Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I unironically desire a sequel to March of the Eagles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

mmkay posted:

I was playing on Ironman, which is why I'm slightly bitter about being wiped from the game by 10k upkeep-free event troops and I'm wondering if this is the norm in the earlier starts and if I should just ignore them all together whenever I'll fire up CK2 next time.

Play EUIV instead.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

He's right tho

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Erev posted:

So I'm set to go on a two and a half week repositioning cruise starting tomorrow and it'll have something like twelve 'at sea' days. As such I'm planning to spend at least part of the boat time catching up on strategy games. Now, with the understanding that I'll have no real net-connection and thus wiki access should I install CK2 or EU4? I've got most of the DLC for the first and like the setting but on the other hand I've really gained a budding interest in the early modern world over the last few years. Which one might I get more mileage out of (assuming that I plan to go out and nab any missing DLC)?

I'd go with EUIV, it's a lot more intuitive and in general better as an actual game than CK2.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Another Person posted:

Viccy 3 would need a lot of transparency added to it to improve over 2. Such as...

"What on earth do all these different tech modifiers actually do? Is 0.2% pop growth huge, or tiny? How about 5% factory throughput? 1% tax efficiency? Where are these modifiers being applied? Are they additive or multiplicative?"
"How is it that you gain more troops, and why when the whole regiment dies once they disappear for a long time, but if they get knocked down to 100 men they will recover just fine? Why can't I disband a regiment and then train another with the same men from the population? Those men never left the population, and never died."
"How am I really influencing these political party changes? If I consistently made motions in favour of State Capitalism in the last 5 elections, why am I still getting in free market liberals every time? They don't even suit any of the other policies I supported."
"Why do I care about a 30% increase of individuals towards protectionism in a province which only has .2% who already support it? Is it making the value 30.2%, or does it mean +30% of that .2%? Does this influence the stances that the political parties actually take to make themselves electable?"
"Why am I killing no men in this battle when the enemy has 0% organisation left and I have 80%, yet they are getting kills on me?"
"If I am the 5th great power and have been for a decade, why does Austria, the 6th greatest power, take over war leadership from me on a war declared against me?"

There is a lot of demystifying that needs to be done to a lot of the mechanics that operate in this game if it were to get a sequel. I consider myself pretty decent at EUIV, and very good at CK2, but this game is impenetrable. It would also need to get rid of chain alliance war leader nonsense which makes no sense.

The economy is the biggest candidate for reform, but there is a hell of a lot of other things that need some work.

Considering the jump in quality of UI and meaningful player interaction with mechanics in EUIV over III and CK2 over CK1, I don't really see why all of these things wouldn't be addressed in a hypothetical Victoria sequel. Warts and all Vicky 2 is still one of Paradox's very best games, and god willing it's next on the list after Stellaris (which I am very psyched about in its own right).

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

New Stellaris diary on characters: here

Glad to see that Pops are apparently Paradox's focus.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I am unironically looking forward to buying 50$ worth of alien fungus themed portrait packs and music tracks.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Westminster System posted:

Isn't the idea that "Romans" were literally only the people from Rome as far as Rome itself was concerned, it was just really liberal in its application of whom it called Roman Citizens.

Very true, although by late antiquity the idea had diffused enough that people in Britain and Egypt could bothl unselfconsciously call themselves "Romans" and citizens of "Romania."

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Cold War DLC is a nifty idea but I can't imagine how it would work in practice, you just run into the same problem as East VS West, that postwar -> present isn't really about HoIs style mass warfare. I'm sure everyone is tired of jerking off to how awesome Victoria is, but that honestly seems like the better model for such a game to me, all about the development and political influence game with periodic crisis showdowns over random parts of the globe.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

MPs are good and more or less accurately render the importance of executive personality/competence in the slow lurches of early modern proto-states into centralized administrative governments; see for example Gustavus Adolphus+Oxenstierna, Richelieu+Louis XIII, Philip II holding poo poo together through force of will.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Focuses look really cool, although I still don't entirely comprehend how they'll play out with everyone else. So if you decide to go for the "Ally China" focus for example, you hit certain pre-reqs and then you auto-ally them? Even if their own focuses are pointed elsewhere?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Englishmen crushing a German advance in the Second Battle of Hastings sounds like some badass alt history.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Randarkman posted:

Germany really should have the option to just declare war on Poland anyway regardless of whether Poland folds to their territorial demands or not. That was pretty much the real life case, the German ultimatum was one pretty much designed to be impossible for the Poles to accept, especially when it came to deadline (it was announced to the German Reichstag and communicated to the British in the evening and expired the same midnight, the Polish government had to obtain a translation by way of the British) and who the Germans were willing to accept as negotiators (they rejected the authority of the Polish ambassador in Berlin to do so after he signalled that Poland was ready to negotiate after the deadline expired).

Hitler wanted war, the ultimatum and territorial demands were just means to obtain an excuse. In fact it bears some similarites to the Austro-Hungarians' approach towards Serbia at the start of World War I.

My readings gave me the impression that Hitler, endless gambler that he was, assumed from his own sense of destiny/previous experiences with the Sudetenland and Czechoslovakia that France and England would fold like cheap deck chairs and he would get another wad of free territory. He wanted war, but he didn't expect it just that moment.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Really hoping that next World War Wednesday sees COMINTERM and the Axis team up to rid the world of capitalist excess. Franco-British Union was also hilarious. Japan's impotence and naval passivity is a bit troubling, though.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Enjoy posted:

The COMINTERM, the much feared left-wing association of school timetable planners.

:v:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lord Tywin posted:

I dunno if it's the best idea to attack the Soviet Union with 150 divisions in October, the German doctrines all being researched by 1940 might pull him through though. It's also quite hilarious since Jakob's plan was to ally the Soviets :allears:

They seem to be moving pretty steadily on Moscow, though. I have no idea why he didn't just assign enough divisions to make the Swedish invasion a done deal in the first place though.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sengoku was a cash grab/test for CK2 while it and EUIV were still in development.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

OC brat get out

e; oh god no he's here

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Oh poo poo - releasing the games a month apart!

This is pretty surprising to me. Perhaps the hope is that the more immediately accessible Stellaris will help build more momentum for Paradox before HoI hits. Or maybe they're just banking on separate audiences.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Athaboros posted:

New IP, looks like? "Tyranny" from Obsidian and Paradox.

Looks like a Pillars base.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I intend to play as Germany when HoI drops. Hell, I may even play them several times, attempting different stratagems and tactics against the Allied forces.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Randarkman posted:

EU4 is pretty much a new game compared to what it was at launch now. Will be interesting to see how HoI4 and Stellaris change over the years as well.

Hopefully more EU, less CK2.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

SeaTard posted:

I agree, CK2 has been more enjoyable than EU4 for some time now.

You are all out of your minds.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

COOL CORN posted:

So, I have all EU4 DLC except for El Dorado, Common Sense, The Cossacks, and Mare Nostrum. Which of these, if any, are essential? I don't really feel like dropping $65 on DLC right now :negative: (well obviously I could wait on sales)

Common Sense, imo, or El Dorado for the nation designer. Cossacks does let you play as Hordes, which are pretty spiffy.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

China getting taken out in 2 years by an unprepared Japan is pretty crazy. The AI needs a serious reworking.

It's not too say it's terrible or doomed, just seems like a Paradox title at launch. EUIV was pretty bad in that regard at launch and now it's pretty great.

I was pretty nonplussed by the earlier stream when a small army of German ubermenschen marched in a flat line across the width of Eurasia conquering all they encountered heedless of terrain and supply.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm real pumped for HoIV. I'm sure it'll have its rough edges but at the least it looks fleshed out and robust systems wise, which is... not something you can really say about Stellaris atm.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Honestly I feel like Stellaris is significantly worse off than EUIV at launch, closer to CK2 but feels a lot more buggy. Tons of broken events, comatose AI, a complete lack of trade or any significant diplomacy... I still think there is fun to be had with it, and I think the base for DLC is strong, but drat is it barebones and drat I am not thrilled about having to shell out a bunch of cash for what will probably be stuff that should have been in the base game.

I'm honestly perplexed by it though. PDS is not short on cash, at least from all the news we are privy to, and they have HoI IV coming out next month, a game that appears significantly more finished (time will tell). I don't understand why Stellaris didn't just get a few more months in the oven, at the very least to avoid cannibalizing sales. It doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in HoI, at least.

e: ^^ I'll give Stellaris credit in that it may one day be a good, finished game and for not being fundamentally broken in its core systems, something which can definitely not be said of CiV, even after two expansions.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

John Charity Spring posted:

This is weird - Hearts of Iron: War Stories has just been released, a choose your own adventure game on mobile about being a Battle of Britain pilot. It's free - or at least the first 5 chapters out of 22 are free - so I gave it a shot. It's, uh. It's pretty loving badly written, apparently by someone who doesn't really know what England is, or maybe even what the target age group for the game is meant to be. Also all the characters sound extremely American, and maybe as if they get all their vocabulary from Simple English Wikipedia.

I stopped playing at this point. I feel like I've seen all I need to see.

This is amazing. I definitely think it's the latter scenario. Somebody heard "promotion for a videogame" and mentally checked right on out of there.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Athaboros posted:

I see this sentiment in lots of places these days -- what do people consider to be the 'best' version of EU4, then? Since you can roll back to previous patches in Steam, I'd like to compare how it's changed over the past year or two.

In CK2 the complaint about bloat is pretty reasonable, but the only actual "bad" mechanic implemented thus far is corruption, which only serves to make playing outside of Europe more of a chore. Estates aren't particularly good but they don't actually harm the base game, and would probably be fine if they had a better UI system/some more interesting interactions.

Anyone who thinks adding forts was a bad thing is also totally insane

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I've said it before but I just think it was weird to not give Stellaris a little more time in the oven when Pdox was launching a major title a month later. Most of what people complained about would've probably been fixed if it got a Q4 release IMO.

I feel like people got way too over invested in it though. Like it's cool a good chunk of the dev team posts here but if they can endure code reviews they can ensure shitposting, and if you hated it $40 isn't that much in the grand scheme of things and if it is such a colossal dent in your disposable income you should probably wait for a sale or consider a cheaper hobby.

Ye my thoughts exactly. It's very odd to me that Stellaris wasn't given more time with HoI about to drop and the possibility of cannibalizing their own sales, especially since it clearly wasn't all the way done.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

corn in the bible posted:

anyway ck2 is cool but conclave is irredeemable. explain yourselves pdox

Why do you hate Conclave so much? I feel like it's the only decent CK dlc since old gods. AE and coalitions are dumb as hell but they came in the patch

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So this has little to do with videogames buuuutt.... I just finished watching The Tudors on Netflix. I've already seen both Borgia series, is there anything else I can be watching to wet my Western European historical soap opera whistle?

Wolf Hall

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jack Trades posted:

I was hoping maybe you guys could recommend me a Paradox game.

I've been playing Stellaris a whole lot lately (which was my first Paradox game) and I am really liking the whole "roleplaying" thing it has going on and especially how it simulates different groups of populations and such.
Unfortunately Stellaris is quite unfinished so far so I was thinking about trying a different Paradox game meanwhile. Which one of the other Paradox games does those two particular things best?

If you care about internal politics and the pop system the answer is Victoria 2, no question.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Yeah attaching a sense of identity and history to your units is cool, it just needs adjustments and a better UI. Which defines most of Victoria II. The biggest issue imo in a sequel would be maintaining the sense that when you are developing your country you are doing so by wrangling with a world economy, and not just proceeding down a linear tech tree (the HoI approach, which is fine in that series). I've been reading a history of Stalin and the early Soviet Union's deeply confused economic policies and it has me slavering for more robust, yet comprehensible options in a Vicky III.

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 26, 2016

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Prism posted:

Which history is this? I'm always looking out for new historical stuff to read and this sounds interesting unless it's extremely technical.

It's Kotkin's "Stalin", first volume of a planned three. Stalin bios are a dime a dozen but this one's a pretty amazing feat of scholarship, as much a history of Russia and the revolution as the man himself.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Yessss the Hierarchy of Battle Thralls shall be realized!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The whole point of idea driven sci-fi in the vein of Star Trek and Stellaris is that you can tackle thorny and uncomfortable social issues using checker-face aliens and inequality-fueled sky cities in a safe space devoid of reality's anxieties. Similarly, in sci-fi pulp a la Star Wars, and also Stellaris, we can enjoy the adventure and settlement tropes of orientalist and western-frontier literature without exacerbating painful historical wounds to actual cultures and peoples. So yeah, let us be Space Hitler, cause it lets us as players think about horrible real life atrocities and their actual consequences in a comfortable fashion that can simultaneously be fun.

Imo

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I know there are some masters of Paradox modding here, would any of y'all have an idea why this event just won't fire? It works through console, which recognizes the trigger, and the localisation is set up right, but it just Will Not Happen.

code:
add_namespace = sunset

# The Raj Defeated
news_event = {
	id = sunset.1
	title = sunset.1.t
	desc = sunset.1.d

fire_only_once = yes
	major = yes

trigger = {
		RAJ = {
				has_capitulated = yes
				is_subject_of = ENG
				}
			}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		days = 2
		}

option = {
		name = sunset.1.a
		add_national_unity = -0.4
		trigger = {
			TAG = ENG
			}
		}
	option = {
		name = sunset.1.b
		trigger = {
			has_war_together_with = ENG
			}
		}
	option = {
		name = sunset.1.c
		trigger = {
			has_war_with = ENG
			}
		}

}

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Enjoy posted:

You might need an option for everyone else for it to fire. Also ENG might get both option 1 and 2

Try this

I actually had that exact 4th option but took it out because I thought at first it was the cause of the problem. I'll look into whether or not b would be an issue for ENG though, thanks.

ArchangeI posted:

Also why are you using a newsevent to actually do a thing?

I wanted it to fire for everyone, which I think is only possible through a news event? For the sake of ~elegance~ I didn't want to create one news event that fired for everyone else and then a country event just for ENG, but maybe that's the problem and I just have to bite the bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ArchangeI posted:

That's not elegant and tries to fit a square peg into a round hole. You make an event for England and fire the news event from that. Besides, everyone already gets a capitulation news event for the RAJ, so I dunno why they need to be told that the Raj has capitulated, again.

The default capitulation event is pretty dry, so I'm just trying to zest things up, a la the fluff events for losing capitals. The mod as a whole is meant to punish England for losing its colonial possessions, particularly the Middle East. Thanks for the advice though, that's a saner way to structure things.