Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

AnEdgelord posted:

I just want the Comintern to get some love

i'd put a small quantity of cash down on USSR/Italy/Tank designer patch coming next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Stairmaster posted:

dont loving put in a tank designer you fools

tsk, smdh

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I think a lot of it works quite well and it has some good ideas, but the game does a terrible job of pushing back once you start snowballing (which is weird, that's like paradox's 'thing'), the UI is glaringly deficient, and they should really just go balls in on characters and their interactions. 'Autonomous personalities within your country' is Pdox's best ever idea but for some reason they insist on limiting it to CK, as if individuals were irrelevant to all other periods of history

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gamerofthegame posted:

no it's still bad news, cuz they took "wow we did this system that was pretty solid in eu4 and really loving beefed it huh" as "poo poo no mana ever then"

there's still mana dude

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gort posted:

Yeah, I'm waiting until the "combine all the different kinds of power into one" thing gets a full release and then I'll try again.

Fwiw I think the focus on implementing sim mechanics is adding a lot more to the game than Stellaris's leguin update, which ended up being a bit of a disappointment to me.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

AnEdgelord posted:

Thats because Endless Legend is the sucessor to Fall From Heaven 2

It's not even close, unfortunately. I assume EL is gonna get a sequel at some point though, so we'll see

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The Narrator posted:

What i really want for Vicky 3 is a way for the US to lose their manifest destiny cores or their cores on the south after a significant enough defeat.

i still pine for a continuation of Wiz's AzeriLP so I can finally see what becomes of Ultra Reactionary Cherokee Hellstate of the Prairie

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

the CoH2 Battle of the Bulge campaign (Ardennes Assault?) is actually very good and kind of makes up for how horrifyingly stupid the the base campaign is... kind of

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Imperator has a lot of good ideas now, and looks to be getting more, but it flopped so hard (in terms of reception) that it's hard to see people flocking back. I also don't think these regional focus tree packs are necessarily the best way to go; they add a lot of interesting detail, but only to small patches of an absolutely enormous map. I think Paradox would be better served scattering them around on the big or historically significant nations, similar to the state of EUIV on release

E; so you'd have missions for like rome and carthage, but also the diadochi and parthia and the marathas and arverni, something for everyone and roughly covering all regions and gov types

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 9, 2020

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Rome 2 TW is still bad, just less broken.

Also IR's nes simulationy bent is like a million times more interesting than its bare, lifeless release incarnation, I cant imagine why anyone (apart from johan, apparently) could possibly be absorbed by the latter

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Empires is great and its decadence mechanic is great. Reminds me of playing the ryse and fall mod for civ iv back in the day

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Imperator is good now, but i might be the only person who plays it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Stellaris is like two steps forward one step back but also lets throw some twirling in random directions as well

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah mostly. The character mechanics are kinda fun with events, but marriage is pretty broken. Under monarchy you have to arrange marriages for your own family, but if there's even a slight gender imbalance then the AI controlling the other families will automatically snipe any eligible characters the instant they turn 16. You can try for the ruling families of your neighbours, but they also get sniped the second they turn 16.

this really needs to be sorted with a 'debutante' button or something

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I've played five or six hours of 3 on gamepass and it definitely seems like an enormous jump in UI and graphics and even basic mechanics, but I think i've played CK2 too much to really get into it again. Also they took out the Byz mechanics after finally getting them right, what the heck

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

wiz's hohenzollern lp is what made me finally shell out for an account here

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

im gettin p horned up for marius update right now. I've got my peter brown and my historical atlases and it's gonna be messy. I'm gonna try and turn thrake into a balkan powerhouse for my first playthrough i think

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Wiz is making Victoria III. It will have easter eggs and nods to hohenLP and azeriLP. There will be no anarcho-libs, and nothing will hurt and everything will be beautiful

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

PittTheElder posted:

EU3's long and immutable coring time and probabilistic culture conversion system are both better than the impossibly fast systems EU4 has.

i dunno about the former but hell yeah to the latter

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Spain, Mexico, maybe France are my favorite vanilla trees I think. I haven't tried Turkey yet but it looks dece

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

HoI also supports extensive UI modding just tbc

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Eimi posted:

I wish that's all it was. :smith:

Like the most concise way I can sum up my feelings on it, it gives you an incredible set of roleplaying tools, while giving you no context or detail on the world you use them in.

ya i feel you. Perhaps in a few years and a dozen dlcs i'll feel different but atm ck2 still feels a lot more fun (and remotely interested in its historical setting) to me

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so everything from the already released dev diaries then

we know they're reworking doctrine as well, or adding a general staff feature or something

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

im hootin and hollerin like willem dafoe on the cross

IT IS ACCOOMPLISHED

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fuligin posted:

Wiz is making Victoria III. It will have easter eggs and nods to hohenLP and azeriLP. There will be no anarcho-libs, and nothing will hurt and everything will be beautiful

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

currently scrutinizing those alpha screenshots with a microscope lol

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

gamer, choose your hype level, and let the music play

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i made an oath to myself if this game happened i would make an AzeriLP overhaul for it, so time to reread that I guess.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hellioning posted:

Here is an article about Vicky 3 and here is more specific stuff from that person from Reddit.

there is a hell of a lot of info in that reddit post, good poo poo if true

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

A Dune/Fading Suns/Crisis of the Confederation sort of scifi grand strategy title would kick much rear end

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lum_ posted:

it actually applies to all online games - Chinese regulators differentiate between games mostly played offline/single player (danji) and online/massively multiplayer (wangluo). The split is mainly to keep esports producers happy (they qualify as danji for ~~reasons~~). The three hour a week ban is for wangluo games which by far are the most popular in the Chinese market.

Paradox games would qualify as danji but due to political considerations as well as being a Western developer are banned without recourse.

my impression was that there was still basically zero enforcement of these time limits. am i wrong on this?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

verbal enema posted:

How's Imperator Rome?

I've played a ton of CK2 and Ck3 and some EU4 and I'm looking for a new (old) map look at

It's pretty fun now, at least if you're into the period. If you try it i'd recommend the invictus mod, just fleshes out some more tags. It plays closer to eu than ck, if that makes a difference to you.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jazerus posted:

it's the only game in paradox's "mainline" games (i.e. not march of the eagles, sengoku, etc.) that felt like it was created without the input of anyone who actually knows the time period inside and out, it just has a weird vibe that's very pop-history-rome instead of real-history-rome

This is a weird take imo. Like rome at release had only one consul which was annoying, but the map's attention to detail and different polities is incredible. The game ended up in a good place

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

gradenko_2000 posted:

my understanding is that AI control means that this part isn't actually true of HOI4 and for that experience you want to go with HOI3, which is the better game

what did op do to you to deserve this, my god

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I loving hate paradox 'fans' lol

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Eldoop posted:

And in the case of CK3 especially, a lot of the writing just really doesn't do it for me. It tends to fall into that mode where they won't commit either to a dry, grounded representation of medieval rulership or to wacky hijinks, so you wind up with this very bland middle road that doesn't take anything very seriously but also isn't actually funny most of the time. This is of course made worse by the inevitable repetition of a lot of events, so even if you might've chuckled at your stinky court or the cheese vikings the first time, by the fifth time it pops up there's not much left.

this is something i've noticed. having been playing both recently, ck2 is really just funnier. makes a surprising difference

Vicky 3 is better in this regard, but then like half the events are written in this truly awful pseudo-modernist prose that's almost unintelligible

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Nicodemus Dumps posted:

I wish vicky 3 had more events as good as the "they shall not have dyed in vain!" one.

yeah that's one of the better bits of loc. im also hyperbolizing more than a little, the really terrible stuff is only a small fraction of the total events, mostly the ones triggered by the Journal

Lord Lambeth posted:

I guess I'll just go back to playing CK2

i mean personally there's still a lot i love about ck3, and it has basically a full dev cycle to go

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

4 factions to start is fine, so long as the game itself isnt a lovely cash grab. We shall see

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gort posted:

Yeah, I do wish the historical order of focuses was displayed on the national focus screen. The game knows what it is, since it's what the AI uses in historical mode. Being forced into the historical order could even be a way of raising the difficulty (especially if you're France, oh my god)

yeah this would be a great lil QoL addition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

also i know this has been asked many times before but now is my time: what is the difference between Arsenal and Darkest Hour, why would I play one over the other? I've only spent time with the latter