Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Polls show he's the number 1 number 2 choice among republicans and the least disliked.

Let's be real here, at the end of the day, Republicans only have three viable candidates for the general election: Bush, Rubio, and Kasich. Sooner or later the establishment will have to rally around one of them. Bush has a lot of baggage, and Kasich doesn't appeal to the base, so Rubio is their best option. Unless Trump can maintain his poll numbers (they say he's hit the ceiling) and actually wins the nomination. Plus Trump even got booed at a Christian Conservative thing for dissing Rubio.

If the establishment prevails and Bush or Rubio gets nominated, the Trumpistas in the base are just going to suck it up and vote republican anyway, if only to spite the democrats. Unless Trump breaks the GOP loyalty pledge...

lol if you really think kasich has any chance. he is huntsman 2.0. his base hates him and his only support is from rootless cosmopolitans that will vote for whoever has a d next to their name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely
are you guys really this hilariously provincial? loving kasich as a serious republican contender lol

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I acknowledged that he has no support in the base, I'm talking the general election, not the primary. Bush or Rubio could still pick him as a vice if nominated, knowing the base can't tea party their way out of voting with the establishment in a presidential race so they may as well aim for the middle.

for what possible reason would they do that? i know the gop is inept but a vp the base hates with limited outside appeal sounds like a D voter dreaming of a landslide victory.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I acknowledged that he has no support in the base, I'm talking the general election, not the primary. Bush or Rubio could still pick him as a vice if nominated, knowing the base can't tea party their way out of voting with the establishment in a presidential race so they may as well aim for the middle.

if bush or rubio are running for pres a year from now the gop is a dead party.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely
kasich has ohio and a few pro gay statements. no conservative will vote for him and any liberal will vote for the D candidate. what is the possible upside for republicans?

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

etalian posted:

If elected he will replace the eagle on the presidential seal with a single glass of water

i hope this is it cause thinking proles in the hinterland will vote for some yankee governor with a fag kid is hilarious.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Mitt Romney won the majority of the white vote in 2012, meaning there were some white folks who must've switched their vote who had voted for Obama in 2008 and Romney in 2012. Kasich appeals to those people, and if you look past policy, Hilary has like ability and trust issues, so the establishment republicans might be appealing to shallow moderates as well. Also Dick cheney's daughter is a lesbian.

why would cynical whites vote for kasich over any other republican/democrat candidate? he is milquetoast and centrist neo-conservative/liberal. i know you guys get wet thinking of a republican thats ok with gay marriage but he has zero substance to win over his base.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely
if the gop establishment/media is foolhardy enough to run a bush/rubio ticket wth kasich as vp it is suicide.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Any candidate you like so long as it isn't Trump

dehumanize yourself and face to TRUMP

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Coolness Averted posted:

Kasich and Rubio have the strength that in the general election no one is coming out to vote against them. They actually have the best shot of winning against Hillary just by the base being mobilized against her. As opposed to the openly evil or batshit crazy sorts the base loves that would draw Sanders supporters out to hold their nose and vote for Hillary.

But yeah, the base is going to jettison everyone who has anything remotely resembling appeal to a moderate or undecided, and just hope they can gerrymander/make it illegal for enough undesirables to vote.

you guys do understand that anti-mexican protectionism is a very popular view?

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Coolness Averted posted:

Kasich and Rubio have the strength that in the general election no one is coming out to vote against them. They actually have the best shot of winning against Hillary just by the base being mobilized against her. As opposed to the openly evil or batshit crazy sorts the base loves that would draw Sanders supporters out to hold their nose and vote for Hillary.

But yeah, the base is going to jettison everyone who has anything remotely resembling appeal to a moderate or undecided, and just hope they can gerrymander/make it illegal for enough undesirables to vote.

kasich and rubio have already had their view point destroyed by trump. i said it earlier but its hilariously provincial to think either of them will pull any significant number of base votes.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Coolness Averted posted:

yeah that's why I said "The base will throw them out but in the GE they'd actually be strong"

that is my question. the base hates them and any lib will vote for whoever has a d next to their name. what is the end goal?

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Jewel Repetition posted:

Gentler stances on issues like gay marriage appeal to moderates now, not just liberals.

do you really think this is true? have trouble imagining there is a sizable number of americans that care about gay marriage that would go rep if only they were democrat lite on social issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Much like the inroads to hispanic voters, it is now and always was a pipe dream.

without feigning interest in social conservatism they have flooding the country with cheap 3rd world labor, wars for isreal and tax cuts for our oligarchs. outside of the donor class, apocalypse crazed evangelicals and jews thats not winning many votes.

• Locked thread