Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This politics chat about a fake space game where the politics words mean things like checking a box that lets you own alien slaves is super freaking retarded. FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What's the general feeling about Cossacks, worth it for $15? Looks like a fun set of features, nothing amazing, and I guess estates were a really polarizing addition?

Estates is the Order of Battle of EU4. Technically its in your best interest to micromanage it but do you really want to deal with that when you could just hide every notification related to them and pretend that the old random revolt system is back?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagine if people whined as much about playing the USA in Vicky 2 when we were at our most brutal and expansionist, or just about anyone in EU4, as much as people whined about the concept of playing Germany in HOi.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well yeah dude. It's completely obvious why people want to play Germany more than other nations, but people in this thread act like it's buying a signed copy of Mein Kampf off of Ebay while jerking off in a Waffen-SS uniform

People play Germany because it's the strongest nation that is on the offence instead of the defense, and because they get to be the big man on campus until the Allies are finally unshackled by events

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This guy doesn't agree with me about playing a particular political map color = literally being a neofascist, and honestly its these kind of kuckservatives are ruining the forum. Catch me in the Let's Play forum where retarded people fawn over me and inflate my self-worth

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defeatist Elitist posted:

There is an excellent community of mp playing goons for paradox games, and games are held very regularly. Come play with us my lord~

"excellent"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

tbf they're the only group of goons that actually plays this multiplayer so the bar is really low.

I play with them

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FreudianSlippers posted:

Paradox should make a game set in Africa starting in the 50s and 60s where you play a newly independent former colony. You wouldn't be painting the continent with your colour but more dealing with both your own internal politics and the world politics of the Cold War. Being a Mega-Mugabe kleptocrat should be just as viable of a playstyle as actually trying, and probably failing, to improve things despite everything.

So Tropico except instead of communist rebels you have ethnic groups hatcheting eachother to death in the streets

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khisanth Magus posted:

Every time people say that we are approaching the theoretical limit of increased CPU performance using the methods that have been getting used, someone comes up with a brand new method to further improve them. Intel just came out with an entire new architecture, although it is only an incremental improvement under Intel's cpu strategy of doing incremental improvement - major improvement - incremental - big.

It's impossible to make CPUs any denser without causing electron tunneling. The last 10 years of improvement has been about spreading the load around as much as possible and multi-core processing and also GPU offloading for generic number crunching

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Like I can't believe you even think you can throw that at argument at me as if it's a clever gotcha

In EU4 you have complete control over the tools of how you want to decide your battles. You can see other countries's informations on what ideas they have, ideas they completed, what their military capacities are and the tech level they are on. This allows you to make an informed decision of whether or not you want to fight them and if you do what your current odds of winning are. Then you go into the actual battle and can see if the numbers add up to do what they say to do as you calculated

In Stellaris what the gently caress do you have. You fight and numbers go up in the battle screen about damage done to hull or shields or whatever but what does this mean. I'm doing 10k hull damage with big torpedoes okay cool what frame of reference can I use this for. I don't know their ship weapon or armor layout. Did they do repeatable techs to increase their armor by 10%? Did they even put armor on? They're technologically superior to me but what of it? Are my battleships using all their guns to target their battleships or are they targeting their destroyers or what? Are my missile corvettes hanging out at the back at their max range or are they standing still in this mash pile getting hit by kinetic weapons? The closest piece of intel stellaris provides is the debris at the end of the battle but even if you want to vaguely act on it good luck refitting your fleet one at a time for full price and waiting time of the upgrades one ship at a time per starport. So you just slap on your highest tech on your ship and pray the black box spits back out some good news

If you're digging through the ledger pretty much ever while playing EU4 you are short-changing yourself extremely badly. Fog of war is what makes the combat in EU4 and stellaris fun.

Also if you have entered combat with that specific ship design or you have good enough sensors you can just click their fleet and look at them, including after-modifier values.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Westminster System posted:

Though frankly I'm not playing a paradox game for the combat.

So... What? You play it for the numbers ticking up? All of Paradox's games are, at their heart, somewhere between a typical RTS and a full-on wargame. All other features like economies and diplomacy and characters exist merely to give background and flavor to the combat

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PrinceRandom posted:

i try and go entire games in Victoria 2 without a war :colbert:

Victoria 2 merely replaced traditional conquest with economic ones. You might as well play in sphere mapmode instead of political, because its showing you the same info as like, the EU4 diplomatic mapmode.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If paradox games were multicore though that would be sweet.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would gladly have paid for 20 different content packs if it meant estates and states never got into EU4. So glad we have Stuff To Do In Peace Time, as I click each province after conquering it 5 times instead of once

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rome is fun but it crashes after a few decades for me.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Takanago posted:

Give Rome 2 a co-op mode that lets people play competing dynasties/factions within a country.

Then run a giant Crete MP game.

This would be fun.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fermun posted:

March of the Eagles had a lot of really cool things going for it and it was a really tight 10-hour weekend multiplayer game. It unfortunately only had about 5 good playthroughs worth of material for a single-player game, but it was a game you could do multiplayer in a weekend and have a definite endpoint giving a clear winner, which has a bit of its own appeal, but how many Paradox players actually do multiplayer.

Disturbingly low number considering how much of any particular game is designed with MP in mind and how little it is for SP

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enjoy posted:

It was a passive-aggressive joke about his joke not being funny enough to recognise as a joke, if you must know!

You can dress a whiny sniveling comment up as a joke but it doesn't make it one

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Another big reason why the latest DLCs suck for both games is that they're basically just a new tab on the UI that you can maybe ignore completely if you want.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking forward to CK3 where you only get to play William's invasion of England and any other scenario is DLC and also there's only one unit type unless you buy archers and horses etc for $5 each

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

unlike the current model where you have to buy the ability to be pagan

Uhhh well it's actually good that you pay $80 for what would have been a $20 expansion 3 years ago, or a launch feature 5 years ago.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YF-23 posted:

When DLC is doing that, adding systems to an already existing feature of a subset of countries, that works great. Giving trade republics unique trade mechanics works great. Giving the Hindu countries religious mechanics works great. And that works well because systems on top of those features are always "tacked on". The Catholic cardinal game is "tacked on" on Catholics, but doesn't feel like it stretches them, because it's a subset of a feature (religion) rather than something fundamental.

With features like Estates, because it's a DLC feature it has to be tacked on for the game to work without it, even if it's something that should be fundamental (internal management). The limitations of DLC features do not mesh well with user expectations or ambitious development. And, having played with estates a few times (in multiplayer at any rate), I wouldn't say they're as bad as people here like to say, but rather underwhelming instead.

Then you have stuff like CK2's conclave which actually manages to knock it out of the park by being super well integrated into the game's fundamental mechanics. But CK2 is also less of a boardgame so comparison is actually not all that easy.

Estates are bad and conclave is worse

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guy behind coalitions and AE in CK2: Actually our DLC model is ftw

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DStecks posted:

Trying to get into Endless Legend has revealed that what I really want is Stellaris, but for fantasy instead of Sci-Fi. I just find all the of the factions kinda less than interesting, and it's always them in every game. Stellaris definitely solved the "Oh hey it's the Drengin" problem, and it would be amazing to see that applied to a fantasy setting somehow.

It didn't though. There's a huge number of ideologies and gov type combos, but just like EU4 there's only a handful of AI types so instead of whatever sci fi race always acting a certain way, you just see Fanatical Purifier and you know exactly how they will act

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's good to me when a developer for a game gets salty in the thread, for their game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone posted:

HOI4 isn't his game. He does CK2 only afaik.

Last I checked those were paradox strategy games and this is he paradox strategy game thread

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Last truly good CK2 patch was probably the post-Old Gods hotfix... There's been a lot of good changes since but they always come with retarded stuff like India and tribals

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

inkwell posted:

incomplete holy american empire flag im working on

Cool idea but a lot of those state flags don't make any dang sense. Like the California Lone Star (white flag with large red star) would be a lot better instead of the Bear Flag. Also you should totally jack the eagle from the federal seal instead of a medieval style one

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

These guys need to go the extra mile and fly Roman standards

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Charlemange also lets you play as Ragnarr Lodbrok, if playing as almost certainly fictional people is your thing.

Although come to think of it, almost every non-major ruler even in the 1066 start is more or less fictional.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I actually hate the DW/V2 map. The grid is cool but the creases look like rear end.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cantorsdust posted:

When it comes out I will also buy it and post a trip report. Even if it sucks I love my modern day strategy games.

Paradox get on your poo poo and make Modern Day America Universalis please!

I would pay good money for a Total War or Men Of War game where the United States collapses into a bunch of squabbling states. Gotta conquer your neighboring county with your redneck jeep militia so you can bribe the USAF into not bombing you

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stellaris is what happens when someone goes 'imagine estate management from EU4 or planned economy in V2 except that's the only gameplay feature'

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ofaloaf posted:

The golden ticket fangathering yesterday was pretty dang fun, and there's some real cool & chill dudes around who were an absolute delight to talk to. The devs themselves present were superb conversationalists- shoutout to Groogy, who had a circle around him listening intently the entire time- and I ended up in a back corner of the gathering with Jamor, the current project lead for Stellaris, who spent most of the time talking about Hearts of Iron mechanics.

There was, however, also man wearing a MLP sweatshirt and a dogtag with nothing but a fasces on it, talking about how much he loves playing as communists in HoI4.

That guy owns

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Civ 5 is the most popular because its essentially a smartphone game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FreeCiv is the best in the series

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shame about their map mod looking like a schizo went to town on the provinces, though. Representing historically important city states and exclaves and stuff would be a fantastic idea if the freaking provinces weren't static, which they are, so its totally retarded

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZearothK posted:

It can even be a feature mentioned in the previews that never ends up implemented, like cadet dynasties in CK2 or fun in Stellaris! I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stellaris 2 needs to rip off The Lost Fleet for space combat, where you spend days or weeks maneuvering to meet each other for a like .2 microsecond engagement where almost every weapon fired misses due to time dilation screwing up your observations because every fleet is flying past eachother at relative .3c or whatever.

I'd be ok with a space 4X that's just a 1v1 with a few player controlled sub factions.