Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Never saw this show before, but I watched the two latest episodes with friends, and was a little stunned at the turn-around toward the end of the latest episode. Given that it seemed all goofy-wacky-hijinx, when Tandy fessed up about his lousy attempt to stage killing Pat was to keep the other group member from having to live with the guilt of having actually killed him , I was like 'drat'.

Is that the usual formula of the show? Goofiness with the ocasional serious moment peppered in? I'm willing to go back and start watching from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

What a bummer. I really liked Lewis, and it felt like he was just starting to gel with the group.

The newspapers were great. 'He made the front page two days in a row'.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

FrensaGeran posted:

I can't really tell what Carol sees in the photo at the end. I assume it's a person but I'm not sure.

It looked like a person in a gillie suit and Yoda mask, but it wasn't too clear. It could have been Pamela in her trash bag biohazard suit with a mask on.

I honestly wish a new male character would come around and actually stick around. Phil, Gordon, Mike, and Lewis all joined the group and then died off. I just realized that the survivor group is still just the original six. Maybe that's why the show seems like it spins its wheels sometimes. I get that shows have a core cast and all, but I'd like to see some deviation from what feels like 'back to status quo'

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Avalerion posted:

It's been only two years though I think?

I think it's been closer to three? IIRC, the Pamela episode had those title cards 'Year One' showing her goofing in the bunker leading to a portion of the third year spent in utter misery and isolation.

I'm guessing Cojawfee is suggesting maybe a kid that was 9/10 could have survived and is now 12/13, just living with all his toys and games alone in a shack.

E: I'm really not jazzed about the idea of a youngster joining the group, if Yoda there was indeed a kid or teen. I don't really know how they'd really mesh with the dynamic. Maybe, like, Tandy trying to take him other his wing seeing another lonely awkward kid, or Gail trying to look out for him given she lost a son before the outbreak.

Season finale is next week, right? I'm expecting some kind of gut-punch moment. Something like, Mark was actually still alive, found Lewis's note and shows up looking for him.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 27, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Unrelated, but whatever happened to the calf the group had?

I remember the mother died to exposure to Mike, but I remember Tandy feeding it when he got back from Tucson.

Did it die too and I just forgot?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

JazzFlight posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that Tandy and Carol are actually the only funny people on the show and the more we see them (at least not being intentional assholes), the better.

This last episode had some amusing Will Forte scenes and then a couple bland Todd ones interspersed. I just don't really find the supporting cast funny.

Carol is the worst for me. Her whole 'Gail is my mom now!' shtick just annoys me. I mean they did explain it, mother dead, baby on the way, but her butting around Todd and Gail was just ugh.

I didn't mind Tandy this week, at least his overdone antics were done due to trying to appeal to a (likely severely) traumatized kid. And I liked the little touch when he was bribing him at dinner 'And what do we say?' and Jasper signed 'thank you' in ASL. Wondering if Tandy drilled him on that off-screen.

But the past two episodes just seem to... I dunno, stall? Two episodes where they try to entice/appeal to the kid, and all of the other characters just seems like the episode just does a quick check on them 'yep they're still here!' At least Erica might actually have something to do now.

The show's on hiatus until the 23rd. Anybody know what's up with that? I don't think it's any playoff season or any awards shows coming up. Just general Fox scheduling fuckery?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Echo Chamber posted:

They have the tech, just not the training. They took a lot of medical equipment and technology from hospitals before.

Yeah, when Phil got sick, they had the ultrasound machine etc he had gotten as a surprise for Erica; the surgical tools/practice dummy were a kind of hurry scurry slap dash thing in a day or two. With the baby thing, not only have they not have had way more time to prep, but barring complications (a few eps back, I think Todd said every woman in his family needed a C-section) but childbirth is biologically a much more 'natural' procedure than your appendix blowing up, barring complications of course.

Am I the only one a little intrigued by the smooch between Erica and Gail at the start of the episode? I wasn't sure to read it as just a deep friendship that they've been through a lot together and that Gail's in charge of Erica's baby, or if it was implying something more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The one thing I thought was a little cute was that when they were evacuating, Todd took the time to vacuum up and label Lewis's ashes. But then I remembered the time skip, and realized everybody had just left his ashes to sit there for seven months :(.

And the part where Tandy came back with the washcloth, I said 'Oh God, he's gonna be in blackface' (I was like, one degree off).

Though I got through this season, I don't know if I got it in me to ever watch it again. I like the other characters, but I'm just getting too increasingly irritated by Tandy and Carol (even if their antics are the 'point' of this show).

• Locked thread