Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Masters of Orion wasn't a good enough game to deserve 85,000 remakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think you're taking the word "remake" a little too literally. People who make Space 4x games do try to do their own thing and are usually not just aping MOO directly, it's just that calling it a "MOO-like" or a "MOO spiritual successor" or whatever is a more handy descriptor.

Yeah except the problem is that almost every game in the genre is Masters of Orion except shittier or with some new feature they tacked on that is useless/unfun/broken

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean I agree that it's kinda annoying that EU4 and to a lesser degree CK2 can be frustrating if you don't have all the DLC, which makes it harder for new players to break into because its not $40 its more like $200 if it's not sale time. But I'm OK with paying $20 every quarter or so for the game personally.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alikchi posted:

I really love EUIV's Client State mechanics and I hope similar dynamic country stuff is in future Pdx games. Especially HoI IV. Would be perfect for Reichskommisariats/protectorates, things like the RSI, and the post-war occupation zones in Germany.

Use it for renaming puppet states :grin:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The weather effects look like rear end IMO and I wish I could turn them off. My political map mode mod hides it mostly, but it still appears on buildings and uncolonized territory. I also don't like how the lighting gets a little duller in winter.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every single feature of Vicky is like, half way fun.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rincewind posted:

Learning HoI IV is going to be... rough, since everyone always says to play Germany and I refuse to play as Nazis on principle.

lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rincewind posted:

gosh why would i possibly not want to play as the perpetrators of the holocaust in a game series i enjoy for their emergent narratives

I mean, obviously I'm not saying that everyone who plays as the Nazis in any WWII strategy game is a bad person, or anyway-- I'm just talking about my own personal comfort level. But for me, what elevates Paradox games over other strategy games is the way they tell stories, of the way they take at least an abstraction of some real moment in history and then diverge from it in interesting ways, instead of just being an abstract system that's kind of history-themed, like Civilization, or whatever. Even when I'm not actually doing an LP of a Paradox game, the narrative the game creates is still at the front of my mind. And "how Hitler turned things around and won WWII" is not a narrative I really feel like seeing play out.

And, I mean, maybe that's hypocritical, since in other Paradox games you're probably still doing like twenty awful things a minute, but HoI IV feels a little different to me since it's both so much more recent and so specific-- it's not several centuries in which some stuff that may or may not be similar to real-world events might play out, it's 1936 and Hitler is already in power, and I (again, just speaking personally) can't get over the sense of just what that represents in the narrative of an HoI IV game and just appreciate the abstract strategy or it all, or be interested in the Man in the High Castle-esque historical counterfactual, or whatever.

Again, I'm not saying that everyone is morally obligated to feel like this, or that we shouldn't have WWII games, or whatever-- I'm just trying to articulate the reasons why I, personally, am kind of weirded out about playing as the Nazis. Like, it's fine that not everyone feels like that, but I hope it's at least kind of understandable why somebody might be?

holy lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People like that guy make me embarassed to enjoy mapgames

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like the biggest joke is that the nazis dont have to be in power in HoI. You can change that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But basically you're a loving dipshit if you think supporting nazis or whatever and playing a large, grey, GERMANY on a map is the same thing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zedprime posted:

To bring it back home, isn't this what they do for EU4?

IIRC they just play it themselves for the most part, although they do nerf tactics they consider exploits once and a while

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you might be the richest software developer ever if you make a consistently useful machine learning system though. so if you think you have such a great idea, time to swing for the fences!!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VerdantSquire posted:

1. PoPs are a good idea and should stick around, and

Pops were almost as lovely as the economy system. At least you could directly influence them but that system sucked rear end.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VerdantSquire posted:

Pops were amazing because they added a sort of character to your nation. Not only did the fact that they were independent actors capable of influencing the player from the inside of their nation make them an interesting gameplay component, but just their presence gave the player an idea of what their nation actually looked like. Pops were a great idea that I will defend to the death, and I'm really happy that they'll be in Stellaris.

Thats why they were bad though

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can have fun with either one without endlessly obsessing over the wikis. I mostly only use the EU4 wiki to easily look up idea sets and policies and stuff.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pharnakes posted:

Please make Fascist India have a swastika, but the right way round.

That would be awesome

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Also if you siege down a province adjacent to an active fort but don't control the fort, the province will switch back once you leave it.

Also also you usually need to control a nearby fort to get a warscore going.

You need to control at least one fort to demand any provinces because the AI has a -1000 modifier so if you have 60% warscore from battles, blockades, and like, occupying the Canaries, Castile will never give in because you 'dont have any adjacent forts'.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NewMars posted:

They're also the company that made Emperor of the Fading Suns and the Fading Suns RPG it was based on. :eng101:

Edit: Also, Merchant prince, a Venetian family simulator where you could build a villa and burn down your rival's for political game and had a moddable table of slanderous lies to accuse your opponents with.

They and Hammer of the gods share a wonderful map mechanic sadly found nowhere else, where You start out with a full world map, but this map is not accurate. So you'd see a city on it and explore where it is only to find a mountain or a forest or something and the city itself a few squares away. This got worse the further away from your starting point it was, so you might have entire continents written down that did not actually exist.

This would be an amazing feature for Random New World games in EU4, although I bet the engine can't support it. I guess you could make a TI texture with an insanely inaccurate atlas map or something and hope you can position juuust right.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Another Person posted:

There is still only total victory where you take the wargoal, white peace or surrender, but they have added in a couple CBs, such as the tributary CB. You can use that on any neighbours to force them to pay you until your or their ruler dies (not sure which), and they are also counted as an ally for your nation which you can call into war, which I don't think they can refuse. However, as a tributary, you must also protect them against threats.

You basically turn them into a low maintenance temporary vassal.

Whichever comes first. Also tributaries are ridiculously OP because they are almost always forced to respond to your call to arms, so they're almost better than regular vassals. I don't remember if they count against your vassal limit though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oberleutnant posted:

What the hell happened with Sengoku anyway? Even Rome got a decent expansion/update after a while but Sengoku just got dropped the minute it came out the chute.
Cash-grab to tide them over while CK2 was in development?

I think it's like March of the Eagles and it was basically just a paid beta test

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Losing is fun, but only if you choose to lose. Lmao. This guy is crazy. Random chance is an aspect of every game ever made, whether its the coinflip of whether you will beat your human opponent or whether you are fighting some kind of probability system. EU4/CK2 would be a million times shittier if it just hid all the math from you (hello V2) and left you in the dark when stuff was happening.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zedprime posted:

You're surprised at video game fundamentalism in a thread full of map game grognards for series that are traditionally workshopped by its developers with competitive multiplayer matches?

I bring it up because its just as prescriptive to focus on The Sharmats comment that it isn't a literal game after the original comment explaining that failure is vital to a game's experience, which is still a broad stroke but an important one that defines the map game through line. There are many sources of random failure and the entire point of a map game is to statistically minimize those in favor of the good stuff. That seems to be the case of the anomaly system that's being argued over as well, since it is influenced by scientist skill and traits they have collected so far, almost as if its a cool system that is meant to be probed and prodded by a player to find the dynamic but maximized approach like Apoffy's description of how to get good CK2 leaders.

:goonsay:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bort Bortles posted:

lmao the "I know how to design a videogame better than professionals" entitlement is so loving delicious.

That's not a picture of this thread

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkrenown posted:

You can have a non-interference policy if you want to pass up all that free slave labour for some reason :confused:

Are you allowed to just brutally glass the pre-FTL civilizations and colonize your new Mars-like world?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm kind of sad that I have to use ground troops to clear filthy xenos instead of just slagging the planet and turning it into a moon colony pretty much. But whatever, it would probably be really unbalanced if some rear end in a top hat could just send a large scouting fleet around to glass all the habitable worlds that are too far to colonize just to deny them to everyone else.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As everyone knows, there are no muslims in India or Hindus in Pakistan.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clausewitz 3 should just render everything on a sphere to stop the projection-whiners. Also it would look really badass.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gort posted:

Sounds a bit like Darkest Hour, where a fleet of 30 modern CAs will murder anything they run into. That game had horrible naval mechanics. I can do an effortpost if anyone wants one, but I might start getting flashbacks halfway through.

My favorite Paradox naval game was the one where Aircraft Carriers didnt actually have aircraft, they just had guns with ridiculous range.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would be funny if enslaving/eradicating species of your own archetype made other races of your archetype mad, but they don't care what you do to those filthy fungaloid 'people'.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

If you're wondering how a society can advance itself technologically without fire and other vaguely science facts
Just repeat to yourself
"It's just a game,
I should really just relax."

This

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*playing a game about galatical domination and warfare* WTF? I can't play a non-violent government?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why can't I play a Red Cross nurse in WW2 shooters

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most people in the US don't mind about not having a vacation period for most jobs because virtually everything except the service industry and government shut down for at least part of December

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zedprime posted:

After that we'll just need the Americas implemented too to make sure Asian pre-Columbian exploration is covered even handedly.

Ahh, finally, then the tremendously important settlement of Greenland and Iceland can be simulated.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you had watched The Physician, then you'd know that the Mullahs exist only to be stepped on like the ants they are.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hate to say it since I really loved CK2 but I haven't even played more than 10 hours in total since Rajas came out. Horse Lords did a lot of good stuff but IMO it's still suffering from Old Paradox Disease where they don't have an end goal for the game in sight so it begins to suffer from all the addon features like a cancer patient. EU4 seems like its starting to go that way too but it's not bad right now.

Guess what I'm saying is, why does Paradox seem to work on one feature and then abandon it forever, like they seem to have more or less done with all the Muslim stuff.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's part of my biggest problem with decadence. Instead of the greatest enemy of Islamic Expansion being heretics trying to dumpster you, it's faceless not-Seljuks from nowhere. WTF.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want the Space Rome government where you enslave alien races but 50 years down the line they are the same as your starting race trait-wise, just with different portraits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gotta say, one thing that really pisses me off about EU3 (and now EU4 with region-naming I guess) is that it doesn't display a name at all until there's more than one province. Why. I get why having French North Africa stretched across one province would look retarded. So why can't it just say France.