Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

I don't think there's a NATO counter DLC in the works for HoI4. You have the option of using NATO symbols along with the units if you want them instead of our default icons, but there's no "Just counters, no models" option. Unless I've just missed :thejoke:

pretty sure that was a joke, but yeah we dont have a nato counter DLC :D (or do we! :dukedog:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'd kind of like to see how this style of map layering would look in EU4 or CK2.

it would be harder for sure but a couple could probably be combined. EU has a lot more different stuff you want to see all the time but not necessarily at the same time (if that makes sense). HOI is about war so all mapmodes are either context sensitive or related to war somehow, while EU is about a lot of different things (am I goign through some kind of religious conversion? am I fighting? am I involved in empire politics or tryign to figure out where to colonize etc).
Maybe have two configurable slots could work, like say: how to color your country borders, and how to color provinces and it blends like in HOI4 depending on view distance, but i am not sure its needed as much in EU.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Looks cool. Shouldn't urban terrain provide a bonus to air defence though?

yeah it does, I commented on that on page two of the questions or something like that

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Dibujante posted:

This happens to me every time I think "I bet that legacy operations portal we've got doesn't really need 2800 lines of code in its main controller."

Heh, v2 economy code is more like 4k lines or so not counting scripts, but its difficult soul crushing code.

New HOI diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-29th-development-diary-16th-of-october-2015.887017/

podcat fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 16, 2015

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Tomn posted:

The late Victorian/Edwardian period was a strange time for ship design. There was even a point where naval designers experimented with ships built around ramming (because steam makes you independent of the wind so you're basically a super-galley, right, and you can do so much damage if you manage to hit a ship below the waterline, so...)

hgggnnnnnnn..... now I feel like we should add ramming attacks to HOI4 ships

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Come sign up for beta: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-4-beta-signup.888039/
We need lots of sane people.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Groogy posted:

Actually while I was working on AI for HOI I had a big problem of Switzerland joining the Allies and kicking Germany's and Italy's rear end and conquering huge swaths of their land. Don't think you have anything to worry there. Switzerland is really damned strong, but I believe they are not gonna steamroll anymore but be more focused on defense now.

yeah, the swiss are still OP on the defensive.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

One thing I wasn't clear on from the diary - will the new supply system allow for things like starvation of the UK or the Japanese home islands through convoy raiding?

yes very much so. stuff doesnt teleport to London.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Please tell me the dog commander popup in the bottom right will survive to release

yeah its part of our better debug tools for devs and modders. will be possible to enable in released version for modders. Also you guys havent even met Sergeant Console, the cheating beagle yet ;)

Pimpmust posted:

Another outlier that I wonder about is Germany at war start in 39, when it loses access to importing oil and haven't yet acquired oil production of its own (Romania). Probably will have a few synthetic factories, but a little odd to not be able to produce tanks/planes/ships suddenly?

you can still produce some, but at a very reduced rate. its not a 100% cutoff.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

This actually sounds really fun, I'm impressed.

confirming proxy waring is super fun in MP :)

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Takanago posted:

Cross-posting from Wiz's twitter: Fascist Bhutan is called the 'Thunder Dragon Empire'.

its kinda relevant name actually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druk.
I'm sad he didnt have time to build a DRAGON FORTRESS so he could have held the indian troops at bay and got taken down :(

new dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-37th-development-diary-11th-of-december-2015.896886

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Gort posted:

Is the stuff on Wiz's Twitter the only news about this? Do we know when the patch is coming?

Since its basically me, Wiz and Groogy doing this in our spare time I cant really promise anything. It will likely also be "beta patch forever" you can download from the forum since its an older title etc. So we will see. I already did a bunch of stuff earlier during summer vacation (Like a second level of world war rules to really f**k the world and engame unit balance) so there is at least a little chance we will put something out during christmas holidays.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Merry Christmas: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/victoria-2-3-04-beta-patch-merry-christmas.898844/

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

Same. I didn't even know V2 was available on Steam, it's that old. :confuoot:

e: jesus loving h christ V2 + HOD is £30 on Steam :eyepop:

heh :capitalism:

as I posted on our forum:
"We will make some kind of zip archive available after christmas when we got some testing on this beta. I cant do it now because I dont even know what servers I can use (we havent done non-steam for a long time)"

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Quorum posted:

Any Paradox game in which I cannot play (Space) Byzantium and remove (Space) Kebab is a failure. So far, this is only Hearts of Iron.

not sure I'd get away with renaming fascist greece to neo-byzantine empire

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Dibujante posted:

It is remarkably hard to get Alan Turing facetime in WW2 videogames, despite his substantial role in winning the war.

he is pretty high on my cool list so I'm sure he'll appear in HOI eventually

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That would make sense, but where did you read that? The OP sounded pretty clear that they still got the bonus even if given manual orders.

yeah you still keep the bonus if part of a plan although it will be ticking down of course

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Why did you ever stop doing LPs? :( Growing up and having a job is hardly an excuse...

And since HOI4 still isn't important enough for it's own thread I guess we can leave today's dev diary about nukes here. They do pretty much what you'd expect them to do. I wonder if you get more newspaper headlines for each successive bomb? Each one 'hoping this will be the last' as your enemies are driven before by a wave of atomic fire.

nah, but there are lots of specific events for certain cities

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Gort posted:

Yeah, Edward would be useless in terms of actually making decisions, but he would lend an air of legitimacy to the fascist movement. Mussolini also kept the Italian king around, but he didn't have any power.

Edward actually has some interesting traits. He is flagged as an Inexperienced Imperialist which gives some unity boosts and lets him justify wars faster, but he gets less political power (which you need to manage occupied areas effectively for example or fudge around with government)

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

I dunno, but they must have had a bunch of artists working overtime. Looks like a crazy amount of painted portraits.

I think we have about 450 unique portraits atm.
I did some checks early on what it would take to paint ALL portraits from HOI3. it would take about 19 years ;D

podcat fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 18, 2016

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

We are way past topics I had planned from the start now! Into unknown territory.
Honestly, you guys got anything you want to know for the last week one? I'v just jotted down "get drunk and think of something" in my calendar atm :D the 2 before that are all planned out though.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

What's the reasoning behind taking out the mini map in hoi 4? If you want to get to China from England it's 3 actions (scroll out scroll east scroll in) and a lot more time than before.

Its not needed for a few reasons:
- the reason to look at china is because you have units there most likely, in which case you just click on the army icosn on the right and camera goes there
- you can bookmark areas of interest which makes going there faster (if you dont have troops there)
- zooming out, then in rapidly is really fast and more precise than trying to hit a tiny minimap
- you get area alerts which (you guessed it) you can just quickly go to by clicking.

Generally right clickign anythign with a location (like units in the unit list) in the game will move camera there.

Usually its something new betas go "where is my minimap!" then after a while realise they dont need. we might end up adding one as optional in a patch just because, but its not needed at all.

Obliterati posted:

e: in seriousness watching the WWW between Germany and Britain eventually Germany's sheer size meant the player was missing bad things happening to him in quite a few places, where the British player had fewer things to focus on. Minimaps are good.

I dont see how a traditional paradox minimap would help here. you still need to jump around and actually look at stuff. This is also one of the challenges of playing MP, because player attention can not be everywhere and paused you can do sneaky stuff.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

axeil posted:

I still remember when STALKER got announced back in like 2003 or 2004 or so and I was so hyped. And then it came out and it was awesome. A Obsidian/Paradox team-up to do STALKER But Not 8 Years Old would be awesome.

Oh and earning lots of :10bux: is cool for Paradox. Now they can really get down to it and make Victoria 3 Rome II

this would be amazing. STALKER is such a great game. I did get a similar feeling playing DayZ before it got infested by hackers/cheaters though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

yeah, couldn't help myself :3