Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
The arguably most popular massive historical mod for EU4, Mayo and Texas, starts in 1356, and the main reason it is limited to absolute grogs is how the population stuff is awkwardly forced into EU4 interfaces. I think the start date tracks with EU5, and not a brand new overlapping game.

Also, Imperator is more fun than any of the "good" Paradox games right now. Do any of the haters actually play it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

ilitarist posted:

It's their best game mechanically (outside of some issues that feel underbaked) but it underdelivers in terms of feels. Countries are quite different because of their deities, available trade goods, population and geography, but it doesn't have EU4's stuff like events, missions, disaster, national ideas that screem into your face that you are playing as Dithmarschen right now.

That honestly why I like it, come to think of it. And why I would have liked to see it expanded more. There's not a lot of written records outside of Rome, the assorted Greeks, and India. So much more would come from focusing on making the gameplay be different as you switch from Rome to Gaul to German to Numidian to Sabaean.

The reason I've skipped most of the latest EU and HOI DLCs is because actual gameplay features seem second to yet another "if you choose to install the wacky monarchists who historically had 4 members, you may choose from three candidates, and if you pick Napoleon's uncle's second cousin's great-grand nephew, he decides you get to become pirates, which means you get missions to conquer and core the whole continent! So crazy!"

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

YF-23 posted:

game works amazingly to represent French feudalism and the further away from France you get the more inaccurate it becomes.

Except, here is why CK sucks so bad: it does not even do that. The only feudalism it has ever portrayed is Westerosi. And then rather than maybe flesh out the real, existent feudal regimes CK3 cannonballed into wacky Old Gods shenanigans. There is still no engaging way to interact with the Pope after two whole sequels, Muslims are equally boring, but by God, you sure can make Finnic paganism into a faith that has a blood-drinking Lady Pope, and gives you material bonuses each time you feed someone to her.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
It is more of a t-sound in Arabic which I think the original Ottomans would have been more into. الدولة لعتمانية

It is the Turks into their s-sound.

The original name the first Osman had was Uthman, like the Caliph of 600 years before.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 14, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

ilitarist posted:

I think the only names on Imperator map that are still there on the map are Egypt and Armenia. Unlike, say, EU4, where most modern countries are one step from being formed by somebody if not already there.

The density and detail of Imperator doesn't really work for most people. Total War games approach of making just a few playable factions with every one having some charged identity works better for a setting like this. I like how Fields of Glory Empires handles this: it is a much more abstracted than I:R and most of the map is filled with passive "independents", including even parts of Greece (Olympia is a free real estate), which sounds primitive but this also means that every single country present on the map has a unique description, traits, something.

Macedonia erasure.

I agree with other posters for real. Imperator should have taken a clue from Total War and started with Pyrrhus in Italy as the Byz challenge to Rome’s Ottomans.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 22, 2024