Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Normally a ticket that could win Florida and Ohio would be kind of a big deal but I don't imagine very many outside Ohio know who Kasich is and his 30 seconds between two debates didn't get his name out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lord of Pie posted:

Normally a ticket that could win Florida and Ohio would be kind of a big deal but I don't imagine very many outside Ohio know who Kasich is and his 30 seconds between two debates didn't get his name out there.

Besides midwest is only good at producing astronauts, serial killers and failed corrupt politicians.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Mitt Romney won the majority of the white vote in 2012, meaning there were some white folks who must've switched their vote who had voted for Obama in 2008 and Romney in 2012. Kasich appeals to those people, and if you look past policy, Hilary has like ability and trust issues, so the establishment republicans might be appealing to shallow moderates as well. Also Dick cheney's daughter is a lesbian.

why would cynical whites vote for kasich over any other republican/democrat candidate? he is milquetoast and centrist neo-conservative/liberal. i know you guys get wet thinking of a republican thats ok with gay marriage but he has zero substance to win over his base.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely
if the gop establishment/media is foolhardy enough to run a bush/rubio ticket wth kasich as vp it is suicide.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

fun tunnel posted:

if the gop establishment/media is foolhardy enough to run a bush/rubio ticket wth kasich as vp it is suicide.

Any candidate you like so long as it isn't Trump

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Any candidate you like so long as it isn't Trump

dehumanize yourself and face to TRUMP

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

fun tunnel posted:

why would cynical whites vote for kasich over any other republican/democrat candidate? he is milquetoast and centrist neo-conservative/liberal. i know you guys get wet thinking of a republican thats ok with gay marriage but he has zero substance to win over his base.

Kasich and Rubio have the strength that in the general election no one is coming out to vote against them. They actually have the best shot of winning against Hillary just by the base being mobilized against her. As opposed to the openly evil or batshit crazy sorts the base loves that would draw Sanders supporters out to hold their nose and vote for Hillary.

But yeah, the base is going to jettison everyone who has anything remotely resembling appeal to a moderate or undecided, and just hope they can gerrymander/make it illegal for enough undesirables to vote.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

fun tunnel posted:

Well, luckily, that's what's going to happen.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Rubio's own brand of white house bottled water should be choice

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Jewel Repetition posted:

Well, luckily, that's what's going to happen.

They're going to try, you mean. They've poisoned the well against hispanics. Rubio is going to come just shy of getting lynched by his own party members. On top of that, Republican voters don't want to hear the party line, because the party loving sucks. They said they were gonna get rid of Obamacare - nope. Can't impeach him. Nothing out of Benghazi. The economy still sucks. The establishment doesn't realize that the voters are rejecting them, and the puppets they put up are too transparent.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Coolness Averted posted:

Kasich and Rubio have the strength that in the general election no one is coming out to vote against them. They actually have the best shot of winning against Hillary just by the base being mobilized against her. As opposed to the openly evil or batshit crazy sorts the base loves that would draw Sanders supporters out to hold their nose and vote for Hillary.

But yeah, the base is going to jettison everyone who has anything remotely resembling appeal to a moderate or undecided, and just hope they can gerrymander/make it illegal for enough undesirables to vote.

you guys do understand that anti-mexican protectionism is a very popular view?

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Coolness Averted posted:

kasich and rubio have already had their view point destroyed by trump. i said it earlier but its hilariously provincial to think either of them will pull any significant number of base votes.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
yeah that's why I said "The base will throw them out but in the GE they'd actually be strong"

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Coolness Averted posted:

yeah that's why I said "The base will throw them out but in the GE they'd actually be strong"

that is my question. the base hates them and any lib will vote for whoever has a d next to their name. what is the end goal?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

fun tunnel posted:

that is my question. the base hates them and any lib will vote for whoever has a d next to their name. what is the end goal?

Gentler stances on issues like gay marriage appeal to moderates now, not just liberals.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Rubio making a comeback in the polls.

It's "Happening." :geno:

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

etalian posted:

Besides midwest is only good at producing astronauts, serial killers and failed corrupt politicians.

I believe Ohio has produced more US Presidents than any other state

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
It seems like Ohioans are mostly known for their natives who did their best to get out of Ohio.

Presidents who then lived in D.C. (and then got a mountain in Alaska because of dumb gold prospectors), the Wright Brothers who flew their plane in North Carolina, astronauts who got as far away from Ohio as humans have been...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

point of return posted:

It seems like Ohioans are mostly known for their natives who did their best to get out of Ohio.

Presidents who then lived in D.C. (and then got a mountain in Alaska because of dumb gold prospectors), the Wright Brothers who flew their plane in North Carolina, astronauts who got as far away from Ohio as humans have been...

The astronaut thing makes sense to me. After living in Ohio you want to get far away as possible and going to space is the natural conclusion for this urge.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I believe Ohio has produced more US Presidents than any other state

Nah, that'd be Virginia. There were 8 Virginian natives in the White House.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

who is rubio? i follow american politics pretty closely for a european and the only things i know are 1. looked like a doofus drinking water, 2. bad think on abortion, 3. ann coulter is mad at him about immigrants

??? someone write something explaining who the person most ;likely to be the gop candidate is

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Sai posted:

who is rubio? i follow american politics pretty closely for a european and the only things i know are 1. looked like a doofus drinking water, 2. bad think on abortion, 3. ann coulter is mad at him about immigrants

??? someone write something explaining who the person most ;likely to be the gop candidate is

This is all based on my very imperfect knowledge (like most Americans I only pay attention to Florida Mans when they're committing interesting crimes), but here's what I've gathered over the last several years:

Marco Antonio Rubio is a product of Florida state politics, which is itself as weird as everything else about Florida. He was elected Senator in the 2010 midterm elections which were when the OBAMA IS A GAY KENYAN mob newly minted Tea Party got to flex its political muscles for the first time. In the primary Rubio was running against ex-governor Charlie Crist (then a Republican), and won mostly because Crist was painted as a moderate and Rubio as the hot new Principles Conservative who'd stick it to Obama. Given that Crist then ran as an independent (essentially handing Rubio victory by doing so) and is now a Democrat they were right about Crist, but not about Rubio.

Since Rubio has been in the Senate he's earned infamy by daring to cooperate with Democrats. He's part of the infamous "Gang of Eight" - Republicans who supported a major immigration reform bill. That's just one of his many "betrayals" of the Tea Party he's committed by trying to actually pass functional legislation instead of destroying the federal government out of spite like a good Tea Party Republican should.

So while Rubio has the socially conservative credentials (i.e. his let-the-mother-die anti-abortion extremism) he's been too cooperative with Democrats (especially on immigration) for the tastes of much of the GOP base. If he'd been on the national stage in 2008 he might have had a shot at the presidency in 2012 but I personally don't think he does this time around.

(Also people who actually know politics good: please tell me where I'm wrong about any of this. I'm not actually sure how much Tea Party support he got in the Florida Senatorial primary for one thing.)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Two things left out is he's in a swing state that matters for the general election so being appealing to Democrats and moderates is a good thing.
He's also a Cuban American, which especially in Florida makes him 'one of the good ones' so not at as big a disadvantage for being a minority.

The Republican Party in the US has the weird thing with minorities, especially latinos. The party leadership realizes demographic wise they need to court them, but a lot of their core voters are whitebread racist fucks. So the party needs to do a weird tap dance of stirring up fear for the brown horde while also convincing the latinos to come be their friend.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

Two things left out is he's in a swing state that matters for the general election so being appealing to Democrats and moderates is a good thing.
He's also a Cuban American, which especially in Florida makes him 'one of the good ones' so not at as big a disadvantage for being a minority.

The Republican Party in the US has the weird thing with minorities, especially latinos. The party leadership realizes demographic wise they need to court them, but a lot of their core voters are whitebread racist fucks. So the party needs to do a weird tap dance of stirring up fear for the brown horde while also convincing the latinos to come be their friend.

Well Donald Trump crashed the gently caress out of your tap dance and that poo poo's basically over as long as sheriff Trump is in town

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Jewel Repetition posted:

Gentler stances on issues like gay marriage appeal to moderates now, not just liberals.

do you really think this is true? have trouble imagining there is a sizable number of americans that care about gay marriage that would go rep if only they were democrat lite on social issues.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

fun tunnel posted:

do you really think this is true? have trouble imagining there is a sizable number of americans that care about gay marriage that would go rep if only they were democrat lite on social issues.

Much like the inroads to hispanic voters, it is now and always was a pipe dream.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Much like the inroads to hispanic voters, it is now and always was a pipe dream.

without feigning interest in social conservatism they have flooding the country with cheap 3rd world labor, wars for isreal and tax cuts for our oligarchs. outside of the donor class, apocalypse crazed evangelicals and jews thats not winning many votes.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

fun tunnel posted:

without feigning interest in social conservatism they have flooding the country with cheap 3rd world labor, wars for isreal and tax cuts for our oligarchs. outside of the donor class, apocalypse crazed evangelicals and jews thats not winning many votes.

I think you've had enough to drink for one night, son.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
http://www.theonion.com/article/david-koch-delivers-suit-note-reading-wear-tonight-51545

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
One other thing the above description didn't note is that Rubio is pulling an Up Or Out move here. His senate term ends in 2017 and he isn't running for reelection to the Senate. Rubio is very much counting on either being the nominee or being the nominee's VP pick, if neither of those pan out he is going to be without a job come Jan. 2017. (He'd inevitably run for Governor of Florida in 2018, but still)

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Even though he's passing Jeb! in the polls, Rubio's proving himself to be just as fussy.

Rubio gives up on Senate: ‘He hates it’

Alternately this could just be a long-term ploy to prove he's not "just another politician".

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Even though he's passing Jeb! in the polls, Rubio's proving himself to be just as fussy.

Rubio gives up on Senate: ‘He hates it’

Alternately this could just be a long-term ploy to prove he's not "just another politician".

quote:

All failed. Rubio’s only successful bill that year was one to name September as National Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month.

quote:

In his second year, Rubio had better numbers. He got four bills through the Senate. But all were symbolic resolutions, including such controversial items as “A resolution congratulating the Miami Heat for winning the National Basketball Association Championship.”

:laffo:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Now here's a candidate I can relate to! *cheapest guitar solo that was available to license plays*

http://youtu.be/D1Bgi3LOAfI

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Maybe they'll pick Cruz as VP just to get him out of the Senate.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
why bother, he's already out of the Senate most days anyway :v:

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Marco Rubio will be the first president to resign 100 days in because it's boring.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

point of return posted:

Marco Rubio will be the first president to resign 100 days in because it's boring.

And VP Ted Cruz becomes president, it all goes according to plan!

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Now here's a candidate I can relate to! *cheapest guitar solo that was available to license plays*

http://youtu.be/D1Bgi3LOAfI

Hey, at least he's a Dolphins fan :v:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
To be fair to Rubio he might've had homework to do. Tough being a senator on a school night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Has anybody's computer been infested with malware after visiting Rubio's official website? I get little pop up ads for Rubio now randomly. I'm not the only one apparently. https://m.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3noi7r/infected_with_malware_after_visiting_a_marco/

• Locked thread