Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Main Paineframe posted:

The most egregious human rights violation you could come up with - in loving Saudi Arabia, of all countries - is the execution of an anti-government dissident?

I honestly can't even tell what the fuss is about. Is it because they're executing a protester? Egypt's done that by the hundreds. Is it because he was a child when he committed the crime? There are 71 people sitting on death row in the US for crimes they committed as a juvenile. Is it because the manner of execution doesn't pretend to be civilized like the US practice of paralyzing people first so they can't express pain when we inject them with liquid agony? Is it because he alleged that he was tortured, like tens of thousands of other prisoners all over the world? What makes this case notable enough to be examined and objected to separately from the countless other instances of these things all over the world? I mean, other than "because it was done by Islamists instead of against Islamists"?

Not since 2005. Far too late but atleast that's stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Main Paineframe posted:

Sure, what's your point? Based on the title and very limited OP of this thread, I expected you to be criticizing Saudi Arabia's human rights record, not halfassedly calling out the US for supporting Bad People.

The stoppage wasn't retroactive, though. Everyone who was sentenced to death for a juvenile crime before 2005 remained on death row after that decision, and will continue to remain there until they are executed or exonerated. There's 71 left.

Just when I'm slightly optimistic about something...

• Locked thread