Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

EU4 is in a really great place right now, but I cannot comment on CK2.

Are there any LPs or threads or...I dunno, websites, I guess, that are good for teaching new players how to play EU4 in its current state?

I got it at launch, got overwhelmed, put it down, then recently bought all the major DLC up to but not including Cossacks in a steam sale (cossacks was the only one not on sale) and I'm kind of itching to play again but not without an idea of what I'm actually doing, because I don't want to get flustered and quit again.

I know that there are "let's learn how to play EU4" LPs but I have no sense of how out of date they might be since there have been so many expansions for the games. Or maybe the game itself has a tutorial that actually properly teaches you what you need to know to do well? I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

The EU4 thread here is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
The OP is not completely up to date but still has some useful info.

I'm not hip on any current LPs but I dont tend to watch videos of EU4 for anything. I think I see people suggest Arumba's videos because he explains what he is doing and why, even if he makes odd decisions at times, and someone else that I cant remember. The EU4 thread is full of super helpful people though so just pop in there and ask. I'm knowledgeable about the game but still ask for advice all the time and usually get a small flood of helpful posts.

Ah, thank you--didn't occur to me that there would be a separate EU4 thread from the paradox one (I only ever browse from my bookmarks these days). I'll take my questions there then!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DurosKlav posted:

I saw that HOI4 anime Hitler portrait so I'm positive its going to be a dating sim where the Japanese school girls also transform into tanks and fight battles.

I think Red Alert 3 already covered that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

I'll never forget how much of a shithead the Dev was when he was posting here. The fact that he got trolled off the forums and then ended development of Stardrive 1 when it is still buggy and broken as poo poo means I will never buy another one of that rear end in a top hat's games unless it is really good. And thankfully there are alternatives coming out this year so I wont be tempted to buy it.

Yeah, that was my "ok, no more buying things in Early Access" moment. I had big hopes for the game because the dude seemed pretty responsive at first, but then he disappeared and announced a sequel instead of fixing the game that he already made and nope I don't think I'll be buying that, thank you, even if it turns out to be the most perfect space 4x of all time. It's the principle :colbert:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Now I'm curious what wording of "refugees welcome" could possibly satisfy that man

"Tolerate Undesirables"?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

uPen posted:

Nobody actually plays with an unmodded hitler portrait... right?

I actually do feel legitimately uncomfortable playing as Germany in HOI because I hate seeing hitler's face every time I go into the politics screen, like "that's me, i'm Hitler"

I somehow never thought to look for mods

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lum_ posted:

I thought this mod was funny until I found out Nazis unironically worship Taylor Swift as an Aryan goddess figure.

(and yeah I usually play as the Soviets because killing Nazis is fun PLUS you can still be a bloodthirsty dictatorship bent on global domination)

Yeah for some reason being stalin and literally choosing to enact the great purge doesn't bother me at all, but looking at a picture of hitler gives me the heebie jeebies. It doesn't make much sense but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's a very fun nation to play from a gameplay perspective, being a plucky little militaristic upstart and seeing how much of the world you can conquer. You just have to uh, not think too hard about what your actions represent

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I had never heard of realpolitiks until today, in this thread, but it looks extremely my poo poo so thanks for posting about it even though it isn't a paradox game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Imagine four paradox franchises on the edge of a cliff