Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I kinda wonder if Switzerland will be a viable nation with all those new mechanics, could be fun to turn entire Europe neutral by force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

It looks so pretty, is there any word yet on an open or closed beta? I might need a change from this

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Groogy posted:

We don't do betas as PR stunts and our betas are probably much closer to the actual development than what you are used to if you've been in a beta for any other company before. But if you want to get early access for Stellaris there's a really simple solution.

Get hired by Paradox.

Reminds me, I have to play it more.

Sure I can admin the 900 printers you don't have, that's what I do here at Uni anyway. No more programming since management decided a Windows print server will work just as well as our own Java print server did. Uni environments with management from the private sector are hilariously bad.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
What was the official release date anyhow, Q1 2016 for both HoI IV and Stellaris and Victoria III ?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

It's very good.

Not on steam, to much effort to acquire.

So goal for HoI4, take Switzerland, pretend Lenin didn't leave the country and turned it communist, then conquer everyone around you with the help of the soviets.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

The Sharmat posted:

It was Civ 2 in space with some new mechanics sprinkled in.

And compared to Civ 2 with expansions it was about as bad as the new Space Civ5. I am not sure why people bring it up so much as one of the better strategy games.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Civ 3 was the biggest leap-forward as far as converting unit support to an empire-wide calculation, fleshing out the concept of national borders (that SMAC kinda toyed with), introducing culture, strategic resources, and even the domination victory.

Civ 4 polished those ideas like a mofo, but I still go back to 3 over 4.

But Civ3 removed the ability to secure your island's borders/coasts with units. No more super turtle strategy.
I think I actually like the current Civ5 over Civ4, at least I am happy enough with Civ5 that I don't need Civ4 anymore.

In the end none of those games is as fun as M.A.X

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I guess you only have Three Mountains left for that. Or maybe some WC games.

Edit: I am pretty sure Three Mountains is impossible with the current patch.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

I wonder if signing up with my iMac instead of the Windows PC would give me higher chances, there is gonna be a OS X version right, I need my lunchtime strategy at work !

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I usually went for the army relevant supply factories early on, to not limit my conquest by world market.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The problem with EU4 for new players is the DLC, AoW and CS seem like mandatory to play the game now. I own all the DLC and I can't imagine playing without some of the paid features.
I think the only expansion I ever disabled was Conquest of Paradise to see if I can get rid of Colonial Nations while playing North American natives.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The problem is they got their history wrong because they listen to the wrong poster and read the wrong wikipedia.
Lets take HoI4 as an example, where are the godlike Swiss soldiers who held the Reduit and could have beaten Nazi Germany if they wanted to?

While a Communist Republic of Switzerland WC is impossible HoI4 will remain ahistorical.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

podcat posted:

yeah, the swiss are still OP on the defensive.

If your game is realistic Helbards will be the key to victory. I think I'll actually have to try a Switzerland game just to see what silly things you can do. I am sure that's gonna be important for the Beta!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
They also all lie about this and throw unrealistic numbers around not to mention ignore what it would mean for the households. Their numbers always boil down to calories per day, ignoring what kind of food it is. From what I've seen here in Switzerland seasons are also abstracted which further falsifies the data.
Most of Europe uses the rest of the world for food production and couldn't sustain their populations if there was a loss of supply. They would need way too much time to setup proper inland production again.

Planting potatoes on every patch of green in a city is nice propaganda but it doesn't really help with production numbers.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Really? Here in Germany, most of the grapes you buy at the supermarket come either from Egypt or Spain, so they definitely export at least some types of food.

See that's why those "we can feed ourself up to X%" statistics fail. It might work out on a calories per day but it is unlikely people would know how to do it. Realisticly if you cut a countries supply and they rely on their own production for food the country will crash and burn down.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am sure one of these people will make a realistic and correct supply mod, with an easy solution for naval supplies.
Personally I am looking forward to planing the weekly menu for each Division based on their supply of rice, wine, beer, sugar, salt, spices, 28 types of fresh fruit, 32 types of vegetables and your cooking technology. This opens up a lot of new strategic questions, do I invade Brazil to keep my Banana supply steady or do I instead go for South Africa to have apples and pears year around?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

They're rolling the average lifetime supply use of a unit into its build cost. So tanks cost things like chromium, steel, tungsten and a fuckton of oil to make, but don't use up oil once they're operational. It's an abstraction which simplifies the supply system of the game, but does seem a little strange if you consider a single unit, and means that Japan can still sail its fleet around all day even once it has no oil supply - it just can't build any NEW ships.

Pretty sure the ships will require the generic supply resource which likely needs oil to produce in the first place?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Hey I am not against it, I actually like it since it should make the game more accessible for me. It's me I am the one who wants the game dumbed down!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Looks like having an iMac to play games on doesn't make me special enough

Shame the Paradox forums give me cancer, or I'd try that.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I would expect it to be similar to EU4 in the beginning you pay attention to which province has which building, later on you might focus on important provinces CoTs/high profit resources. From what I read they didn't even say if there was an automated mode or not.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Having a chance for a breakthrough via cosmic anomalies or the like sounds like it could be interesting tough.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

kinda weird how the current Ottoman claimant was U.S. soldier.

He probably hoped he'd be installed as dictator and could reclaim his rights!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Way to make me feel bad, and some of them were even done using blatant exploits :(

What I'd really like to have in EU4 are more achievement chains, Start as Nation in Culture group X, form Z, control region Y etc, so you can slowly build up as your game progresses. And of course some silly achievements like becoming HRE as Orthodox/Catholic Ottomans and other really absurd things.

Yes I need achievements, it's why I bought Gemcraft (2$ sale for 420 achievements, 0.05$ per achievement!).

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
There's a lot of people who seem to dislike one aspect of this game that isn't released based one one dev diary or an other. I doubt everyone will ever be happy with every feature.

Overall the game looks very promising and will hopefully be a success.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It will be interesting to see how much of an advantage, if any, you get from designing ships on your own. If the AI is too good at it, why do it yourself? If the AI is too bad, you have to do it manually. Now I wonder what the colours between black and white will be.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Does CK2 still have suicidal Dukes who think they'll rebel with their 800 soldiers while you have an army of 12'000 parked on their province? Or do they actually look for allies first and are less annoying than EU3 rebels ever were.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So how much do we have to invest to get Vicky3 and/or Rome2 ?

Honestly, I am with the pessimistic crowd, I don't really see what they'll gain and how they want to avoid the risks of being controlled by assholes that want short term profit. Share Holder Value is a term you rarely get to use in a positive context.
Can someone elaborate on how they can avoid pressure from their share holders? Or explain in non-google-translate English why they need this cash infusion?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You all missed the point where cold war mechanics actually apply to the ESC.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

Just to be super clear, if you want to start in the Solar system you can customise the Sol humans. If you want to start in a random system, you make a custom race and pick the human body type.

Also the HoI release date is wrong, I presume whoever made the website just put a placeholder date there.

Why destroy our dreams, all we want is to be Hitler or Space-Hitler as soon as possible.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I must admit I've never really gotten into HoI3 so I am a bit confused about all this Holocaust talk, is the Holocaust just ignored in game? If not does it affect anything/can you as player opt out of it or something?

Or are there just the usual morons from the Paradox forum who want to press a button to start the holocaust because they unironically think it's cool?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Since some of you here actually have a clue about history, is Christopher Clark rated as a good author/source for history books? Looking at Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947 because it seems to be one of the best rated books about Prussia.

History books are hard, you need a different author for every topic or you'll suddenly be reading about God Emperor Chiang Kai-Shek and his achievements during his prosperous rule.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The USA didn't join WWI, George Marshal is a foreign logistic advisor in Prussia, the spring offensive works thanks to his talents, all 4 major powers end the war with civil wars at home. Welcome to shattered Europe.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Exactly what problem does gating Fabricate Claim behind a tech level solve? And how does it not screw over the lowliest tech groups?

While I do absolutely love Paradox's constant development cycle, it's almost reaching a point with CK2 and specifically EU4 that they're just changing poo poo for the sake of changing it.

I am not 100% convinced it's not just a troll.

The only way it could possibly be fun was if it came with a major rework of Rivals/Missions/Events. Otherwise you might just as well use the 1605 start date, so you can actually loving play the game.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I really hope there'll be some DLC that allows me to do absurd things like playing as Spain, then teaming up with Germany and Italy to split France.
Having a Spain that denies the allies access to the med could be really interesting.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Darkrenown probably being the most active, since you can find him playing other games with goons.

Is it a good idea to learn Stellaris in a coop MP game?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

We have a four-day weekend here in Germany this weekend because of a holiday on Thursday and everyone taking Friday off. Why couldn't Stellaris have been released a few days earlier :negative:

At least Pfingsten is the week after release. This is a pretty confusing month anyway, new D3 season, Stellaris, Overwatch all in May.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Exporting foreign rulers is what we were good at, Castle Incest:

Sadly it was Aargauer we exported, that explains the inbreeding.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Not sure where all the Stellaris hate is coming from, admittedly I've only put 12 hours into it but I am really enjoying it, more so than the current EU4 patch with 4 lovely useless systems that were tacked on top of it.
My biggest problem is that I have no clue on the other nations and if I can win a war against them/if my happiness can handle it. Combat and the lack of info for it should be addressed.

Stellaris will improve over time, just like EU4 did, then it will peak and hopefully an other title is out to replace it.

vvvv It already is a good game and worth the money.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 17, 2016

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I have a Stellaris complaint, it has limited support for screen resolutions so on the Mac client. I like to have it open in Windowed mode on my second screen (24" WS) so 1600x1200 is 50 pixels to high and the next lower resolution is tiny.
Not sure if editing the settings file manually will affect performance/stability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am a computer expert and I can tell you 64 is a higher number than 32. It must increase performance.

Also Stellaris works with custom resolution, thanks Groggy! My boss is less happy since this is my iMac at work.