Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Thump! posted:

I hope ole Rubes gets the nom. Watching Bernie feed him to a wood chipper in front of a live audience will be entertaining.

If Sanders were to get the nomination, Rubio would be the worst possible opponent to have in the general election. They'd have the biggest age difference and Rubio is capable of putting enough of a future minded spin on the tired old republican platform to trick swing voters.

Honestly I think Rubio is the GOP's strongest contender for the general, regardless of who wins the Dem nomination.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

etalian posted:

His own party hates him and he doesn't tap in the GOP inner Id effectively like the other candidates.

Polls show he's the number 1 number 2 choice among republicans and the least disliked.

Let's be real here, at the end of the day, Republicans only have three viable candidates for the general election: Bush, Rubio, and Kasich. Sooner or later the establishment will have to rally around one of them. Bush has a lot of baggage, and Kasich doesn't appeal to the base, so Rubio is their best option. Unless Trump can maintain his poll numbers (they say he's hit the ceiling) and actually wins the nomination. Plus Trump even got booed at a Christian Conservative thing for dissing Rubio.

If the establishment prevails and Bush or Rubio gets nominated, the Trumpistas in the base are just going to suck it up and vote republican anyway, if only to spite the democrats. Unless Trump breaks the GOP loyalty pledge...

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

glowing-fish posted:

A lot of conservatives are quite enthusiastic about supporting minorities if that minority totally espouses their worldview. See Alan Keyes and Ben Carson.

On the other hand, if Rubio starts showing any Hispanic culture or political leniency on immigration, they will turn on him quickly.

I don't know how much cultural expression it would take for Rubio to scare off the racists and xenophobia in the base, but being white, he has some wiggle room.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Stereotype posted:

lol is that rubio?

That's Scott Walker as a child.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

fun tunnel posted:

lol if you really think kasich has any chance. he is huntsman 2.0. his base hates him and his only support is from rootless cosmopolitans that will vote for whoever has a d next to their name.

I acknowledged that he has no support in the base, I'm talking the general election, not the primary. Bush or Rubio could still pick him as a vice if nominated, knowing the base can't tea party their way out of voting with the establishment in a presidential race so they may as well aim for the middle.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

fun tunnel posted:

i hope this is it cause thinking proles in the hinterland will vote for some yankee governor with a fag kid is hilarious.

Mitt Romney won the majority of the white vote in 2012, meaning there were some white folks who must've switched their vote who had voted for Obama in 2008 and Romney in 2012. Kasich appeals to those people, and if you look past policy, Hilary has like ability and trust issues, so the establishment republicans might be appealing to shallow moderates as well. Also Dick cheney's daughter is a lesbian.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Even though he's passing Jeb! in the polls, Rubio's proving himself to be just as fussy.

Rubio gives up on Senate: ‘He hates it’

Alternately this could just be a long-term ploy to prove he's not "just another politician".

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Now here's a candidate I can relate to! *cheapest guitar solo that was available to license plays*

http://youtu.be/D1Bgi3LOAfI

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/marco-rubios-crisis-of-faith-213553

quote:

He liked “the contemporary gospel message,” the simplicity of the focus on the scriptures, of Christ Fellowship—but what he really wanted, and needed, he thought, was “the actual body and blood of Jesus.”

Could this be the origin of the water thing?

one paragraph later posted:

This was in May of 2008. “Let me finish with one more thought, and this is just the truth, and I hope no one gets offended—no one should,” Rubio said. “And that is this.” He took a sip of ice water from a styrofoam cup, seeming to gird himself.

Yep.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Rubio stumbles three times and gets crucified. Will his poll numbers rise again?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CnaN8W4356c

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The twist is that Rubio isn’t Byerley. He’s the robot that Byerley sucker punches on stage.

Christie for planetary co‐ordinator 2052.

The punching incident reminds me of Ben Carson. What if he stabbed a guy in public and his poll numbers went up?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Honestly I think Rubio is the GOP's strongest contender for the general, regardless of who wins the Dem nomination.

Seriously though, I think he could win the general, if only because people don't trust Hillary and are scared of Bernie.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Rival Campaigns Pounce as Marco Rubio Cancels Second Event in 24 Hours

I'd love to see Rubio finish 4th or worse after the party and the media started investing so much in him. Just imagine the Jeb! cycle repeated, but with Rubio in his place.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Lord of Pie posted:

It's Vancouver and the tugboat is flying a tiny Canadian flag off the back

hahahaha

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

So far I only heard that Trump won Nevada, has Rubio given his "tonight we made history" 'victory speech' yet?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

After Trump called him "Little Marco" Rubio responded by calling Trump "Big Donald." Do you think he called him "Daddy" backstage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

i think hillary just got used to running in this lofty sphere and he didn't realize how bad she was at running

• Locked thread