Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Problem description: I recently built a new PC, and it runs great -- the only issue is, if I've left it in sleep mode for more than a few minutes (think 5-10ish), when I take it out of sleep mode it's as if it rebooted. Now, Windows 10 loads off my SSD in about 8 seconds so this isn't the HUGEST deal, but I'm afraid of losing data due to a badly timed restart event. Heck, the only reason I can tell that my computer crashed rather than hibernated is that after this happens, no browser windows or programs that I'd previously had active are open. Note that I can still "wake" the computer with my mouse/keyboard, and my tower acts as though it is in sleep mode (flashing power light) before I do anything. The entry in the event log shows the crash as early into the sleep cycle, rather than when I wake it up.

Attempted fixes: Went into the event viewer; the coinciding error is as follows:
code:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0xfffff68021608e58, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff803169338f4). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 092215-4640-01.
Googled that issue and saw that it was generally a memory issue. Reseated the RAM and ran Memtest, which came up with no errors. I have had zero issues with the computer while it is awake, only this recurring crashing while sleeping.

Recent changes: None. This has been going on since I first got my build up and running last month.

--

Operating system: 64-bit Windows 10, all latest updates installed.

System specs:

Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Performance
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s
Video Card: MSI GTX 970, no overclock
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 500GB
PSU: EVGA 750W 120-G1-0750-XR RT

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I had a similar problem to this and it turned out to be a bad ethernet driver for Windows 10. After disabling the adapter I haven't had any issues since.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

0x0000000a is a memory allocation error but it can be caused by bad hardware or a bad driver. Some devices don't like coming out of sleep (I can relate). It could very well be a network driver as Angelwolf said. Download WhoCrashed? from here: http://www.resplendence.com/downloads install it and hit the "Analyze" button. WhoCrashed generally gives more specific information on the crash.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the advice! WhoCrashed? identified a controller driver that my brother installed as the culprit. I'll uninstall it and report back tomorrow as to whether the crashing keeps up.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

The problem persists! The new Bugcheck code: 0x3B. Seems like it's more memory-related stuff. I've tried disabling the ethernet port (I use a PCI-e wireless card) just now as Angelwolf suggested, but past that I'm sort of at a loss. WhoCrashed suggests that FltMgr.sys is causing the issue, but as far as I can tell that's an integral Windows process?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Not a Children posted:

The problem persists! The new Bugcheck code: 0x3B. Seems like it's more memory-related stuff. I've tried disabling the ethernet port (I use a PCI-e wireless card) just now as Angelwolf suggested, but past that I'm sort of at a loss. WhoCrashed suggests that FltMgr.sys is causing the issue, but as far as I can tell that's an integral Windows process?

Can you uninstall your USB3.0 drivers and report back? Also, is your computer set for hybrid sleep?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I suppose I could get rid of my USB 3.0 drivers, but I use them all the time... I'll give it a shot, in any case.

Not sure about the hybrid sleep. I'll check when I get home from work. Didn't even know it was a thing, but it makes total sense that it might be causing the issue.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Update! Uninstalling the USB Drivers did not do anything. I disabled hybrid sleep and hibernate modes, and now I have a neat new problem. Now, when the computer comes out of sleep mode, it powers up for about 2 seconds, doesn't output any display, dies (seems to just shut off on its own), then starts back up (also on its own)!

So, the problem persists. Everything I google for seems to get intermingled with other unrelated resets-during-sleep errors. The latest error in the event viewer was Bugcheck 7e, which apparently corresponds to video drivers. It looks like there's an update for my 970, so I'll install that and hope for the best.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It's got to be one of the devices. The reason I said USB was because I've had that exact problem when coming out of sleep, and it was the USB3.0 drivers. Was this a clean install of Windows 10? There could also be a hardware issue, possibly PSU. How long did you run Memtest?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Gotcha. It was a clean install of Windows 10, so there wouldn't be any bloatware causing issues. I'm going to play round robin with disabling my drivers to see if any particular combination works. When you disabled your USB drivers, were you able to use a different set of drivers (old or otherwise) to get them up and working again? It'd be a shame to lose use of those 3.0 ports...

I ran memtest over the course of about 2 hours. I'll run it again before I go to sleep tonight.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Not a Children posted:

Gotcha. It was a clean install of Windows 10, so there wouldn't be any bloatware causing issues. I'm going to play round robin with disabling my drivers to see if any particular combination works. When you disabled your USB drivers, were you able to use a different set of drivers (old or otherwise) to get them up and working again? It'd be a shame to lose use of those 3.0 ports...

I ran memtest over the course of about 2 hours. I'll run it again before I go to sleep tonight.

I had swapped out my motherboard/CPU (P67 to Z97) but was using the previous Windows 7 install. Everything else worked fine but the USB3.0 drivers would cause a blue screen coming out of sleep. I've also had issues with Intel's 3.0 drivers on other machines so it was worth a shot. The fact that you are getting so many different types of blue screens is odd, which is why I think maybe PSU/memory.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Ran Memtest overnight, for a total of 18 hours; 0 errors, so my memory is solid, looks like.

I'm at the end of my rope here. I'm pretty close to just disabling sleep mode altogether. I'll mess with the BIOS settings a bit later on today. If nothing pans out, I'll wipe and install a fresh copy of windows 10 as a last ditch. If that doesn't work, well... I'll play musical chairs with all my hardware to isolate the source. Thanks for all the suggestions along the way, Gorson.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

Not a Children posted:

I'm pretty close to just disabling sleep mode altogether.

With a system like that, and an SSD, you can easily afford to disable sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I fixed my problem by disabling sleep and putting hibernate on a short timer. Hibernate doesn't appear to trigger the same issues for whatever voodoo hardware/driver reason. Now I get the best of both worlds, crash-free!

Plus, I don't have to cover up the LEDs on my case at night anymore.

• Locked thread