Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Speaking about EU4, I dont know if people oputside Brazil can buy there, but nuuven is having a EU4 sale with pretty good prices

http://www.nuuvem.com/promo/especial-europa-universalis?utm_source=mailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Ori-and-the-Blind-Forest-14-06

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The funny thing is that, even though you are usually saving the world,in most games every NPC still treats you like you were just some joe minding his own business "yeah I have this magical sword you need to kill the demon that's about to devour the universe. its 1000000 gold. oh, you dont have that much? well, tough luck"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If you watched and liked the Vikings series, playing Ragnar in CK2 is almost mandatory

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Got me thinking: is there any other game where you can play Ragnar Lotbrok?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
There wanst any Karlings in my current game (790 start), I dont know why.

I even searched for them in the character finder, and found only a bunch of "somename-Karling", but not proper Karling

Maybe they got wiped in the beginning somehow

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cease to Hope posted:

the Karlings are the descendants of Charlemagne. In 769, Charles isn't even Charlemagne yet.

I know. But when I missed the Karlings and decided to search for one, it was already > 900. And Im currently in 1150 and still theres none

And I had never seem that, maybe something happened with old Charles, Im not playing in Europe so I didint noticed. In this game the HRE never formed either, and instead theres a huge empire of Francia run by a Niebelung or somthing like that

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

SlothfulCobra posted:

Technically, the descendants of Charles the Hammer. I don't know if the character search system actually goes by last name. You might wanna check the history of the King of France title. It sounds like something went really wrong.

So I did that and thats what I found:

The Karlings got extinct at the very beginning of the game.

I dont remember how it was supposed to happen, but it seems like Pepin had a matrilineal marriage, and Charles was murdered before having children, and so the Karlings died

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 20, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Party In My Diapee posted:

In the ledger there is a list of bloodlines, including dead ones. Would have been easier to check there.

Oh, I didint though of that. This is my first game since bloodlines were introduced

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Torrannor posted:

The CK2 thread is this way: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874093

We have a big OP that should answer most new or returning player questions, and are always happy to help out with any problems you might need solutions for :)

I know, I know. People were talking about the Karlings and I just commented that in my current game I saw none, which is very rare, in my experience

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The "expel the jews" might have a point, but is also something with heavy consequences and it really doesnt not seems to me to have any racist undertones

Everything else are stuff you can do on almost any grand strategy game

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I never knew HOI4 whitewashed nazi history that way, that indeed seems problematic

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wait til you find out the game's take on stalin's purges

Im interested

edit: disclaimer: I never played any HoI games

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the full and total purges were the only thing keeping the USSR from falling into a civil war in hoi4. the game punishes you for not going full stalin

yeah, thats bad

CharlestheHammer posted:

Now I’m imagining everytime you declare war a little pop up comes up that says but did you know war is bad? Before it goes through

Nah, is just really weird that a game that lets you play as nazi Germany in WW 2 ignores all the absurdly evil stuff they did in this war

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 15, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dwesa posted:

That reminds me that I am considering buying I:R, but I know nothing about it.

:same:

No thread for it yet?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Aside from CK, Paradox games are wargames first and foremost. Conquest has always been the main point. If you want to do something else, cool, that's respectable, but that's also not what these games are. I'm falling asleep just thinking about these heavily abstracted combat systems.

Even CK2. Take out army management and players would be bored to death while waiting for marriages and plots

I find the idea of taking army management very interesting, but as someone said above, thats still a good part of the gameplay on all (or most, never played vicky) paradox games. Something would have to take its place, and something fun

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I also dont think the combat is that bad. I much prefer the paradox way than almost all other grand strategy games. I mean, compare it to Civ, for example (post 5, specially)

Fister Roboto posted:

Even something as simple as being able to tell an army to pursue another army, or take control of an area, or defend an area, would be a massive improvement. I think a lot of the frustration comes from the fact that there's really only one way of interacting with combat, and that's telling your army mans to move to a province. And if you don't tell them to, they do literally nothing.

Yeah, this.

edit: also: I think all grand strategy games have this same problem: war always end up being the bulk of the gameplay, so it has to be interactive, and fun. If you would abstract war, make it less interactive, than you have to make sure there a lot to do in the game besides war, and those things have to be interactive and fun

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 1, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pharnakes posted:

Yeah I know, but neither did the king choose which town the battle would take place over, usually, unless he was leading himself. I just said front because the HOI 4 is the closest to this system we have so far. Actually it would probably work more like the aerial battles bucket system in practice, but with the ability to define the coverage of the bucket instead of it being fixed.

I was more thinking from the King's perspective he tells his dude to go and conquer lower Silesia, here's 25k men, off you go. So you as the player would paint over half a dozen provinces or whatever, and the game would calculate where the battle would actually occur based on how many men, how many men opposing you, ect. How far away from your own province you can paint would depend on your logistics tech, buildings present ect.

Your opponent would see a warning as soon as you commit troops, (with estimated troop numbers improving over time maybe?) and could then paint his own provinces and appoint an army to defend,

I don't know, I]m not trying to say this is a fully thought out idea but this whole conversation is about design philosophy not detailed system design.

I like that

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
In any case I'll wait a year or two and some DLCs and a sale to get it, as I usually do

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sampatrick posted:

I'm a big fan of Paradox; however, it's pretty funny for people to say that it's a good thing that Paradox releases features that are buggy and later on fixes them/expands them with DLC. This isn't a positive for Paradox, it's the bare minimum.

Well, is better than most, unfortunately that's the reality

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It's true but at the same time I kinda got used to the fact that most complex strategy games are going to be bugged and grossly unbalanced at launch. It happens to other kinds of games as well, but it is specially true in this genre. And that's why I usually will wait for a at least a year before trying these games

But with paradox, I know they will take serious effort to fix and improve their games after launch, and for a very long time. Even completely overhauling parts of the games, like they did with stellaris, and mostly for free (you don't have to buy any DLCs to have the new tileless planet system, for ex)

And yeah, that's a lot more than we can say about most major game publishers. See firaxis with civ 6

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CharlestheHammer posted:

I haven’t seen it but apparently civil wars are fairly common in imperator. Which I like because for the most part civil wars aren’t usually a big deal in paradox games.

Like only CK has anything resembling a threat on that front

I hope it's more like CK2 vassal civil wars (politically manageable, dangerous when you let it happen), and less like regular rebellions in the other games an even CK2 itself (based on a % revolt risk, easy to crush, only annoying)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I could never understand how it is that watching videos of people playing video games became a thing

Probably a generation thing, I was already too old when that started

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The most I can endure are those short videos of people finishing super mario in 2 minutes, stuff like that

But I have little patience for video in general, except for movies and TV fiction

edit: yeah, probably is the same as watching sports really, which is also something I never had interest

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Baronjutter posted:

Paradox is ideologically opposed to sliders. They'd sooner give you a cramped edict menu with 20 options you have to scroll through than a single logical slider.

Paradox games are still packed with sliders, but it used to be "everything is a slider" which was really not very good and Im glad they moved away from it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I had to search for this Aurora

Seems like a game for real autists

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
From what I read about Imperator here and elsewhere, it sounds like a game I will enjoy. A bit of EU4, a bit of CK2, but with population/economy not abstracted, the map is more gorgeous. And I love that age for strategy games

But Im too scalded to buy games so close to release. Ill get in a year, minimum, after some patches and the first DLCs

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Sunset Invasion is hilarious and also fun as it gives you some challenge to look forward at the time in the game you are almost certainly a huge unbeatable blob

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RabidWeasel posted:

Nah let me have a cheap and flawed game now and then a much better game later thanks.

I rather have a cheap AND good game, is just a matter of waiting a lot and getting it on a sale.

"wait for some patches and DLCs/expansions then get it on a sale" has been my buying philosophy for years, not only for paradox games, but for any game. You just need to have some patience

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

cool av posted:

Mana systems are OK but they could be done better. Just abstract all types into a single pool and remove the "luck factor" by having it regenerate at a fixed rate, in realtime. Each action you take as a player should cost an amount of mana relative to its importance. So I might have 60/60 mana and I want to declare a war on a large neighbor. That costs 50 mana. If I return to the game 5 hours later, that mana will have regenerated and I can take another action. If I want to play faster, I can choose to spend a currency item to refill my bar. Currency items should be gained via special ingame events, or via a small microtransacton. This would make the game far more enjoyable, and perhaps also get Pdox some much needed extra money.

EuropaVille

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cantorsdust posted:

This is extremely my poo poo

:same:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm not a particularly big fan of EU4's development system, but only because it doesn't passively grow/change at all. Apparently nobody will ever bother to expand the local plantations for centuries unless the king personally comes and released 80 doves and all that. If it just had some way to grow, change, and maybe move around in response to devastation/prosperity etc. without the player having to come personally do it, it would be great. Obviously you can also still let the player manually develop areas, but it shouldn't be the only way anything ever gets developed.

I agree. Development should raise and fall by itself too. Also raising the development should cost resourses (gold) as well, not only the kings attention

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Beefeater1980 posted:

Has anyone else played Stellar Monarch? It’s not Paradox, it’s some rando Eastern European indy developer dude, but it’s surprisingly fun and I was playing the hell out of it earlier. The basic concept is you’re the Imperium of Man with the serial numbers filed off and no chaos warp stuff, and you only take emperor-level decisions - who runs my ministries, do I go for loyalty or competence, how many fleets do I want and where do I want them? It’s not that deep but it has an interesting take on grand strategy.

It’s faintly reminiscent of a very old game called Imperium.

Oh great, another space 4X Ill buy and play for an hour and never again

But it does looks very interesting and unique

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gobblecoque posted:

Personally I think the new estate system looks great and I always kinda disliked everything about the old one.

Yeah, the old system sucked. I dont know much about the new, but chances are its gonna be an improvement, the bar is really low

edit: also in my last few games I never assigned provinces to estates, I never felt the need of doing it, I even forgot that was a thing. Estates for me are a menu I click once in a while to get some bonus, and thats it

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 5, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I tried SMAC a few years ago and could not endure more than a couple of hours of it. The concept and writing are indeed cool but the gameplay is some awful dated poo poo, is just Civ 2 all over again

Also I played Civ 5 a lot before trying Civ 4 and could never get into it. Yeah, Civ 5 AI is dumb and diplomacy is bad, but 5 is way superior on everything else

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gort posted:

Eh, the Civ 4 AI and general balance are miles ahead of Civ 5.

I dont care about balance that much, I only play SP. And yes, Civ 4 Ai seems better, but in everything else, Civ 5 is superior, thats what I meant

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think the combat in Civ 5/6 is actually pretty solid and fun, despite its problems. I hated 1UPT when I first played, but it grew on me over the years, its really a lot more fun an interesting than doom stacks

It could be improved a lot with some minor things. Like transport units, land & naval, would help a lot in making moving large quantities of units across the map less tedious. Warhammer 40K Gladius does that and it works pretty well

The big problem in both games is that the AI just cant handle it, but is not a bad system per se. City ranged attack is not a bad idea either, cities have to be hard to conquer. Here again the problem is that it became way too hard for the AI

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

AnoHito posted:

I think the archer takes damage if you hit the city? And you can deal with bombers by using fighters/SAMs

I think the cities are generally more killable than you're all implying. You should just expect to lose a unit or two in the process, which is almost always worth it to take a decent city.

Yeah, is not that hard. It just takes a smart use of ranged, siege and melee units. The thing is that the AI is totally incapable of pulling that off, except, sometimes, when attacking a clueless human player or another dumb AI player

But then again, thats a problem with the AI, not with the combat system

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is that the big announcement? Kinda boring

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ilitarist posted:

And Surviving Mars will be free to get in a couple of days on Epic Game Store.

Sweet. I had it on my wishlist for a while, waiting for a good sale

It seems like the kind of stuff I enjoy, but reviews are so mixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Fintilgin posted:

The Kotaku article has picks of both games.

Even down to *SUPER BOOST*

:lol:

Paradox, fire whoever greenlit this garbage as remotely acceptable.

Totally not a reskin