Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I really like seeing the potential for empires to have flavor and character so far, between the science ships, events, being able to watch precivs blow themselves up or elevating them into an allied civilization, and the different ethics and pops. Even seeing the fanatic collectivist stuff excites me because I hope it's different from regular collectivist. To have each and every of the 16 potential positions be fairly different from each other and not have fanatic to just be regular x2 would be great. I'm trying not to set myself up for disappointment but this really seems like it could be the space game that actually hooks me. I enjoy stuff like Endless Space and even Civ but I only ever play them once then move on because the civilizations have very little character (the abstraction involved in Civ kind of ruins their historical character for me). To have already heard that Paradox recognizes how important historical identity is to their current games and to endeavor to actually imbue something similar into a fictional game excites me. When the game was announced I was afraid they'd simply make a space Paradox game and not realize how important history is to making each nation interesting to play. Don't let me down you bastards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Ever notice how castles are larger than the provinces???

No???

Okay.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Can I abduct the Vault Dweller and rewrite Mothership Zeta?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I thought it'd be a good idea to try an HoI3 MP game on launch day. After 14 hours, we finally made it to the beginning of the war in China, when the game broke entirely. So I tried an SP game and made it to 1937 after maybe ten hours. There is a reason CK2 heralded the arrival of "new Paradox".

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

DrSunshine posted:

1945 - 2010 game has a DLC where you can play as nongovernment international entities.

The converter from that game to Stellaris will create reptilian races from any world entity of that nature.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Wasn't that fanatical collectivist that had the slavery stuff? I read that as being an option for like hivemind species.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
So it looks like we'll be able to use different types of FTL on our ships so long as they're in different fleets. Wasn't it originally one FTL type per empire?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Alikchi posted:

I can't really help you specifically with Hoi3, but if you feel like an HoI SSLP I would check out Chief Savage Man's Kaiserreich playthrough on these forums.

I appreciate the recommendation, but honestly my LP is more about the story aspects/possibilities of Kaiserreich than it is about the game play of Hearts of Iron. Darkest Hour (or any HoI2 game) is a bit opaque and I'd probably fail if I attempted to delve into the game play with any kind of authority.

PS: The LP is ongoing, just been swamped by schoolwork and the holidays.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Dibujante posted:

They're just mad because their "safe space" is being invaded. Safe spaces are for children.

What percentage of these posters have CK2 trait lists that tell you they are Cynical Geniuses?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Is it bad I only really want HoI4 for Kaiserreich?

If not for the alt history options inherent in the focus trees, I'd probably play KR exclusively after the second game.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Will everything continue to work indefinitely?

What I mean by this is that in my Kingdom of Spain KR WC game I had to go in edit all the nation files so I could release puppets after 1970.

This is important to me.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Cultural levies being tied to the province and cultural retinues being tied to the ruler seems like a decent configuration to me.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Empress Theonora posted:

What flag changes does KR have that aren't due to ideology? I guess I mostly know KR through LPs since DH is way too intimidating for me to actually play. :v:

The PSA and AUS get to choose a flag via event, something I am quite envious of as the CSA.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I kind of like that mechanic if it'll be used only for my core worlds. It'll be like CK2 where I feel a special attachment to what I personally designate as my core holdings. (usually a few baronies in the capital) Doing it for everything would be a chore.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I joined a day one multi-player game, after about 15 hours we had reached early 1937, at which point the Sino - Japanese war brought the game to a screeching halt.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I could imagine joining a federation as is if the late game invasions are actually a dire threat. It'd be a compelling choice if I had to give up sovereignty in order to not be left out on my own against a huge enemy.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Gotta go after Brandenburg so you can get that sick unification event perhaps eventually.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I was going to buy a stock so I could be a protesting stockholder but probably some Nazis will do the same thing.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
'i think you'll find there's a reason there are no Sub-Saharan stockholders in your company :smug:' - the forums, too soon

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Bort Bortles posted:

As an American I would like to know what is a holiday?

A time to get some great deals, obviously.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I think even just having it be our real world map adds a lot of beneficial context, something I wonder about in Stellaris because how will the map have character when there's nothing like a sea to represent a major geographic barrier. Hopefully the galaxies have some geography to them, like perhaps a very strong empire makes one of the spiral arms into a fortress and you have to use some kind of choke point to get in, but if it's just a big network of stars that all have a number of connections to each other, I think it'd be about as exciting as playing a version of EU4 with no oceans.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I do hope that in time we get more options for differing starts. I would enjoy being able to eventually be the monstrous evil that tears through the galaxy or to be almost like the Systems Alliance and leave my home systems to find a full fledged galactic society. What if instead of the game fleshing out over time, you end up exploring your way into the midst of a major galactic conflict that was going on at game start? There's a lot of possibilities here that I'm excited about and if it were any other developer, I'd be disappointed in what isn't in the game at release but given past experiences, we can expect DLC to morph the game almost into its own sequel over time.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Where's my painting of the Dalai Lama?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Darkest Hour has just enough QoL things I'm used to at this point (provided I don't ever need to use the spacebar while renaming units) and I actually find that map to be very aesthetically pleasing. The HoI2/AOD map is an atrocity, especially if you're playing HoI2 and can't play in native resolution.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I really want to buy that CKII t-shirt but I'm afraid to see what the shipping costs will be for the complete opposite side of the world. :ohdear:

A mousepad and hip flash is costing me 6.96 to ship to New Jersey, so its not unreasonable for a North American. God knows when it would get here but for a three dollar flask i can't complain.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Were they actually going to include all those ridiculous fan-made ministers and was there controversy about that within the team?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Sharzak posted:

I absolutely cannot loving wait for VR mapgames where you do this. Maybe not using a crook, necessarily, but standing in an actual war room with a bunch of different maps on the walls, cigar smoke filling the air, people coming and going, actually getting handed paper documents with reports and poo poo on them, junior officers celebrating at victories, the atmosphere becoming more and more grim as the enemy front moves closer and closer to your capital...

Was it RUSE where you could actually zoom out and see the room your map was in? That'd be a cool concept to flesh out, especially if dropping your controller causes you to accidentally nuke the Bonin Islands instead of Hiroshima.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Go for it, it could be the trigger that sends them into a counter revolution.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Looks to me like the focus tree doesn't support three mutually exclusive choices so it had to be split up that way. Authoritarianism is probably a better way to represent the dichotomy that then evolves into totalitarianism of right or left variety, as basically every power of the time was collectivist during the war by necessity, whether it be espousing the glory of the Aryan race or promoting the unity of the Empire or that everybody has a job to do in the American war effort, etcetera.

I hope that both Spains get some interesting focus trees in future content updates or expansions, particularly Republican Spain trying to navigate its chaotic situation and deal with Soviet influence. Nationalist Spain could obviously have goals as part of the Axis or its historical neutrality.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Paradox Grand Strategy: The Truth Is In The Middle

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Germany was my first HoI2 game after playing Argentina in the Platinean War scenario to get familiar with the game mechanics in a smaller arena. It's only natural to try and turn history around rather than play as a historical victor and I was also intimidated by the naval aspects of playing as any major other than the USSR and Germany. Naturally, I ended up failing miserably at Sea Lion and put off Barbarossa so long the USSR jumped me first while I was farting around invading Republican Spain to get to Gibraltar and made it to Warsaw by the time I could put up any type of defense. Plus a lot of people like me probably watched a lot of the old history channel as kids where everything was about Nazis and a lot of the episodes were about events like Stalingrad, Dunkirk, Kursk, etc. and treated with the 'if this one thing had gone differently, the whole war goes differently' type of thing.

Now if your first AAR/LP is about Germany and waxes poetic about the figures in Nazi Germany who fell short of being Satan incarnate, that's a better indicator. Also German flag avatars, of course.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Depends who you're playing I guess. If you're up against the Western Allies, you reach a point where the logistics and effort of organizing overseas attacks become more tedious than intriguing. I remember in HoI2 there was a peace with the UK event that felt a bit lame (pretty sure you just got Portsmouth and maybe a few of the colonies and I always preferred to release England, Scotland, Wales and eventually invade Ireland and leave the exiled United Kingdom to fight an eternal war. Hell even in my Kaiserreich game, there was an event that didn't fire until 1949 that mentions a leader who dies in 1940 as if he's alive, simply because it requires you to be at peace and I never was technically at peace, even when there weren't active operations.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I've only played a few HoI MP games but my impression is that most have house rules designed to make sure some reasonable version of World War 2 develops. For example, the last one I played banned human players in China because it was impossible for Japan to be any kind of viable threat to the Western Allies with an organized Chinese player playing with a purpose. I can't recall any related to the Germans or Soviets specifically though.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Neobdragon posted:

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Mussolini have a interest in the independence of Austria during this time period? It is only after a visit to Germany in late 1937 that Italy basically signals to Hitler that they don't mind an anschluss.

So with this in mind I'm pretty surprised that they're able to declare war on Austria with no repercussions from Italy in the livestream, especially with "Historical Focus" turned on.

I do remember Italy guaranteed Austrian independence in HoI2.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Kersch posted:

JURY DUTY NO

If it involves a white supremacist in any way, just notify the court that you're very agitated to be there as you'd rather be home guiding Nazi Germany to world domination.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
A flag choice would be cool though because iirc even New England gets one of those.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Yeah, I always wonder that myself. Especially since I can imagine a syndie America drawing on people like Lincoln in a way other revolutionaries might not.

It might also be cool to have more options to meddle in the Americas. I followed Chief Savage Man's lead in his LP and made the Reed Doctrine give you an alliance with Centroamerica but I'm thinking it'd be cool to have events to prop up syndie Bolivia or Brazil against La Plata. Stuff like that.

America in general doesn't have the events to act like a world power in the same fashion as Britain or France. Of course it has the resources and industry to sustain the entire Internationale war effort on its own if need be but a little more flavor, particularly with regards to South America, would be fun.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I had a game in the old Modern Day Scenario mod for Armageddon where the Iraq war past the initial fighting was represented by giant partisan risks and Afghanistan was a stable American puppet. The American AI didn't garrison Iraq at all so Iraq revolted and was immediately destroyed by Iran, Syria and Saudi Arabia. Other highlights were the neverending Ukrainian civil war because newly built units on both sides were destroyed by the crazy powerful jets before ever reaching the front line and that playing as the EU meant I auto annexed with cores any European nation I could get into my alliance, including Turkey and puppet Belarus from a war with Russia. My desire to conquer the UK from the 'Coalition' faction is what led to total nuclear war. Hell of a mod.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Lord Tywin posted:

So I just came home from a company presentation where Fredrik Wester and the CFO of Paradox presented the company to potential investors and now I am completely reassured as both an investor and as a customer. Fredrik said that they weren't going to show any projections because those are extremely hard to predict. Furtheremore, he said that they weren't going to engage in quarterly capitalism but instead grow over time and that some quarters would be good while other would be bad but the market would get used to it. Overall Fredrik seems extremely competent and as he said if he just wanted to make quick money he would just sell the company now instead of keep owning the largest part of the company after the IPO.

were there any indications on his true feelings regarding space Marxism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Vanilla EU3 is a pretty good comparison actually, with respect to playability and tedium aspects at least. I don't remember what the AI was up to other than France being a nightmare and every game turning into eternal war once you made the plunge into being a forever badboy. Things like trade were too much of a pain (autosend merchants didn't appear until Napoleon's Ambition) unless you had max mercantilism and was satisfied with having an unbreakable monopoly in domestic trade centers and nothing anywhere else.

Victoria II also felt similar to this game, in that I can see the fundamentals are all there, particularly with the pops, but there's a lot of stuff that is bizarre or not working (minimum wage would ruin the global economy in the release version, iirc), there's some irritating mechanics (influence whack a mole) and it feels like there's not much going on (Crises did a lot to spice that game up). While Victoria II felt like it was one internally focused expansion away from really shining, I understand why Paradox moved on from it and don't see that they wouldn't give Stellaris the attention it needs.

Personally, I have no problem with how Paradox does their dlc, because I don't think we'd have anything like the EU4 and CK2 you have now without that process. They're good these days when it comes to responding to the audience and though I can't say personally because I haven't played a Paradox game without loads of DLC, it doesn't seem at all like it used to be when you had vanilla EU3 which felt completely archaic by the time In Nomine was out, EU3 Complete which was not complete, and EU3 Chronicles which was the only version worth buying. The games evolve over time and in response to the audience, and Stellaris is evolving from a blank slate, rather than from CK or EU3. Some of the QoL things I'm surprised ever got to release, but it's fun and it's not poo poo. Not something I'd recommend to a non Paradox fan yet (who could spend forty now or ten on the base game on sale, 7.50 each for the first two DLCs and fifteen on the third one that's new at that point), but fun and not poo poo.