say any description of God in terms we understand is allegorical at best. Christian talk of God 'loving' humanity is an attempt to explain God's feelings in a way we understand. Some prefer saying something like God's perfect love to try and make that a bit clearer or retreat into negative theology (we can't say God's love because love is human, so God's feeling that isn't human love). Generally the attitude is that that way of talking isn't right (but isn't quite wrong) but it helps convey the Message so it's acceptable. Of course in many, many cases people just anthropomorphise away without ever thinking about it more deeply.

Tendai thanks for making this thread! I've just moved away from a Muslim country (Malaysia specifically) where there's all sorts of fun regarding religious issues that I won't drag into your thread because it's a specific practise of Islam that's very tied into the Malay majority ethnic identity. What I am curious about are the historical origins of Islam and scholarly understanding of Islamic history. The great History of Byzantium podcast lead me onto this and specifically the interview episode with Tom Holland, which inspired me to read In the Shadow of the Sword. His thesis regarding Mohammed himself is that he's historically analagous to Shakespeare. We have a few pretty strong dates for a few major events but otherwise there is 0 academically acceptable information about his life. Simultaneously we have a huge amount of supposition, hearsay and general folklore (for want of a better term) about him that is frequently put forward or taught as verifiable and certain historical fact.

He generally argues that Islam hasn't been subjected to the same level of rigorous academic scrutiny as Christianity has been since the 19th century and as a result what is known and taught in Islamic history generally relies on oral histories written centuries after the fact without documentary evidence. He discounts the Qu'ran as a particularly good source of historical information because it almost never talks about geographical locations and when it does it rarely gives any information about them (Holland himself argues that sites such as Mecca were moved for political reasons, claiming there's evidence of a tradition in Arabic culture of shrines and holy sites being movable).

I'm worried this might come off as agressive, Holland in all the writing I've read of his tries to point out that he's not attacking the religious veracity of Islam but obviously it's hard to avoid doing so with a religion that invests so much importance in a written work (Holland also claims the Qu'ran was assembled from different versions, somewhat akin to the New Testament) and a single historical origin. Basically he argues against the idea that Islam emerged as a religion fully formed from the mouth of Mohammed and that it's teachings and scripture have remained unchanged. It's not an area I know much about and some parts of his thesis, like early Muslim communities following still many of their old pagan beliefs (because they were Arabs who heard about this great new religion thing and how much conquering and booty was agoing and wanted in without really understanding it) is something which appeals to me as fitting in with how such phenomena usually appears in history (c.f. Pagan kings in England converting to Christianity and happily showing off how they'd built an altar to pray to Jesus alongside all the other ones). I don't know if he's overly critical though or what kind of historiography there is in the Muslim (and non-Muslim) world regarding Islamic history. Holland basically dismisses the entirety of the Hadith as historical documentation, which gives me some pause in thinking he's entirely right.

Not to discount tendais post or anything, as her responses are pretty much in line with what i think as well, but i wanna touch on that syncretism in early islamic arab societies, as far as whats commonly believed, a lot of communities did have some syncretic beliefs molded into islam (up to the 11th century in fact) this isn't really controversial, this also kinda explains why there are many sects as early preachers were students under the companions, (Tabi'a and Sahaba) they did not interact with Muhammed directly. The conquests were also kind of sold off as a "yo loot for everyone" sort of migration really if you wanna look at it academically, if there is anything to be proven in any conflict (just look at both military history threads), most of the soldiers during the dark ages/medieval times were pretty much not really religious or ideological folk, but were in it for the loot, and its interesting to point out that one way to get people armed was to convince the rich to sponsor warriors by buying them equipment to secure their plot of land in heaven, and this was from hadith.

Primary accounts of the conquests were very candid, with praise for their enemies in particular because the Arabs knew they were attacking foreign lands and the people that fought them were you know actually defending their lands :v:

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Oh boy where do i start, forgive me for not taking pics.

On arrival in Jeddah i overheard about the security communication thing warning that any unattended baggage is going to be destroyed, on further inquiry i was given the standard safety procedure spiel, but its also probably them not wanting to deal with a lost and found department. Leaving the terminal i saw another one set up to deal with the pilgrims coming from all over the world, they call it the Hajj terminal, its very spartan and its supposed to accommodate all these people and then bus them off to Mecca. Anyways the terminal i landed on is pretty much the well off to do types, the taximen from that one all drive big SUVs because they know they're transporting a family to Mecca, the ride from and to the airport was roughly 260 dollars and they will not ask for a specific amount because they probably know GCC folks are rich enough to cough up 500 riyals at least for each ride. You can also book this through a hajj agency for less if you're organizing a family trip which is recommended and cheaper but where i come from my family always goes on whim and never plan anything :v:

My family were being hosted by a Saudi family who we've had a relationship for years, their home was a 10 minute drive to the Haram (the building surrounding the Kaaba) but a 30 minute drive from it because the security there blocks off some streets for people to walk through. The Umra can be done in a day, but i'm not very fit and the amount of stuff you do is daunting for my fat goony rear end. You commence an Umra, with a Tawaf where you circle the Kaaba for 7 times, its quiet a walk, and during that you can also do invocations, they usually hand out pamphlets to people to guide them through that, from my experience in previous Umra's (i did a total of 4) you were also required to pray during prayer time and it wouldn't interrupt your Umra, you just continue from where you left off. The structure is surrounded by a temporary uh catwalk of sorts so as to allow more people to walk around it, i'm gonna crib some images from google and upload them on dropbox for convenience:

It used to be you could do one big walk through the outer area instead of 7 but not anymore, so this temporary construction was made to sort of hold more people to do the tawaf fully.

flakeloaf posted:

:justpost:

Did you ever think you were in serious danger of getting trampled? How did the Mutauween determine/test your Muslimness? Meet any interesting people from far-off lands, or was everyone just sorta doing their own thing?

Its a very diverse place, a very old couple who spoke french tried to ask me things but i couldn't understand their english very well, luckily some north african guy bumped into us and he helped them out, two japanese dudes wanted to have dinner and were looking for a place called Al Baik (a KFC clone, better than the actual KFC in saudi weirdly enough), also saw a bunch of Iraqi shia (arabic invocation mentioning Moses and Jesus, its very weird and unusual) and also alot of people from Africa, and Indonesia (i asked and apparently the Saudis alloted most of the space for people from africa and Indonesia this year, also if you're keeping with the news the saudi government blamed the black folks for causing the stampede, or the iranians, or both :suicide:). It was pretty safe though, people were mostly chilling doing their thing, the cranes were moved away to avoid any more accidents, and everyone did their own thing, you'd very rarely get to speak with people as they're all pretty busy getting their pilgrimaging on.

Thankfully no rough encounters with the religious police, they can honestly get hosed, alot of saudis don't really have kind words for these dudes, i guess to be fair they do have to deal with alot of people they usually just tell folks to do proper procedures now, it used to be they whacked people who were out of order or women showing some hair sliding off their hijab but they don't do that anymore and i'm glad they stopped.

Gonna stop here for now, I'll post more on my Umra trip in the upcoming posts, during the Umra my family took some breaks to go do things, this is apparently ok, next post will deal with the second thing you do in an umrah, a trip to Al Ta'if (the first destination Muhammed took before leaving Mecca for Medina, long story short they didn't treat him kindly), i also encountered baboons and had some really weird rear end fruit at the mountain top.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

cebrail posted:

Does anyone have a credible source for the discriminatory origin of the word moslem? Because I'm 95% sure it's indeed a different spelling of the same word, based on the persian pronounciation instead of the original arabic and most of the few google results saying otherwise are deliberately offensive right wing crap.

Phone posting here but from my knowledge root world for ظالم is ظلم (thalem/thlm) i guess you can kind of twist it to زلم zlm, but thats the root word for زلما zalama which is syrian slang for a grown rear end man :v:

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Amun Khonsu posted:

"Moslem" (pronounced Mozlem) has its roots in this word "Z-L-M". Used in the Qur'an, ZLM refers to wrongdoers, criminals and polytheists. So the addition of "Mu" before ZLM to say Muzlim (or commonly pronounced Mozlem when people use the spelling Moslem) means "one who is a wrongdoer or polytheist. The plural for this for many people who are polytheists or wrongdoers is ZALIM.

The problem here is if you transliterate Mozlem it will become "مظلم" which completely changes the meaning to darkness instead of wrongdoer. Edit: that changes the root word to also mean "dark" though.

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 6, 2015

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Tendai posted:

Fizzil, thank you for that write up on the umrah and what you're planning on writing about in the future! It's really cool for me to hear about it, both the positive and negative aspects of it. Most accounts I've read have seemed to be either ignoring any inconveniences or trying to be weird and "I'm too cool let's complain about this" which was just kind of odd. Hearing about just how diverse it is in terms of place of origin is pretty awesome, I felt a vague flash of guilt when I was all "huh, you're right, of course there are Japanese Muslims." I hadn't realized that the mutawwi had backed off slightly, I remember reading about them smacking legs and such with canes (or something similar) before.

I look forward to hearing about your umrah baboon adventure :allears:

I forgot to mention i got the cane once because my mothers hijab wasn't wrapped tight enough for the muttawa, at least he had the decency not to hit an old woman. It did scar my soul though :v:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Safa_and_Al-Marwah

I think this is a pretty good visual of what these mountains looked like, Islamic mythology spoke of Hagar running back and forth between those two mountains seeking water for her son Ismail after Abraham have left them, on her last and 7th run Zamzam burst from the ground and quenched the thirst of her child. Part of the Hajj and Umra ritual is to run between these two mountains, i'm no scholar and i dunno why men have to run (not walk) a certain distance but there is these green flags that makes running obligatory for men, but optional women. Doing the whole thing for 7 laps was absolutely brutal considering that its essentially a corridor and well ventilated and cool.

You'll note the exposed part of the mountain is glazed with some sort of material, it was very smooth stuff, but it was also very rough to walk on.

The Hajj season this year was around 2-3 million i think, which is fairly low when normally its 5 million, it was still a crowded place.

After this was done and dealt with we took a break and visited Al Ta'if, the town that infamously told Muhammed to :getout: its situated on top of a mountain and you could access it from 3 ways, taking a taxi to the bottom of the mountain and then the cable car to the top, or driving through a very terrifying zigzag road all the way to the top, there was another route, it was longer but safer and the incline was pleasant. Of course my family decided why not take the zigzag road, it should be fun! but it wasn't! the higher we went the more pressure i felt on my ears, and looking down almost made me poo poo my pants :v: even with the guard blocks to prevent vehicles from veering to their doom it was still a very terrifying experience.

Just before the top we encountered some baboons, of course being dumb tourists we did the typical thing, bought bananas and started throwing it at them, to the side of the pack we were throwing food at sat a sort of balding very furry baboon, i think it was their leader or something, because it was the most chill baboon i ever saw. I threw a banana at him, but he did not look very amused, he grabbed the thing and flinged it at another baboon that promptly caught it. They were overfed it seemed from all the people driving about throwing all sorts of fruit at them. There were also cats coexisting with the baboons, which was a pretty :3: experience. Along the road was also all sorts of graffiti, really terrible graffiti, the Saudi answer to this phenomena was to graffiti over the graffiti telling kids to stop doing it.

Just around the entrance to the town were littered with fruit, and tea uh stalls, they're pretty tiny, it was customary when visiting al taif you had to try their cactus fruits, and tea. Pomegranate too if you like those, not very keen on those but they did taste better than the ones i had in the UAE. The last few hours at the day i spent with my family and our hosts on a picnic of sorts, it was in a park and the weather was surprisingly pleasant compared to Mecca and Jeddah.

I'll make a seperate post for my last day doing umrah.

Edit: anyone curious about the expenses involved in an ad-hoc umra like mine? because a very legitimate grievance for alot of Muslims is the costs, and i'm not sure if its Saudi itself or the Meccans being mercantile bastards from way before Islam :v:

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 6, 2015

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

This is really interesting stuff about Malaysia, thanks goons!

Apologies for being late, but the last day of Umra wasn't really eventful, after returning from Al Taif, we basically relaxed for the night in Mecca, and on the last day did the tawaf. Much like starting the Umra you end it with 7 laps around the Kaaba, its also the perfect time to try and grab some Zamzam water to bring back with you, never did really like the taste of it :v: but they are pretty nice gifts to people if you want to do that. It used to be people had their own containers they took back to their home countries, but nowadays they stopped all that, because by the time you're back home at least one container was broken and leaking all over the place. You pay what amounts to 1 dollar for 5 liters thats specially packaged for flight, and each traveler is now restricted to one container (or two if the airline will allow it, YMMV).

One thing of note about Mecca is this:

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Middle_East/Saudi_Arabia/East/Makkah/Makkah/photo1454017.htm

I'm gonna link this for reference because its very hard to find on google, they're all around Mecca. These sort of red brick, poorly built buildings is what happens when pilgrims decide they're not going back to their country and would rather spend the rest of their lives praying in Mecca. Its illegal, but authorities are incapable of solving this phenomenon.

Also yeah, with regards to arranged marriage, its awful as hell but also the norm. Gonna use me as an example, but my mother basically arranged my marriage because she is good friends with another family. Naturally this leads to a dysfunctional marriage (its a huge issue here). Usually married couples either live with it or they go their separate path after marriage, for me personally thats what we agreed to before marriage, parents lose guardianship after that so usually women can do whatever they want, and thankfully the authorities don't get involved.

Khizan posted:

Two halal questions:

1) I've always been under the impression that, generally speaking, anything which is kosher is also going to be halal, because the slaughtering mechanics are the same(slit throat and bleed) and because Jews are People of the Book so they can slaughter halal meat. Is that actually the case?

2) What's entailed in keeping a halal kitchen? For example, a strict kosher kitchen basically needs to keep two sets of everything because they can't ever cross the meat and dairy streams. Does keeping a halal kitchen have any requirements along those lines?

1) Halal implies the animal is already slaughtered, if the animal was slaughtered according to kosher it automatically becomes halal.

2) No such restriction in Islam, but i guess you have to clean the kitchen equipment if it has been used to prepare pork or something, just a guess though.

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 13, 2015

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Tendai posted:

As per Saudi Arabian rules: "If the applicant has converted to Islam, an Islamic certificate must be presented; this needs to be notarized by an Islamic Center." I'm not sure how they deal with it in terms of children born into it, to be honest. That doesn't apply to me if I ever go, so it's not something I've looked at. If someone else who's done it who isn't a convert knows (pssst, Fizzil), please jump in because I don't see anything about it on the Saudi website. It may be something that's done through the agencies that are accredited by the Saudis to set up Hajj and Umrah trips for people. Anyhow, this is a good overview of the requirements.

They're not banned from doing it by the Saudis like the Ahmadiyya are, and from what I'm seeing online there are plenty who have done it, so at least in terms of being allowed into Mecca and such it seems they're more or less on the same footing as everyone else in the official sense. If there's any unofficial discrimination in granting visas or anything I'm not aware of it.

Also, random interesting thing: I believe this was the first year that applicants had to state whether they were Shi'a or Sunni. This caused some pretty sharp responses in the Islamic community online because to many/most people, it shouldn't matter since we're all Muslims.

EDIT: Okay from what I'm seeing, if your family name is not traditionally Muslim, they require proof, unless you're from a country that puts religion on passports and yours is Muslim. I don't know if this is the law or just how it's practiced, but hoo boy there are some angry born-into-Islam-but-not-Arabic people who had to get certificates from their masjid to go. Understandably angry, I think. The fact that in practice at least they seem to be indicating that you're not a real, trustworthy Muslim without having the right kind of name is kind of against everything.

I didn't know this, i took it for granted because when i went to umra there weren't any hurdles for me (i think UAE citizens in general, i know a few shia who didn't face this). This is all sorts of awful, but thats par the course for saudi arabia i guess :v:

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Tendai posted:

At least if the world ends Fallout-style I might have a chance to eat a BLT again without breaking a rule :saddowns: I am not ashamed to admit that I miss those, and turkey bacon is not the goddamn same.

Although the prohibition on it is pretty clear, but back when the belief was widespread that pork was haram because it was filthy actually made people think that "with technology making it safer to it, maybe it becomes halal?", it was seriously considered here at least :v:

I haven't tried pork bacon, probably won't, but turkey bacon is much more tolerable than any other kind of bacon i have ever tried.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

ashgromnies posted:

Why are westerners who haven't grown up in Islamic countries so critical of Ayaan Hirsi Ali? Like when she was a guest on the Daily Show, Jon Stewart would hardly let her talk, speaking over her whenever she tried describing her experiences, basically denying her the expression of them.

Do you think she makes any good points, and why do you think "liberal" western media is so opposed to her?

Not everything she says is wrong, some parts of islamic societies in the middle east and africa are backwards as hell, awareness and rejection of these practices is possible and does happen, from within mostly though. She generalizes alot and doesn't really make any distinctions between muslims, just that Islam is bad and should be destroyed.

Its all about presentation here and I mean to draw a parallel, since i'm not a westerner, but a middle eastern muslim, critique of Islam is not unheard of but its generally ignored in favor of takfiri sectarianism and how [insert sect, or even other sunni groups of people] are utterly wrong and should be destroyed, you'll understand why people are weary at this sort of language, and i don't really blame the "liberal" media at ignoring it.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Hey islam thread what's up?

How the gently caress do they identify people in burqas other than fingerprinting? Do they just take the lady in a private room and take off her headpiece? How do passport pictures work? Is it offensive for a male attendant to see a passport with a non-burqa lady picture on it (like, is this a social issue?)?

This isn't "them turrists" this is "do they just fingerprint literally every burqa person? How does this work?" because I imagine there has to be some way. Otherwise identity theft would be tremendous, surely?

Here in the UAE, a female security person handles it, and they take off the burqa in a seperate room and take a picture of their face. Passports do not allow pictures of people with burqas on, and i'm pretty sure this is the same in Saudi Arabia, but don't take my word for it, i heard it from other saudis.

EDIT: fwiw it was pointed out apparently in hadith that women who cover their face would be akin to having a "litham", a litham means "face covering" this includes niqab (a war niqab is made out of chainmail) this means they're engaging in crossdressing which is super haram, because its what men do when engaging in banditry.

I mean this is one way to talk against the niqab, but then again you have the religious heads in saudi debating eyepatches for women so only one eye is visible from a niqab, or even both eyes covered by a mesh screen of sorts like the burqa in afghanistan.

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 26, 2015

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Huh. Okay then. So they basically put the picture away as a "just in case" and file it under her name on the passport, but it isn't actually like, shown to someone processing. That's pretty neat. I assumed it was something like that, but I appreciate it being laid out. Thanks!

I worded it poorly, i meant to say passports must have pictures on them, and the photo must show the face, but the process to take these photos is handled by female security members.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

I just dont get where people get this idea where if you sin its all over for you, for the longest time in my life i was taught that people are judged for everything in the afterlife, but the good they have done can outweigh their sins, and this is why there is minor and major sins, its obviously classified and weighted. The basic things in Islam to be considered a muslim is to pray, fast, give to charity and go to hajj, but what if a homosexual muslim did all these would he still go to hell for it because he engaged in sodomy?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Maoist Pussy posted:

When you die and get to bone your 72 virgins, is that considered consensual sex by social justice standards? Like, are the virgins allowed to say no? Also, where do they get 72 women for each man? Also, what do women get, because I certainly wouldn't want a bunch of virgins, na'mean?

You get a sandbox, and everything you desire automagically materializes before you.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Blurred posted:

But even if we don't take it literally, it's still pretty distasteful. That having 72 sex slaves can apparently be used here as an appropriate metaphor for the rewards of heaven, tells me that I probably don't want to be part of any of the literal heavenly rewards, whatever they may turn out to be. It's a bit like saying, "if you do what we say, we'll let you kick a puppy in the dick"! I mean, do I really want to be part of an organisation which uses puppy dick-kicking as a metric of happiness?

Well you don't have to do any of that though, my understanding is that its one of the things you can have, other parts of the qur'an mentions comfort, rivers of wine, etc i imagine its supposed to be a place where you can have anything without being distracted by anyone or anything.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

Even sex slaves?

Also, how is this any different from the Quran& The Gays situation earlier? You take the gay passage absolutely literal with zero wiggle room for interpretation. But the virgins passage is totally metaphorical and should not be taken literal? Why are they different?

Are houris really slaves though? their description is that they aren't human, and are created for sex so i dunno really how is that any different from say a sexbot.

Is the other question directed towards me? i'm pretty sure my stance towards homosexuals is different from other posters, and i personally have no problems or see any problems from being muslim and homosexual, there are groups that exist that are exactly that, because you know people have different interpretations to things.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Cingulate posted:

"Heaven is 72 sexbots".
None of the muslims ITT have stated they have a personal problem with homosexuals from what I can tell. They've all emphasized it's only God (and some deluded men) who will go after the gays.

I know its a really horrible comparison :v: but people have various fantasies that aren't ok to have in this life, i mean sure its ok to have fantasies as long as you separate it from reality, but why not in heaven, you basically won and get to do whatever you want, thats the idea anyway.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Cingulate posted:

IMO, bad incentive structures are the main problem in basically everything ever. The kind of people who only does nice things because they're waiting for their turn to drunkenly have sexbot orgies is not the kind of people you can build a truly good society with. You want the kind of people for whom kindness is inherently rewarding - where heaven is a place where you're still being nice to others, or at least treating people with basic respect, because that's the kind of person you are.

I'm pretty sure they also mention you won't be stepping on anyones toes in heaven, and its a place of excess where every need is satisfied. I don't know why you care if someone indulges in their sexual fetishes that is literally materialized with magic or whatever, they aren't harming anyone. How is this any different from programming a video game that has really terrible themes? does that make the player not a good person because he likes these games?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Don't believe in God, no love for you. That's the ONLY requirement to go to Heaven in Islam. Literally the ONLY one.

Abu Talib is used as an example of that, he was pagan until his death but a good person who protected the prophet from persecution and tried to calm things down in the community, its very debatable because there is hadith on people who aren't that but were granted heaven because of small things ( hadith of the prostitute that gave the thirsty dog water comes to mind) being granted heaven. We really cant pass judgment is what im saying.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Panniculus Rift posted:

I've seen people say that men and women are supposed to be equal in islam. Does this mean "a woman should be able to do the same things as a man at all times," or "Allah loves all men and women equally, even though women are subordinate to men".

Its more the latter, women are spiritually equal and will get the same rewards in the afterlife. They're also exempt or not obligated to do things that men do.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

Do all Muslims pray facing Mecca or whatever, or is that a practice unique to certain groups. What if you don't know where Mecca is, what is the sop given that.

Facing Mecca is required, but if you don't know you can pray in any direction, while traveling on a boat or a plane its recommended to pray facing the bow/cockpit.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

IXIX posted:

Is there a preference for saying prayers aloud or not?

Only during group prayers, its preferred to be aloud at the latter two prayers at night, and on a jum'a (the weekly friday prayer) otherwise its best to pray silently if alone.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

NihilismNow posted:

Do you need to take great circle mapping into account? For example if you are in Anchorage Alaska you might think you have to face South-East but the shortest distance is actually to face almost directly North.

No, not the shortest just the direction, distance doesn't matter.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Lassitude posted:

I'd actually be interested in learning more about what caused Islam to go from a religion which, for a time, represented the peak of scholarship in the world, to what it is now.

This is more :can: than can fit in one post to give a satisfying answer, but this regression is driven by sectarianism and the failure of secularism in the middle east.

Probably a bit offtopic i always wanted to bring this up:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Abduh

I only mention this cause this guy was a religious scholar and at least recognised in the middle east, i first heard about this when i was still in school back in 90's and its incredible cause dude advocated something similar to french laicite for governance, and debate through reason and logic to progress religion.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Jastiger posted:

You open up with dismissing the old testament, then say that the old testament isn't disputed by some scholars. Also remember religious scholars are less critical analysis of faiths and more an exercise in apologetics.

I'm more interested in a response to that question. If the old folks thought the earth was flat. But then required you to face Mecca....how do you know the shortest way to Mecca if you're on the other side of the planet? In space? Anywhere outside of 500 miles of Mecca?

Again distance doesnt matter, just the direction.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

BattyKiara posted:

Why do converts change their names? Is there a rule you can't be a muslim and still be called Kate Smith or Alan Brown?

Nah there arent any rules, its just taken for granted for some reason. Its more converts trying to fit in with the culture of said muslim ethnic group i think.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Its anecdotal but might as well share it, my understanding for Qadi is that you are hired as one after completing your education. The hierarchy here is sorta is similar to any other court system i think. But from a conversation i had with a Yemeni guy, Qadis over there are a whole caste of their own, they intermarry and their children inherit the role and basically occupy the role of a judge or arbitrator in inter/intra-clan relations. I assume its radically different depending on how developed the country is.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

BattyKiara posted:

What is the Islamic view on reproductive health? Is it seen as OK to get doctors to help you start a family? In vitro fertilisation? Hormone treatments? Sperm donors?

In vitro is allowed. Sperm donors aren't allowed, if a man is sterile or cannot produce sperm the family can adopt children. Abortion is generally a big no in many muslim majority countries unless the mother's health is at risk, some do allow early pregnancies to abort (i'd like to think that, but i'm not sure about it).

Edit: i said surrogacy is allowed, but i am wrong it isn't. I may have confused it with wet-nursing which is a totally different thing but is apparently allowed.

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 7, 2016

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Hey, happy 4th to all you Americans/Usonians or whatever :v: the 5th of july marks the last day of Ramadan, so Eid Mubarak to everyone.

Also Oman declared eid to be on the 7th, so the 6th is a fasting day there. Moon sightings differ by country, but most countries follow the Saudi declaration instead of doing it on their own, i guess Oman didn't want that. Anyone who has read into this is more than welcome to elaborate because i don't know the reasons myself.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

It is unusual because the piss-fight is usually between Saudi and Iran, who declare the eid a day earlier or later out of spite. Not this year though, weirdly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

While its generally agreed to be a sin, both The Qur'an or Hadith don't prescribe punishment to homosexuals.

Can these views change? maybe. Muslims in the west are more accepting of homosexuals than in the Muslim world, and i think its cause of two things really. Of the 22 Arab countries, the only legal LGBT group exists is in Tunisia (and it is only recently a legitimate democracy), Tunisians hold fairly conservative views and think homosexuals are abomination, but the fact groups like these aren't made illegal yet is a promising start. The second problem is the lack of a civil society, there is no support for LGBT people in the middle east because of the lack of infrastructure and environment thats conducive for that.

The muslims in the USA have a higher acceptance rating (from a pew poll as well) and from 2007 to 2014 shows improvement too, and i think its because the aforementioned elements exist over there that helps.

• Locked thread