Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

When the Barbatos busted out of the ground I was like

YEAH

YEEEEEAAAAAAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

boom boom boom posted:

Don't worry guys, the Barbatos is gonna get a big spiky backpack

You didn't post the other picture where you can see the giant rocket boosters on that thing. Should I be spoilering this? I don'twant to ruin the surprise.

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

Reds posted:

I dunno if people are calling her a princess because she falls into that character type or if they think she's an actual princess, but she's just some rich politician's daughter. Gundam just really likes its villains to be aristocratic in style.

The history of Gundam is the history of class struggles.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

tsob posted:

If she does she better build it in a cave and become the show's Char.

Speaking of Chars, is it wrong that whenever a Gjallarhorn person popped in I immediately started weighing odds on whether they'd strap on a mask and start flying a Red Mobile Suit?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I hope the tiny girl becomes the series Char

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

tsob posted:

the guns on top make me imagine Mikazuki trying to turn the Barbatos in to something closer to the Workers he's used to.

It actually half looks like it's straight up a mobile worker strapped to the back of the Barbatos, which is the only case in which it would be okay.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 6, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It actually half looks like it's straight up a mobile worker strapped to the back of the Barbatos, which is he only case in which it would be okay.

Workers are tiny compared to the Gundam, though, so it's not that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Series has been confirmed to be 25 episodes.

I'm glad two-cour Gundam shows are a thing now.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

BlitzBlast posted:

Series has been confirmed to be 25 episodes.

I'm glad two-cour Gundam shows are a thing now.

Aw. I guess this explains why they were announcing so many kits in advance.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hopefully that means they actually hired good pacing instead of gundam pacing. 25 is more than enough.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The only 50-episode Gundam show that doesn't suffer for it is Turn-A, so yeah, two cours is a good thing.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Absolutely loved it. The music was amazing, and I really just enjoyed every aspect of it. A couple of clarification questions though:

Are Gjallorhorn the earth forces? And were the guys meeting with Aina's dad part of Gjallorhorn? Basically I got confused when they showed the different people (and uniforms) in space, and I'm wondering if they're all the same faction.

EDIT: Oh, and the mobile tank things are the best part.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Absolutely loved it. The music was amazing, and I really just enjoyed every aspect of it. A couple of clarification questions though:

Are Gjallorhorn the earth forces? And were the guys meeting with Aina's dad part of Gjallorhorn? Basically I got confused when they showed the different people (and uniforms) in space, and I'm wondering if they're all the same faction.

EDIT: Oh, and the mobile tank things are the best part.

Kudelia's dad met with the Mars branch of Gjallarhorn. Agents from the main Earth branch (in particular, not-Char and not-Garma) are presently coming by for an inspection, and the Mars sub-branch want to show them something impressive (as in, a major pro-independence figure getting iced).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Greblin posted:

The history of Gundam is the history of class struggles.

Now I want to see SuperMechaGodzilla's take on Gundam.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I do not

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress you.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Someone who isn't SMG should do a Marxist analysis of Gundam though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress no

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Someone who isn't SMG should do a Marxist analysis of Gundam though.

Marxism is bad sieg Zeon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nah, it would be great.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

SMG is nice, and I like him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gundam as a whole is a series about the fundamental failure of society. It doesn't take a ton to analyze that.

The protagonist of the first series is Amuro Ray. He's a well-to-do upper-class kid who ends up in a war and sees the ways it utterly fails society in every way, shape and form. The argument is not that the leadership is broken but that society itself is fundamentally broken. The only way to change it is with a massive revolution not just in leadership but in the way people think and act.

Zeta follows that up by actually starting that revolution. The White Base members are now fighting against society and trying to change it. However in the process they lose what they were fighting for. They either become part of the machine or become so disillusioned that their path becomes utterly broken and they seek suicidal angry self-destructive paths in some desperate attempt to change something.

ZZ follows up on that by having one of the only Gundam protagonists who is basically a poo poo-up low-ranker who has the serious potential to change society. And his solution is to gently caress off and abandoned the corrupt broken world which can't be fixed by anyone. Unlike Kamille and Amuro who have comfortable lives, Judau has no reason to cling to the vestiges of society and so he's like 'gently caress ya'll, I'm out."

At no point in Gundam is the current structure of society shown to be a positive thing. The Federation is corrupt and useless and anyone who attempts to replace the Federation is corrupt and broken. It is literally impossible for humanity to fix. The only hope is a revolution but even that revolution is crippled by the fact that the people who want to enact that revolution are too grounded in society. This is something Unicorn actually takes on. Riddhe isn't meaningfully different from most Gundam protagonists. He is too comfortable in the status quo to really enact a heavy revolution and Unicorn even rewards that to a degree because there IS nobody to take over if the Federation falls except arguably worse people.

Newtypes are effectively the 'ideal.' A revolution that can occur outside of society and in doing so which can reject society without needing to deal with its flaws. It is optimistic and hopeful but fundamentally broken because of that. Any attempts for this theoretical magical revolution to occur are crippled by the fact that they are manipulated into being further weapons. The corruption is so deep it instantly cornholes any attempt at meaningful long-term revolution. And as we know, this leads to a tremendous breakdown of society in G-Reco/Turn-A. The only way society can arguably change is by becoming something completely different.. but even then the long-term corruption sets in. G-Reco is effectively an Eden-state. A childlike group of people who do not know sin until it is introduced to them by an outside source. (In this case Cumpa is the Snake and the Rose of Hermes is his apple.)

The idea of Gundam is that literally the only way to truly overcome the broke corruption of modern society is a complete wipe. One must either completely leave humanity behind (either by ascending to a new plane of existence or by travelling so far into space that no trace of humanity remains) or it must be so utterly broken and destroyed that no trace of it can remain. In the case of both there are only two ways it can happen: a tragedy or a miracle. Gundam fundamentally believes the tragedy is likely but the miracle is ideal. Tomino simultaneously wishes for the complete destruction and hopes that an implausible alternate path will appear. Even while wishing for the latter though he acknowledges that the most likely path would be that the miracle is corrupted and not that humanity embraces it. To put it short, if the Son of God appeared, we'd nail him to the cross all over again.

There, quick and lazy.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 6, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Gundam as a whole is a series about the fundamental failure of society. It doesn't take a ton to analyze that.

The protagonist of the first series is Amuro Ray. He's a well-to-do upper-class kid who ends up in a war and sees the ways it utterly fails society in every way, shape and form. The argument is not that the leadership is broken but that society itself is fundamentally broken. The only way to change it is with a massive revolution not just in leadership but in the way people think and act.

Zeta follows that up by actually starting that revolution. The White Base members are now fighting against society and trying to change it. However in the process they lose what they were fighting for. They either become part of the machine or become so disillusioned that their path becomes utterly broken and they seek suicidal angry self-destructive paths in some desperate attempt to change something.

ZZ follows up on that by having one of the only Gundam protagonists who is basically a poo poo-up low-ranker who has the serious potential to change society. And his solution is to gently caress off and abandoned the corrupt broken world which can't be fixed by anyone. Unlike Kamille and Amuro who have comfortable lives, Judau has no reason to cling to the vestiges of society and so he's like 'gently caress ya'll, I'm out."

At no point in Gundam is the current structure of society shown to be a positive thing. The Federation is corrupt and useless and anyone who attempts to replace the Federation is corrupt and broken. It is literally impossible for humanity to fix. The only hope is a revolution but even that revolution is crippled by the fact that the people who want to enact that revolution are too grounded in society. This is something Unicorn actually takes on. Riddhe isn't meaningfully different from most Gundam protagonists. He is too comfortable in the status quo to really enact a heavy revolution and Unicorn even rewards that to a degree because there IS nobody to take over if the Federation falls except arguably worse people.

Newtypes are effectively the 'ideal.' A revolution that can occur outside of society and in doing so which can reject society without needing to deal with its flaws. It is optimistic and hopeful but fundamentally broken because of that. Any attempts for this theoretical magical revolution to occur are crippled by the fact that they are manipulated into being further weapons. The corruption is so deep it instantly cornholes any attempt at meaningful long-term revolution. And as we know, this leads to a tremendous breakdown of society in G-Reco/Turn-A. The only way society can arguably change is by becoming something completely different.. but even then the long-term corruption sets in. G-Reco is effectively an Eden-state. A childlike group of people who do not know sin until it is introduced to them by an outside source. (In this case Cumpa is the Snake and the Rose of Hermes is his apple.)

The idea of Gundam is that literally the only way to truly overcome the broke corruption of modern society is a complete wipe. One must either completely leave humanity behind (either by ascending to a new plain of existence or by travelling so far into space that no trace of humanity remains) or it must be so utterly broken and destroy that no trace of it can remain. In the case of both there are only two ways it can happen: a tragedy or a miracle. Gundam fundamentally believes the tragedy is likely but the miracle is ideal. Tomino simultaneously wishes for the complete destruction and hopes that an implausible alternate path will appear. Even while wishing for the latter though he acknowledges that the most likely path would be that the miracle is corrupted and not that humanity embraces it. To put it short, if the Son of God appeared, we'd nail him to the cross all over again.

There, quick and lazy.

Neat.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

:golfclap:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

That was actually pretty good.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
There's also a fairly strong running current of "even if society as a whole is completely broken, individual people are for the most part fundamentally good". It's the crux of the idea of both sides being kind of sympathetic, after all.

It'll be interesting to see how IBO decides to handle that, since all we have on Earth so far is that they've already drained Mars dry so it's not like they really need the place anymore.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

There's also a fairly strong running current of "even if society as a whole is completely broken, individual people are for the most part fundamentally good". It's the crux of the idea of both sides being kind of sympathetic, after all.

It'll be interesting to see how IBO decides to handle that, since all we have on Earth so far is that they've already drained Mars dry so it's not like they really need the place anymore.

Not exactly. Mars is on its last legs, and the quality of life of Martians has tanked, but its minerals are still very important. Hence why they're so interested in offing Kudelia.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Darth Walrus posted:

Not exactly. Mars is on its last legs, and the quality of life of Martians has tanked, but its minerals are still very important. Hence why they're so interested in offing Kudelia.

...so basically this is aldnoah zero but both sides' military capacity and perspective focus is switched

...i'm going to hope the similarities end there

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It is interesting to see a Gundam show going 'viva la space revolucion' for once, though. Usually, Gundam protagonists want to either reform or preserve the powers that be, not outright give 'em the middle finger. Even the League Militaire was beating back an invading force with covert assistance from their government.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It is interesting to see a Gundam show going 'viva la space revolucion' for once, though. Usually, Gundam protagonists want to either reform or preserve the powers that be, not outright give 'em the middle finger. Even the League Militaire was beating back an invading force with covert assistance from their government.

WIng and 00

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SEED was pretty "viva spacejerks" to be honest. ZAFT, even at its worst, was portrayed as more sympathetic and 'leave those guys alone' than the Literal Cackling Evil of Earth

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

WIng and 00

I'd place 00 under 'reform' (they weren't trying to overthrow or secede from Earth's governments, but force them to unite in the first season, and in the second they were trying to remove the influence of the A-LAWS and Innovators from that united government, AEUG-style) and Wing under 'who the gently caress knows?' (since their mission got completely shot to hell after the first couple of episodes and they ended up being pulled between like a billion different factions). Generally, though, spacenoid independence and/or crushing Earth's government are the reserve of villains in the franchise.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ImpAtom posted:

SEED was pretty "viva spacejerks" to be honest. ZAFT, even at its worst, was portrayed as more sympathetic and 'leave those guys alone' than the Literal Cackling Evil of Earth

Way I see it, everyone in SEED is a villain to at least some extent(or becomes one or gets murdered for not being one), if we placed every Gundam iteration on a scale between Idealism and Cynicism, SEED and the whole CE continuity would be right on the deepest end of Cynicism, a terrible and bleak world with no real hope left for humanity or it's future except perhaps under the silk lined Iron Glove of the Clyne faction, and even that will probably collapse soon, paving the way for even more death and misery(it's kinda amazing that CE is bleaker than several continuities that are post-apocalyptic in nature)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

It'd be interesting to find out if it's possible to terraform IBO's Mars further with more of a biosphere, and if the Earth government has purposely kept it mostly barren to keep the population in check and make mining operations easier. All the shots of it so far seem to be a big red desert where plants only grow in human-managed conditions. There's no bushes or scrub or anything, which is fairly significant given that humans have been living there for 323+ years.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The idea of Gundam is that literally the only way to truly overcome the broke corruption of modern society is a complete wipe. One must either completely leave humanity behind (either by ascending to a new plane of existence or by travelling so far into space that no trace of humanity remains) or it must be so utterly broken and destroyed that no trace of it can remain. In the case of both there are only two ways it can happen: a tragedy or a miracle. Gundam fundamentally believes the tragedy is likely but the miracle is ideal. Tomino simultaneously wishes for the complete destruction and hopes that an implausible alternate path will appear. Even while wishing for the latter though he acknowledges that the most likely path would be that the miracle is corrupted and not that humanity embraces it. To put it short, if the Son of God appeared, we'd nail him to the cross all over again.

There, quick and lazy.

8/10. Didn't quote Plato or Szizek enough.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Red Bones posted:

It'd be interesting to find out if it's possible to terraform IBO's Mars further with more of a biosphere, and if the Earth government has purposely kept it mostly barren to keep the population in check and make mining operations easier. All the shots of it so far seem to be a big red desert where plants only grow in human-managed conditions. There's no bushes or scrub or anything, which is fairly significant given that humans have been living there for 323+ years.

Unless you use magic or technology that might as well be magic, it takes a long rear end time to terraform a world even in the best conditions, so it's not all that surprising that even after a couple hundred years Mars is pretty inhospitable to life, even if it has a breathable atmosphere now

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I wonder if the pre-devastation civilization injected a piece of super dense exotic matter into Mars' core so that it could hold a thicker atmosphere and have gravity comparable to Earth's. You could also get the piece of EM rotating to give Mars a semblance of a magnetic field so as to deflect cosmic radiation.

TNG fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 7, 2015

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
This was a good start! I'm excited to see all the cool mechs and their weapons in action.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

drrockso20 posted:

Unless you use magic or technology that might as well be magic, it takes a long rear end time to terraform a world even in the best conditions, so it's not all that surprising that even after a couple hundred years Mars is pretty inhospitable to life, even if it has a breathable atmosphere now

Yeah, it takes loving forever to make significant amounts of dirt from scratch. That part's pretty realistic, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok so basically I kinda remember watching Gundam 08th MS Team and several other Sunrise batshit insane mecha animes (Code Geass, Valvrave, and Fukuda's latest massterpiece), but since I don't remember anything about the former and the latters had nothing to do with Gundam, I'm basically starting my knowledge of the Gundam-verse now and this is what I think I understood :

- Mars has been terraformed and everybody on it is poor. Also something happened 323 years ago that might have been linked to said terraformation? Mars people want independence (from Earth? seems logical)
- The princess supports Martian indepence (because she's young and full of convictions?), but pretty much nobody else in her social circle does (because they are old and assholes?)
- She gets sent to the trash PMC full of child soldiers that are treated like absolute trash, who are supposed to be protecting her (?) while she visits Mars (?).
- Anyway they get attacked by people from some place with a ridiculous name that starts with like "Gja" (how the gently caress is that even supposed to be pronounced?), who uh... what is their objective anyway? I might have forgotten, but I bet they are trying to kill the Princess to make the Martian independence movement look bad.
- Trash PMC is badly equipped, and most of the troops actually leave the child soldiers from "trash battalion C" to die. Luckily they have a giant robot (I think those are the ones called Gundams) underground in a top secret part of the base, and the episode ends as it springs from the ground and starts attacking the assholes in the other giant robots.
- Also there are two assholes in space talking about some sort of techno magical communication device.
- Like 8/10 child soldiers have "will die an horrible painful death" written next to them, and I can bet fat guy, tall guy with weird haircut, hardcore-looking muscle dude and handsome blonde guy are going to die before the show is even halfway done.

• Locked thread