Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If she decides to go with HOI4, be sure to point out that while willingness to play as Germany is a personal choice, it probably wouldn't be appropriate for the stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Randarkman posted:

While I understand why Paradox choose to make losing to a rebellion to overthrow you a hard game over in Imperator, I kind of wish they'd put in something where after you have lost the game generates a save game, allowing you to drop back in an continue as any other country if you were so inclined (seeing how the world evolves has always been part of the fun of Paradox games for me) or it could pop up a message "you have been overthrown, game ove - continue as usurper/conqueror/save game/switch to observer/quit", or something like that, have it reset your score and disable ironman and achievements or whatever to give players some incentive to not give up to rebels.

If they were covering the imperial era, I feel like they'd almost have to put in something to let you continue after losing a civil war or something, just because the Roman Empire saw so many emperors getting killed and replaced by the other dudes. For the Republic it's not quite as jarring.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mans posted:

how can you prepare measures and technological advances to deal with diseases that you were never in contact with and won't be until your community is directly exposed it it?

This isn't developing gunpowder weapons while no one else had them, it's some tribal leader in the middle of Guatemala yelling about a devastating plague that will be carried over the seas by a new hostile people.

Yeah, honestly if you want to play on a map where the Americas' native people aren't wiped out by plague, and are therefore able to put up more of a fight when European invaders showed up, the best route is just an alt-history mod where they had more natural immunity/smallpox already existed in the Americas. Or just go full Sunset Invasion and make them more developed than the Old World.

Europeans didn't even accept germ theory until later, and while parts of India appear to have done some sort of innoculations using live smallpox virus hundreds of years before this game's time period, (which, as you'd expect, killed a lot of the people it was used on) the time necessary for any culture newly exposed to the virus to figure out what was causing the problem and then work on solutions was obviously far too long given the rapidity with which it spread throughout the continents.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

"I wouldn't wanna make a game for people who wanna replay that atrocity" seems like a really weird viewpoint when you're making a game about a war.

So as someone who presumably plays war games, do you think you're also the kind of player who'd like to place gas chambers on the map, or do you only not see the difference when it's the developers making the choice?

I think accidentally sanitizing history because you don't want to make a game where players deliberately re-enact the Holocaust is a reasonable trade-off, and a lot of the criticism about this is in bad faith. Maybe there's room for slight changes, but I for one think HoI not being Holocaust Simulator: the Game is a good idea.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

No I would not like that. I'm just saying that was a weird argument because you could say the same thing about making war games in general and the point at which it becomes disgusting is quite arbitrary.
Whatever though, I know that pointing out one tiny thing in podcat's post makes me a closeted nazi who wants nothing more than to jerk off over the Holocaust.

I was making the opposite point of saying you're a closeted Nazi. I was saying you not wanting to do that is a reasonable distinction to make even as someone who enjoys war games, just as Paradox not wanting to implement that is a reasonable distinction to make despite the fact that they make war games, and people suggesting they're closeted Nazis because of it are insane.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ulmont posted:

You were asked questions at startup to verify that you were an adult.
http://allowe.com/games/larry/tips-manuals/lsl3-age-quiz.html

Here's an example video from the original.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhp7nWZkMZQ

We need this but for playing the Byzantine Empire in EU4.

Question 1: You realize even the amount of power we've given this country at game start is unbelievably optimistic given the dire situation they found themselves in, correct?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Honestly I'm happy about CK3 partially straight up in the hopes that it won't be as overwhelming as CK2 with all the DLC and systems added over the years. I think the fear that everything's going to be taken away and then resold to you like it's The Sims is probably overblown though, and it seems like this is more refining the game so it's in a good place to be built upon again than stripping it of all the meat. I guess we'll all find out together though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Like Red Bones said, those ideas were all the default assumptions for most people before Civ too, even if there were some historians arguing otherwise. Civ didn't create people's popular misconceptions about history, it reflected them.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think France is a great starter country because your immediate goal is completely obvious, and by the time you're done clearing up your back yard you're well positioned to do just about anything you want.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think Roman/classical history is really cool and also that Paradox should and presumably will stay away from it for a long time after two failed attempts. I'd rather see them try something new (and prioritize other sequels like EU5) way more than I want to see them bang their heads against that wall again.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

It is genuinely funny that Imperator (and EU: Rome, I think) ends at the date of the creation of the Roman Empire. Its like ending Crusader Kings at 1096 - the most famous element of the period for which the game itself is named - is not present.

Tbf imperator was a title used during the republic too, and imperial Rome is a super boring setting until it's falling apart since they were so dominant. I guess you could do a 'be the one to topple the Roman Empire' thing, but Rome is clearly the selling point of any classical title, so an imperial setting where they've already won from day one isn't very interesting. I agree that it feels weird to leave it out, but maybe all of this just means the setting isn't as ripe for exploration as classical history nerds want to think it is.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Taiping Rebellion is in V2 though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lum_ posted:

Also, for everyone feeling superior about the horrible state of Chinese gaming regulation (and it really is horrible, arbitrary, protectionist, *and* corrupt) the Apple IOS app store is even worse.

Apple takes an *extremely* paternalistic view of games and has blocked some history sims from the app store for "depicting violence against real-world individuals". A Civil War wargame got blocked for this reason, and an education game on the Syrian civil war had to remove everything about Syria to get past Apple's censorship -- which of course made its useability as an educational tool pretty useless!

https://venturebeat.com/2013/03/21/endgame-syria-back-on-ios-app-store-with-new-name-and-no-references-to-real-places/

This is a big reason there are almost no decent GSGs/wargames on iOS. Some get through; the enforcement of the rules really depends on who's reviewing applications that day.

Good thing they're not the government!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jabor posted:

Pretty sure 95% of people never actually play the age of revolutions bit anyway.

I've played every game in the series and never have, so I'd be more than okay with them reducing the scope of the game.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just in case anyone's thinking about reading these books, you should know that Turtledove is way more of an interesting premise guy than a good or even decent writer. I read a ton of his stuff in my 20's when I'd read pretty much any garbage, but you're better off reading a summary or something unless you're truly desperate for something to kill time with. Worldwar aside, a lot of his alternate history stuff ends up just recreating a different historical event somewhere else.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Didn't ARA promise to do something similar to this? With the age progressions?

That looked more like Civ meets Anno to me.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

I thought it was Paradox policy to hard-stop at WW2 because they feel that everything Cold War till now was too recent and politically sensitive to touch?

Wait long enough (22 or 24 more years depending on whether you date its end in 1989 or 1991), and the Cold War will be as distant as the original HOI was from WW2. I guess it might still be more contentious though, since Cold War revisionism is a lot more acceptable than World War II revisionism.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mentioning a bunch of stuff that's about to happen makes me wonder if historical events are going to be coming back in some way to guide nations on their path a bit more.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm pretty excited about this project. 4 definitely started out a bit too similar to 3, and it doesn't seem like they're going to have that problem this time. That doesn't mean it'll necessarily be good, but it should at least be interesting.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think the whacky alt-history mission trees are both the best and worst part of HOI4, and it's all thanks to or the fault of All the Russias/Kaiserreich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

HOI2 was probably my favorite Paradox game ever, so I was pretty excited to get my hands on 3, but thought it was unplayable trash. 4 is a little silly, and is definitely getting long in the tooth, but even on its worst day it's never been in that category.