Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

stoutfish posted:

marco rubio used to have frequent, passionate gay sex with norman braman

hot if true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Sai posted:

who is rubio? i follow american politics pretty closely for a european and the only things i know are 1. looked like a doofus drinking water, 2. bad think on abortion, 3. ann coulter is mad at him about immigrants

??? someone write something explaining who the person most ;likely to be the gop candidate is

This is all based on my very imperfect knowledge (like most Americans I only pay attention to Florida Mans when they're committing interesting crimes), but here's what I've gathered over the last several years:

Marco Antonio Rubio is a product of Florida state politics, which is itself as weird as everything else about Florida. He was elected Senator in the 2010 midterm elections which were when the OBAMA IS A GAY KENYAN mob newly minted Tea Party got to flex its political muscles for the first time. In the primary Rubio was running against ex-governor Charlie Crist (then a Republican), and won mostly because Crist was painted as a moderate and Rubio as the hot new Principles Conservative who'd stick it to Obama. Given that Crist then ran as an independent (essentially handing Rubio victory by doing so) and is now a Democrat they were right about Crist, but not about Rubio.

Since Rubio has been in the Senate he's earned infamy by daring to cooperate with Democrats. He's part of the infamous "Gang of Eight" - Republicans who supported a major immigration reform bill. That's just one of his many "betrayals" of the Tea Party he's committed by trying to actually pass functional legislation instead of destroying the federal government out of spite like a good Tea Party Republican should.

So while Rubio has the socially conservative credentials (i.e. his let-the-mother-die anti-abortion extremism) he's been too cooperative with Democrats (especially on immigration) for the tastes of much of the GOP base. If he'd been on the national stage in 2008 he might have had a shot at the presidency in 2012 but I personally don't think he does this time around.

(Also people who actually know politics good: please tell me where I'm wrong about any of this. I'm not actually sure how much Tea Party support he got in the Florida Senatorial primary for one thing.)

• Locked thread