Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anoia posted:

Goons who bring up... who... hang on, I'm gonna need to make a flow chart.

It's not a complicated flowchart. It's like two boxes. One says underage, and the second is the word "NO".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

West Ham Sandwich posted:

It was just the last ring of AMP abilities, and most of them were buyable from rep vendors that, provided you quested to level, you'd already have the rep for. Some of them (in particular a spellslinger one) were pretty rare drops and as such cost a billion plat.

Trigger fingers.

I may reinstall just to gently caress around with my house. I'm an architect if anyone needs furniture.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

there were a shitload of ways, but one of the bigger ones, in terms of how many people abused it (including me) was you could buy iron ore from the market at a pretty low price, be an architect and spam metal plates or planks or whatever they were, and vendor them. Your 20 silver investment would turn into like 1.5g or something, and then you just reinvest and do it over and over, getting a bigger and bigger bankroll as you go. I got up to 30 gold or so from doing it sparingly, and at the time I believe Plexx was going for like 5-6g apiece?

That was an early method which was largely nixed by the time that plex even came on the scene. The method did bankroll me becoming a master architect before I hit level 30.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

a game from 2012

also imagine that there's fire spouting from the hands, feet, and back. I got some new armor pieces. Also there's a gourd on the hip because I needed to keep bringing the whole look together.

Anime.

I kinda like that you post this picture as something that should be looked up to.

"Now imagine it on fire"

No problem bud. No problem.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Commissar Budgie posted:

I liked Whitevale and Malgrave, but Wilderrun and Grimvault were both pretty humorless and same-y. Maybe it's just because I'm a sucker for Protostar poo poo.

Whitevale is where my leveling cratered hard, for some reason they had a large number of kill quests there that only gave you tiny increments on each kill. Felt grindy.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Hahaha, wow, the Wildstar community is still terrible. There's a thread on the forum where a guy is complaining that dying armor at max level takes 1-3 plat per slot on the armor, and asks for advice on how to get this crazy amount of money so he can dye his gear. The community response is Wildstar as heck:

3 plat isn't exactly hard to get. The game spits money at you once you've hit the elder gem cap for the week. Once you hit elder gem cap all exp gains turn into money gains.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Kimsemus posted:

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better -- it does.

From what I saw buying them ingame just directs you to an external browser. This may be a NCSoft problem not a Carbine one.

Carbine on the other hand should answer for making runes so retarded.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Cyster, seriously not threadshitting here, but find the person who redid the rune system and punch him/her in the throat. If it was you... well do it anyways. It's awful.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Is there really anything else worth playing? I tried everything except warrior and only stalker truly clicked to me.

Spellslinger clicked for me after I learned how SP worked/could be managed. Esper is basically a ranged rogue sans stealth in the way it builds/spends combo points. I couldn't get into Warrior/Medic at all though.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anoia posted:

Could be worse. Could be Crimson Blade.

Now, if one of you fuckers downloads Crimson Blade and tries to say it's not so bad....

Or any cryptic game which goons seem to eat up despite them being almost universally awful.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I don't know what scarlet blade is and I can't help but think I'd like to keep it that way.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Morglon posted:

Cryptic games at least have an identity, there's redeeming qualities going on. Dressing up your character is really fun and there are other good things in those poo poo piles somewhere. Star Trek was at least decent for a while before it went completely to poo poo and Champions had the potential to be pretty good even before they killed it. No excuse for Neverwinter though, that game has always been a grind with a broken economy and all their bullshit has spread to the other games and made them worse for it.

Also no making GBS threads on Secret World please, that game is really unique and does well to build a world you can get lost in, the big problem is it shouldn't have been an MMO.

I enjoyed the Secret World for its atmosphere. The actual game bits were pretty bad though.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

Japan is Japan their culture is handled in a mature way compared to ours.

Is mature now a codeword for half naked tween girl?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Unguided posted:

One thing's been bothering me, how broken are Wildstar pubbies compared to STO pubs?

45 minute zonechat about favorite ponies last night. But no vein loaded lady dongs. Depending on your tastes that could be better or worse.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

John Dyne posted:

I do love that if you don't have an attack in your first or second slot then you can't harvest farming nodes, though. I finished healing a dungeon and went to loot some bladevine and it shot my healing lasers at it which did nothing.

The automatic trade skill quests at level 10 give you a mining laser. I have no clue how you missed it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Libertine posted:

Is anyone playing max level on F2P now? I'm trying to figure out what the actual catch is. At endgame will I have to buy a bunch of space-coin-bucks to do some thing? So far I've not really been impeded at all, which is surprising having tried ArcheAge.

The catch is re-rolling runeslots. You can play rune roulette with in game currency which can get pricey, or you can buy service tokens from the in game store via either cash money or via the currency you earn in game just by doing stuff(Omnibits) and pick specifically what runeslots you want.

If I got a full set of raid gear in a week I'd be screwed for runing it with beneficial runes unless I had a ton of plat, a ton of omnibits, or I threw cash at the problem. At the reasonable rate I'm gearing up and earning omnibits it's really a non issue. Unless want to use those omnibits for cosmetic crap.

As a 50 coming back in full gear already I almost got a bit screwed by this change however, most secondary stats got dumped into runes, and what color runes did what were severely limited from what the old system used to be. This meant I had to reroll 95% of the runes on my gear in order to swing back to favorable stat territory because I needed air and fire almost exclusively in the new system, and I had a wild mixture.

The only fortunate thing is I'm gearing up so quickly from dungeons (Holy poo poo they fixed itemization guys! It's actually worth running dungeons for loot!) that it wasn't actually WORTH fixing my runes aside from the few dungeon quality items I already had. Basically if you are an old 50 coming back: Don't bother loving with runes for anything under ilvl 80. It will be replaced in a few days of dungeons, and you can be saving the omnibits you earn during this period for runing poo poo that's actually worth the effort.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 12, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
No, and attunement is only 4 steps now.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Besesoth posted:

I think 4:1 is optimistic. It's more like 9:1. This is one of the few games where the public community is overwhelmingly less toxic than the goon community.

Really the only thing that's missing now imo is difficulty settings on dungeons and raids to make things "Right" or at least close enough to "Right" to be enjoyable.

For all content there should really be three settings (Save maybe adventures which are already Tourist mode): Tourist mode, Dad mode, and lives off hotpockets/shits in sock mode. Call it Normal, Veteran and HARDCORE for all I care.

I'm definitely a Dad mode player. I don't want to raid more than 6 hours a week, maybe two sessions, I want it to be hard enough to be fun, but not dickslammingly hard. The 6 hours of raiding a night needed to progress in this game just doesn't conjure images of fun to me. It starts to sound like another job. I won't do it. And I'd wager 95% of the player base won't either.

This means content that post release eats up a disproportionately large amount of development time is only being seen by a few players. And since I'll never see it, and most other new content is Just Another Daily Zone, this game has a limited shelf life for players like me who only have so much patience for collecting bear asses on a daily rota.

The other problem is dailies themselves ofc. Dailies are almost universally awful, and the method which they were implemented in wildstar especially bad. What they should do is give you the option of selecting a daily zone, and that single zone give you the rewards as if you had done all 4, provided you do say a related vet adventure at the end. Maybe a daily quest that lets you select your daily zone and locks you out of the others?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Im actually playing the game and people defending the game as "runs fine" are the funniest, and dumbest, cheerleaders in the chat.

This is absolutely a fair criticism, it should run better than it does (Also install one of the custom UI's from curse and it will run a fair bit better). On the upside I'm getting 30FPS in the dogpiled town of thayd when it used to run at sub 15 fps there, and my house which is loaded with poo poo gets me 60, this is on a Nvidia 660Ti.

Also holy poo poo the devs are listening:

quote:

Hey all,

I just wanted to pop in and give a quick update. We have heard your feedback and we plan to make the following adjustments soon.

· Removing Runes through the “Destroy” button will no longer cost gold.

· Gold cost for re-rolling runes will be reduced at all levels and rarities.

· We are adding a method to extract runes from an item with gold. (This will go to PTR before going to Live)

· Adjustments to repair costs to smooth it out and lessen the burden throughout the gear progression, particularly at the Vet Dungeon to Genetic Archive range.

· Lowering the cost to use common, uncommon, and rare dyes.

· Adjustments to Rune Fragment drop rates to increase the acquisition rates.

· Addition of a vendor that allows the trade-in of lower tier Rune Fragments to gain higher tier Rune Fragments. (This will go to PTR before going to Live)

Thanks again everyone for your feedback!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

VoLaTiLe posted:

So did they actually add anything to this game.

I mean I know they added a protostar dungeon, but like have they actually added new content.

They apparently had a "years" worth ready to release every month so they must have plenty of content ready to dish out :rolleyes:

If you last played at launch/beta there are four zones in the game that weren't in game then. 3 of them kinda big and the 4th a really small hub.

One new dungeon, one new adventure, and I think a new raid?

All in all not bad for a year. But also not super polished.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Even playing in the off hours the server lag spikes get pretty horrendous.

Between the poorly programmed engine, crap ui, and the server issues, I don't think Wildstar can even support the amount of players it would need to be a success.

It just feels like the skeleton is too poorly made to use it for a large MMO.

During primetime the low level exile zones went from fine to rapidly borderline unplayable. Fortunately I have a level 50 that I could swap over too and Thayd, despite being super packed standing room only in some areas had next to no lag whatsoever. They really need to bolster the poo poo out of those new player zones, they have synching/instancing tech that allows you to be in different instances of the same zone, they need to spin up some servers.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Its Wildstar, we should all be able to drop a casual "human being" without having thin skinned cupcakes get offended.

I'm a big fan of out of context faggots.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

John Dyne posted:

Some people are unable to distinguish and separate comments about something they like from themselves; they make it a part of their identity and they make it very personal. It's why you get people who will poo poo their pants if you insult or speak critically of poo poo like Firefly or the Packers. It's a weird thing but it's pretty common and what sets them off runs the gamut.

Especially when you have crazy bugs that have lasted this long and all they can do is say 'WELL CODE YOUR OWN loving GAME'

It's loving dumb. Criticism is important in every endeavor, and it doesn't take a master of any craft to recognize if something is bad. I don't need to be a master chef to realize that a pie crust filled with the finest rat droppings isn't going to taste like delicious apple pie, and yelling at me to go to culinary school if I want to critique it is stupid. Then I'd just be a chef, and the pie would still taste like rat poo poo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
fyi if there are any space jam refuges/exile side goons on the pve server I have a guild I can get you into. It's not a "Goon Guild" because I doubt we'd get anything more than 10ish goons.

But it is a small/growing smallish group that seems fairly knowledgeable and is actively doing content (Dungeons atm).

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My buddy is still trying to get me to play this. He actually used the word "enthralled" to describe his feelings towards it. He's said the group he's playing with enjoys it even more than him. Has my friend been seduced by a cult? I'm starting to get worried :ohdear:

It's a legitimately fun game with "Issues". Most of the goon dogpiling is due to the statements of one or two devs that really shouldn't have been given soapboxes to stand on, and those particular devs are currently eating crow by the bucketload. By and large the biggest pet gripes I have about the game have been dealt with.

1. Attunement is only 4 steps now (And only 3 to get into the first raid, the 4th step is to be attuned to everything), and those steps aren't dickgrindingly awful, and are actually in line with "Stuff you should be doing just to get pre-raid gear). I'm working my way through it now at a casual pace which just wasn't possible in release. In release you had to treat attunement like it itself was a progression raid.

2. Itemization while not to my tastes, is still 90% better than it was. The only reason to run dungeons in live was to get attuned: There was no other reward besides a repair bill. Now dungeon gear is pretty much required for pre raid, it's ilvl is higher than the starter 50 crafted sets we were all wearing prior.

The biggest issues left over are:

1. Lag, they weren't expecting the response I got I don't think. The servers (At least the PVE servers) are jam packed, but as of last night at least they seem to have gotten a handle on it. I don't consider one great night out of a few spotty ones (Not bad enough to stop me from beating dungeons, but bad enough to be an inconvenience) a trend however. We'll see.

2. Availability of certain "Must have" things. You must have runed gear to do well in dungeons, yet they are miserly with runedrops, even with the contracts system and me picking rune rewards for everything I still only got a single runefragment yesterday that I need to just build one rune (I still need 6 more). I could sink every single plat I have into fixing up my runes to be "Correct" and still only be about a quarter done. In theory todays patch helps with that. We'll see.

3. Healing focus return really needs to be looked at, at least for spellslinger, and this is fed into with the rune issue. As it stands now I need runefragments that really only drop in vet dungeons in order to build the runesets I need to heal vet dungeons effectively without wiping. This is circular as gently caress. Prior to F2P at release I was healing vet dungeons just fine in gear that wasn't as good as what I have now. As it stands I'm dumping tons of focus recovery runes into my gear because I can go OOM in roughly no time flat the way it stands now. My DPS feels better than ever now that I'm runed halfway properly. My healing feels like it took a major hit on the other hand, I don't like that.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

John Dyne posted:

Yeah focus is weird for spellslingers especially, and I realized the reason I always ran out of focus was I was using the spellpower mode with wanton abandon, and each cast under that causes a focus drain which means it takes X amount of focus, and then drains an additional Y over so many seconds.

Since I stopped using that I haven't had as many problems, but I'm also not as far along as you, Rhy; I dunno if that's your problem but it's a good thing to note for people wanting to heal as a slinger. :v:

It basically boils down to runes being my major issue, and I need to ditch torrent because it just costs too much to cast. This sucks because it was my major "Oh poo poo/That dumb motherfucker is across the room" heal and I spent hours getting good at sniping folks with it.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 15, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bombogenesis posted:

Any word on if tank warriors are still just plain worse than the other tanks? Because I honestly almost liked it but spamming one attack forever gets old.

They are the top tanks atm.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Is it actually true that the game's 'addons' that it comes with will crash?

"Kind of"

If there's a beyond the pale lag spike that lasts for like 20 seconds I've had the default carbine auction house crash. Day to day normal play I've not seen one crash since launch.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I have to say, the amount of trolling this game provides, through PVP and zone chat is amazing. I'm glad I chose anita sarkesian and zoe quinn to name my characters. Any other suggestions to keep the trolling going?

Ah poo poo I wish I had picked those names.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

John Dyne posted:

At least we're not attracting the FF14 defense squad. :v:

Final fantasy is a terrible game and after playing it you can kinda see how an entire nation of people can be like "ally with hitler, sounds good."

(Derek smart derek smart derek smart)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Harrow posted:

I started out as optimistic about them but then I saw videos of it and, eh... I really just don't see any reason to do it. I'm optimistic that the open-world stuff in the expansion will be good, and I like the new elite subclasses, but they're making a ton of questionable decisions with this expansion. But, I mean, they're ArenaNet, so that was always going to be the case.

And yeah, the squad UI was broken as hell during the beta weekend.

The problem with ditching the trinity is ultimately you have to replace it with something. GW2 didn't bother which is why all of it's group content outside of pvp is't really something you enjoy, so much as something you suffer through.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
My problem with the GW2 model is the "Things to do" post max level are all grindy miserable trains of awful poo poo i.e. building the super awesome special effect weapons.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LordSaturn posted:

Thing is, a role-less game (Champions Online, Guild Wars 2) is super-nice for solo gameplay. Having to deal with your role's weaknesses while alone is complete balls and reduces the number of players willing to play that role.

But as long as the endgame is group content, well, team play requires established roles...

Most modern rolebased MMO's give most classes dual roles so you can level as DPS. Unironically the one thing I think Wildstar did well was do away with pure DPS classes. That poo poo needed to go.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Happy Fun Gamer posted:

I was one of the people who preordered this game due to how much I liked the ideas behind it. Home building, likeable characters, and skill-centric PVP.

The home building was buggy and required constant maintenance or things 'expired', per character. The characters shown off in the trailers were nowhere to be found and instead I had an obnoxious narrator shouting about cupcakes. And the pvp was a complete mess. You could never tell what was going on, the UI would keep popping up errors, and it was just spammy.

But I think what really turned me off on the game was the quests. It was just a bombardment of random 'go here kill x' or 'collect x', and it's like they felt they needed to obscure that fact by giving you like 9 of them at once.

I didn't even make it to the end-game people are talking about where there were attunements and 40 man raiding and junk, I think I quit at like level 25 feeling incredibly disappointed with my investment.

And it really sounds like the only thing that has significantly changed is the vanilla raiding aspects - which was a drop in the bucket of terrible things. I recommend people not play this game even though it's free now. It's not worth your time.

What the gently caress are you even talking about? Literally nothing you posted about housing is true. The only plugs you had to maintain was resource nodes and lol if you weren't making far more money from the nodes than their renew costs were. My house was in the exact same state it was when I left over a year ago, I had to pay like a few gold to turn my mining node back on.

Questing was standard MMO questing though which is kinda "Meh" when you compare it to say SWG's story quests.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mizuti posted:

I can understand the reason for delaying the holiday content. Wildstar got into trouble early on in its life by patching too often and generating piles of bugs. Forcing the holidays through that year would have surely caused even more problems at that point.

But man, literally canceling Christmas is a nightmare for PR, especially for a game that was already struggling.

Wildstar got into trouble for patching too often AND too infrequently. Basically they were letting major bugfixes sit until the next drop. poo poo that any other devteam would hotfix. This meant if your class was semi broken because of some bug, you get to wait it out.

Lant posted:

From everything I remember it's like this until 50, when suddenly it becomes the exact opposite and everyone starts one shoting each other and becomes a different kind of unfun time.

It's still AOE fests at 50, the difference being the other team will eventually figure out who the healers are and you'll get 50 cones of fire directly on healer face then your team gets shredded.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 19, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Donnerberg posted:

Yesterday's date was in a movie. So creatively bankrupt people put poo poo from that movie in everything.

Everything I saw yesterday was inundated with back to the future stuff.

EDIT: Outside of wildstar too.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Like I said: This poo poo was all over the place.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Oh hey its Kelp. I have a non goon guild that's working towards end game stuff I can get you into. Space Jam is dead.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

RottenK posted:

Steven Universe is manchild-pandering trash and you are a moron for liking it.

I feel a bit strange for completely ignoring whatever cartoon goons are latched onto this week. Adventure time? Never watched it. Steven Universe? Don't even know what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

No matter how bad Wildstar's hardcore fans might be, they'll never be as loving bad as FFXIV 1.0 defenders. 1.0 is still far and away the worst MMO and game I've ever played and I played FFXI.

Wildstar is an OK game, and I enjoy it's mechanics than I do WoW. It sure as hell isn't the second coming however and the company that makes it is ultimately going to be it's downfall.

But it's still objectively better than most of the early MMO's I played and worshiped (Think UO/AC), and I'd say it's about on par with all other contemporary MMO's in quality that aren't WoW/FF14.

Free to play seems fairly popular and I'd be interested to see how things shake out. I honestly hope they succeed provided they are clever enough to modify their way of doing things (Which seems to be happening, albeit at a glacial pace). I'm not invested in this company failing like some goons are. I hope star citizen works out too, though I'm far from crazy enough to throw money at people who don't even have a base functional game available.

Also Cyster: I'm the goon that IM'd your wildstarguy a few days ago saying "Goons don't play this game." :v:

• Locked thread