Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Countrysims > let's plays :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mans posted:

-why are regiments strictly locked to a province?

They are tied to pops (which do reside in a province) so that they can become aligned with a rebel movement and join uprisings and revolutions depending on the pop's militancy etc

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, that’s probably near the top of mechanic interactions in any Paradox games. That said, I feel like you could do it on a state by state basis instead without losing anything - while letting the system work better in lower population regions.

Some mods change soldiers to be state instead of province (still tied to pops though) by using the script effect that bureaucrats get, so when a pop promotes to soldier they are moved to the state capital and join the big blob of soldiers there. That helps get rid of tiny useless soldier pops too small to support a regiment

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Reveilled posted:

Looking forward to the day when focus trees look like Path of Exile's passive tree:

That's kind of what I was going for with Mexico

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's not just Attila you're outrunning, it's climate change. Over the course of the game the global temperature cools which makes the fertility of every province in the game drop - and the northern provinces already have fairly low fertility while the Roman territory has all the best stuff, so even if you're way in the west you're encouraged to pack it up and push into their land to be able to feed your people.

Realistically you don't need to pay attention to fertility beyond changing which buildings you make (low fertility = choose the farms with higher base food and income) which is a shame. They should have gone all in on the concept and not added those sheep farms.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

A miracle will never occur if you don't believe

Satan has his miracles

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

genericnick posted:

Have you ever thought about how NDAs aren't real? tellustellustellus

NDAs are real... real painful!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

alcaras posted:

Do we have a thread for Victoria 3 yet?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3968353

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Red Bones posted:

Given that Vicky 3 has apparently been in development since 2018, I would assume that a GSG in a fictional/fantasy setting is something they're currently working on but aren't announcing yet, especially as there's been job listings for artists at Paradox for a non-historical game project.

Earliest Steam build is from 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/ni08cm/they_kept_it_hidden_from_us_for_a_long_time/

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

Not that I'm here to stan Cromwell but if the English don't like someone I'm automatically well-disposed towards them because if you're pissing off the English you must have done something right. Don't @ me about Hitler.

Hitler mostly killed wh*te "people" so he's not so bad in my books

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
My favourite GCSE history module was the Wild West, it went over class conflict between large scale ranchers and small farmers

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

East vs. West vs. Sid Meier's Pirates

Chairman Khrushchev
EVIL!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Spiderfist Island posted:

I’m interested in seeing whether the Anbennar community tries to port the mod’s setting (or an 1836 equivalent) to Victoria 3. It surely can’t be that difficult to add fantasy species to a pop’s definition using modern Paradox modding support.

Culture?

I remember a mod I made for V2 had Cthulhu monsters as general/admiral portraits by overwriting the Native American slots (since I don't think they were ever used by vanilla countries at the game start, only releasables)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

Technically that already happened, with the prison architect guys. Red cross contacted them and asked to change red crosses in their game because it's against Geneva convention

I think HoI4 had the same issue (support equipment had a red cross on the medical gear at one point)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lmao just realized I have eaten another paradox forums probe for the crime of... posting a link to the "Treatment of Jews and other civilians in North Africa" section of Erwin Rommel's wikipedia page in response to someone saying he and North Africa were cool because it wasn't as distasteful as playing the nazis in other theatres.

Rommel did genocide and loved nazis, sorry paradox forums wehraboos.

Link?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

I'm sorry, but the design is based on Podcat and I's HoI3-expansion-era ideas about a WWI game where you only control the amount of horses supplied to areas of each front.

Hearts of Iron Neigh

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Groogy posted:

Bit late but since there's been a bunch about this and I was briefly mentioned. I just want to say none of you scared me away even if some here can get a bit brazen with their... critique. Besides being very busy at work I am also chairman of the local union chapter at pdx, plus my housing coop so I've just had way too much to do to dip in. But I do check in from time to time to see what people generally think about our games.

e: Heck I have one of my stupid quips as my av, I had totally forgotten.

:tipshat:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Welcome to Heresy Island!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I'm working on getting my mind uploaded so I can paint maps until the death of the Sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulCdoCfw-bY

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Eimi posted:

Like regardless of how 'plausible' it was, having a big crisis that shook up the western part of the map really helps for gameplay variety.

Yeah it's like a standard feature of Total War games too

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking about they get stomped on the landing pad because they have a bunch of black powder muskets basically, and the humans have tanks and assault rifles.

Here's a PDF of it

https://www.reddit.com/r/scifi/comments/2vip1r/the_road_not_taken_a_short_story_by_harry/

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ItohRespectArmy posted:

march of the eagles 2 will be the next paradox game

April of the Eagles

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

The Narrator posted:

My Steward GET.STEWARD.NAME has stormed into the throne room with a manic grin on his face. He claims to have invented a new system for our currency, inspired by "wise men from the East." Instead of something real like silver or gold pieces, he has suggested our money instead be parchment with a number on it!

* I should have known better than trust this lunatic with the treasury! [GET.STEWARD.NAME is fired as Steward. RULER gains trait Temperate. REALM gains Fiscally Prudent (+1% tax income) for 10 years]

* So long as my face can be on the parchment too! [RULER gains trait Proud. GET.STEWARD.NAME will have permission to implement his idea...]

* Parchment will go To The Heavens! [-1000 gold from treasury to purchase parchment. RULER gains trait Greedy. REALM will go long on parchment, which might pay off...]

You can only get this event once and every time someone else goes long everyone else who went long gets a share of the money they put in

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Anno posted:

“bring storytelling home”

Taking advantage of the recent Wizards of the Coast OGL shakeup to announce a high fantasy pen and paper roleplaying setting with integrated virtual tabletop support?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I remember doing a recorded user research test on the Cities Skylines 2 tutorial, I was really bad at it lol. One of the user research people had to come in and tell me how to do curvy roads. Thus proving that grand strategy game players aren't smarter than other gamers, we're just slower.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Babylon 5 > DS9 > BSG > everything else

I've been playing a non-Paradox GSG called Terra Invicta, it's pretty great. It has the backstory of XCOM, the geopolitics of EU4, the ship designer of Aurora, and the orbital mechanics of Kerbal Space Programme. There are so many different main gameplay mechanics happening at the same time (Westphalian states, secretive faction politics, agents hunting one another, developing a space industry, researching techs, building ships, managing fleet positions and supplies) and you need to juggle them all because they all interact. Learning this new game reminds me a lot of when I first got into Paradox games and had no idea what I was doing.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Grevlek posted:

I really want to like TI but for all it's grand war in space xcom adjacent fluff it's 25 hours of token placement before you get your first usable space ship

I'm guessing from the time period starting option there will be futuristic scenarios where Earth has already developed space before aliens arrive

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Few things kill my interest in a game faster than "tokens" or "cards"

I don't think it really has tokens/cards. I think the closest is the agents ("councillors") who have different abilities ("missions") based on their starting profession? But their abilities overlap, some character traits also give (or limit) abilities, and you can give them new abilities by buying them organisations, kind of like outfitting a roleplaying character with items.

Like Caitlin here started as a Diplomat, but I gave her a bunch of military and intelligence organisations and now she's my best expert at assaulting alien assets

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
The aliens give the game some real difficulty, they're like the Mongol/Hun/Chaos invasion in Total War games. The AI isn't going to beat the player otherwise.

But an expanse mod would be cool!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Frionnel posted:

It has pops.

Could just be majority/minority culture, which would be a hell of a lot more easy to balance mechanics around and compute during gameplay!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What? Have you read the dev diaries because this is clearly not the case.

I had not

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Taxes should be as high as possible for a given state's ability to enforce its will on its subjects. "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy".

What are you gonna do about it, rebel? Declare independence? Overthrow your rightful king?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I should try HOI4 again. Someone recommended it to me once when I asked if anyone knew a war game where I could just plan things on an operational/logistics level, but my computer at the time kept making GBS threads.

The logistics side is definitely my favourite part of HoI4. Researching tech, designing the equipment, putting it into production lines, designing the formation the equipment will be fielded by, then training the divisions and sending reinforcements to them in the field... the whole thing is interconnected, it's amazing. Have any other games tried to do something similar? 4x games like Master of Orion or Stellaris basically ignore equipment as a tangible resource you have to produce and stockpile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Arsenal also has some good changes to logistics. I've not played it for a while but I recall armies and navies carry supplies with them so units don't disintegrate when cut off, which makes the AI more formidable.