Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Good to him for owning up to it I suppose. Sucks that his brain is wired in a hosed up way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

PT6A posted:

I sure loving hope not. If you think it's great that you have kids coming up and hugging you, even if you aren't actually molesting them, it's still really loving creepy.

Still, like I've said in previous threads on this topic, to have committed a criminal act involving the sexual abuse of a child (regardless of whether it's doing it, or viewing an image/video of it), you must:

1) Have the attraction to such an action.
2) Have no moral opposition to doing such an objectively terrible thing.
3) Have no fear of getting caught.

I think we can safely assume that there are a lot of people with (1) that are missing one of the other two conditions, which means that sexual attraction to minors is more common than any normal person would like to think about. This guy, unfortunately, probably only represents the tip of the iceberg. I have no idea what should be done about all this, but it does concern me that there's probably such a high rate of people with sexual attraction to minors. If I had to say, in a perfect world, I'd probably say: de-stigmatize the attraction itself, but make it clear that any actual offence will be severely, severely punished, and make sure there's as close to 100% chance of getting caught as humanly possible.

PT6A, you seem to have mellowed out and become a much more cool guy lately. :unsmith:

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure there are extremely few Social Justice Warriors who think that pedophilia should be legitimized and protected. By and large the attitude is not "this is normal and healthy" but "the stigma against pedophilia is so extreme that it prevents people from seeking treatment." The fact that nothing exists between 'burn the witch' and 'this is perfectly normal and healthy' is a problem with a lot of things, not just this particular one. I'm sure there are extreme examples but extreme examples are not a usual mindset. (or at least shouldn't be.)

That said, 'every argument for queer rights' doesn't work here. A major issue here is that a gay person who is in a relationship with another gay person has entered into a consensual relationship with another adult. This is not a minor issue and it is where the "well, if we let gays marry we'll have to marry dogs and men too" argument falls too. Mature adults choosing to enter into a consensual relationship with one another is a very different matter from abuse of someone incapable of or unable to consent.

Trying to tie the two together is kind of gross because it ignores that very important fact. No comparison can or should get past the brick wall of "gay people have consensual adult relationships." You can't compare it to pedophilia or bestiality or whatever for that very important reason.

It is sexual preference in partners over which one has no control. The fact that there is a practical outlet for homosexuality doesn't make the comparison invalid. Hell if anything the comparison is just as strong because until just recently social views held that homosexuality was nearly as immoral as pedophillia in that you could go to jail for butt stuff.

If you go back a couple of centuries it was totally unacceptable to be homosexual but pretty openly accepted to be banging a twelve old.

Pedophiles should be shut the gently caress down for the exact issue you bring up, consent, but to say that we can't compare one inborn sexual preference to another simply because we as a society consider the other immoral seems like it's the same sort of argument that could have been made against gays in the first place.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's almost like there's an inherent difference between a sexual attraction to other consenting adults and one to children regardless of past social paradigms.

Like, yea, at one time gays were called as bad as pedophiles, poo poo we still are a lot, that doesn't magically make us brothers in arms. At one time a black dude whistling at a white woman could get lynched, but if some dude wolf whistles my little cousin I'm pretty ok with him walking out of that with a busted jaw. Past bigotries being hosed up and wrong doesn't change basic poo poo like 'wanting to gently caress a child is probably objectively a wrong thing'.

Actually it is subjectively a wrong thing, which is sort of my point. Absent belief in god (at which point you might still be in the wrong on child marriage judging by the old testament) any claim that something is objectively wrong is throwing darts blindfolded. Murder might be objectively wrong, but it's also possible that the objective morality of the universe is that murder is a good thing because the goal of all life is death or some crazy poo poo.

Don't get me wrong, having sex with a child is absolutely wrong from where I'm sitting morally, but differentiating between "Guy who wants to bang guys" and "Guy who wants to bang kids" as if there is some universal difference because our society currently approves of one or the other is wrongheaded. Pedophillia is a sexual proclivity that is almost certainly hardwired in the same was as homosexuality, and sectioning it off into its own hosed up little corner is part of the problem. Drop the hammer of god on someone if he molested a kid, but it doesn't do anyone any good to shame them if they publicly admit it, nor does it help to pretend that somehow their hardwired sexual impulse is somehow different from every other hardwired sexual impulse.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

A lot of Pedophiles were victims of abuse when they were children so it feels like it's probably a mental health issue rather than one of pure sexuality. I mean it just feels wrong someone could get sexually abused as a child then be doomed to a life of social ostracization from the result of that abuse.

As I understand it the correlation with being abused is largely incidental. There was a focus on people who turned out to molest children having been molested themselves As children and people inferred causation that data doesn't back up.

That said there is some data to support the idea that people who were abused as children will sexually abuse others, whether children or adult. So it does contribute to the acting out on the impulse that was already there.

The main thing that leads to the idea of pedophiles as a biological trait is that there is tons of data for it. Studies on pedophiles have found, for example, that they have less white matter in their brains and are statistically four times more likely to be left handed. The last one is important because the chance of that happening incidentally if there wasn't some biological factor us vanishingly small.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kegluneq posted:

:mad:y Increased left handedness has also been associated with schizophrenia, epilepsy, homosexuality (more tenuously), asexuality and being really awesome at music. The paedophilia correlation is there, but it's not very helpful by itself.

Oh I wasn't trying to say "gently caress up left handed people because they are pedophiles" or anything. Its just that if it were environmental then that correlation would be almost impossible. There is clearly a significant biological factor in pedophilliac tendencies was all I was getting across.

Caros
May 14, 2008

PT6A posted:

Frankly, the level of hysteria about pedophiles who never actually offend makes me wonder about people. It's like they think most people simply can't resist the opportunity to rape someone they're sexually attracted to if given the opportunity, and I find that deeply troubling. Having been in such a situation with a woman I was dating (she was passed out from drinking too much; turns out she was quite a severe alcoholic!), I can say it was one of the easiest things I've ever done to not-rape someone. Non-consensual sex is a pretty big boner-killer in my opinion, regardless of whether you're otherwise sexually attracted to the person.

Do you not? :archer:

Sardine Wit posted:

Yeah totally. I can't see anyone wanting to advocate for it, but equivocating pedophiles with rapists makes to me about as much sense as equivocating queer folk with rapists.

There IS an issue about child safety because children can't give consent but may appear to given their limited understanding of relationships with adults and so forth. I'm not saying any social response to pedophilia shouldn't make child safety a key plank. I'm just saying it makes sense to me that we should destigmatise a mental condition and place the stigma where it belongs which is with rapists.

Jokes aside, I did want to say thanks for your post earlier. I'd been trying to explain my point of view on this to a friend for a while and that was a solid way to do it. The problem with a child rapist isn't the child part, it's the rapist part. The child part just makes it worse.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Samog posted:

please try to stick to the original topic of this thread: guessing who has one hand, no friends, can't stop pissing pants, and is a pedo

You?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

Child rape is worse than adult rape.

Your posting is worse than either. :getout:

• Locked thread