Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I hope ole Rubes gets the nom. Watching Bernie feed him to a wood chipper in front of a live audience will be entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Thump! posted:

I hope ole Rubes gets the nom. Watching Bernie feed him to a wood chipper in front of a live audience will be entertaining.

If Sanders were to get the nomination, Rubio would be the worst possible opponent to have in the general election. They'd have the biggest age difference and Rubio is capable of putting enough of a future minded spin on the tired old republican platform to trick swing voters.

Honestly I think Rubio is the GOP's strongest contender for the general, regardless of who wins the Dem nomination.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

If Sanders were to get the nomination, Rubio would be the worst possible opponent to have in the general election. They'd have the biggest age difference and Rubio is capable of putting enough of a future minded spin on the tired old republican platform to trick swing voters.

Honestly I think Rubio is the GOP's strongest contender for the general, regardless of who wins the Dem nomination.

His own party hates him and he doesn't tap in the GOP inner Id effectively like the other candidates.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

etalian posted:

His own party hates him and he doesn't tap in the GOP inner Id effectively like the other candidates.

Polls show he's the number 1 number 2 choice among republicans and the least disliked.

Let's be real here, at the end of the day, Republicans only have three viable candidates for the general election: Bush, Rubio, and Kasich. Sooner or later the establishment will have to rally around one of them. Bush has a lot of baggage, and Kasich doesn't appeal to the base, so Rubio is their best option. Unless Trump can maintain his poll numbers (they say he's hit the ceiling) and actually wins the nomination. Plus Trump even got booed at a Christian Conservative thing for dissing Rubio.

If the establishment prevails and Bush or Rubio gets nominated, the Trumpistas in the base are just going to suck it up and vote republican anyway, if only to spite the democrats. Unless Trump breaks the GOP loyalty pledge...

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I have a hard time believing that the republican ticket will be anything other than Rubio/Kasich or Bush/Kasich. It would literally give them the best chance of winning Florida, Ohio, and the election. The republican establishment must realize this and will force it through somehow or another. I think there are enough swing voters who can't stand Hillary (she is also a terrible campaigner who never does herself any favors) that they could win fairly comfortably.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

funzo2226 posted:

I have a hard time believing that the republican ticket will be anything other than Rubio/Kasich or Bush/Kasich. It would literally give them the best chance of winning Florida, Ohio, and the election. The republican establishment must realize this and will force it through somehow or another. I think there are enough swing voters who can't stand Hillary (she is also a terrible campaigner who never does herself any favors) that they could win fairly comfortably.

Bush isn't winning anything comfortably unless evidence emerges that Clinton used her private email server to sell national secrets.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

My opinion on Marco Polo:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
there are real issues to talk about

shut the gently caress up about water Marco

you ain't thirstier than California bitch

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Nobody gives a poo poo about keeping the embargo on Cuba so water jokes are all he's got

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
He's gonna save a lot of money by defunding Planned Parenthood and instituting Forced Parenthood

No abortions for anyone! Miniature American flags for all.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
marco rubio used to have frequent, passionate gay sex with norman braman

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

stoutfish posted:

marco rubio used to have frequent, passionate gay sex with norman braman

hot if true

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The GOP primary voters are not choosing a Hispanic guy, it is just not going to loving happen in this timeline. I would put almost any amount of money on this, if I had any money with which to do so.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

mdemone posted:

The GOP primary voters are not choosing a Hispanic guy, it is just not going to loving happen in this timeline. I would put almost any amount of money on this, if I had any money with which to do so.

A lot of conservatives are quite enthusiastic about supporting minorities if that minority totally espouses their worldview. See Alan Keyes and Ben Carson.

On the other hand, if Rubio starts showing any Hispanic culture or political leniency on immigration, they will turn on him quickly.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

He won't do either of those things, and he'll tow the line as hard as anyone (rape babies unite!) but it isn't going to do him any good in South Carolina, where if he finishes in the top three I will eat a map of the United States.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

mdemone posted:

He won't do either of those things, and he'll tow the line as hard as anyone (rape babies unite!) but it isn't going to do him any good in South Carolina, where if he finishes in the top three I will eat a map of the United States.

Those things are called 'hispanic outreach' and it's the whole reason he's there. They have to give the hispanic community something in order to get votes. He's not gonna jump up and say "hell yeah let's build a wall twice as big as Donald Trump's". He can't. The republican party took a hard slant to the right straight out of the gate and Rubio is going to get trampled when he stops to remind people that hispanics are human beings, so I doubt you'll have to eat a map.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

glowing-fish posted:

A lot of conservatives are quite enthusiastic about supporting minorities if that minority totally espouses their worldview. See Alan Keyes and Ben Carson.

On the other hand, if Rubio starts showing any Hispanic culture or political leniency on immigration, they will turn on him quickly.

I don't know how much cultural expression it would take for Rubio to scare off the racists and xenophobia in the base, but being white, he has some wiggle room.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

lol is that rubio?

Reaganball Z
Jun 21, 2007
Hybrid children watch the sea Pray for Father, roaming free

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
this marco rubio guy sure drinks his water well. i aint never seen anyone love a tall cold glass of water more than this wise guy. what a thirsty son of a bitch

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Rubio is the sole reason why California is in a drought

oh your thirsty? 2 bad *imports a boatload of fiji water into my home* :smug:

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
If Rubio is ever winning then the Republicans will destroy him with comparisons to Obama. "If you thought Obama was young and inexperienced why would you vote for Marco Rubio?" The only candidate younger and less experienced than Obama...

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Fall Sick and Die posted:

If Rubio is ever winning then the Republicans will destroy him with comparisons to Obama. "If you thought Obama was young and inexperienced why would you vote for Marco Rubio?" The only candidate younger and less experienced than Obama...

That's literally already starting: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/10/01/jeb_bush_turns_on_marco_rubio_compares_him_to_obama.html

No one except Bush (his competition) and Trump (the Twitter insult king) are going to do it though.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lastgirl posted:

there are real issues to talk about

shut the gently caress up about water Marco

you ain't thirstier than California bitch

people won't shut the gently caress up about the time he got dry mouth (which was admittedly pretty funny), and it makes him look weak and ridiculous so he had to do something to defuse it so people can take him seriously again

the SOTU water thing was basically his dean scream moment with the difference that he may actually be able to recover from it

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Cnut the Great posted:

he may actually be able to recover from it

well yea, thats what water is supposed to do, refresh you and all that. you can recover once you finish a glass of water.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Stereotype posted:

lol is that rubio?

Rubio nailing that kid in the dome with a football was one of the few political news stories that penetrated the Trump bubble here

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Stereotype posted:

lol is that rubio?

That's Scott Walker as a child.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Lord of Pie posted:

Rubio nailing that kid in the dome with a football was one of the few political news stories that penetrated the Trump bubble here

I still can't stop laughing at that.

He beaned the hell out of that child. Suuuure, some will say that child had poor hand-eye coordination, but I know the truth.

We know the truth.

MARCO

RUBIO

WANTS TO

HIT YOUR KID

WITH A BALL

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

Rubio is technically the sexiest presidential candidate, but he doesn't have much competition this cycle.

Look at this noob forgetting Joe Biden is in the race.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Isn't that his own kid, or like a nephew or something? Seems like Marco Rubio hates traditional families.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

funzo2226 posted:

As things are, neither side is going to win comfortably, and the Republicans doubly so.

The highest Republican share of the popular vote in the last 25 years has been 50.7%. Even if the Republicans win Florida and Ohio, they still have to win pretty much all of New Hampshire, Virginia, Iowa, Nevada, and Colorado.

I guess it is a matter of perspective. There are lots of places where you can drive 1000 miles and be in Republican territory. But those 1000 miles might have as many people as Brooklyn. The Republicans are fighting an uphill demographic and electoral fight.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Polls show he's the number 1 number 2 choice among republicans and the least disliked.

Let's be real here, at the end of the day, Republicans only have three viable candidates for the general election: Bush, Rubio, and Kasich. Sooner or later the establishment will have to rally around one of them. Bush has a lot of baggage, and Kasich doesn't appeal to the base, so Rubio is their best option. Unless Trump can maintain his poll numbers (they say he's hit the ceiling) and actually wins the nomination. Plus Trump even got booed at a Christian Conservative thing for dissing Rubio.

If the establishment prevails and Bush or Rubio gets nominated, the Trumpistas in the base are just going to suck it up and vote republican anyway, if only to spite the democrats. Unless Trump breaks the GOP loyalty pledge...

lol if you really think kasich has any chance. he is huntsman 2.0. his base hates him and his only support is from rootless cosmopolitans that will vote for whoever has a d next to their name.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely
are you guys really this hilariously provincial? loving kasich as a serious republican contender lol

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

fun tunnel posted:

lol if you really think kasich has any chance. he is huntsman 2.0. his base hates him and his only support is from rootless cosmopolitans that will vote for whoever has a d next to their name.

I acknowledged that he has no support in the base, I'm talking the general election, not the primary. Bush or Rubio could still pick him as a vice if nominated, knowing the base can't tea party their way out of voting with the establishment in a presidential race so they may as well aim for the middle.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I acknowledged that he has no support in the base, I'm talking the general election, not the primary. Bush or Rubio could still pick him as a vice if nominated, knowing the base can't tea party their way out of voting with the establishment in a presidential race so they may as well aim for the middle.

for what possible reason would they do that? i know the gop is inept but a vp the base hates with limited outside appeal sounds like a D voter dreaming of a landslide victory.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

if bush or rubio are running for pres a year from now the gop is a dead party.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely
kasich has ohio and a few pro gay statements. no conservative will vote for him and any liberal will vote for the D candidate. what is the possible upside for republicans?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If elected he will replace the eagle on the presidential seal with a single glass of water

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

etalian posted:

If elected he will replace the eagle on the presidential seal with a single glass of water

i hope this is it cause thinking proles in the hinterland will vote for some yankee governor with a fag kid is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

fun tunnel posted:

i hope this is it cause thinking proles in the hinterland will vote for some yankee governor with a fag kid is hilarious.

Mitt Romney won the majority of the white vote in 2012, meaning there were some white folks who must've switched their vote who had voted for Obama in 2008 and Romney in 2012. Kasich appeals to those people, and if you look past policy, Hilary has like ability and trust issues, so the establishment republicans might be appealing to shallow moderates as well. Also Dick cheney's daughter is a lesbian.

• Locked thread