Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I hope the game has space elves so I can have no moral qualms about running massive space gulags with only them in it and have them be the cannon fodder in my ground forces.

God drat this game is going to own even if it only delivers on 1/10 of the content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
So you guys remember in the last thread we found that guy who fantasied about Nazi Germany invading the US? He made more posts!

For some context, the three options he's talking about :
1) Status quo ante bellum: The Germans just wanted their pre-WW1 borders but Poland wouldn't give in (Danzig Corridor), so WW2 was unleashed.

2) Continentalist theory: Germany wanted continental hegemony in Europe (autarky, drang nach osten, lebensraum) to rival the USA in the future, a cold war of superpowers.

3) Globalist theory: Germany was after world domination, meaning it had to destroy any opposition from other states

Übermensch posted:

Germany originally just wanted it's World War I borders back plus Czechoslovakia. It was even willing to just let go of all of it's colonies too.
It was never willing to go to war over the land it lost to Denmark or, the low countries, or France, but it would prefer to have them back. I can see them asking for referendums similar to what they wanted in Poland that I will explain shortly.
"Oh you can't have Czechoslovakia" well Czechoslovakia was just a section of the former Austrian-Hungarian empire which collapsed after WWI, and Austria being joined with Germany was just a given, and since Czechoslovakia had such large amounts of German civilians in it and it had only existed for 20 years it just made sense to absorb it too.

Once Poland refused the offer to have a referendum in the corridor to see which country they wanted to stay with, with the other country getting rail lines so it doesn't lose access to Prussia in Germany's case, or the sea in Poland's case, Germany just said "screw it" and invaded.

Once the British and French empire's went to war with Germany and neither one was willing to make peace, and Britain was even going to invade Norway and Sweden as part of their R4 plan which forced Germany to pre-empt it, and then they were going to invade across the Rhineland, Germany did yadayadayada and France made peace with Germany. By this point Britain STILL wouldn't make peace with Germany and the Soviets were gearing up for Operation Thunderstorm which was the invasion of the European Axis so Germany rapidly realized that they were probably going to have to go for Option 2 if they wanted peace at last.

But at no point did Germany ever want to go for option 3 nor was it really ever capable of doing so even if it wanted to.

MAYBE if it defeated all opposition in Europe and there were still forces outside of the continent that refused to make peace and continued to wage war from wherever they were at, then Germany could have spent time building up and going after them to finish them off.

So MAYBE we could see an invasion of the United States in like 1948 or something if the US refused to make peace even after the Axis had eliminated all their foes in the European continent.

But even then it wouldn't be for anything other than to just eliminate the threat and once the US made peace or was destroyed I can easily see relatively unchanged borders but I bet Japan would get everything in the Pacific and Germany would get everything in the Atlantic and maybe Norfolk as a military base.

So in a nutshell all Germany ever wanted was Option 1 but it was continually forced to up the ante because the Allies just would not kindly f*** off.

:allears:

BillBear fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 30, 2015

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

He later on got banned in the thread by the community mod for citing his sources from holocaust denial sites, so we'll never know. :v:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

So I just got completely outplayed by the Vic 2 AI the other night, holy poo poo that experience was down right terrifying. Let me explain.

So, I decided to play Russia on the PDM mod, I then choose to try and isolate myself from European affairs while I try to tackle Russia's abysmal literacy rate (8.7%, Russia what the gently caress), since I wanted nothing to do with Europe and wanted to have as much £££ as possible I decided to disband my entire navy because hey, Russians totally don't need one! Little did I know this decision would ruin my drat game.

So, it's 1860s and everything's going smoothly, all my NFs are focused on getting as many clergymen as possible to educate my terrible peasants and so far I've avoided any fights in Europe. My army is massive and easily outnumbers any Euro army. Suddenly Germany decides to eat massive chunks of Austria and I decide that I'll break my rule for one moment and seize some land from this pathetic, poo poo nation while he's down. I see he's allied with the UK and think pfft, he can't do poo poo, I'll crush him if he decides to gently caress with me. I quickly fab some CBs and decide to roll into town on Austria after Germany's hosed him up real good for me.

First mistake, I was at 20 Infamy already after I just bullied one of those shitholes in central Asia, asking for one bit of land from Aus bumped it up more to around 25 - 30. Anyway after I've seized some land and crushed some remnant forces I think to myself I'll ask for more! He can't do poo poo to me and no one will have the nuts to try and contain my mighty nation. Turns out I'm loving stupid and misread Slovakia for Slovenia so I ended up asking for a bit of land bang next to Italy, land I don't want and has only added more infamy. gently caress it, I'll just ask for Slovakia too. 40 INFAMY.

By now I have taken most of Austria and think it's all over. I noticed beforehand the royal navy was blockading my entire western coast. Blocked it off with 20 ships. 20 poo poo ships. My entire nation started to collapse from this blockade, my army was costing me tons of money and I was losing so much cash I had to can my education budget, max all tax, half my army spending and it still wasn't enough. I losing 30k daily and my middle class was starting to starve to death in their own homes. poo poo. gently caress. poo poo! I thought the UK would allow me to bail with just 1 piece of land but he told me to gently caress off. He had no armies in Europe and was willing to let his ally die just to spite me. Some months later poo poo is getting dire, Russians are leaving my glorious empire in droves and heading to the States. I decide to throw in the towel and ask for white peace before this poo poo killed me.

"The United Kingdom has declined your offer of white peace, you stupid moron."

I was at 20 warscore. Fuckers knew they had me by the nuts and weren't letting go. Next thing I know, I go bankrupt and my armies are at 10% morale. Suddenly Britain shows up with 30k and completely wipes out my entire invasion force and unsieges all my poo poo slowly. They still decline my WP offer. I witness in horror that Britain is intentionally starving my entire empire to death, while I sit there and sob like a total bitch. Some time later, after my nation is in complete ruin, he asks to loving CONTAIN ME OH GOD. I accept reluctantly and think its all over. Turns out 1 million reactionaries somehow afforded enough money to rebel and completely gently caress me up, since I can't build ANY army for years I just sit there and watch. They enforce demands then Jacobin & Nationalists double team my nation right after, they also force their demands.

My empire is dead, I can't afford anything and rebels keep deciding to take turns loving me up the rear end. Never again will I mock Paradox's AI. Never. Again.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/643246304998150449/2D40FF6FEF96CAB2CC9D477E18616831168E12DC/

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Talking about converters, is the CK2 - EU4 one working fine? I'll love to do some sort of mega campaign.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

It's funny how people bring up space nazis to justify white only portraits but when in reality if we knew about other intelligent life forms capable of loving us up Nazis would switch from race to species in choice of targets.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Also this thread right now reminds me of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqvfRYETTsY

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

I think you're really overestimating the Nazis, here. Genocide was an end in and of itself to them-- when their entire country was tumbling around their ears they still put resources into carrying on the Holocaust.

gently caress Nazis.

Paradox should really... like... do something about all of the weird nazis and racists and reactionaries who have taken roost in their official forums.

It seems like it's a problem in the fanbase for these games in general-- the last time I played CK2 every time I hit shift-tab to bring up the steam overlay one of the guides was "How to expel the Jews" with a loving swastika as the icon-- but maybe cleaning up the trash on the official forums that Paradox actually has control over would be a good place to start.

Oh yeah I think the real proper historical Nazis would never be able to abandon their hatred of the Jews, even if massive space demons were opening portals all over earth. By Nazis I mean dudes who are just extreme right wing, I'll imagine the discovery of vast alien empires would create some sort of human identity. Any far right groups that would have any realistic chance of ruling over a united human empire would need to be going on about human superiority instead of white superiority since right now roughly 15% - 20% of the planet is white and that figure will drop in time. The Imperium of Man is pretty close to Space Nazis imho.

Of course you'll always have retards going on about race superiority but if we ever do find 10 ft worm men who can nuke us from millions of miles away and launch invasions across the universe, the difference between human skin colour, human cultures and different human religions will plummet like a rock. No one will give any fucks about who comes from what country or culture anymore when we could end up enslaved or exterminated for looking at these Worm men wrong, or when they land on our planet and start bossing us around on our own turf. Or when they demand we, as a united species, bend the knee and serve them as underlings.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Probably some mod that has 500 different waffen SS division events while giving Germany insane technology boosts to " reflect history".

Also USA has always been my favorite to play in HoI, great to see them getting some awesome trees.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Obfuscation posted:

The dragons are easily the best part of that mod, someone should mod dragons to normal CK2 too.

There is that Targ invasion of Europe mod, if your interested.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

What does that do, replace the Aztecs in sunset invasion?

Nope, just adds Aegon and his sisters and instead of Westeros they just try to take Europe and forge the Iron Throne there instead. No DLCs or anything required.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Holy poo poo, it should be considered illegal to drop something as awesome as that and not give us any sort of release date.

This game is going to be loving amazing. I hope your reptilian tactic can be snuffed out by hicks or truthers guessing correctly.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Hopefully it's death star tier technology you can find early on or some poo poo. It's seriously great it won't just be boring tech trees this time around.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Surely it wouldn't be too hard to update it for the upcoming patch?? I reckon some friend of the maker or someone he trusts can simply update it quickly, I see no issue here.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

So I can totally be like Deathshead from Wolfenstein and create my own army of super soldiers, but in space? Sign me the gently caress up.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Yeah it'll be real lovely if we can't RP secret manics who want to transform their species into machines or mutants against their own will and then side with the rebellion.

It always felt crappy when revolutions would happen in Vic 2 and if you are pro rebels you simply sit there and let them seize your capital without any true fight. I want to fight the monster I have created in order to drastically change it.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Sindai posted:

Guys I just had a thought: can you imagine what it's going to be like when HoI4, Stellaris, and V3 are out and there are four or five Paradox games constantly previewing and releasing expansions?

No, it's a pretty long way away and Paradox has learned better.

I'll imagine CK2 is nearing it's very end and only has 2 or 3 more DLCs, I'm guessing EU4 will drastically slow down in DLC releases once HoI 4 is out, it'll be pretty hard to keep pumping out DLCs regularly for 4 or so games at once, if you want them to be any good anyway.

Also Stellaris is probably closer than people think, it was already in late alpha when it got annouced in August while HoI 4 got annouced waaaaaay too early and didn't start pumping out weekly DDs until later this year.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

God drat, that conclave DLC looks really good.

Also India does interact with the world in my games, the pope calls crusades on them after the Abbasids conquered southern France.

In all seriousness though, I know people dislike expanding the map by tons but I'm kinda hoping China is the final DLC because that would be cool as hell. It would also make India way more relevant.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

I think you'll need the ability to play opposing political parties and guerrilla forces with a proper guerrilla warfare system.

God drat such a game would own.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

:froggonk:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Hitler is nowhere near as sexy as Stalin. :colbert:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Tanreall posted:

Has there been any new news about espionage in HoI4? Everything I could find was from 2014 and that's probably going to be horribly outdated.

Cut from HOI4 entirely I believe.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

What's traditionally the HoI equivalent of Tutorial Island?

USA. Surrounded by low tier allies with zero chance of foreign invasion, INSANE amounts of resources, amazing navy right off the bat, most powerful industry by miles, massive manpower pool, great tech and so on. You do start with virtually no army/air force though, but that just means you can do whatever build you want since you very much have the means to do so.

USA is the most fun nation to play by miles imo.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can do some crazy ahistorical stuff in HoI4 but there's no real knock-on effects because the game is basically over once you do it. Like it's not a good game to ask the question "what would the world be like if Portugal re-absorbed Brazil?" because the only answer it's going to give you is "Portugal would have a larger manpower pool and more military factories".

This is bad enough on its own, but coming off the back of TNO it's simply comical. It would be cool if Portugal got bogged down in some bat poo poo insane South American conflict with tons of flavour and chances for the other powers to get involved and for South America not to be the most boring place on Earth in the game.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

ilitarist posted:

I had a single playthrough of HoI4 a few years after the release. I played as the Soviet Union. I didn't understand anything that happens and I turned most of Europe Communist by the end of the game. I'd think that this is a game about playing as someone apart from majors, but only the majors get any content, so I don't get it. Maybe people don't joke when they say it's a platform for mods.

When you look at the care and content Stellaris gets compared to HoI, it's pretty apparent that PDX likely doesn't have a clear direction or vision for the game, or at least one they aren't really passionate about. Not to mention that HoI gets considerably less content despite releasing like two weeks or so apart.

Right now, rather than focus trees or weird alt history poo poo that doesn't do anything, they need to focus on really fleshing out the scope and sense of scale of the conflict. WWII was unbelievable in size and the eastern front was basically the apocalypse in terms of carnage, yet you really don't get immersed in the war and everything just feels pretty low key really. Barbossa feels like it goes way too quickly, the war in the pacific is uh.. something? The North African front is laughably poo poo and no one knows what's going on at sea.

You guys can poo poo on HOI 3 all day, but it felt way more atmospheric and the sheer sense of scale was definitely much more realised, especially when you saw the eastern front. Whenever I boot up HOI4, I feel like those guys early on in WWI, thinking the war will be won by xmas because the Germans are stupid and everything will go pretty fast. But in HoI 3, warts and all, I feel like the war will be lasting some time and its best to get comfortable. Even though HoI 3 also often suffers from conflicts going way too fast or feeling crap, it at least it sold itself as a WWII game, which goes a long way tbh.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 27, 2021

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Asproigerosis posted:

best hoi4 mods? lookin for something like darkest hour

What do you like from DH? There's the literal DH mod coming out, but some people are a bit iffy on it the look of it so far. Road to 56 is usually well received and doesn't do anything crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Did they ever make Tropico harder? It was fun enough playing four, but even on hard it was sort of a cakewalk

They added multiplayer, competitive too. I don't think the single-player is any more challenging since 3, as far as I know anyway.