Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

You can actually do this though. Ignore China and wage war on the colonial powers after grabbing the focus that forms your own faction. One of the prizes you can demand from winning is creating allied puppets from seized territory, who automatically join your faction.

Yeah, but you have to win first, which is a very rare thing in HoI (at least in the sense of actually ending a war). I really wonder how many people actually ever ended a campaign while at peace after a world war. I'm thinking single digits. Not percent, actually just single digit people, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Drone posted:

I actually enjoy playing Britain in HOI, sorta. The only real issue is that you constantly feel like you're overextended since you have to defend a massive empire, but when playing against the AI you almost never have to actually fight the Japanese in Burma, meaning your only real land war outside of continental Europe should be against the Italians in North Africa. In previous HOI2 incarnations this was generally pretty manageable, we'll see how that theater works out in HOI4.

Yeah, one of the things I'm really looking forward to is simultaneous combat in different theaters. Hoi2 and hoI3 I was mostly forced to shut down combat operations in one area if I had to command operations in a different one, simply because it was too difficult to keep an eye on things in two places at once. With the battleplan system you can give one theater a rough outline of what you want to do and go micromanage somewhere else and come back without your army outmaneuvered in the meantime.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

OperaMouse posted:

As mentioned before in this thread: it's a common house rule that the French player takes over as the USA once the Vichy government is installed.

Also helps against the "Hay guys I've spent the last 5 in game years building a min-maxed army let me just throw that onto the continent real quick and win the war by 43" that a good US could pull off. The US is going to need a while to unfuck what the AI created.

In unrelated news, i have installed the BlackICE mod to see what all the fuss was about (since it was apparently the mod to use as a representation for the modding DD). It's..a thing. It is most certainly a thing.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Neobdragon posted:

I've been a bit of a fan of the BlackICE mod over the years and it seems they just keep adding more fuss and annoying micromanagement into the game. Like, I want to manage the composition of my divisions but do I really want to go through assigning transport divisions, etc. Next version I bet they'll add something stupid like assigning cook-attachments and poo poo or else your divisions dont get supplies and die of starvation.

It's mostly the sheer amount of questionable design choices. I mean, I am a grognard, I play War in the Pacific, a game that makes HoI 3 look like Call of Duty, but holy gently caress BlackICE. Holy gently caress. There are about six million battalion types with literally hundreds of tiny incremental upgrades. You have to research and upgrade ammo storage for your fighters so they get a whooping 0.05 air attack more. It's needless complexity masquerading for depth. Researching new artillery guns makes your trucks worse. None of it makes any sense.

And then of course they went and replaced the counters of dozens of divisions with their historical insignia, somehow managing to get all the drawbacks of counters with none of the benefits. Is that jumping deer counter an infantry, mountain infantry, mechanized or Panzer division? Who knows!

The thousands of new units also make the game slow to an absolute crawl as soon as war starts, so that's fun.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Gort posted:

Hmm, good point. Maybe there does need to be a Europa 4-style "disaster" where if you don't make an effort to suppress partisans at all the country can flip out and start spawning bad infantry divisions to fight you.

I like this idea actually. I usually don't bother with partisan suppression at all except to detail a cav division or two to play whack a rebel.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Starting to get worried about the AI. Between the Soviet Union in the first WWW campaign and now France, it really hasn't looked too hot and made some pretty questionable choices.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Conquest snakes are a hallmark of Paradox games.

Except that snake ran north to south and moved east. It was seriously disconcerting. Definitely puts the long delays for HoI4 in a new light.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

They apparently never use the current build for streams if that makes you feel any better

Actually they say they always use the newest build, so...yeah. In the last stream they even reloaded to get a newer build.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

az posted:

WWW is on right now and I love the looting equipment mechanic. Using Czech tanks to fill in tank divisions is neat as hell and I hope they'll let us liberate enemy ships too :getin:

His invasion of Germany turned out to be a bit of a clusterfuck.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ExtraNoise posted:

Trying to get some planning together for the HoI4 modern mod. I want to come up with the "major 8" that will have a host of custom graphics, entries for names, custom focus trees, etc. This seems like a good place to start.

But actually picking the eight nations is proving to be a little more difficult than I thought it would be. I'm planning for the mod to span from 1993 to 2023. What do you feel are the "major 8" nations from this period?

Obviously:
1. USA
2. China
3. UK
4. Russia
5. Germany

Then ... maybe?
6. Japan
7. India

And then what?
8. Iran (this is the one I'm leaning toward)
8. France
8. Turkey
8. Indonesia
8. Australia
8. Brazil
8. Canada

Having a hard time with these. I don't want to make it too euro-centric.

Also, do any of you remember seeing a screenshot with HoI4's major 8 all side-by-side? I could have swore I just saw it recently (I specifically remember the darkened-Hitler that will ship) but I can't find it anywhere. Not in the dev diary, not in this thread, not on reddit, not using Google. Maybe I fever-dreamed the whole thing?

Edit:

Also on my short list. A fantastic candidate.

Picking the "major 8" is like trying to choose your top 8 on myspace circa 2007. Ugh.

There is actually a guy on the paradox forums who is trying to make a modern day mod, maybe you should contact him?

There are also about a dozen "Add fuel/supplies" mods, not one of which has so far managed to present a viable way to make tanks use fuel when moving and stop moving when they run out of fuel. But they have great design documents about how the fuel refinery/synthetic oil plants are going to be balanced!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

podcat posted:

We are way past topics I had planned from the start now! Into unknown territory.
Honestly, you guys got anything you want to know for the last week one? I'v just jotted down "get drunk and think of something" in my calendar atm :D the 2 before that are all planned out though.

"poo poo that I'm super-proud of but that you guys probably don't care about" would make a nice topic. That or an open Q&A.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I think it's being rebranded "World War II-sday" and this week will have a special 2 hour stream (don't know if they plan on making them 2 hours from now on though). I could also distinctly hear cKnoor in last week's teaser stream but I don't know if he'll be joining in the fun.

Rumour has it that you will also be able to start pre-ordering HOI4 tomorrow after a Polish retailer totally ruined the surprise.

The HoI4 preorder was probably the worst kept surprise ever. Everyone knew that it had to be soon after Stellaris launched. Really the biggest part was that you couldn't preorder earlier.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Groogy posted:

He mean by saying that from watching the best HOI4 player whose 8h job is specifically being really good at it manage to beat the AI in streams means that the AI is going to be utterly garbage incapable of playing the game. And somehow playing Co-Op with someone is gonna make the AI better?

In fairness, he usually beats the AI by building large amounts of the most basic unit and essentially attack-moving them across the enemy's territory. That's not exactly the most stellar design.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Sharzak posted:

You will not be able to build tanks unless you purchase the tank pack

You can totally build tanks but it's a microtransaction of 99 cents per tank.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

walgreenslatino posted:

China doesn't have indigenous tanks so it doesn't need special models, and it already has a unique focus tree

It actually doesn't.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Zohar posted:

confession: I like stellaris

It has a lot of flaws and a lot of parts that basically scream "I was made to be expanded on in a paid DLC", but after years of soulless MoO2 clones you have to admit that Stellaris at least loving tries to be original.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I really like the idea of season passes for paradox games, but I don't particularly care about cosmetic DLC that has no measurable gameplay impact. So seeing part of the expansion budget burned by the Argentinian tank pack would feel like it was wasted money for me. Not sure how Paradox could change that except with some sort of build your own bundle mechanic where you chose what DLCs you get as part of the pass.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Drone posted:

So how are you going to be rejiggering national spirits for the 1990s?

Germany: Blühende Landschaften (-20% IC)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Gort posted:

Why is terrain mapmode the default, then? In every single Paradox game I immediately switch to political view on entering the game.

I'm guessing that's how the Europa Universalis map in the boardgame looked so it was the first mapmode implemented, and it just kinda stuck around.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

mackintosh posted:

A lot of people appear to be pissed Stellaris turned out to be a pretty balloon filled with a lot of hot air and not much else. This might coincide with the fact that Stellaris seems to have brought in a lot of new players, as opposed to Paradox veterans who are used to this kind of thing. To be quite honest, I'm ever so slowly getting tired of hand-waving these shortcomings away. HOI4 better deliver.

There are already plenty of indications that HoI4 will launch with severe AI and balance issues. How hard those are to fix remains to be seen.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

it would be really interesting, to live in the world that guy lives in

Just imagine yourself being constantly afraid of everything and hating it because it makes you afraid.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Westminster System posted:

When did it become ok to do Jacta instead of iacta yet still do it in the wrong order.

I seem to remember that Latin has no word order rules, but then again I haven't had Latin in like 12 years, soooooo...

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

I just like exploring big open worlds. I suck at following a story all the way through.

This right here. In Skyrim I just wandered around, robbing tombs and murdering bandits until my travels got me in the vicinity of a quest location.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

axeil posted:

Sales or current players? If it's current players :stare:

Sales. Current players are 7k and 5k, respectively.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Wiz posted:

Seems legit. Gonna pitch an early access survival game as our next title.

Honestly, the one I find most bizarre where people are complaining about dumbing down/lack of depth/cut content is HOI4. HOI4 has basically every feature worth anything from previous HOI titles and then some. What exactly was cut besides 3 hours of micromanaging OOBs at the start of any game? :psyduck:

It is really amazing how incredibly important people seem to think the OoB system is considering that it added next to nothing and was only in HoI 3. 1+2 didn't have it, not even in the rudimentary shape it is in 4. I guess people just want to micromanage everything to hell and back, because for most wargamers that represents depth. Same applies to the battleplan system - its a great addition considering the level of play the game is going for, but people are so used to ordering every single goddamn division around that they just instinctively hate it.

Gort posted:

Wouldn't mind something slightly more involved than "put 300 divisions under field marshal, draw offensive line encompassing entire enemy country, set to blitz mode, allow superior industry and division design to win war for you", but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

I've found the game much more enjoyable when I don't use field marshals at all and only use 24 division armies (army groups, I guess).

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

I wish peace conferences ever ended up with anything other than one side being totally annexed, except MAYBE a puppeted capital.

You should be able to reverse the decision another country made if you pay what they paid in points and then some, which will be given to the other party. It would make such scenarios a lot less likely.

Also there should be an option to transfer industry and the like for points so that minor countries don't have to spend their points at the end of the conference annexing some godforsaken province in the middle of nowhere because that was the only thing left (looking at you, Hungarian Ural mountains).

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I still don't get the OOB fetish. It was only in one out of four HoI games (I guess if you wanted to be super-specific it was only in one out of 6) and yet people pretend it is the most important part of the series. And it adds nothing! Nothing at all! No one ever agonized on whether this army should have that general or this one, no one ever wondered if the first corps should have three divisions or four. It was something you tried to engage with as little as humanly possible. ANd what little choice there was is still replicated by the system in HoI 4.

It...just...WHY?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Pleased to inform the thread that as of today there is one more goon working at paradox.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Me, obviously.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Which title are you in charge of dumbing down for filthy casuals?

Hoi 4, so most of the work is already done :haw:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I have a Eurocentric history degree, a condescending personality and a bunch of fedoras ; I thought I was a shoe-in.....

I have a history degree and the most popular content mod for hoi 4 at the time, the other guy they hired studied English and history too. Can not comment on the impact of hats.

algebra testes posted:

Lol.

I would like to think during the interview they asked him if he had stairs and his house and he respoded "no, I live in a flat"

They asked me if I had any questions and I said no. On the way back I realised that had been the perfect opportunity to pop the stairs question. Sad!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

The one to add the REAL nazi flag in to the game?

I consider it a high point of my modding career when I got more downloads than that one. In your face, Nazi scum! Oh, I'm sorry, historically accurate German political activist.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Zombiepop posted:

This, it's great, but buy the kebab special If you get the chance. Also always take the hot kebab sauce.

And can someone ask some paradox person why the hell they dont use kickstarter? like at all? or am I wrong? I want Victoria 3 and I am willing to pay.

From what i understand, Vicky 3 will be financed using the Star Citizen model, i.e. pay 100 bucks extra to get a special Kaiser-class dreadnought when the game releases.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Its the individually wrapped postit notes that really brings it together.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Also why are you using a newsevent to actually do a thing?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Fuligin posted:

I actually had that exact 4th option but took it out because I thought at first it was the cause of the problem. I'll look into whether or not b would be an issue for ENG though, thanks.

I wanted it to fire for everyone, which I think is only possible through a news event? For the sake of ~elegance~ I didn't want to create one news event that fired for everyone else and then a country event just for ENG, but maybe that's the problem and I just have to bite the bullet.

That's not elegant and tries to fit a square peg into a round hole. You make an event for England and fire the news event from that. Besides, everyone already gets a capitulation news event for the RAJ, so I dunno why they need to be told that the Raj has capitulated, again.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

I am from the god-blessed United States of America, yeah. More of an issue than Swedish laws preventing me from getting in is that the US demands a load more documentation and continual bank data and taxes and such from its expatriate citizens than nearly any other Western country, so I'm much less attractive as a hire just because of all that potential paperwork attached to me.

That'd be it. Hiring non-EU people is apparently a nightmare of its own as well. Although I'll bug someone about the reapplication thing. We hired two people on the June opening (I should know, I was one of them), and this is supposed to be a new opening.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Looking at that, I really wonder. Moving to Sweden ain't no thang for a Nordic and I've certainly played enough of the games. My education is even focused on researching cool poo poo for various cultures and areas.

Then again, humanities/social science guy wanting to be an ideas guy might not be a viable career path? Who knows...

loving go for it, man. I have a MA in Early Modern History and work on HoI. The senior embedded QA on HoI is a trained biologist. The tech lead is a bona-fide Violinist. The other new Content Designer is a god drat English major. As long as you can prove that you are not the kind of idea guy who expects others to work to his rough ideas but someone who can actually implement his ideas, you have a real chance. Modding experience is a huge plus. Modding experience in CKII or EU4 even more so in this particular case.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Decrepus posted:

Paradox made Hearts of Iron 3 and 4.

As a matter of fact, Paradox also did Hearts of Iron 1 and 2

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Enjoy posted:

And was the dog that was killed one of HoI4's error dogs

All Errordogs are present and accounted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Koramei posted:

I... kinda doubt they're going down the list in order, unless they especially wanted some of their titles to be saddled with being called project Caligula and project Nero.

Dude we make games where you can be literally Hitler

Do you really think we care