Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

RideTheSpiral posted:

see i dont get this. why remain chemically dependent on nicotine if you quit smoking?

Because nicotine is baller as gently caress yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Thump! posted:

Because nicotine is baller as gently caress yo

yeah but the other chemicals in cigarettes are what makes them so drat tasty

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

RideTheSpiral posted:

im sure you could get cigarette flavored e-cigs

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

RideTheSpiral posted:

Well yeah, that and the death.

Murder is tasty :shrug:

Even if you're murdering yourself.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

RideTheSpiral posted:

I switched to vaping after smoking for 10 years and it took me like 2 days to get used to it.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
Might as well, back a decade or two ago you used to be able to get free poo poo with upc's so your lovely habit would bank you cool poo poo like

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

www posted:

weed with deal with the insomnia, anxiety and severe irritability

Well, the insomnia and irritability, anyway.

But 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Business Gorillas posted:

this is true but i'd rather look like a dumbass for 30 seconds while i toke robot dilz than smell like cigarettes and stink up my entire house

Do smokers even still smoke in their own houses anymore??

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

RideTheSpiral posted:

maybe 6 or 7 drinks but im cutting back

Feeble

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
taper off with cigars/cigarillos or maybe even a pipe

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mariana Horchata posted:

taper off with cigars/cigarillos or maybe even a pipe

Fedora too

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
OP the key is to understand that you are of two minds on smoking and the one that desires nicotine is the lesser mind - really, just a creature that wants immediate satisfaction no matter what the cost - and only has control over you so long as you do not recognize it, in your higher rational mind, as the little poo poo that it is, hth

Lt Dan Ice Cream
Jul 29, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I quit the smokes cold turkey several years ago. It was easy for me because I was unemployed at the time. When I quit the booze a couple years later I got an ambien 12.5mg er prescription.

I'd recommend that for quitting smoking too. Good sleep makes all the difference. Good luck and congrats!

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Good for you OP. An ex gf I was close to got cancer, and I know it wasn't due to smoking, but visiting her in the hospital when she was diagnosed really freaked me out, and every time I wanted a cigarette, I just thought of that moment, and it really helped me quit.

It's not that I hadn't lost relatives and stuff to cancer, I had, but that poo poo was different because it was all old people and old people die. Seeing someone my age in the hospital with cancer and watching her go through chemo made me realize anyone can get cancer and I decided I wanted to reduce the risk of me getting it as much as possible. Also, exercise helped me out a lot. I quit cold turkey after smoking for 9 years.

Good luck OP.

edit: my friend ended up beating cancer :unsmith:

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
bumpin dis to say godammn i am thirsty AF

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Just replace your nicotine addiction with booty addiction

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i smoke 35 packs a day

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
and by packs i mean ding dongs

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
:chloe:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Use my surefire quitting method:

First, get yourself on the patch. This takes care of the physical addicition.

Second, find a chewing gum you like to help with the oral fixation

Third, buy a bigass bag of weed. Whenever the cravings get too bad, roll a fatass joint and smoke it like a cig. Continue smoking fatties until you are so baked you forget you wanted a cig. You won't have a real nic fit since youre on the patch, and once you get appropriately high you will stop focusing on wanting a CIG and end up doing something totally different for a few hours.

Eventually you won't even want a cig anymore. Plus you'll be way cooler

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RideTheSpiral posted:

I have insomnia, anxiety and severe irritability

this sux balls yo

My stomach hasn't stopped hurting for three days, and I contemplated divorce over a pile of dirty laundry.

Wall Is Life
Sep 29, 2015

#NoBanNoWall
Friendly reminder that smoking cigs makes you cool

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Ilustforponydeath posted:

My stomach hasn't stopped hurting for three days, and I contemplated divorce over a pile of dirty laundry.

i feel you brother. im at a week now i can barely walk without having crippling shortness of breath

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
I love smoking, it feels so good. And outside at the bar is a great place to pick up bitches who have gone outside by themselves to smoke.

Remember, if she smokes, she pokes

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
My friend took chantix and it gave him terrible nightmares which made him want to not stop smoking.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Stoic Commie posted:

I love smoking, it feels so good. And outside at the bar is a great place to pick up bitches who have gone outside by themselves to smoke.

Remember, if she smokes, she pokes

what you are doing there is actually rape fyi

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
keep it together op.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

nomadologique posted:

keep it together op.

thanks m8

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

in my opinion the options for quitting are two:

1) just don't do it, like anytime you want to, don't

2) realize that, regardless of addiction, it's still a choice to pick up a cigarette, put it in your mouth, light it, etc; if you short circuit that choice at any of those steps, you will have not smoked

1 can work without 2 but i can't really see 2 working without 1 so ??

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i have quit and then unquit a bunch of times, right now i am quit, poo poo keeps bringing me back in tho, good luck

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

nomadologique posted:

i have quit and then unquit a bunch of times, right now i am quit, poo poo keeps bringing me back in tho, good luck

i find it easy to quit but difficult to stay quit. imo you need a strong outside motivation like children or watching to be healthy for a significant other

p hard to quit smoking as a single, fatalistic, depressed fat goon nerd

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

in the latter case best way to quit is suicide

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

nomadologique posted:

in the latter case best way to quit is suicide

purely hypothetical. fyi im actually one of the svelte sporty goons

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

we all have a fat greasy goon inside us bro, otherwise we wouldn't be here

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

nomadologique posted:

we all have a fat greasy goon inside us bro, otherwise we wouldn't be here

look im sorry but your behaviour is antagonistic. consider yourself referenced negatively in my cravings journal

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
If you quit smoking but can't stay quit, you never really quit.

Hint: you'll never quit unless you want to quit, and once you want to quit it's just a matter of beating the physical addiction.

I think its funny when people go back to smoking after they quit. When I made up my mind to quit it was like OK gently caress this I'm DONE. Being free of smoking and seeing all the poo poo I coughed up made it super loving easy to never want to again.

Otherwise you're no better then a dry alcoholic who talks about how much they want a drink.

Smoking is gross, convince yourself of that. There's literally no upside (at least cigars or pipes can taste good)

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stoic Commie posted:

This is true.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Smoking is gross, convince yourself of that. There's literally no upside (at least cigars or pipes can taste good)

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

It is gross, but cigs can taste good if you get good tobacco that's on par with a good cigar or pipe tobacco. I quit years ago, but I always enjoyed smoking a cig while thinking about a problem; nicotine is a slight stimulant so it's good for that. Cigarettes after sex can be pretty great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

(at least cigars or pipes can taste good)

If I had a montecristo right now I would suck that poo poo down like I was Shmorky with my face in Lowtax' lap.

• Locked thread