Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
To use another Blizzard game as an example, I wonder if it'd make sense to do what WoW does and eventually roll older expansions into the base game so you don't need to buy like six different products to play the game.

The economics of that are a bit different since ultimately expansion sales are just extra on top of subscription fees, though. And WoW expansions are much bigger and more expensive than Paradox ones, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I think the HoI IV map is gorgeous and I like looking at pretty things.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Stellaris is probably the most approachable Paradox game, but it's a bit light on substance at the moment so I'm not sure if I'd recommend it over their other games yet.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

India is cool and good.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Didn't somebody actually do an LP of it at some point? The UI looks so familiar.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

TheMcD posted:

Wasn't it this? I can read that just fine.

Yeah, that's the one!

Ah yeah, that's the stuff. This is the web content I signed up for.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I was so completely charmed by the fact that after you nuked Texas you could offer its president a nice cup of coffee.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Athaboros posted:

I love that the LP was basically just a series of vignettes since it seems impossible to stay in power no matter what you do. A Good Game.

I still love that in almost every case the player lost power for an incredibly stupid reason, too, even if they'd done other things that were way worse. Ireland's government fell for trying to ban Satanism; the United States started World War III and the President was deposed by Republicans who were rioting over troop withdrawals from Iraq.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

did people in this thread look at believable worlds and conclude that every other paradox game is clearly unplayable garbage because strange things happen in those maps, too

Groogy posted:

In HOI series it shows the controller color as a solid color, so if it says "United States" in Spain or something that doesn't mean United States owns it, they just did a naval invasion there. It is not actually the owner of the land, just the occupier.

Also, this. Every Paradox game is prone to some degree of border gore or whatever, but seeing "United States" pop up in some weird place means something very different than it does in EU4.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The HOI3 AI loved doing naval invasions, sometimes failing to do the same one over and over again, repeatedly.

Here's Japan attempting to take Guam on horseback:

They also loved trying to take that one Aleutian island they could reach and would generally just sail around the Pacific landing where they could. The UK AI also loved trying to execute Operation Zeppelin, which would end the war when the German AI overreacted and sent everyone they could down to Greece, allowing the USSR to race across Europe unopposed. I also saw the Germans invade Maine once, though I don't know how they managed it.

This has nothing to do with HoI 3's AI, but it's still my favorite screenshot of it:

HoI 3 is an incredibly flawed game I had basically no fun trying to learn how to play and getting destroyed constantly, but I do appreciate that they remembered to include the horse-human hyrbrid soldiers Hungary was experimenting with in the 1930s.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

flagchat: with a very few exceptions (maryland, texas, ohio, etc.) US state flags are basically the worst

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is how accessible is HoI 4? I wasn't smart enough to play HoI 2 and I skipped out on the third game entirely. Can the fourth be picked up and played reasonably well if I am familiar with other paradox games but am a straight up hearts of iron baby?

I only played a few hours of HoI 3 (in which I managed to run France entirely into the ground), but based on general Paradox experience I was able to get a much better handle on HoI 4 and this time I won as France. :france:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Fuligin posted:

If you care about internal politics and the pop system the answer is Victoria 2, no question.

Seconding this, but it's a much harder game, and unlike some Paradox games you really don't want to play Victoria 2 without all its expansions.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Just have Rome II last until 1453. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Anyone remember Blood in the Bosphorus? That Byzantine mega-campaign let's play from, like, a million years ago?

anyway it's back