Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They liked the kid's game pitch but not enough to rifle through the couch for some of those spare Skylines benjamins. :10bux:

It's pretty funny that HoI4 got delayed for so long it slipped past Stellaris, but also pretty impressive Stellaris hasn't been delayed at all.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

jesus, what is the point of this game?
Click the thought bubble-question mark button in the bottom-right. If you have a Paradox account and are logged in it gives you some cosmetic forum and Stellaris stuff.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

So what's this kickstarter thing?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1834911866/magicka-mayhem-the-card-game-of-elements-spells-an?ref=nav_search

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's already past 50m. People with autoclickers will take care of it for everyone else.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 16, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

We've also heard they absolutely do have some distinct personality types and I'm guessing slightly unique reasons for being "fallen" that effect how they function.
Wiz actually listed them all at one point:

quote:

Currently, only Xenophile/Xenophobe Materialist/Spiritualist are valid FE traits. More may be added.

The FE personalties are:
Xenophile: Benevolent Observers
Xenophobe: Militant Isolationists
Spiritualist: Holy Guardians
Materialist: Keepers of Knowledge

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm pretty sure Paradox can remove mods from the workshop for their games, I think Groogy has mentioned doing it for some CK2 mods in the past.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 5, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Star posted:

I don't get why the Paradox hate seems to have multiplied lately, both in this thread as well in the separate game threads. Yes, the games are, as always, somewhat buggy and unbalanced on release yet quite fun and with lots of potential. We all know that that's how they're going to turn out, so why do people seem to be a lot more angry nowadays? I'm not saying that it's okay, just that it can't be news to anyone that this is how Paradox games are.
I think a mix of Stellaris's extremely effective marketing, the hype from it being the first new Paradox IP in a long time, and the fact we went longer than normal between Paradox game launches thanks to HoI4's huge delay made people forget how new Paradox games work.

Star posted:

I fully agree, and in the long-run it's bound to affect their brand, especially now that they are becoming a lot more mainstream. My hope was that with the success of City skylines, Stellaris and so on, they'd have the capital to let their games sit for a couple of months longer and fine-tune them and add more content. This far that doesn't seem to be the case, but we'll see.
Keep in mind the game was already delayed for months and months. In the old days it would have been released last year no matter how bad it was.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

double nine posted:

What I'm saying is that HOI4 seems to have gotten more external feedback and playtesting by journalists than stellaris. Why this is the case I don't know but to my mind at least it's a significant difference between both games' development cycle.
I think that was just because they'd started doing media stuff before deciding to delay the game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Paradox is running a survey that is very interested in RPGs, action RPGs, and what makes them replayable: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/take-our-rpg-survey.962385/

Vampire action RPG confirmed. :tinfoil:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Steamspy has changed their mind about honoring removal requests from developers/publishers, so all of Paradox's games are visible on there again.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

On an only slightly related note, does anyone else think Paradox went too far in the other direction with how Westernization works? It seems like by the 17th century everyone and their mother is Westernized, especially in West Africa. It's better than the reverse problem of non-European powers just being minor roadblocks, but it does lead to everything feeling very samey. It's like they just can't find a happy medium even after four games. It would be more interesting and historically accurate if you start out in 1444 as a European nation struggling and getting your rear end kicked more often than not, while by 1821 you're steamrolling everything outside of Europe except for the handful of non-European powers (and not literally all of them) that managed to Westernize in the intervening period.
It's seesawed back and forth repeatedly just in EU4's version history.

The upcoming patch is completely replacing the tech group and westernization systems with something that'll probably behave weirdly in new and exciting ways.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 6, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Either Wiz is running a really long con or Victoria's Secret is a real game that actually exists and will be released eventually. It has its own twitter now: https://twitter.com/GeopolDatingSim/with_replies

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Zombiepop posted:

And can someone ask some paradox person why the hell they dont use kickstarter? like at all? or am I wrong? I want Victoria 3 and I am willing to pay.
There's no reason to if you already have the money to finance future games?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
At first I got really excited then I remembered they like to do weeks of maddening teasers before the announcement.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think they only do teasers on their forums for PDS games.

Paradoxcon is mid-May, hope we don't have to wait that long.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 28, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Does anyone ever announce games at GDC? I thought it was more a professional thing than an advertising thing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, I think there's only one or two more DLCs planned.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
A new engine isn't going to make the games any faster. The performance bottleneck isn't the engine, it's the gameplay code because that's the part doing tons of pathfinding, AI calculations, and event condition checks every tick.

64-bit will only help if the extra usable memory lets them switch to more memory-hungry but cpu-efficient algorithms.

Splode posted:

I just wish paradox would improve/replace the Clausewitz engine. Most of their games run like poo poo, and the desyncing in multiplayer is horrendous. And that is true for literally(lol) all their games.
They're working on overhauling the multiplayer using Stellaris as a test bed right now. Once it's done I think they want to backport those changes to the other active clausewitz games.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 18, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

I would like Stellaris more if it used more than one CPU core.
All of Paradox's games already use multiple cores as much as possible. It's very very tricky to multithread things when you have to maintain perfect sync for multiplayer.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Out of curiosity, does any Paradox person have a ballpark estimate on how many man hours have been worked on CK2 and EU4 pre- and post-release?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
spoilers: When they make V3 everyone is going to go berserk because the economy and population models will be simplified into something they can actually maintain and expand on later.

If Wiz's horrified tweets about the V2 code were to be believed, it seems unlikely just build on V2 like they did EU3 to EU4.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 10, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Lucas Archer posted:

Let me guess : like playing EU4 without Art of War, or something similar?
V2 predates the DLC model where expansions are optional and everyone gets the same patches regardless of whether or not you own them. If you don't have an expansion you're playing the game exactly as it was before it existed, and every expansion requires all the previous ones.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Prav posted:

they're definitely gonna be greedy and exploitative as gently caress though. expect a lot of "well if you think it's a ripoff just don't buy it" posts in the future
No points since this already happens every time a new expansion is released

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What are even the stats on the amount of people who play multiplayer? I couldn't imagine it's a huge amount of the thousands of hours people have pumped into the game?
It's been years since they said this but according to their metrics it was something shockingly high, like 1 MP game for every 2 SP games.

EDIT: oh thanks google: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-playerstats.757556/

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It turns out after playing Wiz's dev version Johan got really, really into Victoria's Secret and took it from him to turn into a full game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Paradox typically doesn't announced in-studio stuff until its close to release, right?
Well, they used to announce them pretty far out, but Hearts of Iron 4 got delayed by over a year and everyone was really bummed out and Johan swore they wouldn't announce future games until they were at least far enough along they wouldn't need multi-month delays and redesigns.

Stellaris was subsequently released less than a year after being announced so they've stuck to that so far at least.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 19, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Rome looks really neat. So many tiny provinces.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think the TI on the map is definitely just unexplored or uncolonized, look at it carefully:

In Iberia you can see a faint province outline in the TI north of Malaca, and Caristh actually extends into another outlined province.

Also down in Africa the south-east corner of Massaesylia is clearly wrapping around an invisible province south of Massylia.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Rome makes me really excited for CK3. The map isn't really any smaller overall but look at how many provinces it can handle. Make every barony a province and inject that poo poo right into my eyeballs.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
For future reference: Paradox doesn't joke about an announcement not being game X if it actually is game X. That's why it was actually pretty easy to guess this was going to be Rome 2 since they conspicuously didn't joke about it being a Rome game, whereas when Stellaris was about to be announced they teased people about both Rome and Victoria a bunch.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Well, you literally can't play and test other parts of the game without functioning provinces, so it makes sense to "finish" a core part of the map and then expand out from there. It's the same as an FPS game doing a single-level vertical slice first thing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's worth noting that Johan claimed in an interview at PdxCon that they have no intention of pushing the end date back unless he can think of way to make playing an inevitably declining and decaying nation fun, and in his whole career that hasn't happened and he doesn't expect it to happen now.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Unless it's delayed it'll be early next year probably. Stellaris came out less than a year after its big reveal.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
An interesting thing from the replies to the dev diary: the map files for EU4 and Hoi4 are 5632x2048, CK2 is 3072x2048, and Imperator is 8192x4096.

Considering buildings are done on the city level I'm sure governors handle them. The game has about as many cities as CK2 does holdings.

It's probably too much to hope for that the AI builds well though, at least not on release. If for no other reason then because the optimal building strategy might not even be known by the developers before release and can change with any change to the costs and benefits of buildings.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 4, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Johan mentioned on the official forum that Imperator is their first 64 bit game, which makes sense considering the map is 4x the size of recent games and they've been riding 32 bit memory limits for years.

Though the only visible effect of that for end users is probably that mods will be able to add practically unlimited amounts of stuff without causing out of memory crashes.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 7, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The paradox forums are past denial and into anger/negotiating that this is an EU game, as Johan has been saying repeatedly for weeks, and not Victoria 3.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 25, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Another feature I can't wait to see in CK3.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's been years and I can't find the posts any more but I distinctly remember that when Johan listed the data EU4 phoned home it included your steam ID and a bunch of play data (mods installed, start year, SP/MP, etc).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Sio posted:

Province density is deliberately skewed not because the game is focused on Rome but because paradox's dlc model is based around slightly redrawing the provinces one region at a time forever.
I was wondering how long it would be before someone forgot map changes are always free and go for this hot take.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Drone posted:

So if CK2’s dev cycle (theoretically) ends a year from now with Expansion 15, where do they shift their focus? It still feels too early for CK3, and they’re almost certainly already working on V3 as one of their couple of unannounced projects.
It's really not too early for CK3 since it would be in development at least a couple of years before being announced. It wouldn't be too surprising if they already started work on parts of it.

Also I really really want CK3 with Imperator's province numbers as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
All I'd really want in the way of core changes is to break provinces up into baronies, integrate the council/favor stuff more with the rest of the politics, and spin the way of life focuses into a broader "what's my character doing while not ruling" system.

Doing playable landless characters really well would practically be a second game and I don't expect it to happen.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 8, 2018