Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

canada jezus posted:

I think i've seen one maybe two of his fights, is he really that boring?

Rashad is something far worse than boring. He has done enough cool things to make people feel that it's worth their whiles to watch, but more often than not he does nothing to win other than control his opponent.

Ugh. I just agreed with Thiago Silva on an issue. I feel so dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If the UFC has been forcing fighters to change divisions for promotional reasons - Lineker, Gastelum - they should also start forcing fighters to change divisions for health (ethical) reasons.

Hendricks to 185. Everyone will be happier. For even though I don't like him, I don't want to hear that Johny Hendricks dies in an attempt to make weight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

Like Kelvin though, I think Hendricks' issue is just he doesn't manage his weight between camps far more so than it is he legitimately belongs at welterweight. If he kept his diet under control I suspect his weight cuts would be much more reasonable.

E: he'd be pretty undersized at middleweight, the issue really is just he's carrying around more pudge than he should.

If he puts himself in the hospital from a weight cut, no matter the leading causes, he shouldn't be in that division anymore. Like, if he completely overhauls his lifestyle and never goes above 185 between fights, etc etc, then great, let him fight at welterweight, but after this long and this many bad cuts and however many dietitians, do you really think it's going to happen?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Re: "the people walking around at 185-90 are fighting at 155" - didn't GSP claim that he walked around at 185 to fight at 170?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sage Northcutt is the new Todd Duffee.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If the world is a just place, Rumble will lose to Bader, being forever humiliated.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Maybe most sig. str in a ufc title fight?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This thread keeps delivering reasons to give Ryan Bader a title shot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

If you can learn one thing from these threads, it should be that some fighters are objectively cool and good and some are objectively bad and dumb

But that a fighter is bad and dumb doesn't mean that he can't have fans, right?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Err it sounds like he's blaming Uncle Creepy for Del Rosario's death, and saying that "everyone" knows it's true but that FRB is the only one "brave" enough to speak up? Something about Creepy threatening him at some point, too?

He also linked this?

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/tuf-alum-holds-ian-mccall-indirectly-responsible-for-shane-del-rosario-s-death-040814

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah I unfollowed FRB ages ago. To hear once in a while a legit story 5 minutes earlier isn't worth the price of having to read all of his bullshit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

No TAM fighter will ever lose a UFC title.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The talent gap in W135 compared to other divisions is a bit overstated, too.

W135 has one great fighter, a few decent fighters who really have no hope of dethroning her, and then a garbage fire.

HW has two great fighters, one pretty good but declining fighter with multiple losses to one of the great ones, an old man on a winning streak, and a garbage fire.

205 has a champ, a "champ," and then a few decent guys who have lost to the champ and the "champ," and then it's a garbage fire.

155-185 are shark tanks.

145 has four great guys on top of the heap and then it's a mess.

135 has Brian "Seedy" Caraway pushing the top 5, and actually in the top 5 if we remove fighters who are hopelessly inactive, injured, or no longer fighting in that division (Barao, Assuncao, and McDonald). Let that sink in.

125 has one great fighter, a few decent fighters who have really no hope of dethroning him, and then it is a garbage fire.

e. Mark Hunt of course defies all classification.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 7, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MA-Horus posted:

You are of course talking about King of Goon Hearts, Markuh Huuuuuuuunto, yeh?

I was actually thinking JDS but yeah, I should have added Hunto as a separate item there. I wasn't sure how to classify him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ufc kayfabe

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EmmyOk posted:

Jan Blachowicz who lost to Corey Anderson 30-25 recently is now the 15th rank LHW

I saw that. Tom Lawlor - coming off of a win - got pushed out of that top 15 for him, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You know what? Good for him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aurain posted:

If we're going to be honest, can we really call what Brendan Schaub did "fighting"?

Performance art.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

NickRoweFillea posted:

would a kind poster please explain this joke to me? thank you in advance

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It feels like Christmas comes earlier every year :allears:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This is going to be awkward because the main job of the White House press corps is spinning poo poo.

:perfect:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

that bad article about the bad judge who talks about jeso a lot made me think: remember when nate quarry couldn't cut off the cage against a broken footed kalib starnes who had completely quit, and he landed like 0 strikes and no takedowns in the third and he got like a 10-6 round or whatever

The bad judge scored that fight 30-26 and the worse judge scored it 30-24.

Can anyone find these articles about the scoring in that fight?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm trying to figure out why Kennedy is so into it. He's not even wearing makeup. He's probably one of those assholes who shows up to a zombie walk in regular street clothes and says "no man, I'm a zombie survivor."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What about Joanna as a dark horse candidate? She's had an amazing year already. If she beats Letourneau like she beat Penne and Esparza (she will) she will have gone from being basically unknown to a savage TKO inflicting champion in a division which isn't known for striking power.

This is all moot of course because Fighter of the Year is Sage Northcutt, obviously

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

I watched this fight with extreme bias FOR Edgar, and you are very wrong.

E to add more to the discussion: we can argue how, with wins in their next fights, McGregor and Cerrone would be top contenders for fighter of the year and probably be right. What I think is more interesting is that in the probable case neither of them win, it becomes much HARDER to determine who actually gets fighter of the year. Like Cormier came back and beat the two other best guys but he lost badly to the consensus true best light heavyweight, and Rousey trashes people but those people are bad, etc.

In that case I predict whoever wins in the goon vote will only do so by a single-digit margin.

A 3-0 Joanna has a better case than Cormier or Rousey. She basically created a division that people seem to enjoy watching and brought a title to represent a new market. Could even say that Werdum and Lawler have good cases, at 1-0, though Lawler-MacDonald is such a lock for fight of the year that the vote should be for the runner up.

Do we not have anyone on crazy winning streaks this year like Neil Magny was last year?

Never mind. Mark Hunt Fighter of the Year 2015.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aurain posted:

2014 doesn't even hold a candle to 2013's though, that's just how bad 2013's was.

I don't know if Mark Hunt will be able to get his hat-trick favourite fighter this year though, that Robbie Lawler vs Rory fight and Nick Diaz being Nick Diaz are going to make it hard for him.

I move that the Favourite Fighter award be renamed the Mark Hunt award, and that he be given the prize emeritus forever so that we can vote for our second favourite fighter.

Or the award can be renamed "PSP's second-favourite fighter"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

HEY NONG MAN posted:

So there's a a British Vote and then an actually official vote after that?

Yes?

But like, barring some gigantic Cosby-level scandal, that this forum loves Mark Hunt is not going to come into question. There's no point in voting for it anymore. The second favourite is up for grabs, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

canoshiz posted:

Good lord, 0-5 in the UFC? Even Steve Cantwell had a win

Did it ever come out what Cantwell's "serious problem" was?

Also, Waldburger was tweeting that he wasn't forever let go, but that since he's on indefinite injury hiatus that they terminated his contract. He expects to come back to the UFC once he's ready to fight again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lid posted:

They said they'd treat Punk like all 0-0 fighters.

Like Matt Mitrione or Amir Sadollah.

Cough.

You know what? They're probably going to run a season of TUF in his weight class soon, and they'll throw in the house couple guys who have 1 to 3 fights . They'll likely have Punk fight the one of them who performs the best and/or represents a favourable style matchup.

Of all possible ways of finding him an opponent, that seems the most reasonable.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

A TUF tournament where the winner gets the privilege of fighting CM Punk would simultaneously be completely meaningless and also way better than the actual traditional TUF contract due to the fact that a CM Punk fight will do stupid numbers the first time.

I wasn't suggesting that he'd fight the winner. I mean they'll do a middleweight tournament and have CM Punk fight a mediocre-at-fighting but charismatic also-ran, and then only announce that toward the end of the series when the finale is getting booked.

gently caress, anyone who could win a tuf tournament, even a TUF 19, would straight-up murder Punk. Again, I'm talking someone who is 1-0, wins the fight into the house, and then gets RNCed by a 9-3 prospect in 90 seconds into his next fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

Sure it's made of two pieces of tissue paper glued together, it incorrectly represe ts the fighter's name or ethnicity and it costs $95, but it's only available in 15-minute intervals which means it's a collector's item! Everyone will want one!

Is the quality that low?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Detroit_Dogg posted:

No respect for the Republic of Formosa? Shame on the UFC

At least they're fastidious about praising Aldo's Muay Siam.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

silva vs bonnar, except he wasn't hurt

beat me to it, but it was already on my clipboard.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bubba Smith posted:

It's pretty cool how Stipe Miocic pulled out of the Rothwell fight last week, he apologized, Rothwell was understanding, then the Tsunami of Rothwell this morning said "Rothwell vs Arlovski for Jan 2nd. I want this fight to happen, that card needs a Co-main. Why not Stipe? Cuz I'll train and waste another 2 months of my life only to have his back go out again. Andrei shows up to fight "

and now Andrei Arlovski vs. Stipe Miocic will be co-main event at UFC 195 Jan. 2 in Las Vegas.

I know nobody else cares about this poo poo, but this, this is what I live for.

Ok that's funny but also hosed up.

Give Rothwell a fight right now, and make it one that he can earn a performance bonus on. January is far away.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Heh Rothwell should amp it up more. He might draw enough attention to get the winner of Cain-Werdum. loving guy is on a 3-fight win/finish streak, which after the HW exchange rate is like 7.

Make it happen.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The shirt was a response to Poirier turning down the fight against Parke, who is the only Northern Irish fighter on the roster. It was a jab specifically at Poirier - it is his fault that Northern Ireland doesn't get to come play.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It was a cool fight. I liked Ian McCall back then, before I heard him do any interviews or heard any anecdotes about his personal life.

I still get excited to see that moustache fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

they should do a mini tournament like they did when Randy left and returned.

DC vs Bader // JBJ vs.... nevermind.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Without going back to review it, wasn't Rashad's KO of Chuck an uppercut, not a ROH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok. Chuck was throwing the uppercut. Still wrong, but not insanely wrong.

• Locked thread