Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

That is depressingly generous of them. In a perfectly sadistic world, a Platinum trophy would require you to kill Carnage Baal with a full 20 stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Go through at the highest star value you can and just Land Decimator everything to push the Kill Bonus to its softcap of 400. It goes above that but don't even try it, seriously. You then need to push Training Bonus until the base stats of the item max out. That is, they stop going up from Training Bonus alone; you can tell this happens if you have a capped-level item yet the stats continue increasing. You can technically do this at any star level once Kill Bonus is maxed.

An item with 400 KB and maxed TB is, for all intents and purposes, as good as it'll get absent being leveled up to 500 and then to 9999. The only thing to add is that Item God kills add more Unique Innocent options to said item. The more perfect the item, the better it is to duplicate, and the deeper you've gone in the item the more likely it is to be successfully duplicated.

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008

Raitzeno posted:

That is depressingly generous of them. In a perfectly sadistic world, a Platinum trophy would require you to kill Carnage Baal with a full 20 stars.

Keep in mind in the japanese version Baal was released as a patch a while after the main game was released, so there is no trophy for defeating Baal at all there, and they didn't patch in any trophies for the international release. Same thing for all of the PS3 Disgaea games, as Baal was also a patch added in for D2, and was DLC for 3 and 4.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Nakar posted:

Go through at the highest star value you can and just Land Decimator everything to push the Kill Bonus to its softcap of 400. It goes above that but don't even try it, seriously. You then need to push Training Bonus until the base stats of the item max out. That is, they stop going up from Training Bonus alone; you can tell this happens if you have a capped-level item yet the stats continue increasing. You can technically do this at any star level once Kill Bonus is maxed.

An item with 400 KB and maxed TB is, for all intents and purposes, as good as it'll get absent being leveled up to 500 and then to 9999. The only thing to add is that Item God kills add more Unique Innocent options to said item. The more perfect the item, the better it is to duplicate, and the deeper you've gone in the item the more likely it is to be successfully duplicated.

Good to know, thanks. It's unfortunate that you really DO have to clear floors to reach 400 KB, but oh well. Let's see how much patience I have left for this once I hit Platinum trophy :toot:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Is there a strategy guide or a repository of info available yet? This game is pretty sweet but I feel so lost and the internet is super unhelpful.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Monolith. posted:

Is there a strategy guide or a repository of info available yet? This game is pretty sweet but I feel so lost and the internet is super unhelpful.

There's no paper strategy guide unfortunately, Disgaea 4 was the last game in the series to get one. There are a few GameFAQs guides and the wiki on the Disgaea subreddit has some good info too. If you have specific questions or want a "what should I do" for a certain point in progression, you can always post here.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

There's no paper strategy guide unfortunately, Disgaea 4 was the last game in the series to get one. There are a few GameFAQs guides and the wiki on the Disgaea subreddit has some good info too. If you have specific questions or want a "what should I do" for a certain point in progression, you can always post here.

DD2 got a really nice hardback version that I was hoping was going to be the new trend but then D5 got nothing

D4's was a lovely Bradygame's one I think that didn't touch what made Doublejump's guides so great

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

How do I get shards and extracts for my Sage. She's at 10 million but can only do like, 3 star Asagi.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

one good way is to put your sage in the (fully upgraded) Capture Squad and run LoC Martial Training 3 at as many stars as you can, using Capture Skill 3 to one shot it. It's a quick way of getting 9 high-stat captures which, after several runs, you can combine into a 255-bear extract.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Drythe posted:

How do I get shards and extracts for my Sage. She's at 10 million but can only do like, 3 star Asagi.

I took prisoners instead! Just run Carnage Martial Training (4 should be best) and see how high you can go. The Capturing skills from the capture squad all scale with INT, so just slap on all Evilities that boost INT and damage. An enemy counts as captured once the Capture skill would do enough damage to kill it (it obviously never really deals damage, it's just treated as if), so if you weaken the enemies with other characters first, your designated Capture character (most likely your Sage) will have an easier time. As far as I know, everything else boosting damage also counts towards capture skills, so feel free to use Magic Boost, Angel Song evilities, Usalia, Archers for combo buildup and whatnot. At some point, it's less about how high you can set the difficulty stars, but rather how you can do this with as little setup as possible in a reasonable time...

Apropos reasonable time, I'm now proud owner of the Disgaea 5 Platinum trophy! Now all that remains is maxing out that Trapezohedron (just discovered that Death Blows DO NOT count for Kill Bonus :shepicide: ), duplicating it a bunch and turn a couple other characters into monsters to TAKE DOWN CARNAGE BAAL. I hope it's doable without doing Chara World, because that is the most tiresome poo poo I've ever seen in a Disgaea game.

Seriously. gently caress Chara World.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

What can you all tell me about interrogation?

Also I proposed a bill for the Samurai Party people and got it to pass but I'm not sure what it did.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Monolith. posted:

What can you all tell me about interrogation?

It's much less than meets the eye. Level up the interrogation squad, then spam your leader's special until all prisoner SP is depleted. If for some reason you can't do that in five tries, go fight a quick garbage battle and come back with five more tries.

Releasing prisoners does nothing except contribute to that "population" number that triggers some quest rewards.

Applying fully-interrogated prisoners to your squads triples their contribution (level x3 points instead of level). Always do this.

Alternatively, fully-interrogating prisoners allows you to covert them into items that increase all stats by a certain amount. These are good alternatives to grinding up stats. A very high-rank maid can learn an evilly that amplifies this effect significantly if you use the item in battle (it'll spread to other characters, giving them all the bonus).

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Draile posted:

Applying fully-interrogated prisoners to your squads triples their contribution (level x3 points instead of level). Always do this.

God drat it

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Draile posted:

Welp

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Interrogation goes lightning-fast once you have access to Carnage world, too... I've basically just slapped a Megaphone onto my Sage as I levelled the Trapezohedron, and interrogated all prisoners from there; for every ~20 levels in there, I got extracts and shards with a sum value of ~600.000 for every stat. Getting the 10 Million shard/extract stat bonus for five characters goes quite fast now.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If the leveling requirements for a squad are absurdly high, don't bother until you can catch guys with four-digit levels. Some squads like Elite Four just aren't meant to be leveled until you can easily full-interrogate 9999s. The exception would be squads that are super useful like the Capture Team or Innocent Hunters.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

On the other hand, if you have Metallia, go to the Asagi stage with as many stars as you can handle and just devour a huge number of them at once. This is even better if you have Petta to leave even fewer leftovers afterward to clean up. Even characters that are "only" a few hundred levels apiece are worth plenty when you have a full brig and interrogate them all in one fell swoop.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hahahahahaha

Carnage Baal is dead

DEAD

Blessed be the Curry

gently caress YOU BAAL

I'M FREE FROM MY SELF-IMPOSED IMPRISONMENT

I'M FREE

...right after I get these other characters up to speed, I mean your stats are under 70 Mio, that just BOTHERS me

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

How is exp split? Do characters need to kill enemies or can they gain XP just for being out?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

They need to get the killing blow

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Characters also gain xp for using healing or support magic, and there are evilities that boost those gains substantially. One story character also has an evilly that grants xp to every character on the field at the end of a battle in which he is deployed.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Ok cool. I just got the curry girl and haven't done any of the next world yet. I find it a little difficult to keep everyone around the same level.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

There's also a Squad that automatically grants characters XP and Mana over time (Defensive Outpost Squad, I think?), but I have no idea when/how it's unlocked. I forgot two Lv1 characters in there, and they actually reached Lv9999 over time...

Another way of sharing XP is to build towers and attack with them. As far as I can tell, the XP is split evenly between everyone in the tower. Just include one or more actually strong characters in there, and they won't have any problems one-hitting strong enemies. Just remember that you can only include one monster in the tower at the very top, since monsters can't lift. UNLESS...

...you use Magichange. Just magichange Usalia (or any other monster) onto another character. You don't even have to use it as a weapon, just select the offhand slot. If you do that, any XP the character gains is also shared with the magichanged monster. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same or split up, though...

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Monolith. posted:

Ok cool. I just got the curry girl and haven't done any of the next world yet. I find it a little difficult to keep everyone around the same level.

You can magichange her onto someone so that she gets a portion of the xp. She also has a bad rear end magichange skill for fist users

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Another way to earn some exp is to use items, on the character or someone else. They appear to have added a percentage-based XP bonus for using items, perhaps to help out Maids who are focused on item usage. This does scale with the Cheat Shop's sliders and +X% Exp geo tiles. If someone's way behind you could have them chug Unopened Sodas and the subsequent Opened Sodas for 1/8 a level at a time baseline, but this will take a while so it's probably better to just use it to get a couple levels or to get somebody up to speed.

If you're using a lot of characters and feel behind the curve, once the Cheat Shop is available you can alter the balance into Exp gains instead of stuff like Money or Skill Exp. Just bear in mind that overshooting the curve will make the entire main part of the game too easy if your characters get overleveled. In the postgame of course you'll be wanting to ram the sliders to the max to level characters to the cap in a single battle, but doing that in the story will ruin any semblance of challenge. In fact if you get everybody up to par and want to maintain the challenge you could even move the Exp slider down and get more Mana (which you'll always, always have a need for) or Skill Exp and Weapon Mastery.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah I don't want to do the cheat shop until later but it's a good option.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The game restricts how far you can alter the sliders in the Cheat Shop based on story progress, so you can't really skew it too hard until later on. Lowering the Exp slider will only make the game harder in general, so it's a good option if you're worried about being overleveled. And you get other stuff in the process, so it can be a nice thing to tweak.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

The point of Disgaea games is always to hit big number territory as fast as possible.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I learned a valuable lesson tonight: When in the item world and at a bank, don't talk to the lady more than a couple times, especially if your main guy is only a 103.

Two hours down the drain.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Monolith. posted:

I learned a valuable lesson tonight: When in the item world and at a bank, don't talk to the lady more than a couple times, especially if your main guy is only a 103.

Two hours down the drain.

You'll be frustrated by this, but you can use a skill that moves your target, like some punch skills, to move the cat and use the hidden teleporter beneath it to dodge that fight.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Draile posted:

You'll be frustrated by this, but you can use a skill that moves your target, like some punch skills, to move the cat and use the hidden teleporter beneath it to dodge that fight.

You are correct.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hell, don't talk to ANYONE more than twice in the Item World. They're really twitchy.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Where is Hurricane Slash? Did Killer Spin replace it?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
This game completely flew under my radar.I noticed on the ps store that it had Makai Kingdom DLC. I bought it and it's pretty good. i''m at chapter 15. A few chapters were boring but it picked up nicely in the later chapters. I immediately bought the Makai Kingdom DLC, before realizing there was a season pass. Any tips on postgame grind? Start with the ordeals map?

In my opinion Makai Kingdom is the best game NIS has produced. Any word on when or if they will port/remaster that one? Makai Kingdom was actually my 1st Disgaea game and the 1st game that made me stay up all night without realizing it until i saw the sun rise. I never knew grinding could be so much fun. But Makai Kingdom kept me going mainly because the story/dialogue was pretty good and i couldn't wait to find out how these postgame battles would resolve themselves. I immediately grabbed DLC Zetta. He is so broken. His stat increase is amazing.
Also, this is the best image (so far) in Disgaea 5

This game made me get back in the mood for Disgaea.
Should i grab all the DLC?
Which game should i play next?
I've played
Makai kingdom (Amazing, loved the story. such a shame Crispin Freeman doesn't voice Zetta anymore. I feel he really nailed the voice acting)
Disgaea 2 (pretty great. Liked the story, postgame was a bit insane to get into)
Disgaea afternoon of darkness (pretty good)
Disgaea 3 (I found this one to be ehhh, not that great)

I stopped playing Disgaea games after 3

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sefal posted:

Which game should i play next?
I've played
Makai kingdom (Amazing, loved the story. such a shame Crispin Freeman doesn't voice Zetta anymore. I feel he really nailed the voice acting)
Disgaea 2 (pretty great. Liked the story, postgame was a bit insane to get into)
Disgaea afternoon of darkness (pretty good)
Disgaea 3 (I found this one to be ehhh, not that great)

I stopped playing Disgaea games after 3

Disgaea 4 is fantastic, still my favorite Disgaea game (admittedly I haven't finished Disgaea D2, so I guess it might be better?) You should play Disgaea 4.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Sefal posted:

In my opinion Makai Kingdom is the best game NIS has produced. Any word on when or if they will port/remaster that one?
They already did once and didn't release it in English, so don't hold your breath.

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008

FractalSandwich posted:

They already did once and didn't release it in English, so don't hold your breath.

Why didn't they bring the re-release of Maki Kingdom out here in the states? Did the original not sell well enough internationally?

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
It was a PSP game in 2011, so presumably they didn't want to release it on a system that was beyond dead. Still sad that we never got any ports of it, while Phantom Brave went on to release on like 5 more systems.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Alright so what's the fastest way to get my characters' stat numbers up because apparently they only gain levels and mana in the not in battle squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Nameless Fool posted:

Why didn't they bring the re-release of Maki Kingdom out here in the states? Did the original not sell well enough internationally?

At the least, IIRC there IS a fan translation patch, so you can experience the extra content.

• Locked thread