Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, a few weeks ago my buddy asked me to come help him do a brake swap on his car, a Mk2 Scirocco.

Something about it made me really miss having a simple car, so of course my next step was craigslist. After three days, he texts me a link to a non running 89 GTI.

We went and looked, and the body was perfect. Motor...not so much. So after some haggling, we agreed on $900 for the car, a full new set of door cards, a front bumper, New single light grille, and a drat near new GTI back seat. The next two pictures are all I have from before we started pulling it apart.

So, that was on a Sunday. The following week, all this happened.

And that's where I'll leave off tonight. Doing all this on mobile, as I lack a PC, so apologies if it looks hosed up. Hopefully this thread progresses somewhat quickly, goal is at least running by Christmas.

Feel free to post any other Mk1/2 stuff you guys have.

Scuz and fartpipe can get off my back now :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I love me some old Scirocco and Mk 2 madness!

Do you need a laptop dude? I have an older Dell I can send you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Fellow goon Cuntpunch's old Tornado Red Mk2 16v GTI was one of the best cars ever made, I think. Ever since then I've been looking for one to call my own.

What's going on with the drivers' side rear quarter there? Is that paint peeling off in a sheet or is it hosed up body work underneath?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Fellow goon Cuntpunch's old Tornado Red Mk2 16v GTI was one of the best cars ever made, I think. Ever since then I've been looking for one to call my own.

What's going on with the drivers' side rear quarter there? Is that paint peeling off in a sheet or is it hosed up body work underneath?

Clear coat is peeling hardcore. It's gone entirely on the rest of the car, so it's super noticeable there just because it's not present anywhere else.

Not too concerned, more pressing is it running and driving.

Commie: that's one hell of an offer, and if you're serious then sure. Just let me know how much. Email is Choppeds10 at the googles.

I really need to get a less embarrassing email.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

I loved that car but holy poo poo what a maintenance nightmare that I had to give up due to not having the budget or garage to take care of it properly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

Commie: that's one hell of an offer, and if you're serious then sure. Just let me know how much. Email is Choppeds10 at the googles.

I really need to get a less embarrassing email.

Email sent!

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Posting to :sperg: and say the Mk2 Scirocco was actually a Mk1 chassis, just the 2nd generation of the scirocco. My ex gf bought a Mk1 with a blown headgasket off a friend of mine and I tore the head off it but never got around to putting it back together. Never forgave myself for that one, it was a clean car.

Good luck with the engine swap! Gonna go 2l? I had one for my 83 gti, but never got around to putting it in. Then I got an 88 16v scirocco which was an absolute riot. I miss both of those cars.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
AHHM SO EXCIIITED.

AHH JUS CANNT HIIIIDE IT.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

charliemonster42 posted:

Good luck with the engine swap! Gonna go 2l? I had one for my 83 gti, but never got around to putting it in. Then I got an 88 16v scirocco which was an absolute riot. I miss both of those cars.

Yep, 2l swap but it's a Frankenstein.

3a Audi block, with 16v pistons. That'll come up in a future update :v: I forgot to mention it came with a spare block and head.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I love this style of VW body. Also holy poo poo that engine is tucked back in there. After searching my craigslist I have found two diesel rabbits which may have to come home with me.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SouthsideSaint posted:

I love this style of VW body. Also holy poo poo that engine is tucked back in there. After searching my craigslist I have found two diesel rabbits which may have to come home with me.

It's super easy to get to, though. With two of us, and no cherry picker, it was about 2 hours start to finish to pull it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea just drop that poo poo out the bottom.

Also nice job on the thread, fucker. Took long enough :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea just drop that poo poo out the bottom.

Also nice job on the thread, fucker. Took long enough :v:

On the A2 chassis, it's even easier than that. The front subframe is removable, so it was literally two floor jacks and a 2x4, then just roll it out the front.

Installing is gonna be a bit harder. Hoping someone at work has a crane sitting around.

No work ended up happening yesterday, planned on doing a 60 mile ride on the bike and ended up doing 300 instead :v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

As much as I didnt want to I ended up knowing a ton about MK3 VR6s and thats the best way to pull those too, take the front end off and just slide it out easy peasy.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, with the motor pulled it was time to see what was wrong with it. PO reported that it had some bad knock, but was unsure of the cause.

Pretty sure that's not supposed to be there. Let's dig further and see what happens.

Well, that looks good. Oil pans should always be full of stripper dust.

Obviously rod bearings are supposed to be in numerous pieces.

When pulling that, all of them came out smooth except that one. The broken piece had separated, and was wedged on top of the other piece of bearing, so it was just grinding into the crank.

All of those scratches are super deep. One of them actually cut me when I rubbed a finger over it. Also pictured is kitty litter that found its way in during oil clean up.

So one motor stripped, and other motor will soon begin assembly.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Yep, 2l swap but it's a Frankenstein.

3a Audi block, with 16v pistons. That'll come up in a future update :v: I forgot to mention it came with a spare block and head.
What're the spares?

iwentdoodie posted:

It's super easy to get to, though. With two of us, and no cherry picker, it was about 2 hours start to finish to pull it.
:stare: That's awesome, might be the same with my mk4 if the Bentley's to be believed. I have plenty of 2x4s, alls I need is a spare floor jack.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
3A swaps are pretty interesting, but Audis of that era are much thinner on the ground than VWs in my experience.

That must net you some static CR at least, if you're using the 3A head.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

3A swaps are pretty interesting, but Audis of that era are much thinner on the ground than VWs in my experience.

That must net you some static CR at least, if you're using the 3A head.

Ah, but that's the rub.

It's a 3a 8v block. But it has 16v pistons, block off plate where an 8v dizzy goes, and an intermediate shaft driven oil pump. So it's essentially a 9A with Audi markings, at this point.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scuz posted:

:stare: That's awesome, might be the same with my mk4 if the Bentley's to be believed. I have plenty of 2x4s, alls I need is a spare floor jack.
The bolt-in front crossmember/beam really does make it a lot easier than you'd expect.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Ah, but that's the rub.

It's a 3a 8v block. But it has 16v pistons, block off plate where an 8v dizzy goes, and an intermediate shaft driven oil pump. So it's essentially a 9A with Audi markings, at this point.

If you need a spare 16v dizzy, I still have one sitting in my garage. Had it for going on 10 years now, still waiting for the swap to happen :smith:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Not much to report. Electric bill was higher than giraffe pussy the past two months, so funds are a bit tight for parts.

Motor has accessories bolted on, New RMS, and at this point I'm needing a timing belt kit, head gasket kit, and a shifter rebuild kit to get it running/moving. Then before it'll be driveable it'll need new front strut mounts/bearings.

But today I started to tackle removing the lovely harnesses that are inside. Driver side still has a seat belt, thankfully, but it had a lovely g force harness that expired in 2009. Pass side I need to track down a seatbelt assembly, as it had a sparco belt that was made in 2004. Both sides are 90% removed, but I'm going to have to either pull the seats or shave down a socket to remove bolts, as they're bolted inside the god drat seat track.

As you can see, they are very safely mounted.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
My girlfriend wanted to know what I was laughing at and when I said "higher than giraffe pussy" she asked, and I quote, "what the gently caress website IS that?"

Question: how'd the brake swap on the Scirocco go? Did you swap the rear drums for discs?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

scuz posted:

My girlfriend wanted to know what I was laughing at and when I said "higher than giraffe pussy" she asked, and I quote, "what the gently caress website IS that?"

Question: how'd the brake swap on the Scirocco go? Did you swap the rear drums for discs?

The brake swap was just going to a later front disc set up. G60 I think? And it would have went great, but we noticed as we tried to reinstall that they had sent incorrect followers and pads, so nothing fit. So it was basically a really long, pain in the rear end excuse to bleed the brakes.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Still not much work, but didn't want this thread to die.

Is this approved PPE for sanding/grinding nasty poo poo?

Was sanding the coolant tee off of the head, believe this is an output from the head, and also to the oil cooler. Think this is too corroded to reuse?

Also found this under my bench, forgot I ever made this. Drunken night and scraps of wood.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

iwentdoodie posted:

Was sanding the coolant tee off of the head, believe this is an output from the head, and also to the oil cooler. Think this is too corroded to reuse?

Mine looked nastier with that, just went to town on it and didn't have any issues reusing it. Name of the actual machine alludes me but I used the wire brush side of my dad's grinder, thing looked like new by the end.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Good deal. I was planning it anyway, but good to hear others have also. The shiny spots are where my dremel sanding wheel actually touched :v:

I'll probably get a small wheel for the dremel and just use that.

Also just removed the well expired harness from the pass side, since I had some energy tonight. Seat slides so much better without it.

Now I just need to find an entire seat belt assembly :v:

Edit: and figure out what I'm going to do with these recaros. And find a steering wheel.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
If you want to blow your power steering in a week I've got a momo steering wheel the size of a kart steering wheel with a Mk1 adapter that may or may not work on a Mk2.

edit: pic for reference

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 20, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Welp.

Flipped the driver seat up to remove that lovely harness, and this is how the seat is supported. God drat POs.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

1500quidporsche posted:

If you want to blow your power steering in a week I've got a momo steering wheel the size of a kart steering wheel with a Mk1 adapter that may or may not work on a Mk2.

edit: pic for reference

Does it have the normal momo Allen bolts? I already have a momo wheel, it's just beat to absolute poo poo.

And my legs hit the bottom of the wheel, so I'm either gonna need a spacer or a smaller wheel anyway :v:

I tried to take a picture of it, but my phone was at 19%...And when I took the picture it straight up died.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

Does it have the normal momo Allen bolts? I already have a momo wheel, it's just beat to absolute poo poo.

And my legs hit the bottom of the wheel, so I'm either gonna need a spacer or a smaller wheel anyway :v:

I tried to take a picture of it, but my phone was at 19%...And when I took the picture it straight up died.

yup takes the allen key bolts.

I've got the exact same issue with my legs which was the idea behind the steering wheel. Being an idiot I didn't factor in that with no power steering it would just be loving impossible to maneuver with summer tires on. I was going to see if that wheel bolted up to my kart since the one on it has seen better days. If you want the adapter PM me I'm sure we can work something out, I can't see me ever using it again so I can let it go cheap.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

1500quidporsche posted:

yup takes the allen key bolts.

I've got the exact same issue with my legs which was the idea behind the steering wheel. Being an idiot I didn't factor in that with no power steering it would just be loving impossible to maneuver with summer tires on. I was going to see if that wheel bolted up to my kart since the one on it has seen better days. If you want the adapter PM me I'm sure we can work something out, I can't see me ever using it again so I can let it go cheap.

Yeah, car has summer rubber on it now and obviously no PS hooked up, but I can steer it no issue.

If you wind up wanting to dump the wheel and not just the adapter, let me know. Email is choppeds10 at the googlez, as I have no PM.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

iwentdoodie posted:

Welp.

Flipped the driver seat up to remove that lovely harness, and this is how the seat is supported. God drat POs.

Ha! I'm that PO. The NOS 25 year old recaros I put in the 242 broke in the same place. I used a ratcheting strap haha. I'll get if fixed someday...

I spent all weekend cruising in this. It's a 91 16v. My buddy wants me to help him itb it and MS it.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
:stare:

Are those Audi A8 wheels?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Nope, some sort of Porsche wheels. They're in good shape but I think they're too gaudy.

This car makes me want one for myself. Same friend has a lead on a mk1 gti that I have been given permission to pick up if it becomes available.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

mafoose posted:

Nope, some sort of Porsche wheels.

Those are from a 928.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Was wondering the other day whether this thread was still doing thangs!

Are you gonna junk those seats? Try just reinforcing them with like 2"-wide nylon straps where those stupid wires are. Yeah, you'll have to sew things, but it'll look much better and probably be more comfortable.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Long term plan is re foam the lower bolsters, and reupholster both seats. I really want plaid.

But if I can find a good deal on some better seats I'll probably grab em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Steering wheel picture with non dead phone.

Right leg is on the brake, left leg is clutch on the firewall. Obviously doable, but a spacer would probably be nice. Or a smaller wheel.

• Locked thread