Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Heya goons.
My mom is thinking of adopting a cat here in South California and while I would love to have a little guy running around, I'm kinda apprehensive about the idea.
We live in a really hilly suburb with neighbours who have dogs. Our property is large enough, but I worry that those assholes might get through the fence (I saw them managing to crawl under the fence into another dude's yard). My other issue is the wildlife. We have raccoons, coyotes and eagles around here.
Did you know that apparently eagles are strong enough to pick up kittens? The previous owner had to fish out her neighbor's new kitten after an eagle dropped it into her pool. Poor guy didn't make it :smith:

With all that in mind, how do I go about raising a cat (or two?) around here, keeping them happy, preventing them from being hit by a car or becoming someone else's lunch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

With all that in mind, how do I go about raising a cat (or two?) around here, keeping them happy, preventing them from being hit by a car or becoming someone else's lunch?

You don't let the loving cat outside, it's really not that difficult.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
In most areas of the US it's common sense to have indoor-only cats. Your area seems like it fits in this CATegory.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

As someone who lives in SoCal and works in a SoCal veterinary clinic, I can tell you that all of our happy, healthy patients are indoor-only cats. We get a few cases a year, both small dogs and cats, that are coyote attacks. Almost all of them attack around the neck, and that's assuming you can get the coyote to drop your animal/leave it alone AND get to the clinic with your animal still alive.

I handle many corpses with their throats torn out, and that's not even counting the hawk/owl attacks that we get, even the rare mountain lion. I'm in Southern Orange County and I can tell you that we always, always have a 'lost cat' sign in our window. It's heartbreaking to be on either end. Just don't do it.

Keep your cats inside, they may act like they want to go outside but ultimately you and they will be happier with an indoor life. If you are worried about them escaping, chip and register them so they can get picked up. It's a small miracle whenever one does get picked up, because if they aren't chipped you can bet they will be euthed at the shelters - no kill shelters will flat-out refuse to accept adult cats in our area anymore. There are just too many of them.

I'm never worried about the cars. I'm always worried about everything else.

Edit: I wanted to add a couple of things. First of all, coyotes are hungry and desperate enough to attack toddlers in broad daylight. Please assume just because you 'haven't seen any' your critters are safe. In addition, I can assure you that all of the animals that were breathing when they came into our clinic survived the surgery and care after the attack. So it's not a totally hopeless situation, just an incredibly dangerous and scary one. It always happens very quickly and honestly it just isn't worth it for the 'freedom' they would get in the hot socal weather.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 23, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Khizan posted:

You don't let the loving cat outside, it's really not that difficult.

I'm not empty quoting this so birbmod doesn't get sads. But yeah.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
it's a really, really bad idea to let your cats out in SoCal. between the coyotes, the cars, the raccoons, and all the hawks we have around here, you'll be lucky if your cats make it. And don't assume they will be smart enough to stay out of yard with dogs, we had not one but two cats get brutally murdered in a week because they were dumb enough to think that going into a yard with 3 dogs was a great idea. Outside cats are also super destructive towards native wildlife populations and are estimated to have one kill per 17 hours outside. Cats were responsible for the extinction of 33 bird species and collectively kill 4 billion animals and ~500 million birds a year.

Just keep your cat inside man. its better for everyone involved

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I had a pet outdoor cat as a child in the boring dc suburbs and one day I found it half eaten to death. That was in my backyard with a 6 foot fence, not even adding mountain lions or coyotes or whatever wack-rear end California crap you have to contend with. So yeah another vote for "indoor cat"

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Every cat I've ever had has been outdoor and they've all died horrible deaths

Even the one that lived to be 19 still got hit by a car in the end (the rest, except for 1 or 2, never made it past age 4 or 5)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah that's about the response I was expecting. Now to convince my mom about this :sigh:

If the cat's gonna be an indoor cat I should also get a second one to keep him/her company, right? Should I two older cats, two kittens, one older or one kitten?
Anyone also have any good articles on the benefits of having two cats from vet folks? My folks are the sort who want me to show my work and google is failing me.

Thank you for the help thus far. It's super appreciated :)

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

More cats is always the answer. Phoneposting but here have a petfinder article
https://www.petfinder.com/pet-adoption/cat-adoption/adopt-second-cat/

Spitballing, I'd guess that picking up two cats you know peacefully interact at the same shelter or whatever might be an easy option.

I say older cats personally, like 2 or 3 years old. But kittens are adorable so ymmv.

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 23, 2015

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Even if google-fu is failing you, there should be plenty of clinics around if they really want to talk to a 'professional' to get their advice. Although I'm sure they exist, I haven't met a doctor or a tech who was all "yeah totally keep your cats outdoor around here". Same goes with multiple cats, two is a pretty good number, but three generally won't hurt if that's what you are looking for.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74135.html Here's a good link from UC Davis, which if it doesn't get the respect of your parents then I don't know what will.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Coyote-Warnings-Issued-SoCal-Residents-312850931.html Here's something showing coyote attacks on people mid-OC, where many people don't expect them, just so they don't wave it off as a bunch of scientists being hypothetical or whatever.

The petfinder link is a good one concerning kitties, but it may not really be a problem after all. I personally prefer older cats, but if your family is smitten with the idea of a kitten, there are plenty of shelters who have whole or partial litters. Some of them will want to go home with a sibling and this will be encouraged by the shelter workers more often than not.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I see. Thanks for those links guys! I'll definitely talk to my local shelters too :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Along with what everybody else said here are some BIRD STATISTICS! Everybody loves BIRD STATISTICS!!!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I know it's hard to post Serious Bird Facts while sporting this username but a lot of people don't understand how significant the impact of cats is on local wildlife, so here we go
  • The domestic cat is currently the greatest human-linked threat to wildlife in the USA.
  • With 150 million cats wandering around outside they, a non-native species, have become the most abundant carnivore in the country.
  • Cats kill somewhere between 7 and 20 billion small mammals a year, and between 1.4 and 4 billion birds. At 3 billion birds dead a year, that's 20% of the United States' adult bird population.
  • There are about 800 bird species in America and a third of them are threatened, endangered, or in significant decline.
It's true that the majority of these deaths are from feral cats; each cat kills between 23 and 46 birds a year. Outdoor, unfixed pets, however, contribute to feral propagation, and both fixed and unfixed cats kill birds and small mammals. One pet cat kills up to 34 birds a year. Again, this totals an average of 2.7 billion birds killed annually, many of them threatened or endangered.

(here are some sources.)

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm not empty quoting this so birbmod doesn't get sads. But yeah.

emptyquotes are ok girlie but ty :h:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We ended up getting two cats. One is a 5 month old black shorthair and the other is a 7 month old tabby. The black one has taken to the house really well and is really friendly and playful. The tabby is still adjusting. He seems to be doing okay, and plays with the shorthair, but my mom said that he apparently just randomly swats the shorthair from time to time. Like the shorthair would be lying on the floor and he would come up and paw him in the face for no reason. He's only been here for a few days, so I dunno if it's just him adjusting to his new place or if it's something serious. The younger guy is just a well-mannered cat, so I'm not sure if he'd be able to fight back.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

That's cats. There is an adjustment period and, like you being stuck with any other human for a prolonged period of time, there will be spats once in a while. "Fighting" is also a game, especially for kittens. It could be that the shorthair won't participate, which is fine. I'd only be concerned once the claws come out and go for the eyes, stuff like that. Don't be shocked if there's some nipping too - most of the time you are looking at stuff that results in a shallow scab at the worst. If they seriously start going at it, spitting and the whole nine yards, then you might want to consider finding a solution. I've seen some incredibly mild-mannered cats become bossy fighters when push comes to shove, so don't assume that the calm one will automatically lose.

You'll know when it becomes a problem, so let's just hope it doesn't get to that. As the cats adjust, you'll learn their body language which will help a lot.

Congrats on the kittens!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Alright, thank you. My folks were just worried because the little one started to claw furniture just like the big one does, which we're gonna have to do something about. The big one is also kind of afraid of dudes, so he runs away from me. I just hope he doesn't cause too much trouble for the little guy, he's so nice and friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I work at an emergency and critical care/specialty animal hospital in LA and there was one month where literally there was a cat or small dog attacked by a coyote at least once per day. many of these didn't make it. many who did required multiple days of intensive care (so $$$$$ and stress) for everything ranging from lacerations, internal damage, head trauma, blood loss, etc.

• Locked thread