Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I honestly completely forgot about At the Gates until Shafer recently resurfaced with that update out of the blue. I'd probably have never thought about it if he never brought it up. It was just another KS that I'd written off as never coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
At least Magna Mundi and East vs West weren't kickstarters.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

Woo, Death of Dishonor is coming out in 5 days! I didn't see a release date until today.

What's the lowdown on this? Will I finally have to stop bean-counting airplanes?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AnoHito posted:

No, I saw that. I just think if you're stupid enough to make an immortal ruler a general, you should get a sort of "tempting fate" punishment for it.

I just think that if you label something "immortal", it should actually, you know, do that.

Also, moving your goalposts is very unbecoming.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SkySteak posted:

So I remember hearing that the Imperialism series is really the other game that comes to close to what Victoria does, particularly when it comes to economic factors. Given the GoG sale is on and both Imperialism games are quite cheap, which one is worth picking up in this case? 1 or 2?

Imperialism 2 is technically set within the EU period of history, whereas Imperialism 1 is set in Victoria.

Imperialism 2 has a bunch of interface/quality-of-life improvements that make it easier to play, but these games are cheap enough that I ended up buying both anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
HOI3 on release when the UK AI would build nothing but transports.

I think there was also that CK2 demo where people figured out how to lift the time limit and just play forever.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So EU4 is at grog game levels of expensive if you have none of the DLC.

If I only have the base game, what's the bare minimum I should be getting?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V for Vegas posted:

Meanwhile the Paradox juggernaut gathers pace

Overlord, but you're managing an 19th century slum and factroy

Age of Wonders, except the map is Europe and you're Napoleon and you still have magical powers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've not played Stellaris, but doesn't Master of Orion 2 have "pops", in the sense that you get one humanoid figure per 100k inhabitants and you shuffle them around either being Farmers, Industrial Workers, or Scientists?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think there's a setting you can change to force Soldier POPs to centralize in your capital.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spectralent posted:

You know, that makes shitloads of sense, and is far better than raising bumblefucksberg's first and only regiment. Am I looking at a mod or am I going to have to tweak it myself?

Not on my gaming PC so sorry if this isn't detailed enough, but you're supposed to go into the text file for soldier POPs and set a flag of "state_capital_only = 1".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Patter Song posted:

Yes, Hearts of Iron takes place over a decade, not a century like Vicky or a third of a millennium like EU3 or three quarters of a millennium like CK2. The contingency in the game is supposed to be "what if the results of the war were different in way X," not "What if a fascist UK wanted to reconquer the United States" or something.

And yet you always get mods that try to do that, so I think that Focus Trees were a way for Paradox to try to have their cake and eat it too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone point me to the latest version of Kaiserreich for Darkest Hour?

If there are any other DH mods you want to recommend, go ahead and link me as well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sengoku was the proto-CK2

CK1 came out before EU:Rome

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think there were a not-trivial amount of people who registered in SA just to be able to vote in the Crete LP

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Playing Kaiserreich as the Totalist Soviet Republic, we've managed to win the European portion of the Second Weltkrieg - Germany and her allies have been conquered either by my troops or the Commune of France's, and Syndicalism now stretches from the Bay of Biscay to Vladivostok. The Kaiser has annexed Mittelafrika and continues the war from there. It is 1939.

I guess the next step is to wait a couple of years to build a massive naval fleet so that we can start making amphibious landings ... and/or going full Internationalist and conquering countries at will, possibly creating a path of conquered territory to Africa through the Middle East?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

I'm fine with failure.

Less fine with

* Vanish for 18 months *
"Hey guys I'm back. Sorry, let's get back on track..."
* Vanish for 18 months *
"Hey guys I'm back. Sorry, let's get back on track..."
* Vanish again *

I caught up with a dozen pages just to post this because goddamn loving Jon Shafer posts an update that's basically "well I don't have a mid-game, and I don't have a late game either, oops!"

I was angry enough that I found myself buying the Empire Builder DLC pack for EU4

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kainser posted:

Most people want an AI that makes them feel smart when they beat it with their clearly amazing strategies.

Yeah, this. The challenge of AI is not only making one that could beat the player if they really wanted to, but to make one that puts up enough of a stiff fight to give the player a sense of accomplishment and struggle, but folds up anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
in an MP game, what's the biggest size/power disparity you've ever seen between two players? Like, has it ever happened that someone is France and someone else is ... Ulm? Doesn't that make you a really easy target?

In a similar vein, has it ever happened that someone is, say, the UK and someone else is either an American or Asian nation? Does that make the unciv player an easy target, or does it take long enough for a Western nation to reach those places that the uncivs can put up a good fight?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Agean90 posted:

i hear the vicky2 economy was designed by milton friedman himself

the next 6 decisions will be critical

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Only problem I had with full communism in Vicky 2 is that it made slavery a political reform that communists would reverse.

Full Communism causing Capitalists to pop-convert into Slaves would own, actually

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Vicky 2 does have population demographic pie charts, it's just that AFAIK the charts are so disorganized as to be near-unreadable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
can I get a recommendation for a Darkest Hour mod that adds a bunch of events and options and stuff like Kaiserreich but doesn't change the timeline so drastically?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I only read this latest page. Stoked for Imperator Rome. What were the other announcements?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RabidWeasel posted:

Crete has 8.

looks like we gotta do another Crete LP

Populists! :argh:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jamsque posted:

I for one hope that Paradox continues to use HoI4 as a honey pot to keep the facists and ethno-staters and Wehraboos out of the grand strategy games that I actually want to play.

Germanic tribes and Scandinavia is going to be in the new game though?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You're right. Game better start with everything written in the Old Latin alphabet, then have new letters introduced if Rome conquers Greece. :v:

HOI4 dumping the faux Cyrillic from HOI3 was a real shame.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
aradox is removing my ability to feel uman

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

We need to recreate the Crete LP. It's only proper

:argh: populists! :helladid:

Twitch plays Rome 2

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been away from Victoria 2 for a while but thinking of getting back into it.

Are there any good mods to look out for?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a mod that has a more decentralized V2 setup so that you're not just bumping into the UK all the time. Like, I dunno, something that explodes the map into all the smallest breakaway nations possible.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ilitarist posted:

I remember that in Vic1 that was an apocalyptic event. Most factories needed machine parts and there were no artisans. So if you aren't a GP it's hard for you to get any of machine parts even when GB produces them. You could get some from events I think.

yeah there were certain inventions that would give you Machine Parts, but you would have to be very careful with your trade/stockpile options to make sure you actually kept all of them until you yourself could research a Machine Parts factroy, then build one yourself

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Beefeater1980 posted:

This should be intuitively obvious but: if you know how much money is coming in next quarter, you will have fewer layoffs.

We've seen game development companies enact layoffs regardless of the success of their games.

Layoffs are only relevant to income if it's the difference between the company going under or not, and sometimes not even then, but the logic of profit maximization is that you engage in the layoffs anyway, because if you cut labor costs to a minimum, management gets to keep more of the take.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V for Vegas posted:

Johan literally said IR had the most content of any PDX game on release. Seems the guy who made it would have the inside line on what was in it.

It seems to me like someone trying to sell their newest game would have a material interest in saying that that newest game has the most content out of all their previous releases

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Vicky 2 and HoI3 are the only paradox games I've completely memoryholed and times like these, part of me wants to go back.

e: wait, also Sengoku was a thing

don't forget March of the Eagles

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
an AGEOD game that ran as smoothly as a Paradox game and had an interface just as intuitive would be a godsend

I learned enough about AGEOD to actually be able to understand it as I play it and I still can't stand it because the whole UI/UX is complete rear end

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think the way it's supposed to work is that you want a highly-educated population for the purposes of maximizing research and making sure that they can promote into Workers and Clerks, but being literate increases their Consciousness, and being a Clerk means wanting/needs more goods and a broader range of goods.

As you build-out your military, it's going to be increasingly expensive to maintain, which means you're going to want to raise taxes and impose tariffs, but high taxes and tariffs means people can't afford their daily needs/wants, and that's going to raise their Militancy.

Also, your factories aren't always going to be profitable, which means they're either going to close down, which creates unemployment, or you're going to have to subsidize them, which costs money which plays into needing higher taxes/tariffs.

Again, if you need to prop up your factories because the military needs their guns and ammo, that's money you're extracting from your people, which will cause them to become pissed off if they can't afford clothes.

Or the factories will just close down, which means people are out of a job, which means they either devolve back into farmers, or they can't because the farming RGOs are all full-up, which means they're going to be pissed off.

And having lots of pissed-off people is what generates the push for the implementation of reforms.

Of course, there's a couple of quirks with this:

* if your government type is... not very democratic (i.e. has a Senate, has limited voting rights, etc.), then you might be in a situation where people are really pissed off about the way things are, but you still can't implement any reforms because the people in power won't support/allow it

* even if you did implement reforms, the reforms themselves cost money, which takes another chunk out of your treasury, which makes it even more difficult to keep a healthy budget, which means you have to tax people all the more, which causes more dissent, and so on

Lastly, all of this takes a while to really get going, so don't sweat it if you can't have Brazil adopt the Meidner Plan by 1880. These problems are basically a lit fuse that's on a slow burn until the 1900s, which is why the late game turns into a cavalcade of communism and fascism as the contradictions of the game engine are unable to resolve themselves and nations devolve into torrents of angry rebels.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's also not really 1% because most inventions have other things that are supposed to bump-up the chance

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vizuyos posted:

Do you love wargaming and moving piles of NATO counters around while managing their supplies and making an alt-history WWII? Go with Hearts of Iron 4.

my understanding is that AI control means that this part isn't actually true of HOI4 and for that experience you want to go with HOI3, which is the better game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ThaumPenguin posted:

The Victoria 3 thread seems decently active, the Stellaris one gets some posts a day but will likely speed up once the upcoming First Contact DLC drops.

turns out the demand for Darkest Hour discourse in 2023 is a little limited

what about Arsenal of Democracy discourse?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've spent some more time with Arsenal of Democracy over the week, and here's a trip report:

- as I've mentioned, development actually did resume with a new team, and the game has been patched as recently as July of 2020

- at top of mind is that this new dev team completely re-did the rendering engine for the game, such that it supports windowed mode natively without having to switch your monitor display back to 16-bit color

- they added per-province air mission orders, which was previously a Darkest-Hour-only feature

- they also added infinite-duration air and naval mission orders, again another DH-only feature

- they added an entirely new 1936 campaign, named Vanguard, with a modded AI and manpower/resource/production layout to provide a harder challenge. It's still the same map, though.

So far I've played through to 1939 and the conquest of Poland. Denmark has fallen in October of 1939, and I'm now preparing for Case Yellow.

The game still plays and feels like HOI2, and it's a little difficult to suss out the subtle differences in combat resolution besides the fact that Tactical Bombers are no longer division-vaporizing death stars, but the game does play well, and I've not encountered any crashes so far, but the modernized windowed mode alone is, IMO, worth the price of admission, especially now when it's like 2.50 USD on Steam.