Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
So how come people get upset over the whole toy commercial thing?

Spoiler alert, shows are built to sell. Gundam just sells model kits instead of BDs and trashy character merch. It's not like it has much of an impact on the show other than having lots of mecha designs and a bunch of required upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Srice posted:

If toys are the only thing you can talk about in a conversation about a show, it's a bad show.

You only talk about toys if you're going out of your way to talk about it. It's not like there's any less show to talk about.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I guess I'm just of the opinion that as long as there's no big plot-killing "the execs said sell the toy here" then I don't really care as long as the show is fine.

I'm biased because I like model kits anyway.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Srice posted:

For instance the G-Armor was dumb as hell and it had way too many scenes where they used it just for the sake of using it, and it's something that they had no say in.

Well no poo poo it happened in the original Gundam considering when it was made. Considering how much of a flop 0079 was in its original line I don't blame them for grasping for extra sales.

I just can't think of it really impacting the shows other than having the villain factions poo poo out a new suit every week. The worst case I can think of other than the G-Armour is some guy in Seed changing sides because his Gundam wasn't selling very well.

I just don't think it'll have much of an impact on IBO. I also find it hard to find "too many fights" to be a problem, because I'm really tired of action shows that only have one brief fight scene every few episodes.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

dogsicle posted:

why was the Hecate such a show fixture if they weren't going to kit it??? mrgrgr

gently caress your good suits, please buy more not-Zakus. God I am sick of Zakus. Mobile Suit Zaku: The Zakujin isn't helping. Give me my loving GMs already. The Jahannam getting two releases, even if one was a palette swap, was insulting when I couldn't even get the Reflector Pack as a non P-Bandai release.

Reds fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 3, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

boom boom boom posted:

You better not be talking poo poo about the Jahannam. The name Jahannam will live on forever!

Jinn Jahannam was a cool guy, Jinn is a pretty decent not-Zaku, Jahannam is incredibly boring.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

BlitzBlast posted:

Did they just mean the weapons? I figured they were going to be incorporating the toy line's universal frame by having the Barbatos steadily tack on parts from defeated bots of the week and end the show looking like some nightmarish min-maxed MMO character.

I guess that would be a pain to animate, though.

It'd be cool if it did that but I suspect it's more likely that he'll stay pretty stable other than maybe some extra thrusters and weapons after he gets the shoulders that are on the HG. It'd be cool if they committed to megamanning armour parts though beyond the shoulders. Because the shoulders are like the only part that they've shown off so far.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Droyer posted:

The waist really looks like it's designed to put more armor on at least.

It does, but the other Gundam having an exposed torso as well makes me suspect it's intentionally exposed and there to stay.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I dunno if people are calling her a princess because she falls into that character type or if they think she's an actual princess, but she's just some rich politician's daughter. Gundam just really likes its villains to be aristocratic in style.

That huge-rear end backpack won't last long. Seems like more of a "mount every gun we have onto the gundam" pack.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

BlitzBlast posted:

Series has been confirmed to be 25 episodes.

I'm glad two-cour Gundam shows are a thing now.

Aw. I guess this explains why they were announcing so many kits in advance.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

The tanks just aren't equipped to fight MS, maybe they'll get heavier armaments in the future.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Crank is unfortunately the type of character destined to die, it'd be nice if he attempted something other than a head-on assault but it's just not to be.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

So apparently the singer of the ED is the fourth highest selling musician in Japan, and this is her first song for any anime.

Congrats to Sunrise for not just having a generic j-pop ED.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Davincie posted:

hah she's sold a lot but she's not in the top 5

I got this second hand so might be off by a bit.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I'm interested to see what combat role the Mobile Workers have now that the Gundam is in play, because an MS beats an entire platoon of tanks with little effort.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Christ, MIka does not gently caress around.

That was very much playing with the Ramba Ral/honourable enemy captain thing. Particularly when said morals and character just bounce off Mika entirely and mean nothing to him instead of making him an important stepping stone in his character development.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Now that the boys are running the operation, I want a scene where everybody goes into town and has a proper meal for once.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

It didn't. That's why we have more than six Zaku kits in one year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Next episode the frogs show up. I wonder if their gimmick is heavy armour. It'd be interesting if they the Guspion or whatever it was called was nigh-impervious to physical damage, at least the first few times.

I'm also hoping the candyman capitalises on the Barbatos's weaknesses the next time they fight. Playing a game of keepaway would be smart against a melee-oriented suit.

• Locked thread