Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Well Lentz was a Dolce guy right? I think that's the reason for the call out. But they might as well do Penn vs Dolce.

I dunno if the Penn that showed up to Edgar 3 could hang with any top featherweight these days. As much as I'd like for Penn to go out on an impressive win I think he's gonna embarrass himself even more if he comes back. So he shouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

manyak posted:

Gustaffson is overrated and has a lot of flaws in his game, which at 205 means hes only good enough to be a consistently top 3 guy, go a close 5 rounds with the best fighter to ever be in the division and has a good chance of beating the current champ

Yep. He would probably have as much success at heavyweight too, as would Rumble and Jones and obviously Cormier.

The thing that has hurt Gustafsson the most are the injuries. Going back to early 2013 he was supposed to have had fights with Mousasi, Lil Nog, and Glover but all of them got cancelled (mostly due to Gus pulling out). Had those fights happen Gus would have had a much better record than 1-2 going into his fight with DC this weekend.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

-Atom- posted:

Man people turned on Hendricks real quick. I remember when he was generally well liked

He had a really good fight with Condit, then a really good fight with GSP, and that was after knocking out a few contenders in Fitch & Kampmann. Then he had a really cool with fight Lawler. Hendricks from 2011 to the summer of 2014 was some good poo poo.

Since then he's just complained that Rory MacDonald got the title shot, which ended up being on the best welterweight fights ever, and then complained that he had to fight Tyron Woodley, who he will now not be fighting because of his own fuckup, and complained about Carlos Condit fighting for the belt which Johny will probably never do again. Oh yeah and his fight with Brown wasn't very good either.

Also he bought a dumb truck and opened up a bad restaurant. And he was the first big Reebok signed dude. So yeah this past year or so hasn't been good for Johny Hendricks at all. The turn is warranted imo.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Benson Henderson just said on twitter he would gladly fight Woodley on 2 days notice and asks for Woodley to call his bluff on it.

I'd be down to see that match tbh. UFC probably won't do it since they need Bendo to be healthy to headline that November South Korea card AND they probably enjoy embarrassing Hendricks at the moment. But that would be a better option than automatically giving Woodley a title shot and his show + win money for nothing.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Le Saboteur posted:

This Ronda Rousey promo for UFC 194 is one of the greatest promos the UFC have ever put together. Also Fake Herb Dean. http://ellentube.com/videos/0-91z5qd54/

:agreed: that's pretty cool. another million+ buys guaranteed, imo.

I wish they could do one for Robbie Lawler and Carlos Condit just growing up kind of chill and ordinary with this insatiable bloodlust looming underneath but that wouldn't make a very cinematic promo.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

yeah what I think people should take away from Cormier vs Gus is that Gus vs Jones definitely was not a fluke, Gus is a tough loving guy who is still dangerous even after the Rumble loss. I do think Cormier vs Jones 2 has a chance to be closer than the first match but Cormier's 5th round still doesn't look nearly as freaky as Jones' 5th round. So I would prefer to see Gus fight Jones again before Cormier does but eh them's the breaks.

It sucks that Gustafsson has losses to the top 3 guys in the division, but the good news is he has a lot of ranked guys left he hasn't fought yet. Gus could definitely beat Shad who is coming off of a loss and then fight the winner of Glover/Cummins or some poo poo and be right back in there for a rematch against Jones late next year.

Really Gus just needs to avoid Rumble cause that will probably be his worst matchup in the division.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Marching Powder posted:

a good fight, but definitely not a classic.

disagreed. while not as good as these other fights, it came out today that Gus and Cormier hit each other more than Jones and Gus did (setting a new record) and slightly less than Robbie and Hendricks did in their first fight (falling just short of the all-time record). Cormier and Gus beat the poo poo out of each other, there were cool takedowns, a dramatic knockdown by the challenger (I believe the first time DC has been knocked down?), and it was a competitive engaging fight for all 25 minutes. If Cormier had been a longtime champion like Jones was before he fought Gus it would have had the same "holy poo poo" reaction.

it deserves to be included in the list of other classic title fights. Then you can argue which ones are better than others, which it would come in toward the bottom but that's okay.

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 5, 2015

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bluedeanie posted:

How quickly we forget Rumble Johnson.

Oh yeah you're right, I forgot about that because DC popped back up even faster than he did after Gus knocked him down.

david carmichael posted:

sorry what record is that?

CommonShore posted:

Maybe most sig. str in a ufc title fight?

Yep. Cormier vs Gus is now 2nd place for most significant stirkes in a title fight at 260 or so. Robbie vs Johny is at the top at 300.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Seltzer posted:

has ok fights.

Nope. he's had a few good performances here and there but overwhelmingly his fights have been forgettable decision fights. The Davis match, 5 round OSP match, the Rampage fight, the Perosh fight which was the most gimme opponent ever and he still couldn't do much to finish, and probably others that I did indeed forget about.

Bader's fight with Jardine was A Classic, but he still has a long ways to go until he's known more for good wins than spectacular losses to Machida/Tito/etc.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Yeah, when you get really defensive about Ryan Bader you've probably hosed up in life. Agreed.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

yep. though it is nuts how shogun is only a year older than Bader. shogun should already be in his 40s by now and retiring, not one of the youngest fighters in the LHW division. what the gently caress

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

TheCool69 posted:

In switching camp news..

Pettis bros have decided to switch up and are now longer a part of Roufusport

http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/22570/pettis-questions-dos-anjos-as-new-anti-doping-policy-kicks-in

Well it says right there in the quote he hasn't switched camps per se, not like how TJ just left TAM. Pettis is just doing a specific training camp with Duke Roufous and handpicked coaches/sparring partners near Roufusport. That ain't the same when most fighters "switch camps," i.e. they blame all their losses on the coaching and burn every bridge and move to Florida.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I don't think TJ is a bitch for leaving TAM. Team Alpha Male is a great camp but after so many years there TJ and the other little alpha males have mostly learned about all they can from Urijah and the other coaches/fighters. Even though TJ is way ahead of the rest of the division I don't think it's a bad idea to go train with new people and hopefully expand his game even further.

The quote TJ's new head coach gave on the situation sort of rubs me the wrong way though, to borrow that from Faber:

quote:

As for the circumstances surrounding Dillashaw's decision, Bowling said it had nothing to do with recent issues that have been brought to light by both Faber and Ludwig.

"Honestly, he told me last time he was here elk hunting that he was planning on doing 60 percent of his next camp with us and 30-40 with Alpha Male. I told him I thought it was a bad idea. I truly thought he needed to stop worrying about Duane and Urijah's feelings, be selfish for once and not try to please two people who he was very loyal to. I'm thankful he chose our team and thankful he put his faith into us and our coaches."

He's not wrong that it probably isn't a good idea for a champion to be worried about splitting his time between multiple camps, but I dunno, of course it's easy for Bowling to tell TJ not to worry about loyalty when the outcome is he gets a UFC champion training at his gym full-time. I don't think TJ is a snake in the grass but Leister Bowling sounds like one to me.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Marching Powder posted:

what the gently caress? it's really solid advice to not let personal relationships get in the way of business

especially when the guy giving said advice benefits from it the most, that was my point. Of course he's going to tell TJ not to worry about Faber & loyalty when he gets to train a UFC champion now and Urijah does not. I didn't say it was the wrong choice, just I didn't like the statement he gave about TJ's situation.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I don't think 145 is a mess. I also don't think JDS, with wins over Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum, is much worse than Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum. You could just go with 3 great fighters I think. controversial opinions.

in fact I would argue that 170 and 185 are more of a mess at the moment since you have high profile guys like Anderson and Lombard out of action due to drug tests and Johny Hendricks loving up the #1 contender fight by refusing to put down cheeseburgers. Edgar, Mendes, Conor, and Aldo might be a touch better than the rest but at least everybody ranked at 145 is having good fights this year.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

After the Holm fight I doubt we even see Ronda back until July or August, plenty of time for someone to win 2 in a row.

yeah doesn't she have two movies in starring roles lined up? Even if Ronda finishes the Holm fight in 10 seconds it would be dumb to rush back, she has better stuff to do.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

tbh I think if you're paying a UFC champion to train at your gym exclusively $50k a year is dirt cheap. That's less money than they get from Reebok per fight, and Reebok doesn't pay out poo poo. So I would hope Dillashaw got more than that.

It sounds like Dillashaw was already thinking of going out to Colorado anyway, the money was just extra incentive from Bowling to get him to leave Faber. Which I still say comes off as scummy to me but whatever.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

I don't think there's anything scummy about TJ leaving? He got a massive financial incentive to train with another team that happens to be close to his cosh and mentor. Maybe it will turn out poorly, maybe he'll do fine, only time will tell.

I wasn't talking about TJ leaving, I've never had a problem with that, I mean how Leister Bowling told TJ not to worry about being loyal to Faber and now I read that was also accompanied by him paying TJ a ton of money to leave TAM and come train at his facility. I just personally don't like it but I'm also not a shrewd business person.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Seltzer posted:

lol they start the podcast with shirts on and they're off by the end.

I wouldn't have a Team Alpha Male podcast any other way.

I'm not done listening but Faber basically says that TJ got paid peanuts to go train over at Team Elevation. Or as he put it, "if you mowed lawns for a whole summer you would get the same amount of money." This whole thing seems weird to me.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

Apparently Ludwig called Faber and told him he had nothing to do with all this

It makes sense. TJ was already doing half of his camp with Duane for the last Barao fight and neither he nor Faber made a big issue about it at the time. I believe Duane said that while he did want more time with TJ he still got in enough to make sure TJ was ready for the match. My point is that if TJ slowly started spending more time in Colorado and less in Sacramento I don't think there would have been nearly as much drama with the transition, but I'm assuming part of TJ getting paid by Team Elevation was to make it clear & public that he's no longer going to be a Team Alpha Male fighter.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Northjayhawk posted:

How often is the challenger more prominent and impressive on the poster for a title fight?

Diaz vs GSP poster. But that one made more sense thematically as Diaz was supposed to be this wicked force looming over GSP that he finally had to confront.

I saw the RDA vs Cerrone poster earlier and was surprised too but I don't dislike it. It looks good at least. Truthfully they should have saved the composition for RDA vs Khabib since Khabib actually is the dominating force that RDA has to prove himself against to be the undisputed champ. RDA already beat Cerrone.

I suppose the cowboy hat wouldn't have looked as good if it were facing dead-on though.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Aurain posted:

Put it this way, if you like watching Joe Rogan's podcast where he sits at his table talking about alphabrain, you'd probably enjoy Joe Rogan and his mates getting high as gently caress then play Grand Theft Auto while talking about alphabrain.

If any of us actually watched fights, I'd watch funny people watch fights and talk about them while they happened. Sort of like what Joe Rogan is doing with his fight companion podcast, but legally allowed to broadcast the fight footage simultaneously on the screen.

Now replace that with video games. whoa.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bundt Cake posted:

did you miss their last 100000000 title fights

they were all pretty entertaining tbh. has TAM had an unenjoyable title fight? Maybe the first Faber vs Barao interim title match. but that is 1/1000. all the others were worth watching. good return imo.

In the ongoing saga of Dillashaw vs Faber, TJ said on Ariel's show this morning he's banned from returning to Team Alpha Male's gym. It makes sense if TJ really was using most of the younger/inexperienced students to beat up on, but yeah they are setting the stage up for Dillashaw to fight Faber next summer if he gets by Cruz. RIP Assuncao, the man who never mattered.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Marching Powder posted:

1) he literally always was

actually in the interview TJ says it was a surprise to hear Faber be the one saying he would be fine with fighting him since he thought "they were a lot closer than that" and that "Faber is looking for a big fight in his career and I don't want to have to do it." Ariel prods like how he does so he does get TJ to answer yes, if offered the fight and there being no other options available he would take it, but then again repeats himself that he doesn't wish it to happen and instead it should be on Faber to change weight classes or find another big fight. So I think it's a bit of a misquote to say that TJ is fine with fighting Faber. if I had to guess I think Faber is way more eager for that match than TJ is for numerous reasons.

After hearing the whole TJ interview I agree with him when he said that this whole story never should have been as big of an issue as it was. I think he just got hosed in the press and the fans by doing it in the slowest month of UFC news in a long, long time.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Marching Powder posted:

nobody wants to fight friends btw, they do it because they're professionals which faber certainly is and tj almost certainly is. that was probably the first time he had to seriously consider the possibility and responded like a (reluctant) pro. i don't think it's misquoting him at all to say he would do it and be fine with it if you define 'fine' as being able to give 100% and not as in happy to fight a friend

agreed, but that isn't how all the sites are reporting it unfortunately. they want the clickbait title so they're going with Dillashaw wants to fight Faber, confident he would win when that isn't how the conversation went at all.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

acai moonsault posted:

Rothwell vs Miocic is off the dublin card because Miocic is injured. that has to be now weakest card in terms of name value in a while

that majorly sucks, but for a Fight Pass card seeing Poirier vs Duffy, Paddy Holohan vs Smolka, and Seery vs who gives a poo poo will still all be fun fights to watch. Much better than usual Fight Pass cards even without the greatest heavyweight match of the century.

If they can get him I'd like that Ruslan Magomedov guy to fight Rothwell since he's an undefeated* heavyweight with some of the most plodding decision victories recently while Rothwell has some of the most exciting heavyweight fights.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

niethan posted:

Is Duffy's third fight in the UFC being a main event a record of some sorts? Probably not, right?
not only is it not a record that was his 5th fight not his 3rd.

also Ilir Latifi and Joe Soto

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

why are there so many duffees in UFC main events this year

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Lid posted:

January 3rd, 2015

he did lose (and cry) but he had a competitive 3 rounds with the champion and then beat the two other top guys in the division & won a belt in the process. That's a pretty good year for anybody. Cerrone and Conor are like the only two guys who are gonna have a better year if they win their upcoming championship bouts.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Lloyd Boner posted:

How about RDA if he beats Cowboy? Only two wins, but against some pretty insane competition, and he became champ as a 5-to-1 underdog.

But I think it would have to go to one of the gals (assuming they win their next fights and Conor/Cerrone don't), since they would be the only champs with 3 wins in the year.

Yeah RDA is up there too obviously but Cerrone's case is stronger since if he wins that's 4 wins in 2015, 2 over legit competition and redemption fights against Benson and Dos Anjos and he wins the belt. That's a lock for Fighter of the Year imo. Conor cause that'd be 3 wins in 2015, knocking off a top guy in Mendes and the long reigning champion in Aldo. Cormier, even though he went 2-1, all 3 were the best in the division so he's the fat dark horse in the race.

and yeah I expect it to go to Ronda cause even though Joanna's fights are all going to be sick as hell and she was the underdog for her championship bout, Ronda beat 3 people in under a minute flat. That's insane even if she is fighting trash cans. But since we all know rhonda isn't as good as yoshida, let's talk about Conor and Cerrone and Cormier and Condit.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Lid posted:

I'm trying to recall DC being competitive with Jones. He didn't get blown out and did win round 1, but a lot of my memories of that fight are DC trying really hard to take down Jones and failing while Jones took down DC a lot. DC won a "moral" victory by spending the last round rather than going for a KO or anything just trying to take down Jones.

That fight cannot be held as "DC had a great year!" when he became champion because the guy who beat him comprehensively left

It was round 2 that he won and 3 was close before he gassed and got beat the gently caress up in 4 and 5 and lost, but that's besides the point. You can remove DC's winning a fake belt if you want to be a dick about it and he still beat the top two other opponents in his division, something no other fighter has done this year. Mighty Mouse gets a pass because he's already beaten everybody, but right now Cerrone/Conor/Weidman/Rockhold/RDA are the only guys left who will be fighting their second top ranked opponents before the end of the year. Then you can get into arguments about what's more impressive, Conor beating Mendes and Aldo in a year or Dos Anjos beating Pettis and Cerrone in a year over DC beating Rumble and Gustafsson.

I'm not saying Daniel Cormier should be awarded the illustrious "Ultimate Fighting Championship Reebok Fighter of the Year," as I do think when it's all said and done there will be a few people ahead of him. But if some funny things happen before the end of the year he'd be worthy of it. People who say he isn't are either making dumb "lol LHW sucks" points or are retarded, whatever they want to go with.

However I non-sarcastically agree it should go to Dan Henderson if he knocks out & retires Vitor Belfort in Brazil. That's actually the best story of the year if he does it. nam as te

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 19, 2015

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bundt Cake posted:

who was fighter of the year last year

Robbie Lawler. That's why, as much as I love him, I think it's a bit egregious to say he should win it this year when comparatively his 1 fight against MacDonald wasn't as cool as the 4 fights total he had in 2015.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bundt Cake posted:

Who was fighter of the year 2 years ago

Weidman for beating Anderson twice.

bundt I appreciate you making GBS threads all over the rinky-dink fighter of the year award but other real sports get to have MVPs awarded. fighter of the year is the only thing we have, please do not take that away from us

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

apparently Benson Henderson won it in 2012 for winning* 3 championship fights, 2011 was Jon Jones for beating everybody from Pride.

what a dog poo poo award

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Trast posted:

Worst career move has to go to Jon Jones this year for the DUI. If not for that he was probably going to beat Rumble, beat Gus in a rematch, and jump to heavyweight.
Jon Jones is actually fighter of the year for giving countless hours to charity and community service. setting a standard for all other athletes to follow.

Not quite fighter of the year but pretty good years all-in-all candidates: Uriah Hall if he goes 4-1 in 2015 after everyone thinking he was utter lovely trash, Max Holloway on the verge of going 4-0 with a few good wins in there, Demian Maia about to go 3-0 after everyone thinking he was utter lovely trash (again),

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

I'm scared that khabib may turn into a "what could have been" story

I wouldn't worry about it too much. He's still basically the youngest ranked lightweight UFC has, only Dariush is younger by 1 year I think. The injuries might impact his performance but tons of athletes bounce back from knee injuries, and I'm gonna guess Khabib has some decent genetics cause he wrestled a bear that one time.

Tony Ferguson is also way too comfortable fighting off his back so I think Khabib will be in good form for his December fight. I expect it to look similar to the Tony Ferguson vs Danny Castillo match but much more decisive for Khabib.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Lorenzo Fertitta once said in an interview "yeah, we pay our athletes a fair amount", now let me write a 500 page analysis on revenue sharing from that.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I actually think by the time CM Punk fights the over a year and a half of daily training from Duke Roufus he's had will make him a pretty drat good 0-0 fighter, but he would still get his poo poo wrecked by Amir Sadollah.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

If anyone got anything out of this, I'd like to hear it. I didn't. It might become a building block later on in life when we can start getting more contract info. Here is their big stab at trying to nail down fighter pay:

I didn't either which is why I stopped reading when I read the word "estimate" like 30 times before that line you quoted from Lorenzo. It's the same analysis I do when I try to estimate how many PPVs Demetrious Johnson has sold (estimation: not many). Except I don't usually take ten thousand words and pie graphs to make my bad posts.

Some good information might come out with that lawsuit UFC is dealing with right now, until then Fighter Pay is still not a good topic. But I agree, Brendan Schaub is full of poo poo. As far as an article on "is UFC making money?" then yes, I suppose they are making money so it was a good piece on that.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

acai moonsault posted:

lawlor vs. maldonado is off

reading Lawlor's reason for pulling out of the fight made me sort of sad:

Filthy Tom Lawlor posted:

By "Filthy" Tom Lawlor

Due to unfortunate circumstances I have decided not to fight on November 7th against Fabio Maldonado in Sao Paulo, Brasil. On Saturday during a training session I suffered a small cut over my left eye due to a head-to-head clash after a takedown. The cut suffered was deep, though not deep enough to jeopardize my ability to fight on November 7th. I returned home to spend time with my newborn son and watch some of my teammates compete in a World Series of Fighting event later that night.

While watching the fights and a Boston College football game it became increasingly harder to focus on what was in front of me. I have very good eyesight when tested; however it was taking longer for the blurs and lights to go away as I watched the two contests. As time passed I became more mindful of the vision problems I was experiencing and I began to think about the fortunes of a fighter I share the same initials with (Thomas Joseph): TJ Grant. Former #1 UFC Lightweight contender TJ Grant now works in potash mines in Saskatchewan, Canada. While working a "real" job is a fine way to make a living, I long ago decided that I have no desire to go back to that world.

I grew up as a fervent professional wrestling fan, and when the UFC was introduced I saw UFC 2 on a VHS tape at a friend's house. I was 10 years old at the time. As I grew to be older I was more than an avid fan. I was in high school and my spare time was filled with activities that no teenage male likes to admit in public: playing wrestling video games and competing in E-feds. But it wasn't just the easily accessible WWE, WCW, and ECW stuff I was watching. At the time the UFC was hardly a household name. Not easily found on PPV and relegated to tape trading, the UFC had a future that was uncertain at best. But in Japan, the stakes were just raising and I was ordering events like RINGS Kings of Kings '99 and Pride 8 through Internet websites. As if that wasn't enough, I would even go to such great lengths as staying up until 4 AM to read people type results in ICQ chat rooms as they watched the events live!

I've had what some would say is a successful career in the UFC. As of this writing I hold a UFC record of 6 wins and 4 losses. Two of those losses are somewhat controversial split decisions; I lost to a grizzled veteran in his home country, and I was soundly defeated by the current 185-pound champion in minutes. But to me, I am both a success and a failure. The young boy that I once was, that still resides in me, is happy and ecstatic for me every time I get to drive to the gym to twist, wrench, and wreck my body for the next two hours. But the adult who has just watched the birth of his first child can't help but feel as if there isn't enough money for the future.

Fortunately, and I truly do thank them for this, the UFC has been generous to me with performance bonus money which has allowed me to continue living this dream for the past seven years. Much like most dream sequences that seem too good to be true, now is not the time that I want to wake up and live in the "real" world. Unfortunately for now, there is a constant headache that has woken me up long enough to be advised not to compete due to a concussion suffered from the previously-mentioned head crash.

There is no doubt in my mind that three weeks ago whoever votes in the UFC rankings finally had it right, and I was listed amongst the top fighters in the world. I also realize that by fighting in this state I risk my future ability to continue climbing those ranks, which would finally serve both masters (my young and adult selves) adequately. With more wins comes greater compensation, and the birth of my son has finally given my adult self the motivation that was needed to turn that sense of failure into one of success.

I just traveled a long two years off to come back and score a win over a top 15 fighter and earn a Performance of the Night award on July 25th in Chicago, IL. But that was never the goal; the goal was always to keep living that young boy's dream. To raise my hands, hear the roar of the crowd, and become intoxicated in the moment. It is a moment that it is unforgettable, surpassed only by the unexplainable joy that seeing your son or daughter for the first time can provide. It seems as if now my life revolves around the dreams about this sport that I had as a young boy and the dreams that I possess for one's future; And that is absolutely okay with me.

Next year will mark another return for me on the way to a longer and more productive career because of this decision. My motivation for fighting will continue to grow as will my skill-set and understanding of life. It has to. I'd hate for my son to grow up and dare to live a dream because I set an example that resulted in having to stop living mine. So in 2016, look for me to be back in the Top 15, beating Top 10 opponents, and proving to every young boy who has to watch the UFC behind his parent's back and every adult that worries about their family that dreams can and do come true.

By the way Fabio Maldonado is still fighting on the card against Corey Anderson. Fabio Maldonado doesn't give a poo poo about brain trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

it's admirable how utterly worthless the reebok deal has been for almost all parties involved

and yet it should have been the easiest home run ever when previous MMA apparel was flaming pitbull skulls and nazi propaganda and every other sponsor avoided paying the fighter until they were called out on social media.

• Locked thread