Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Westminster System posted:

Shams Jorjani tweeted something about knowing people who have actually put together serious business plans that end up flawed because they are based on steam spy data.

:lol:

My business proposal is based off twenty minutes of skimming wikipedia and visiting the somethingawful games forum.

This is me in real life:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

My business proposal is based off twenty minutes of skimming wikipedia and visiting the somethingawful games forum.

Sounds familiar.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I don't get why the Paradox hate seems to have multiplied lately, both in this thread as well in the separate game threads. Yes, the games are, as always, somewhat buggy and unbalanced on release yet quite fun and with lots of potential. We all know that that's how they're going to turn out, so why do people seem to be a lot more angry nowadays? I'm not saying that it's okay, just that it can't be news to anyone that this is how Paradox games are.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Star posted:

I don't get why the Paradox hate seems to have multiplied lately, both in this thread as well in the separate game threads. Yes, the games are, as always, somewhat buggy and unbalanced on release yet quite fun and with lots of potential. We all know that that's how they're going to turn out, so why do people seem to be a lot more angry nowadays? I'm not saying that it's okay, just that it can't be news to anyone that this is how Paradox games are.

It's probably less hate and more cautious skepticism mixed with general shitposting one-upsmanship and mob mentality.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Star posted:

A lot of people appear to be pissed Stellaris turned out to be a pretty balloon filled with a lot of hot air and not much else. This might coincide with the fact that Stellaris seems to have brought in a lot of new players, as opposed to Paradox veterans who are used to this kind of thing. To be quite honest, I'm ever so slowly getting tired of hand-waving these shortcomings away. HOI4 better deliver.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
EU4 was also barebones. People just tend to forget the problems of the old while highlighting the problems of the new. Paradox is basically how it's always been.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Same, even though I've never even heard of steam spy before reading about it here
I just think it's real lovely of Paradox to not include espionage in Stellaris, and then remove it from Steam too.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

mackintosh posted:

A lot of people appear to be pissed Stellaris turned out to be a pretty balloon filled with a lot of hot air and not much else. This might coincide with the fact that Stellaris seems to have brought in a lot of new players, as opposed to Paradox veterans who are used to this kind of thing. To be quite honest, I'm ever so slowly getting tired of hand-waving these shortcomings away. HOI4 better deliver.

There are already plenty of indications that HoI4 will launch with severe AI and balance issues. How hard those are to fix remains to be seen.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

People who buy Paradox games at release are basically beta testers.
Some don't like that as they pay full price for an unfinished product.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

mackintosh posted:

I fully agree, and in the long-run it's bound to affect their brand, especially now that they are becoming a lot more mainstream. My hope was that with the success of City skylines, Stellaris and so on, they'd have the capital to let their games sit for a couple of months longer and fine-tune them and add more content. This far that doesn't seem to be the case, but we'll see.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

The level of betrayal I felt when Paradox removed their games from SteamSpy tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

I self-identify as Paradox games on SteamSpy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Star posted:

I think a mix of Stellaris's extremely effective marketing, the hype from it being the first new Paradox IP in a long time, and the fact we went longer than normal between Paradox game launches thanks to HoI4's huge delay made people forget how new Paradox games work.

Star posted:

I fully agree, and in the long-run it's bound to affect their brand, especially now that they are becoming a lot more mainstream. My hope was that with the success of City skylines, Stellaris and so on, they'd have the capital to let their games sit for a couple of months longer and fine-tune them and add more content. This far that doesn't seem to be the case, but we'll see.
Keep in mind the game was already delayed for months and months. In the old days it would have been released last year no matter how bad it was.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

CharlestheHammer posted:

EU4 was also barebones. People just tend to forget the problems of the old while highlighting the problems of the new. Paradox is basically how it's always been.

EU4 started out as a shiny coat of paint and the monarch point technology system on top of EU3: Divine Wind and grew into a perfectly competent game on its own right over its first few years of release. EU3 was also a pretty complete game at that point, so it was still a fine upgrade to an old game that had been pushed to its limitations; Divine Wind was a completely different game from launch EU3.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Sindai posted:

I think a mix of Stellaris's extremely effective marketing, the hype from it being the first new Paradox IP in a long time, and the fact we went longer than normal between Paradox game launches thanks to HoI4's huge delay made people forget how new Paradox games work.

The problem with Stellaris isn't bugs, it's brazen lack of content. CK2 and EU4 had a plethora of issues, but finding myself without anything to do wasn't one of them. My Stellaris experience thus far boils down to getting to a certain point and then restarting due to sheer boredom and predictability. There's only so much fun that can be had interacting with randomly generated aliens without any depth and complexity to these relationships. In all my Paradox experience, this is the first time it's happened and I'm a bit salty.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

FadingChord posted:

EU4 started out as a shiny coat of paint and the monarch point technology system on top of EU3: Divine Wind and grew into a perfectly competent game on its own right over its first few years of release. EU3 was also a pretty complete game at that point, so it was still a fine upgrade to an old game that had been pushed to its limitations; Divine Wind was a completely different game from launch EU3.

It's hilarious to me people going REMEMBER EU4 are the people who really need to remember EU4. The release complaint about EU4 was that it was essentially EU3.5, not that it lacked content or had major systems filled with bugs.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

mackintosh posted:

The problem with Stellaris isn't bugs, it's brazen lack of content. CK2 and EU4 had a plethora of issues, but finding myself without anything to do wasn't one of them. My Stellaris experience thus far boils down to getting to a certain point and then restarting due to sheer boredom and predictability. There's only so much fun that can be had interacting with randomly generated aliens without any depth and complexity to these relationships. In all my Paradox experience, this is the first time it's happened and I'm a bit salty.

I think this is really fair honestly. The game just doesn't do anything all that interesting that improves on the standard 4X formula, and it's not really EU style grand strategy either. Somehow despite brazenly stealing features from Distant Worlds it has a lot less content than that game does.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Viral Warfare posted:

I think this is really fair honestly. The game just doesn't do anything all that interesting that improves on the standard 4X formula, and it's not really EU style grand strategy either. Somehow despite brazenly stealing features from Distant Worlds it has a lot less content than that game does.

To be fair, Distant Worlds, while a fantastic game, also had to be designed so that nearly all of its systems could be run on autopilot because of how stupidly complex the game is.

I am looking forward to Stellaris becoming more Distant Worlds-like with expansions though, particularly with civilian stuff. However you also can't claim that DW has a robust diplomacy system either, so that's something both games lack.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Viral Warfare posted:

I really think they hit on something good with the Fallen Empires and randomly generated species, they're a lot more engaging than standard space 4X fare to me.

On the other hand yeah the content is pretty light. I was expecting it to be a pretty light game on launch and still got disappointed.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

People should also remember how incredibly content-light CK2 was at launch. Aside from a scant handful of events, it was pretty much just a game of white Christian people holding summer fairs, hunting in October, and feasts. Rinse/repeat, marry people, occasionally murder someone.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Koramei posted:

I really think they hit on something good with the Fallen Empires and randomly generated species, they're a lot more engaging than standard space 4X fare to me.

On the other hand yeah the content is pretty light. I was expecting it to be a pretty light game on launch and still got disappointed.

I agree with the Fallen Empires, but randomly generated species aren't all that interesting. Every 'Fanatical Purifier' acts exactly the same, so they're not really that different other than minor cosmetic differences- I'd rather have fully fleshed out races as in other 4X fare when that's the case.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So I wanted to check out CK2 mods on steam and I saw this

A perfectly normal person posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZbrupqKepc

Torture Mod v1.01

TLDR; Be more evil and torturious!

This Mod adds the ability to castrate, blind, cut off hand, iron maiden etc to all your prisoners without fear of releasing them. BEWARE you will gain the cruel trait for using such actions!

This is a simple mod and adds a small evil torturious dynamic to the game.

Check out my other Gods Mod Here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=459493616

DIRECT DOWNLOAD HERE IF WORKSHOP ISN'T WORKING:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2fc43h0YYbOLVU1TTlwZzJ1aFk/view?usp=sharing

Main Features

- Adds Castrate
Castrate without releasing

- Adds Blind
Blind without releasing

- Adds Cut off Hand
Cuts off the hand of your prisoner

- Adds Iron Maiden
Put your prisoner in an Iron Maiden

- Adds Drawn and Quartered
Execute your prisoner with the classic style of Drawn and Cornering.

- Adds "Forcing Yourself Upon"
Force yourself upon female characters in your court, although beware this gives you cruel and "♥♥♥♥♥♥" trait which will make the general populace, your vassals and characters who have been defiled hate you!

Future Updates v1.1

Add more torture options based on suggestions

Add a Good version mod that allows you to be kinder and do nice things for your court and vassals.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
stellaris is ok but it's so much worse than distant worlds :(

On the other hand most of paradox's other games are completely unique so I think that's why stellaris is a disappointment to me

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

stellaris is ok but it's so much worse than distant worlds :(

On the other hand most of paradox's other games are completely unique so I think that's why stellaris is a disappointment to me

But I like pretty graphics also not to knock Slytherine, but do they ever lower their prices?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

What is the best manner to go about resting the armies, cultivating the wastelands, and nourishing the people?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Crowsbeak posted:

But I like pretty graphics also not to knock Slytherine, but do they ever lower their prices?

DW goes on sale for 30 every so often

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Drone posted:

People should also remember how incredibly content-light CK2 was at launch. Aside from a scant handful of events, it was pretty much just a game of white Christian people holding summer fairs, hunting in October, and feasts. Rinse/repeat, marry people, occasionally murder someone.
ck2 at launch still had character interaction options beyond "declare war," the problem with stellaris is that the entire thing that was supposed to set it apart from similar games (the internal political strife) is not really present outside extreme circumstances

e: i guess that sounds really harsh. it's definitely fun to blob around the galaxy but a lot of stuff is really obviously absent

Samog fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 5, 2016

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
The idea that you're not supposed to say a game has issues because another game had the same issues is pretty bizarre.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

It's hilarious to me people going REMEMBER EU4 are the people who really need to remember EU4. The release complaint about EU4 was that it was essentially EU3.5, not that it lacked content or had major systems filled with bugs.

For what it's worth, though, if you're complaining that EU4 didn't go far beyond the baseline of EU3, isn't that effectively complaining about a lack of (new) content?

It IS interesting to look at Stellaris's development as a completely new IP, though - I think I forgot or didn't realize how much of Paradox's development relies on iterating upon and refining systems already set in place. Sure, sometimes they took out or heavily modified existing systems, but most of the time this was within the context of the existing, proven design. It looks like creating an entirely new design from scratch is a skillset that Paradox still needs to develop as a company.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Tomn posted:

For what it's worth, though, if you're complaining that EU4 didn't go far beyond the baseline of EU3, isn't that effectively complaining about a lack of (new) content?

In a very pedantic sense, maybe, but the final effect is very different. Someone playing EU4, especially a new player, would have a solid experience; someone playing Stellaris...

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I've played Stellaris for over 200 hours and was still able to find new little things now and again when I was playing to burnout point.

But I guess that's not enough content.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

PleasingFungus posted:

In a very pedantic sense, maybe, but the final effect is very different. Someone playing EU4, especially a new player, would have a solid experience; someone playing Stellaris...

Will still have a good time.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

ArchangeI posted:

There are already plenty of indications that HoI4 will launch with severe AI and balance issues. How hard those are to fix remains to be seen.

Cite your sources before spewing stupid bullshit about the AI. Here are a few that you're working against.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776674&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post460635282

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ai-incapable-of-defense-seems-to-be-a-very-very-big-issue.940433/page-9#post-21327352

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

PleasingFungus posted:

Same thing in terms of complaining about Paradox, though. If people were complaining that Paradox is bad and lazy because EU4 was just EU3 with a facelift, Stellaris 1 is essentially Stellaris 0 with a facelift so it's less a new and unprecedented level of bad laziness and more "they didn't have a base they could fall back on this time."

Not that I personally think Paradox is bad and lazy, mind you, just noting that the complaints about fundamentally about the same problem in a different context. I agree that consumer-side it does work out pretty differently, but given how space 4Xes tend to do I'm inclined to think that maybe the genre just fundamentally needs more time and money nowadays than most other genres not to come out looking half-baked.

A lot of people mention Distant Worlds, but point of curiosity (not a rhetorical point) - did anybody here play Distant Worlds without the expansions? What was that like?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

I had a lot of fun playing Stellaris.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am glad Stellaris is nothing like Distant Worlds because it makes it a game that I would like to play instead of a game I would like to not play but maybe watch.

Star posted:

The latest EU4 and CK2 expansions are kind of eh, next to releasing a game that is maybe a decent 4X bonsai tree but is utterly gutless if you don't care about maximizing your planet tiles or teasing out super fleets out of the jank rear end ship designer. Its a perfect storm of DLC fatigue if you put on your tinfoil hat to say Stellaris was released to be a DLC platform first and game second, and the latest mainline game DLCs are bad because there's no room for new features to totally integrate into the existing game.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SBSSN9Y9qY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPPaY2Zba58

if you can watch these and not be concerned about what the gently caress is happening idk what to say

im a big fan of the game being more sandboxy than realism but this stuff is just dumb

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've hated every second of the 65 hours I have in Stellaris so far, personally. Every last one of those 234,000 seconds.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Internet is telling you that you aren't allowed to like it. Better comply!

Though I have to say comparisons to previous releases are silly. Especially EU4 because the biggest voices were screaming about all the content we cut away.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Groogy posted:

Though I have to say comparisons to previous releases are silly. Especially EU4 because the biggest voices were screaming about all the content we cut away.

i thought the complaints were all about Bird Mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
No I remember people arguing over the fact that nomad diplomacy was gone. Or like dynamic trade centers, etc.