Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

France declared for some of NGF's African territory, and Austria who had sphered them comes to their aid. Austria then says "wow NGF are fighting a lot of people let's attack them!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Flagchat is the worst so good for them

feller
Jul 5, 2006

hecka buff for muscowy

feller
Jul 5, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is now the fourth time I've bought Paradox's games:

The first was from Gamersgate when I was first dipping my toes into digital distribution

The second was when I wanted to re-buy everything on Steam for my convenience

And then I moved out of my parents's house last year after getting married, and left my desktop there, but I didn't want to take my Steam account with it because my dad is using that computer now, so I bought the Europa engine games on GOG

And just now I bought the Paradox pack again as a daily deal for my second Steam account

Two more times and we get Victoria 3

feller
Jul 5, 2006

lamentable dustman posted:

Finally getting around to playing Vic2, played around a bit with Brazil and really liking it. Any good tutorials on the game? Trade and production never clicked. I got the idea of using focus and tax policy to create craftman and to implement full communism now to build factories but didn't get past that yet.

Check lparchive for kersch playing Brazil. It helped me a lot when I was learning

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a nice strategy guide for getting started in Victoria II? I played some about a year ago but I've already forgotten everything and need a primer.

The kersch lp on lparchive.org

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Given the shitshow that was stellaris discussion after ideologies got revealed, I hope victoria 3 has none at all.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

The key is to build nothing but arty/recon and use the mobilized troops as your only/main source of infantry. They take the highest casualties anyways, don't want your main pops getting mowed down on the front lines.

I'd rather have my sokotan soldier pops taking the casualties than my basque craftsmen or whatever

e: just talkin about the video game here

feller fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 4, 2017

feller
Jul 5, 2006

You had me until audience participation

feller
Jul 5, 2006

uPen posted:

It should have been a 19th century industrialization/colonization simulator.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fellblade posted:

Yet again goons are confused by seeing a face that isn't their own reflected in their monitor, "Why isn't he emoting like my favourite anime? Based on the expression he must be a serial killer".

:yikes:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Enjoy posted:

No that's a pretty dumb reason to dislike a game, if something important is happening in real life you should just quit the game

Nah

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Koramei posted:

It'd give you a free super-general for most of the campaign wouldn't it? Odds for death in battle are pretty low. Considering it's written into the trait explicitly to not do this, I think being punished for using your immortal god ruler as a general makes a lot of sense.

I'm not necessarily against it being changed either way (or made moddable at least, so you can have a truly immortal god-king/queen- making it so death even as a general is impossible would be cool too) but it seems like a really peculiar thing to get so irate about.

Who was irate?

Koramei posted:

people use those settings, dumbo. why are you so angry about this?

Cursing doesn't mean someone is angry.

This u mad schtick is pretty stupid.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Ah the lost art of using the word literally. Let's see a random example:
They were so bloodthirsty that I had to wave a white flag for them to end the war [in a multiplayer LAN game].
vs
They were so bloodthirsty that I had to literally wave a white flag for them to end the war.

The first statement you could take with multiple meanings, he could've referred to jumping up and down while waving his arms and yelling stop, or telling everyone that they concede. But in the second one there is no other way to interpret the statement, the writer had to, quite literally, wave a white flag for the jerks to stop vaporizing all his manpower.

Now let's look at an example of misusing the word:
you literally have to buy a 20 euro DLC to join an alliance if you are a minor power in HoI4

Why was the word literally used here? Nevermind the accuracy of the statement because who cares, was there anything wrong with just saying 'you have to buy a blah blah to bleh bleh bleh'? What was that man trying to say? Was he showing off his low level of education by being unable to use the correct words to show emphasis? Or did he for the sake of comedy harm his own argument by making it sound ridiculous? :thunk:

:goonsay:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

they releade full baked games, are literally crazy?

Stellaris was in no way full baked. Neither was hoi4 if I'm being honest but it was closer

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Panama Red posted:

How is Vic2 now with the two expansions? The time period is appealing to me but a lot of the negative reviews scared me off, but it's not clear to me how much of that was the usual reaction to a half-baked Paradox game at launch. It also looks rather ugly (not as ugly as HoI3, however). Am I better off just waiting for Vic3 and hoping it doesn't suck?

Vic2 is my favorite paradox game. It's not good, but it is great.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

YF-23 posted:

They do migrate, but not to *your* capital, but to the state capitals. Provinces are grouped up in states, and one province in each state acts as the state capital (so for instance if there's a New York state in the US, the province of New York City acts as the capital for that state). The soldier pops that are generated in the New York state will merge together in the New York City province. Or something to that effect.

Wait is NYC really the state capital instead of Albany in Vic2?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Crusader Kings: Rome

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Maybe you weirdos should make a game design thread or a cold war map game thread or just take this to a thread that has anything to do with what you're arguing about

feller
Jul 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Can't you adjust those settings in HOI4? I remember there's some kind of button that lets you tweak when you get notifications and for what things.

Yes you can turn most notifications off but often you still want some but don't them popping up when you're trying to time an attack without being able to pause.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I don't think I understand the reference, is it a joke about the Colin Farrell movie In Bruges?

Do you think they made up a city for that movie?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

We're going to get stellaris 2 before vicky 3 because there's no justice in this big dumb rock

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Gort posted:

Vicky 3 wouldn't be that different from Europa 4. Replace the market insanity with money from resources to make having an empire worthwhile, tie religion/race/politics to pops instead of provinces, ditch the "This regiment is from Cardiff" crap for the manpower system Europa already has, and you have most of the major mechanics in place.

That's a good reason for them not to make Vicky 3 if it's just "copy an existing game with a new aesthetic." This is an easy way to make Vicky 3 but it's not a good way.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

(((deep))) research expedition

Either you or I are confused about what the three parentheses mean. Can we get a judge's ruling please?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

:lol: guys, c'mon

They're never going to spontaneously announce a new major title on twitter. There will be media build up well in advance.

That tweet was the buildup. Duh!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

How does it send a signal that V3 is coming? This isn't even the first time this year that Victoia 2 has been on sale this year...

It's in morse

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Crazycryodude posted:

Conversely, HoI4 and Stellaris didn't....

I can't imagine ever expecting a 4X to be good so I won't comment on stellaris, but HOI4 was amazing compared to hoi3

feller
Jul 5, 2006

V for Vegas posted:

I was not aware of there being an AI in Paradox games.

HEH

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Or is the AI better at managing the tiles itself?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Ahahaha whaaaat? This is so loving bizarro. I may just go read those Dev Diaries for the laughs. This is good poo poo.

It’s really close to how eu4 forts work. They work really well you should go check that game out.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Can't exactly say that our buddies at Pdox have been slacking content wise

oh yeah? Well where is the dang hoi4 dlc then??

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Beamed posted:

Isn't that next week? Why would you play HoI4 instead of DH???

I was going to make a very biting quip but realized that I play Victoria 2 way too much to be credible, so consider yourself lucky.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Back when I played, that feature was "Go after their fleet, unless you find a DASTARDLY MINING STATION drat I HATE THEM THEN BLOW IT UP!" which has apparently been fixed.

It was, admittedly, always amusing to blow up fallen empire mining stations and salvaging their super tech that way, way before you should, but yeah.
I uhh, definitely feel this is one of those "just patch it in" things. Getting into EUIV, it's loving intolerable how random the placement of game mechanics is and how hodgepodge it all feels

At least CK2 doesn't have anything on that level; the only things I can think of are retinues and custom titles

I started playing eu4 before ck2 and felt the opposite way. I think you’re just being an old and grumpy grog

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I mean, the required DLC thing is a big issue with both EU4 and CK2. I can see it being a real annoyance for new players of either title.

Yeah sorry the implication was that I’m also an old and grumpy grog I just got distracted while typing.

I do think CK2 used to do DLC much better than EU4 ever has by locking regions instead of random QOL features/mechanics behind DLC. Not so much anymore though.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

:lol:
(Wester is the CEO of Paradox)

Seriously, though, I'm curious when we'll see the next product announcement from the internal studio. The gap between EUIV and Stellaris was 3 years, so I'm not holding my breath.

It was supposed to be like 2? years between EU4 and HOI4 they just ran into problems. We should be due for a victorome announcement any day now

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Are you saying I should kill myself?!? (joking) Or did I get whooshed when he asked that question?

I think he was saying he tried to head off the question but it didn't matter because someone still asked

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I am not getting my hopes up and you can’t make me

feller
Jul 5, 2006

They are so cruel with the teasing I hate them!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

Come on man, don't be an rear end. They've said time and again that many of them actually do like Vicky, and that they'll make it when someone at pdx actually comes up with a vision for what the game looks like. Their teasing is not at all malicious or mean spirited

No it’s actually the meanest thing and I’m crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Do you still feel human?

The betrayal I felt when Johann announced it would not be V3...