Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/florida/2015/09/8577571/republican-lawmaker-says-inmates-key-defeating-corrine-brown

Republican lawmaker says inmates key to defeating Corrine Brown
GOP politician conspires to unseat black democrats by locking up and thus disenfranchising black voters

Oops I guess there was a reporter in the room. From their usual strategy this seems like it was the plan all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Mandy Thompson posted:

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/florida/2015/09/8577571/republican-lawmaker-says-inmates-key-defeating-corrine-brown

Republican lawmaker says inmates key to defeating Corrine Brown
GOP politician conspires to unseat black democrats by locking up and thus disenfranchising black voters

Oops I guess there was a reporter in the room. From their usual strategy this seems like it was the plan all along.

You managed to completely misread that entire article. They're going to put prisoners in her district by making sure the district includes a prison. If they were going to simply arrest all the black people in her district and put them in jail then they wouldn't be living in her district anymore because they'd be living in whatever district has the jail. It's still awful and this lady is a poo poo head, but it's a pretty important difference.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dr. Tough posted:

You managed to completely misread that entire article. They're going to put prisoners in her district by making sure the district includes a prison. If they were going to simply arrest all the black people in her district and put them in jail then they wouldn't be living in her district anymore because they'd be living in whatever district has the jail. It's still awful and this lady is a poo poo head, but it's a pretty important difference.
Corrine Brown is loving awful anyway. She's collaborated with the state Republicans every time they've opposed anti-gerrymandering laws because her district is gerrymandered to gently caress. It's basically her personal fiefdom.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
You hosed up reading, :ftbrg:

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Corrine Brown is loving awful anyway. She's collaborated with the state Republicans every time they've opposed anti-gerrymandering laws because her district is gerrymandered to gently caress. It's basically her personal fiefdom.

Oh, I'm fully of that and I understand that she's definitely part of the problem when it comes to gerrymandering in Florida.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Not saying it's a good thing, but it's also fairly common iirc. I think you'll see this a lot in minority districts in Illinois, particularly the 4th.

Roki B posted:

You hosed up reading, :ftbrg:

I think MT's gimmick is to be a clueless tumblerite.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

I think MT's gimmick is to be a clueless tumblerite.

Fair enough. Too bad its boring low hanging fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roki B posted:

Fair enough. Too bad its boring low hanging fruit.

I've never lived anywhere so often in the news for deplorable poo poo as since I've moved to Jacksonville.

Here's a case where both sides of an important debate are bad and wrong. Computer-generated demographic-blind districts for everyone, please.

• Locked thread