Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Paradoxish posted:

Is there any actual treatment for pedophilia? I imagine that you can't "cure" someone of it any more than you can cure someone of their attraction to a particular sex, so the social stigma that's been created around it is actually pretty troubling.

There's no real consensus on the issue. Probably a plurality of psychologists believe that pedophilia is similar to sexual orientation and the only treatment is continued psychotherapy to keep pedophiles celibate, but that also produces a group of child molesters who are not pedophiles, and for whom permanent treatment is possible. Alternatively, you could argue that molesting a child makes you a pedophile and so probably all cases of pedophilia are treatable, we just haven't figured out how to do it for some people yet.

Vagon posted:

This bullshit about "Oh, I was fondled by someone" making it okay or alright to be a the very loving disgusting creature that did that to you is vile. No, it isn't fair or will that pain ever go away, but it does not flip a switch in you to make you want to hurt children in the future. I actually was raped when I was still a young boy. It has hosed me up to no end, but I have never been attracted to a child. If these disgusting subhumans want to "come out and be honest" then they need to stop trying to hide behind shields of "b-b-but it happened to me!". I wouldn't be surprised if the tale was bullshit anyway.

What I'm saying is, burn all pedophiles.

Personally, I'd prefer that we not have a society where we kill people on the possibility they'll do something, even though it means more work for the rest of us as a society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Caros posted:

Oh I wasn't trying to say "gently caress up left handed people because they are pedophiles" or anything. Its just that if it were environmental then that correlation would be almost impossible. There is clearly a significant biological factor in pedophilliac tendencies was all I was getting across.

What? There are all kinds of environmental factors that correlate with biological ones. Self-identifying as a homosexual or bisexual is associated with your socioeconomic environment and where you grew up. The color of your skin, if you're an American, affects your propensity for various diseases, and not because of genetics.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Some fairly major misconceptions at play here.

First of all, pedophilia is understood in psychology and psychiatry to be a paraphilia, not a sexual orientation. It is like other paraphilias, and other paraphilias are like pedophilia. In addition, only attraction to people under the age of 15 is considered to be a pathological paraphilia in need of psychological treatment to prevent people from acting on it.

Secondly, only one-half to one-quarter of reported child molestation cases are committed by pedophiles, with pedophile defined as someone who is primarily and ordinarily attracted to children. The remainder are committed by people who are not primarily or ordinarily attracted to children.

So, if we accept that pedophilia is incurable psychologically and pedophiles should die because they are incapable of acting otherwise, then we must also accept that there are a great many other fetishists that also need to be killed. Someone with a rape paraphilia, a paraphilia for turning people into inanimate objects, a paraphilia for psychically controlling people, a snuff paraphilia- these and others would need to be killed because they too have an incapacity for acting otherwise and will attempt to carry out their fetishes at some point.

On the other hand, if we believe that someone who has a rape fetish is capable of controlling and managing their urges, then pedophiles should also, despite how much more disgusting they are, be able to be capable of controlling and managing their urges. Furthermore, only a minority of pedophiles, if any at all, would be utterly without any desire for sex with an adult human being, just like with any other paraphilia.

But, we do have a culture which provides plenty of justifications and excuses for pedophilia that more obscure paraphilias don't have. Youthfulness is fetishized, innocence is fetishized, people sing about how desirable someone who's just turned 16 is, and this is considered innocent music. The Runaways were explicitly formed as a pedophilia-fetish band by their manager, who was in turn a pedophile rapist. School uniforms are considered sexy. In this environment, it's not surprising that pedophilia would be harder to treat than other paraphilias, because our culture treats a little pedophilia as perfectly normal sexuality. So there's a lot of room to work there, but of course this doesn't involve Japanese media and is "puritan", so I don't think people are likely to accept any actions to change our culture away from it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

PaleIrishGuy posted:

I would just like to point out here that psychological and psychiatric definitions are subject to swings as more research is done in or consideration given to an area, the most famous example being homosexuality being a "sociopathic personality disorder" right along side sexual sadism and pedophilia in the DSM 1, with it being reclassified to a paraphilia (sexual deviation) in DSM 2, that being revised to a sexuality in 1973 due to protests and further study.

Given the fluidity of psychiatric definitions as further study is done, it may not always be the best place from which to base an argument.

People are using psychiatry to begin with, so they can either know what the current understanding is, or offer an alternative.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tezzor posted:

The end result of research seems to be "how can we can greatly decrease pedophilia." But this is superfluous as we already know how to greatly decrease pedophilia: the castration, imprisonment and/or death of pedophiles. The only question here is how to gain a high degree of compliance with these mechanisms, which are unattractive to the individual pedophile. That is what we should be researching.

Should we cut someone's dick off if they have a hypnosis fetish? I mean, they have exactly as much ability to control or modify it as a pedophile does...

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Popular Thug Drink posted:

we'd cut someone's liver out if it was cancerous and harmful to their ability to live, why not do the same with their sexuality?

I mean, that wasn't a gotcha. If someone has an inability to control themselves or have healthy sexual relationships, it's preferable to have them live under induced asexuality if at all possible.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tezzor posted:

By grownup talk do you mean handwringing over the naturalistic fallacy, or crying about the stigma unfairly attached to being a broken freak who wants to rape children? I'm not sure where the maturity lies in refusal to do mean things that actually solve problems.

Unfortunately, we're required to be immature when it comes to you, Tezzor.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Black Baby Goku posted:

If we are being honest, 99.9 would prefer mass level extinction event of pedophiles. Only in the backwards world of LF-lite would we have people actually defending then. Social justice for pedophiles, please!!

Killing is good and I can only hope to have the opportunity to track you down and run a power drill through your skull and into your brain.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

So it's OK to want to kill people, so long as you don't have the balls to admit that it involves the whole icky violence thing where you beat someone to an undifferentiated pulp of tissue and blood with a claw hammer until they die from blood loss and shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Black Baby Goku posted:

The difference being, I don't gently caress children.

On the other hand, your posts in this thread have indicated that you are, in your own mind, as likely to commit the crime of rape as a pedophile is to molest a child. So as a consequence, there's actually plenty of justification to kill you horrifically.

• Locked thread