Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I forgot Widstar has an RP community. Where the gently caress do they even meet? What do they RP about? I mean what the hell, I gotta know more about these guys. They sound amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Anoia posted:

Uh... The bar by the DDR pads in the exile city and then there a bunch of housing plots that are designated hang outs.

Oh right, I should've thought of the fact they'd have specific housing for it. Duh.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Rhymenoserous posted:

I joined the Goon guild Gold Knuckles based on Moon Guard. My off raid time hobby was to find the worst of the worst MRP profiles and start reading them mid raid to see if I could cause a wipe.

I contributed to the old WoW articles Abe used to do by gathering the worst loving FlagRSPs I could find. :downs:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
yeah one dude making sick burns like 'DUMB GOONS' and 'LOSER DORKS' makes a thread the thread for making fun of a game

Snatch Duster posted:

why not make a new thread, or better yet quit posting

Anoia posted:

Real talk, I appreciate these little trip reports. I'll probably come mess around when I run out of things to do in... the game I won't bother mentioning lest I invoke something again.

Same. I haven't had much time to play it lately due to work and other poo poo like Vermintide, but with everyone I know vanishing into Fallout I might have more time to run around in Wildstar and get through whatever zone I was last in.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Snatch Duster posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Wildstar will be shutdown within a year [IGN] [NEWS] [56k no way!]

Oh a thread title making fun of the game in question, I wonder if anyone else does that, hm

Star Wars: TOR - Knights of the Fallen Empire. An MMO you can play alone!
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - Unlimited Grinding Simulator
APB: Reloaded - The highs are very high and the lows are very frequent

quote:

The entire point of the thread is making fun of wildstar lol you loving dummy

The OP has zero content about the game, and its last 20+ pages is mocking the game loving lol

Past 7+ pages have been people discussing the game, it kinda stopped being a 'lol wildstar' circlejerk near the end of the last thread

I mean go ahead and make fun of it if you can be funny but at least bring your A game rather than no-effort 'LOL NERDS'

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Wheeee posted:

Hi,

Is this good now?

tia

It's not as bad as it was, but I'd say it's hovering between good and mediocre, depending on your tastes. It's pretty much your standard theme park and action MMO so if you enjoy either of those, get on it. The community has some major idiots in it but the developers and community managers seem to have taken a sharp turn for the better, and the combat is pretty fun; I can't remember if TERA felt like it controlled better or not but it does feel like it handles better than Neverwinter, at least.

Though since there's a WAR private server that's active enough to have fast scenario queues and mostly functional public quests, I don't know that I'm gonna pay much attention to Wildstar.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

that just means he has lovely taste in games, not that goons don't make jokes in every thread title in this entire subforum.

I just looked at the first page of the MMO HMO and those were the first three that I saw that I knew were active MMOs. I didn't think the CoX thread counted and I didn't dig too much into it, but yeah, thread titles have jokes, film at 11.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 21, 2015

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Okay, yeah, that's what I was getting at but I couldn't remember how TERA did things. TERA felt a lot stiffer because of that, but Wildstar, your rear end is zipping around shooting laser beams and swinging a huge sword at mach 5. It felt a lot more loose.

Neverwinter kinda sat in the middle of that where, if I recall. I didn't play TERA much since the friends I joined ended up not sticking with it for very long, but Wildstar does feel more arcade-like than Neverwinter and TERA.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Trying so hard not to offend anyone about anything. 'This is not a hate post! Don't get me wrong, I love everything, but everything needs to improve. NO OFFENSE'

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I think it's down to something stupidly simple like just four steps. Get 50, get silver or something less insane on a few dungeons, get the gems, kill a world boss.

Instead of the loving 13 step program they had before.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I love when people scream "FIRST AMENDMENT" as a way of bitching that their posts on a privately owned forum are being removed.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

noELrunes posted:

This is the end for a whole genre to me. In my opinion WildStar is by far the best themepark mmo released after WoW. It has the best and most challenging pve content in decades. It has one of the best combat systems which is action/skill based and there is a ton of highly polished content. Its in my opinion the best F2P game on the market and should never ever face all these population / revenue problems. Instead it should have a healthy 6-7 digit playerbase. After WoW transforming into everything i hate about today's themeparks (starting with WotlK), wildstar is basically exactly what i always hoped and dreamed for wow to come back to. So in that sense, wildstar is some sort of WoW 2.0 and the best thing in years to me, and to a lot of other guys (especially older players that loved vanilla/tbc in wow and are now raiding in wildstar)
If Wildstar fails (again) and finally gets shotdown, it will mark the end of themepark mmo's for me. The shift in player mentality towards dumbed down, short session content full of conveniences is not the type of game i fell in love with so many years ago. So all good things have to end sometime and for me its the moment when wildstar shuts down its servers. There is no point in jumping on the next hype train for another theme park (especially a pve focused one), since the genre and its current playerbase has proven that there is little to no demand for the type of game i want and love.

I knew this was a quote but lol

I've played MMOs since loving EverQuest and I remember raiding in that piece of poo poo game, and WoW was an improvement but still absolute dogshit in terms of being fun and engaging content. I sincerely wonder what this guy does for a living cause I work 40 hours a week and even if I wanted to waste my time raiding nightly for hours on end I couldn't pull it off.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Thunderbro posted:

already bought hte $15k pack, I'm so excited for the hardcore space raiding in the pre-pre-alpha

"dude taunt the quasar off me TAUNT THE QUASAR OFF ME gently caress GET THE FUCKIN BLACK DWARF ADDS gently caress" - a literal twelve year old raid leader

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

The Chairman posted:

The latest earnings forecast for NCsoft is out, and it's looking like the thread title is correct

lmao I went back to look at this so I could link it to a friend and I just noticed their Q4 2016 forecast for Wildstar is a big fat goose egg. I was so focused on the tiny numbers I didn't even register that NCSoft doesn't expect the game to make them any money.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

noELrunes posted:

But im sure the Chinese and steam release will save Wildstar.

Aren't there crazy idiots who love Wildstar who absolutely LOATHE the idea of a Steam release for the game for some disjointed reason? I remember it either coming up in this thread or the last one.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Rhymenoserous posted:

I hope it works out. I'm still playing just because I enjoy the raid content. But I literally log in only to raid. That makes me a poor customer, and I certainly wouldn't cater future content towards people like me. The key is to get the like it or not "Bad" players involved in your content.

If only WoW thought this way, because that is exactly what they've been doing. The sad part is that means OTHER companies are gonna do the same and go 'OOH OOH BLIZZARD IS DOING IT, WE SHOULD TOO'

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
More of just catering to the raiding crowd in general. It doesn't seem to be pleasing anyone, and has been about the only content they've been producing. WoD has been lackluster since it's had only three raids total and no new dungeons beyond launch in its lifespan; the dungeons were made pointless incredibly quick thanks to LFR, and the fact you needed to do the stupid role trials to get into heroics but NOT into LFR, standard raids, or even mythic dungeons.

There's pretty well gently caress all to do in WoW beyond raid, run old content, and roleplay once you hit max level. You can PvP but WoW's never PvP has really been that fun to me.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

No, there's definitely catering to the hardcore crowd. The casual players haven't gotten anything much different from MoP. In WoD:

I didn't know most of this, to be honest; I lost interest in raiding in general before even Cataclysm, when I started having less time to devote to being able to kill ice giants and all that. It's felt like they're catering more to the super casual crowd and the raiding crowd at the same time, with people being able to do poo poo like the garrison missions and handling a farm and all that other junk to have something 'productive' to do with the ten minutes they get to play the game.

But the content on both ends is incredibly shallow. You have three raids and three or four raid difficulties and the main difference is how much damage the enemies do, with some bosses being changed to be so ridiculously easy in LFR that you have to be an idiot to die to them. I'm looking at you, Kargath.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Oh for sure, I'm not arguing that it isn't shallow as poo poo, it is and I really, really don't like WoD. It's my least favorite expansion by far.

Same. I'm leery of Legion because WoD was supposed to be them learning from the mistakes of MoP, so them going 'oh no we totally learned from our mistakes this time' makes me kind of suspicious.

I was unsubbed for the longest time but my wife resubbed me so she could have a tank or someone to run one of her alts through a low level dungeon, so now I only ever get on if she needs me to hit things.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
e: ^^ This is 100% true. I was the main tank for my raid group. I saw all the content and then had to re-do it to the point where it was muscle memory and there was nothing really interesting or challenging about it.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'd argue that if you have to set your "Video Game Schedule" it's no longer casual. I mean granted this is a thing I do, but I don't kid myself that it's something everyone has time to do. There have been periods in my life where planning anything ahead of the next hour is pretty much impossible.

Yeah I agree with this. LFR's casual as gently caress because you just log in and queue and gently caress around a bit until you get in it. Normal and higher tend to be a bit less casual, if not specifically 'hardcore' since it requires you to actually plan time in your life to do something inane like beating up a giant orc.

For me, 'I don't have time for this' wasn't a 'OH MY GOD MY LIFE IS SO BUSY I CAN'T FIND TIME FOR THIS' thing but 'ugh why am I doing this, this is a waste of my time, I could be doing literally anything else.'

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

shwag posted:

Every time someone uses this to tell ppl it's just the same I shake my head , 3 hours of TV and 3 hours of raiding are not the same thing in the slightest. Once someone becomes a well adjusted adult they see the difference. I can pause the TV if I need to leave or get up , or if some weird thing happens like someone comes by to ask if I want to go out to eat ect. What happens if your buddy comes by when your raiding internet dragons , nope sorry bob can't go eat gotta stay here and kill internet dragons even though i'm a grown rear end person I can't tell them I want to go out and have fun or maybe I just don't feel like raiding the same thing for the 37th time. Nope have to schedule my life around a video game instead of ever just saying you know what I don't want to play tonight I would rather just do something else. Hell if the smoke detector goes off most raiders will just check it after the boss dies because , commitments to a game.

TV time or any other activity most of the time is not like raiding in an actual guild.

Not only this, but if you skip out on fighting that internet dragon to go do real life poo poo, half the time the people you were going to do it with get lovely about it and punish you for not helping them. Leave in the middle of a raid or miss one? 'Well we put you further down on the list' or some other passive aggressive bullshit. Hilariously, it also applies on the RP side of things; if you don't attend their scheduled plot events or whatever enough times, they just stop interacting with you.

Netflix isn't gonna prevent you from watching Daredevil or whatever because Tim came over and wanted to hang out, but if raiding is important to you, there is the threat that you might not get to raid with the same people if you bail on them. And most people playing, that's a big deterrent and changes how they view the interactions.

MH Knights posted:

Being an almost 20 year old 2D isometric game likely means it is very cheap to produce new content and that you can play it on extremely outdated hardware. I am sure there is enough of a dedicated player base/whales that to keep the game making bank. Also kMMOs tend to turn a blind eye to botters/RMT so those accounts inflate the numbers as well.

I remember reading an article ages ago about how part of it is also that Korean internet cafes tend to have multiple Lineage accounts per computer or some poo poo, since people can just drop in, pay the fee to play, and leave.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

The Moon Monster posted:

MMO raiding is lovely and all, but it's perfectly reasonable to give someone lower priority if they have a history of bailing midway through/not showing and leaving the entire raid hanging. It's not surprising that games with structures that force these kinds of situations are dying.

I can understand that, but there's a difference in flaking and having a real life, and a lot of gamers can't grasp that difference. I had a friend who enjoyed raiding and was trying to raid, but had recently had a baby. You can probably guess how that ended up; he was good at his role but I remember one of the officers saying 'he shouldn't even be trying to raid if he has a baby,' because he'd miss some trash or one or two bosses.

I was also once dropped by a raiding group because I didn't bring alts to farming runs on non-progression content, to get them geared up 'just in case we need them.' Raiders can be loving fickle and take their poo poo way too seriously. But that can be applied to just about any sub-section of MMO player. :v:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Holyshoot posted:

So everyone's life is to busy to block out 3 hours for anything? My roommate plays softball with his work every Thursday night for 3 hours or so. That's a team of 15-20 people doing something where they rely on the other person. Is he not a well adjusted adult?

Because 15 adults living in the same city and working at the same job with similar schedules is exactly like arranging a raid with people from all across the country in a variety of careers.

Part of the reason I stopped raiding back in Cata was I worked retail at the time; I was a manager, so my schedule would differ crazily week to week. If I was closing, well, the store closed at 9 central and then we had to straighten up and get tasks done, so I might not have been home until 10 PM. And next day I may have had to go in at 6 AM as the opening shift. That weekday raid run by the guy in Washington starting at 8 PM was typically JUST starting as I was getting home from work, and then blocking out 3 hours when I might have to work the next morning? Nope.

Raiding can be fun but it's not like a bunch of guys getting together and playing softball and having a few beers. Those guys are gonna laugh it off and have a beer no matter how it goes; it's recreational time they've all agreed on. No such thing with that raid, unless you've hit the veritable jackpot. Because that softball game is not gonna be held up if someone gets frustrated that they can't hit a pitch they usually hit every other week and make everyone keep trying that pitch until it's hit right. But you stymie on a boss that you've downed before and everyone gets frustrated. You end the night not able to beat that boss, and people are gonna be upset. No one's gonna give a poo poo Earl missed a curveball when he usually hits those curveballs, and Earl is gonna be invited back next week just dandy; someone's gonna chew out Elfhunterr the elf druid for loving up their rotation or something, and might find themselves benched so they can go play softball next week.

There is very little in regards to real life activities the average person is gonna do that is comparable to raiding. Even tabletop RPGs can't really be compared because if something goes wrong you can start where you left out next week or go a different route, since the fact you have to go through literally everything up to that point AGAIN if something goes wrong isn't dangling over your head.

Asimo posted:

And a similarly big difference between actually literally doing stuff with human beings in person, and lurking alone in a dark room killing internet dragons with spergs addicted to a video game.

This also affects people's temperaments and how much bullshit they're willing to take. If Earl at the baseball game threw a shitfit over someone missing a pitch, no one would let him order everyone to try it again until it's done right, because everyone is there for fun. Earl'd get his rear end uninvited and kicked off the field and people would have a beer and go 'jeez what crawled up HIS rear end.' If Earl's uninvited, he can still show up and apologize and participate, and if not he can watch the game.

Elfhunterr, though? He can rail on everyone in the loving raid for being idiots and most people are gonna keep their heads down because they want to get poo poo done and get their new pants and be done with it for this time around. Someone leaves cause he's abusive? They just grab someone else. People are gonna talk about how much they dislike him behind his back but since he controls who gets an invite and who doesn't, no one's gonna call him out to his face. And no one is gonna risk asking too many people to form something new in case they snitch, and gently caress it, who wants to go to the trouble of organizing all this poo poo ANYWAYS?

Raiding is more like a lovely, part-time, entry level job than it is having fun, at least in my eyes.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 24, 2016

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Holyshoot posted:

You guys must have raided in some lovely raid groups. 3 hours a week doing normals/heroics is about as casual and who gives a gently caress you can get. Just like playing softball with your work every Thursday. I'm not talking about the 20 hour a week try hard. But keep on thinking I am.
So wrong

If enough people are complaining about the same poo poo with raiding, and you haven't seen ANY of that EVER in your raiding career, then maybe you're the outlier?

Though I realize I'm also talking about poo poo like doing Cata and MoP raiding and I don't know if the WoD raids are so ridiculously easy at this point that they aren't much different from LFR. Last I remember Heroic was the hardest difficulty, and I think I might've been mixing that up with Mythic.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

The Moon Monster posted:

I haven't played WoW since TBC but doesn't the LFR difficulty level solve exactly this problem?

Kinda, yeah. It's incredibly casual and it's nearly impossible to wipe in LFR, barring extreme stupidity or some bosses that are just so mechanics oriented that wailing on them for ten minutes straight and healing non-stop won't drop 'em. I don't really think it even compares to raiding at that point.

Used to be you wanted to do LFR to get set pieces for the bonuses or the trinkets so you could do harder raiding, but most of the LFR gear is boring and doesn't have a lot going for it; someone in here said the good trinkets are on normal mode and higher. It's better than the poo poo you can get from dungeons and quests, but that's not saying much. LFR's basically just one big dungeon where you SHOULD be avoiding the fire but it's strictly optional.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Firstborn posted:

Is there a documentary about where this game went wrong yet?
Also, should I play it now? I never tried it before. Is it free yet?

It's free, it's not horrible but won't wow you or show you anything you haven't seen before. Try it before it dies just to say you did!

I had fun with it until the 'new' wore off on it.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

noELrunes posted:

WILDSTAR IS SAVED

I want one of these with all six properties on it set to scale against Lineage 1 cause Wildstar would barely be on the graph. I do like how Guild Wars 2 is outperforming Lineage 2 but due to scaling it doesn't look it at first glance.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Asimo posted:

Holy :lol: I thought the thirteen months or whatever for Icecrown Citadel was bad enough. That pretty much killed every guild on the server and probably dropped the population by half as all by the most depressively hardcore types finally clued into the fact they were playing the game out of obligation, not fun.

Anyone who's still willingly raiding in tyool 2016 has to have some sort of brain disease.

Siege of Orgrimmar was a year, I think. They have a history of this, but I can't remember the last raid in TBC to check to see how long it lasted.

I remember people would get one character fully geared then move on to do it for the next character, going against RNG and all that to try and get the best gear possible for their dudes. Which was then outclassed when the next expansion hit by poo poo near the end of the first zone of the new continent.

People are loving weird, man. I ran a dungeon here not two weeks ago with a healer who bitched at two of our DPS for doing low DPS and was trying to vote kick them; they were both fresh level 100's and in 'I can just barely do heroics' gear and didn't know about Tanaan. How the gently caress do you even do that? 'IT'S THE END OF THE EXPANSION AND I AM GOING TO TAKE THIS POINTLESS DUNGEON THAT THE TANK DOESN'T EVEN NEED ME FOR COMPLETELY 100% STRAIGHT FACED SERIOUS *SHITS IN A SOCK*'

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

sword_man.gif posted:

no. there's not enough time. hfc came out end of june and legion will be september at latest, probably pushed out no matter how done it is end june/beginning july to coincide with the movie

Well one full year is still longer than SoO; that tumblr says It was 321 days for SoO. If it launches in June at all it'll be ~340 days for HFC.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

RPZip posted:

Siege of Orgrimmar launched 9/9/2013, the next expansion pack (the current one) launched on 13/11/2014. It was over a year for Siege.

Monomythian posted:

I'm being super dumb and wrong a lot today, I think this is the right one. (399 days)

http://how-long-is-this-patch.tumblr.com/post/99973095078/today-marks-399-days-of-seige-of-orgrimmar

I should never post.

Yeah you made us both look dumb, THANKS MONOMYTHIAN. MY E-CRED IS RUINED

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Differo Cathedra posted:

The world design is nice but the combat is so tedious that I tried multiple builds to make it more interesting but they're all just different flavors of boring to me. There is also the fact that it has that old MMO problem of fewer people are currently playing this game than originally planned for so there's a shitload of trash mobs everywhere. Secret World and SWTOR would both be better as single player games removed from all the MMO trappings.

I agree with all of this. I had made a mistake in my build and took something I ended up not liking at all and there is no cheap or easy way to respecialize so I got stuck with my lovely, uninformed decision that kinda gimped me.

And yeah both games would be outstanding single player games.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

randombattle posted:

Was there really hype for Wildstar? It was pushed heavily with ad campaigns but I don't remember people actually being excited for it.

Yeah SA especially was like 'HOO YEAH MOTHERFUCKER' about it and there was a HUGE hype thread for it back before the beta started. Then I think it tapered a bit with the beta and then died after launch.

Also Wildstar is in the Humble Bundle again. :v: For just a dollar you get this stuff!

quote:

Critically acclaimed and now free-to-play, WildStar is a sci-fi MMO of epic proportions set on the mysterious planet Nexus. Blast off to a huge and amazingly vibrant world packed with unique characters, exotic locations, thrilling challenges, and dark mysteries.

As part of this Humble Bundle, the Jumpstart Pack is filled with amazing goodies such as immediate access to the WildStar Housing feature (normally requires level 15) and a unique Hoverboard mount. Below is everything you get in the pack:

Bag of Big Beginnings (16-slot bag)
Housewarming Gift Pack (Housing Decor)
Flask of Advancement (XP Potion) 1x 3hr
Shardspire Canyon Fabkit (Jump Puzzle Challenge)
Blue Steel Hoverboard with Flair (Mount)
Housing Teleport (Immediate Access to Housing)
New Homesteaders Allowance (5 gold)

Also Awesomenauts and a few other packs for F2P games.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

I said come in! posted:

That is insane but not surprising. I mean Carbine advertised Warplots as a major feature of Widlstar. It was touted as something that made their game unique from everyone else, yet it seriously got zero support after it was implemented?

It sounded like Alterac Valley or Wintergrasp, to be absolutely frank. I mean yeah you were supposed to have your guild custom build their war plot and the enemy team would attack it, but it boiled down to the same PvP objective poo poo those two WoW ones had.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

The Moon Monster posted:

Has there been any theme park MMO other than WoW that has done this that hasn't failed to some degree? I guess Rift lasted a decent amount of time.

I was gonna say SWTOR only because it's kinda succeeded after going F2P but it did kinda bomb at the very start.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Rorus Raz posted:

WoW was the game where everyone decided to copy the two faction thing from, so it's less stupid when you're one of the first to try something out.

It feels like WoW took the idea of locked in factions from DAoC, since it was the only other game that had it; even in EverQuest, you could build faction reputation outside of the specific PvP servers to let yourself run around in enemy cities and such.

No one's really done two faction systems well, except maybe SWTOR, because they always try to make things too drat unique and that always causes balance issues.

SWTOR kinda just gave everyone the same classes with different names and balanced them equally, and the only differences were in the story and aesthetics of the classes. It was a boring implementation but it made sense storywise, but it did keep things pretty balanced.

To be honest, I fully expected Blizzard to basically do this given that this is like the fifth expansion where lore wise it's been "hey let's stop killing each other because X is way more important!!". My two big hopes for Legion were open grouping between factions, and less/no race/class restrictions. Didn't get either, so gently caress you Blizzard.

Yeah the race/class restrictions are pointless by now, but what I REALLY want are all hair styles for all races/genders. I want the loving Jane Fonda haircut on my dwarf paladin, goddammit.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'm guessing the only reason wow hasn't done away with factions despite it being dropped by just about every MMO that still retains a niche is because of the movie. There is no gameplay reason other than maaaaybe increase some replayability by having people reroll another faction but its useless and a lot of people cant be bothered.

The 'I wanna see the other side' is probably a good idea, but thankfully they have a way to get past the 'can't be bothered' thing!

it's this but sixty bucks to get to max ten short of max level

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Psykmoe posted:

Also, the gnome city? Totally not troll accessible. Nowadays MMO architecture (including in later EQ expansions) is loving gigantic to allow easy play in third person, but early EverQuest cities were really scaled to their inhabitants, I think a lot of those were meant for first person navigation. And larger races could get stuck in doors for smaller folk. It could look really crowded.

I got my troll warrior stuck in a chimney in the dark elf city one Christmas. I had to get a GM to yank me out. Because of the timing it got slapped on a community site as an 'event' which was funny since it was just a dumbass kid exploring and getting stuck in geometry.

EQ also had loving pit traps and other poo poo, the kinds of things that are really cool the first few years of the game's life but then everyone knows about them so it's common knowledge that after so far into this hallway you need to juke right or you'll fall to the bottom floor and get gangbanged by a pack of skeletons.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Baller Time posted:

http://imgur.com/a/VDgdT

Login rewards are pretty standard for f2p games now, though.

Yeah that's been there for awhile as far as I recall. I remember something similar when F2P launched, at least.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

lmao the review pinned to the top is from Olivar, who is one of those guys who has never shut the gently caress up about the game ever. I think he was the guy who always pretended to be a Chua with his posts, too.

The comments in it are pretty much what you'd expect.

"I just fear steam users are not ready for the challenge though :D"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

ModeSix posted:

This is amazing.

Either those are NCSoft employees or paid reviews. It reads like an Amazon review page to me where they all type out novels about the virtues of this new pen.

Neither! These are the insane, die hard fans that love the game no matter what and understand they need to extol the virtues of it to get anyone to actually give NCSoft money to keep it going. Check out the Pathfinder Online thread; for every lovely MMO, there's going to be a few people who sound like battered housewives.

"Oh, no, it's just going through a rough patch, it's not as bad as it seems from the outside. Really, I've been with WildStar for two years now, you just don't see the good times."

It's scary how some nerds react to a sunk cost fallacy. The brain is loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

jabro posted:

Lol that's one abusive relationship. You're going to have a Lifetime movie about you soon.

Or a Chuck Tingle book.

• Locked thread