Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Rhymenoserous posted:

?

Housing had significant improvements post F2P, they added about 1000 "Raw building block" style things that let people build a bit more freely, along with terrain objects so people could build hills and mountains and the like. They also increased the object caps, and the plot size by about 33%. If you take a look at some of the Pre F2P "Best houses" and compared them to post, the stuff we had at release ends up looking kinda pathetic.

Oh, huh. I'm going off what I see off social media and people are still complaining you can't do enough with housing.

Though I guess if you never left your plot in an effort to build your own experience, you'd long for pie in the sky improvements, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

as opposed to wildstar,

Maybe they're reluctant to make this the 10th game they've shuttered, lest they get some kind of bad reputation :haw:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

They had no clue how to balance classes in WHO, so PVP was always a roller coaster ride where your preferred class would dominate, then get nerfed into oblivion, and then improve by sheer virtue of some other class getting hamstrung. The back and forth was almost comical.

Also comical was WoW IMMEDIATELY stole the achievement log from them.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

CoX was the first game to have a modern achievement system that I know of. Not that I've played every MMO or anything.

e: meant to say first MMO.

It's possible WoW was already working on it inspired by CoX and then lifted the achievement book design wholesale from WHO. I remember popping back one day and being astounded at how similar it was.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

WAR was also a great example of why non-WOW games shouldn't divide the players into two non-interacting factions at all. I'm not sure any MMO has ever had its population crater that hard that fast, and if you didn't have enough people from both factions to PVP on your server the game was virtually unplayable.

Allods online, a Russian WoW clone that I find charming in principle because it's WoW meets Soviet Russia, complete with red stars on armor, crashed and burned amazingly fast. It also had an extreme player bias towards the Alliance/Workers Revolution faction from day one.

But the main reason it tanked so hard is they launched with an absolutely absurd F2P model that required you to drop :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: to make the basic free play stop outright loving with you. There were harsh penalties for dying you had to pay real money (for tokens) to remove, for one thing.

They overhauled the system to be less overtly antagonistic towards players, even added paid servers, but by then it was too late. There's a core player base that's so small they just huddle in one mega guild, and PVP is all but nonexistent due to the lack of the other faction.

It's a shame. For the most blatant WoW ripoff second to Order & Chaos, the art style and music were pretty (well, ARE... It's still surviving off dedicated whales) neat.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Don't worry, the next big thing is on the way! The answer to how much he's paying, of course, is nothing... but you'll make tons when the game takes off and kills WoW.

The "I don't read trade" addition to his C&P pitch was because Trade chat was actually helpful for once and told him all about the harsh reality of MMO development.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Shortly before I quit they changed the currency icons to be more distinctive (but it looked like a hell of a rush job with bad transparency and everything). I don't know if they made it look any better since then, but it wasn't just you. Who knows how many other people filed tickets and got nothing before they did that.

The last straw for me was around three months in, at level 25 (it took me a while to settle on a class ok) in the second goddamn snow zone.

I saw a resource node, detoured over to it, and was just a few paces away when a bot teleported in my face and stripped the mine, leaving one tap left on it. They harvested and zipped away so fast it was cartoonish.

And then everywhere I went if I found a node there was just one tap left on it, making my mining laser let out a sad little fart as a single piece of whatever popped out.

So crafting poo poo to make my lot nicer was suddenly out, unless I wanted to buy materials from those very botters.

Carbine's official response: *shrug*

A fan made their own addon to report bots, like every other addon that provided basic functionality Carbine couldn't, but it was too little too late. Somehow the enthusiasm in the thread, not even the botting, was what did it for me. Somebody said something like "come on guys, we can beat these botters, let's all help Carbine out!" :sun:

Bless those poor devoted fools. I know they're still out there, rocking back and forth as they mutter about the server statistics and the quarterly reports not showing the REAL numbers.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

Just look at the subreddit.

quote:

CKJester• 8h
Not pay to win at all. Though I feel I should be compensated for having to play it. Fixing bugs daily and doing massive balance testing every time there's an update or ptr release.

The Atlas of WildStar

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

You mean the Fifth Element? Or Blade Runner?

Exciting opportunities await for you OFF WORLD.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

For a planet full of ancient mysteries, finding out what those mysteries were was really drat disappointing.

It's pretty much just SciFi WoW Titans did it. :geno:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Valatar posted:

Too many game support policies are stupid in this manner. If you're taking someone's $15/month and they hit an issue that takes away their spacebux and they're pissed off, give them the spacebux it's fake just give it to them you idiots so they keep paying you real money. Don't risk losing a customer over whatever stupid in-game item they lost/bought/sold/etc, just give it to them and continue cashing their checks.

WildStar's code is spaghetti and I'm guessing lot of the people who can make complete sense of it are gone. How it holds together at all is beyond me, given how poorly it does on new machines.

But to give you an idea of why it's not so easy... goons had Space Jam reserved from the moment that ill conceived feature was go (and was shut down after about 2 days due to it loving up)

When launch happened the game didn't recognize the person who reserved it as the holder. Filed a ticket, response was "Um... make a guild with a placeholder name, wait for the reservation to expire in a month, and we'll change it."

A month passes, ticket is filed to get the name. "Um... You're gonna need to just make a new guild with the desired name."

You'd think renaming a guild would be the most basic thing. Just act like it's something offensive and boom, but no.

Or maybe the GMs at the time had no idea how the buttons worked. Hell, maybe their interface was as bad as the standard user one. Or worse.

And that's WildStar!

Sidenote: every time I even think about trying this again, petitioning customer support to get my defunct security key removed gets me run round in circles with C&P responses until I give up. For once I'm thankful for lovely CS.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

What's more, they turned the "lifetime bans" for people caught exploiting the bug into temporary bans, probably because so many people did it. They also only confiscated the currency they made off it, not any items bought using duped currency.

There was seriously a "you better fess up and your punishment will be less severe" post about it, which strikes me as meaning they didn't have the capability to investigate it like any other MMO would.

So if they couldn't even reliably trace the duped stuff, a rollback sounds even more unlikely.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

Best to just leave it, but there's a button that does it once it verifies e-mail.

They actually made it easier? That's something, I guess.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

randombattle posted:

They could format them and put city of heroes back up and make more money at the rate Wildstar is going.

A happier ending.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Regarding the inability to clip out of bounds, no matter how hard you try: this is probably mostly thanks to a dude I know from WoW whose hobby is breaking game maps. He's one of those people who got into inaccessible parts of the vanilla WoW maps just by very careful jumping.

He got into the Wildstar alpha and spent his entire time testing as an explorer trying to go places he shouldn't, and since he's freakishly adept at pixel perfect jumping and spotting unintentional footholds, he was filing tons of stuck/out of bounds reports from day one.

Eventually the devs started stealth following him, just like they did with the raid tweaking (only this time they actually gave a heads up) and made note of/invisible walled off all the problem areas he found.

He quit the game at launch because he said exploring was no longer fun. :v:

So that's one of the things they actually made a concerted effort to fix through testing, while things like warrior rage generation remained bugged through launch.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

And here I thought the dude who ruined his life spending 25k on Fly for Free items (he mostly handed poo poo out to get people to like him iirc) was the worst.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"We've been thinking a lot about meaningful and rewarding progression."

Like hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

The Realm Online is TECHNICALLY running, but nobody knows who's got control of the servers anymore. The people who bought it had a falling out and now if you enter credit card info to subscribe there's no way to go back and change/delete it.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/its-a-mystery-whos-running-one-of-the-oldest-multiplayer-online-fantasy-games.amp

• Locked thread