Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

How many of those QBs will be on Washington's roster next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I smell a new Washington QB!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

RG3 isn't good, but he's definitely better than anything else on the QB roster in Washington. They could've ridden him into the ground if they hadn't picked up the option, but since they did, they'll tank and end up winning whatever QB we're all supposed to be excited about in next years draft.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Correct.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Can't see vine at work, but I assume you're talking about getting 2/3 of the way through a front flip before being touched?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Catfish Stevens posted:

It's time to get in on the Chicago fire sale and bring Jay Cutler to KC.

We will give you Alex Smith for 2 seconds.

My phone tried to correct "you" to "us" . :(

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Parmesan Basil posted:

Some people have called my strong opinion on Alex Smith a "gimmick". I'm here to tell you that it never was. Sometimes my powerful emotions got the better of me and I put forth alternatives that might not be very thought out. However, I have always believed that Alex Smith is the primary reason for the Chiefs failures since he was acquired. His lack of skill causes the defense to be exhausted by the end of games and especially by the end of the season. He can't extend drives and he can't adjust his play. Once he's figured out by an above average D, the game is basically decided because he can't adjust. Thankfully, he has Charles, Kelce, and now Maclin to rely entirely on. One of them goes down and it's pretty much a season because Smith will not be able to rely on anyone else as much as those three. This is Smith's biggest failing. He basically falls apart if everything isn't perfect. His success in San Francisco was entirely because most of the team around him was bailing his worthless rear end out. He's a liability. He can't throw downfield at all. Reid has had to effectively ruin his playcalling scheme to accomodate Smith's lack of ability. Dorsey needs to get ahead of this and cut Smith as soon as it's possible. Otherwise, he'll just be like Pioli. The fans will turn against him and send him packing unless he makes the change that he needs to make.

Firing Smith at the end of the year makes the most sense, especially if you consider that he's only getting worse. Sure we'd be on the hook for a lot of dead money, but starting Smith is basically wasting money anyway so we should just do it. It would clear up some money to re-sign our other good players. I mean, I'd like for him to out on his rear end today but I understand that it's not actually very feasible. However, the sooner we move on, the sooner we can begin to rebuild the offense and get us some new young talent at the position. With a better QB, I think we have a very good offense that can achieve a better balance with the defense. That's a well-rounded team! Chase Daniel is the best and most realistic option for the moment, but his deal is up at the end of the year so we will need someone else after him. I'm not 100% sure who the best option would be in the draft but I think that after this game, Dorsey needs to be looking at all of them. That Goff kid, Cardale, hell even Hackenburg. Keep a close eye on them and get ready for the option of picking one of them. Maybe he busts and maybe he's worse than Smith, but we need to take the risk and find out. We need to move on.

Cutting him next year, even Post June 1, nets us like 26M in dead money. Or we can pay him 17M in cap space. May as well just keep him on the roster and see if we can trade him possibly. Resigning Daniel would be priority while we continue to bumble through attempting to draft a QB. If we plan to pay our other guys and resign them with a couple creative bonus structures, we could be alright.

I cannot fathom a world where I don't hold this opinion by the end of the season.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Parmesan Basil posted:

I wonder who would even be interested in trading. That's a big toxic contract to take on. Chicago wouldn't, Arizona wouldn't, Washington would be embarrassed to even consider it but maybe?

Well, the 2016 hit for a receiving team would be $14.2M, 2017 is $13.3M, and 2018 would be $17M.

So yeah... If we traded him this offseason we would end up with a little over $10M in accelerated bonus cap hit.

There's no good answer here.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

remove all stats.

replace everything with the "eye test"

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Great, we can be lovely and then react our way to 8-8!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I think he meant "helps the situation"

We all know Andy has a stranglehold on calling the plays.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Which makes me wonder if he trusts his quarterback, given what he's done in the past.

Or it makes me wonder just how much he loves those doomed to fail screens I guess. Alex was awful no doubt, but man some of those play calls. Especially the DAT shifting into the backfield screen.

I think he builds the screens into plays, but they're certainly not always the first read. Or shouldn't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Gaines was going to kick into the slot on formations with 3 CBs. Smith is an upgrade over Gaines on the outside, but we're getting roasted in the slot and will continue to be unless someone figures out how to loving play the slot or put a safety near there to help.

• Locked thread