Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

There are a bunch of QBs I'd trade Dalton for but there's none named Ryan.

Matt Ryan would like a word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

AAA DOLFAN posted:

First round pick + tons of money in an extension, of course.

Andy wasn't really above average last year, he was frankly below average. But this year? He's been hitting great throws, commanding the offense, and he looks like a whole new guy. Its impressive.

There's definitely some Bad Andy still there, he's definitely missed some passes badly and his interception was straight trash. Tbqh *drops all irony shields* I'm not entirely sold until he plays well against a great pass rush, which he will on Sunday

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

WHO DAT? Who gives a damn?

Metapod posted:

A fraud without Julio, clearly.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Catfish Stevens posted:

A fraud without Julio, clearly.

I think AJ Green would be okay with having 20 passes thrown mildly in his direction a game.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

By the way, after all this Dalton fawning, it is pretty much a given that he'll throw three picks this week.

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

Kalli posted:

I think AJ Green would be okay with having 20 passes thrown mildly in his direction a game.

Much like Julio, seems like a solid plan when he's healthy!

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Burger Trench posted:

By the way, after all this Dalton fawning, it is pretty much a given that he'll throw three picks this week.
He starts seasons strong and falters with time. I'm hoping it doesn't happen this year but... we'll see.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

September has been an okay month for Dalton in the past but this was easily the best one of his career. I mean it could just be that all the talent around him is healthy and Jay Gruden isn't calling plays, at the same time. I don't know

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

I'm not trading out for the only QB in the league who's more boring and milquetoast. At least Dalton has the hair.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Atticus Finch posted:

He starts seasons strong and falters with time. I'm hoping it doesn't happen this year but... we'll see.

Don't they keep having key injuries mid-season? last year it was WRs and poo poo, I thought.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

warcrimes posted:

Don't they keep having key injuries mid-season? last year it was WRs and poo poo, I thought.

The wide receivers were pretty much instant. Jones was lost for the year during a February camp with the offense.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Have you seen incompetent QB play, Bengals dudes? No, you've had Palmer and Dalton for the last decade. Just because you long for top-shelf, surefire HoF or inscrutable bullshit QB play doesn't mean you shouldn't just bask in the glory that is average.

I've seen Cards teams go from Kurt Warner to Max Hall (say what you will about his QB talents, which he had few of, he was a loving trooper) to Ryan Lindley. I've seen Texans teams try to scrape by with TJ Yates and Matt Leinart (before Schaub's implosion, when he was hurt), post-implosion Schaub, and I've seen Case Keenum in the NFL.

Live with your average QB who sometimes turns bad. Because the alternative is far worse.

Unless you happen to stumble upon Aaron Rodgers. In which case just draft the guy and kick Andy to the curb because there ain't a team in the NFL that wouldn't replace their QB with Aaron Rodgers.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

TJ Yates beat Andy Dalton in the playoffs and played better than him, and we've seen some of the worst performances each year. But I don't think anyone was complaining about having Dalton either so I'm not sure who you are responding to

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Um excuse me we had 12 games of Ryan Fitzpatrick in there

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Have you seen incompetent QB play, Bengals dudes? No, you've had Palmer and Dalton for the last decade. Just because you long for top-shelf, surefire HoF or inscrutable bullshit QB play doesn't mean you shouldn't just bask in the glory that is average.

I've seen Cards teams go from Kurt Warner to Max Hall (say what you will about his QB talents, which he had few of, he was a loving trooper) to Ryan Lindley. I've seen Texans teams try to scrape by with TJ Yates and Matt Leinart (before Schaub's implosion, when he was hurt), post-implosion Schaub, and I've seen Case Keenum in the NFL.

Live with your average QB who sometimes turns bad. Because the alternative is far worse.

Unless you happen to stumble upon Aaron Rodgers. In which case just draft the guy and kick Andy to the curb because there ain't a team in the NFL that wouldn't replace their QB with Aaron Rodgers.

This would be a good argument if Carson or Andy had been consistently good, and if the Bengals fans on this forum were 10 years old. I was a Bengals fan in the 90s. My dad bought me an Akili Smith shirt when he was drafted. I remember people going all in on Shake and Blake. You could make a convincing argument Jon Kitna was the best QB I had seen play for my team until I was an upperclassman in high school. The real salt in the wound is that we had Aaron Rodgers for a season before his knee got Kimo treatment.

Where we have been spoiled is at WR and Offensive Tackle. Seriously, look at a list of Bengals OTs over the past few decades.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Burger Trench posted:

Nice meltdown.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

That dude is having some real problems and I would advise everyone to just give him a wide berth right now until he calms down.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

your gimmick is dumb, and annoying, which is probably the point but i would like you to know that i do not like your posting regardless

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

Alaois posted:

your gimmick is dumb, and annoying, which is probably the point but i would like you to know that i do not like your posting regardless

He's no Borsche.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Catfish Stevens posted:

He's no Borsche.

i'd even take Borsche52, that guy could tell a joke at least

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Um excuse me we had 12 games of Ryan Fitzpatrick in there

Some JT O'Sullivan mixed in there too IIRC

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Alaois posted:

Yeah the whole "nice meltdown" is bullshit spillover from TRP which is probably the worst forum for discussing anything ever.

inb4 nice meltdown

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

lol

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Tannehill is 2-0 against Dalton. Which means nothing but still, take that!

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I'd probably sacrifice all 3 QBs on our roster to satan myself for Ryan Tannehill, both as a Texan fan and a Aggie Homer.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

PrinceRandom posted:

I'd probably sacrifice all 3 QBs on our roster to satan myself for Ryan Tannehill, both as a Texan fan and a Aggie Homer.

Sorry but Satan already had his fun with 2 of your QBs.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Ruthlessly stolen from another board but I wonder how many of these we're gonna see throughout the week as film gets analysed.

This is all the same play.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Alex Smith and all, but he had maybe two seconds before the interior of that pocket dissolved in front of him. After that, if he tried that pass, across his body, on the run, with Clay Mathews in his grill it would have been a disaster.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SlipUp posted:

Alex Smith and all, but he had maybe two seconds before the interior of that pocket dissolved in front of him. After that, if he tried that pass, across his body, on the run, with Clay Mathews in his grill it would have been a disaster.

The pocket's relatively clean when he takes off. Morse is run backwards off the snap pretty badly but he'd managed to steer his guy wide. It almost certainly wouldn't have stayed clean because Charles was on Matthews one on one, but he stops him at first contact at least, Matthews throws him back but comes to a stop. If he'd kept looking that direction he could have stayed in the pocket and gotten a throw off before he gets killed.

But part of the point is he initially looks at whoever that WR is (Wilson?) and immediately gives up on the idea. Right away. Maybe that was calculated to try to look a safety off or something and he was never going there but it doesn't look good and fits in with everyone's idea of what Alex Smith is.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

When an interception is the fault of a receiver they should charge it to the WR instead of the QB imo

Especially if it hits them right in the stone hands and bounces into the waiting arms of a corner.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

:toot: Tyrod Taylor :toot:

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
As I was leaving the week 2 game against the Chargers in Cincinnati, we overheard a fellow Bengals fan say, "Andy is playing pretty good, but honestly I'd rather have Aaron Rodgers."

OH, NO poo poo, PAL?

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Eifert Posting posted:

Shake and Blake

God drat. Jeff Blake heaving moonballs to garbage receivers gave me so much hope after the Klingler years

Darnay Scott and Jeff Query Forever

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

ChickenMedium posted:

God drat. Jeff Blake heaving moonballs to garbage receivers gave me so much hope after the Klingler years

Darnay Scott and Jeff Query Forever

Your lack of Carl Pickens is disturbing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

WalletBeef posted:

:toot: Tyrod Taylor :toot:

tyrod taylor is so cool

i hope he sticks around a while

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Chromatic posted:

Ruthlessly stolen from another board but I wonder how many of these we're gonna see throughout the week as film gets analysed.

This is all the same play.

It's like that RGIII gif where he's got like five dudes open and he just runs with it.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Alaois posted:

You metapost far more than most other people here. It's very weird.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Parmesan Basil posted:

It's like that RGIII gif where he's got like five dudes open and he just runs with it.

The RG3 one was way worse and he got sacked on that play and woulda somehow got sacked on the Smith play too

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Alex Smith is like Jason Campbell more than RG3 in my opinion. scared checkdown master, to quote Lawrence Tynes. RG3 chucks it long a lot I feel, but I didn't watch the Skins a lot last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

pasaluki posted:

I heard someone say that Dalton was like the Mendoza Line of QBs only good enough to get you to a certain point but never over the hump. I think it would rule for Dalton to say gently caress that noise and make a deep playoff run.

The Mendoza line sucks, though. It's the line between poo poo and bad, not average/above average.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 30, 2015

• Locked thread