Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

lmao abbott on the front bench

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's also the bit in there where he ran Joh's election campaigns.

What bit is that? In the quarterly essay on him it claims the media director title he had was largely just that.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Les Affaires posted:

lmao abbott on the front bench

if there is a just god he will see to it that it happens

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Les Affaires posted:

Did I hear the green shoots of a discussion about a housing bubble????

It can't possibly be green or the libs would be trying to kill it.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Maybe. It is layered, like onions, which Tony Abbott ate raw, skin and all (twice).

What is actually wrong with what he did

Or is it just funny

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Negligent posted:

What bit is that? In the quarterly essay on him it claims the media director title he had was largely just that.

I think he was more heavily involved in the 83 campaign than the 86 one, but I've not read that essay.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Former prime minister to front new onion marketing campaign.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There was a big piece of onion in my meal the other day and it made me think of Tony.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Jumpingmanjim posted:

There was a big piece of onion in my meal the other day and it made me think of Tony.

rip jmj

I wonder how many people were confused by the onion eating from the angle of people going "it's not the onion, he ate the onion."

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

ewe2 posted:

• We have a word filter for certain gendered insults and occasionally words that are overused for trolling. We do this to encourage a safe space so some of us can shelter from the rape and domestic violence culture we are surrounded by. We do not apologize for this and will not change it, so don't bother complaining, try being an adult occasionally. And don't try playing us off each other, that's particularly juvenile. If you don't like it, go away, we will not miss you. A bot will also kick for repeating phrases and flooding and sundry words for the fun of the discovery. A ban of a day for the worst words is now standard, to encourage your self-discipline. Please also avoid offensive fake user@hosts, you will be banned until you change them if you want to participate. This became necessary after certain abuses. In a perfect world none of this would be necessary but it isn't, deal with it.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
In a perfect world you have to play a round of Marvel vs Capcom 2 against another poster before every post, the winner gets their post approved and posted. The loser is sentenced to 5 mandatory days in the Crew thread.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 1, 2015

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So not only are we treating refugees worse than other countries are, it's costing us more.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/01/australian-immigration-detention-costs-double-that-of-us-and-europe-report

I guess all that rape torture and murder is expensive. :shrug:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

One of these days, Bill Shorten is going to fix this.

By standing down as leader of the opposition.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Anidav posted:

One of these days, Bill Shorten is going to fix this.

By standing down as leader of the opposition.

Nah, I don't think anyone in the Labor party has the guts or conscience to lead on this issue. I mean, they lose less politically by putting refugees in camps than they do by treating them like human beings and letting the Libs prey on the middle class voters' worst instincts. Bottom line is being decent to refugees is just not something the vast majority in this country care about. I don't think most people are happy about the camps, but they don't care enough to put the issue ahead of anything else. In short they just don't give a gently caress about the browns.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Unimpressed posted:

I guess all that rape torture and murder is expensive. :shrug:
What's the point in being the richest country in the world if you can't spend it on the things you love? :homebrew:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Maybe the majority of the population can't look up the facts on asylum seekers because DSL internet is slow and poo poo.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

Maybe the majority of the population can't look up the facts on asylum seekers because DSL internet is slow and poo poo.

The majority of the population doesn't give a poo poo about the facts on asylum seekers. The $360,000 per person per year more it costs to detain someone offshore rather than house them in a community is worth it, to S T O P T H E B O A T S

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*goes back in time to kill Julia Gillard so Kevin Rudd can successfully implement the Big Australia policy??????*

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

if conditions in immigration detention were actually acceptable to good then you'd get people writing letters to the herald sun about how reffos get free foxtel

asylum shoppers would become asylum tourists, like literally people deciding it would be nice to take a holiday to somewhere with beds, aircon and a free flight home at the expense of the Australian taxpayer

nope. better to push it all offshore and engage in a voters: politicians game of dont ask dont tell.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

oTHi posted:

No one wants to kidnap Gina. Not even her family wants her back, so the ransom will go unpaid.
Take her and threaten to give her back unless you are paid a million dollars. There is always a way to make money from kidnapping rich people, if you don't mind being the subject of a nationwide manhunt and living for the rest of your life under a rock in the wilderness in perpetual fear that some koala will turn you in for eucalyptus money.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

quote:

Unions and employers hail inclusive Malcolm Turnbull as national mood lifts

The Turnbull government has reached in-principle agreement with unions, employers and welfare organisations to reduce a raft of concessional taxation arrangements that benefit the rich, as all sides hailed the prospect of a new era of consensus and co-operation in Canberra.

It followed the first direct ACTU-Coalition discussions since the 2013 election.

The sudden thawing of opposition to long-term reform possibilities that has come with the Turnbull prime ministership means superannuation concessions for the well-off, entirely ruled out of consideration by the Abbott government for political reasons, are firmly back on the agenda with all parties agreeing such arrangements need to be scrapped if they are not "fit for purpose".

Also in the frame are capital gains tax concessions on property held for longer than 12 months, and negative gearing on property, both of which have been criticised for having unintended consequences, such as distorting real estate markets and driving prices beyond the reach of first home buyers.

"There was a very, very strong agreement that concessions needed to be looked at," said Business Council of Australia Chief Executive Jennifer Westacott.

Moves to more strongly align the needs of industry with training and university courses were also embraced.

"I think the more important discussion we've had today though is what is the nature of work ... and how you get a collaborative framework for lifting productivity and opportunity," Ms Westacott said.

The agreement to examine all ideas represents the first time in years that anything like a consensus over taxation reform has emerged between capital, labour, and welfare groups, with the support of the national government.

The high-powered group, which had been invited to Canberra by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull to brief economic ministers on the results of its deliberations and particularly those of the National Reform Summit in Sydney in August, left the meeting in high spirits.

They said issues over which there is disagreement, such as changes to the GST and weekend penalty rates, opposed by unions and the welfare lobby, and increasing the overall tax take, opposed by business and the government, would not be allowed to slow progress on areas of agreement.

Given the heavy crossover of national/state responsibilities in areas like vocational training, it is likely the next step will see the main participants invited to be involved in some capacity in the December COAG meeting.

Central among priorities was the need to gear policies around higher growth, through improved support for low-income jobs and a move away from the Abbott government's work-for-the-dole approach. It is hoped this would lead to better targeted training for unemployed workers to prepare them for jobs in the emergent economy.

Speaking after the three-hour meeting in the cabinet room, the heads of the ACTU, secretary Dave Oliver and president Ged Kearney revealed it was their first face-to-face discussion with an Australian prime minister since before the 2013 election.

"Absolutely it's a step forward," said Ms Kearney.

"Not once did I meet with the previous prime minister, so it's certainly a breath of fresh air."

But Ms Kearney warned Employment Minister Michaelia Cash to expect absolute resistance if the government decides to take on unions by trying to remove Sunday penalty rates.

Employers representatives including the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry's Kate Carnell, the BCA, Ms Westacott, and the Australian Industry Group's Innes Willox, said it was refreshing to have all issues and ideas back on the table.

Ms Westacott said the atmosphere was extremely positive with ministers expressing their thoughts freely and all parties willing to engage in genuinely flexible discussions aimed at lifting productivity.

Mr Oliver said it was clear however, that some areas were not agreed.

"No we have not accepted that an increase in the GST is required," he said.

Mr Turnbull was joined at the meeting by Treasurer Scott Morrison, Finance Minister Mathias Cormann, Industry and Innovation Minister Christopher Pyne, Assistant Treasurer Kelly O'Dwyer, and others. Reserve Bank Governor Glenn Stevens also addressed the gathering.

The breakthrough in Canberra came as the new head of a national co-ordinating lobby representing the views of business said they are open to debating a review of tax breaks primarily benefit the rich - including superannuation concessions, negative gearing and capital gains tax - if there's an economic case and they are delivered as part of a wider package of reform.

In his first major interview since taking over as head of the Business Coalition for Tax Reform, Frank Drenth, whose lobby group includes the nation's biggest business groups including the Australian Bankers' Association, Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Australian Industry Group, Business Council of Australia, Financial Services Council, Minerals Council of Australia and Property Council of Australia, said business was open to having a debate about the areas that were seen by the previous Liberal leadership as taboo.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...001-gjz7pa.html

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.whatsmybabynumber.com.au/

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Who knew that keeping refugees locked up on a remote Dr Evil island would be expensive.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
very sneaky way to get people's emails

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

bowmore posted:

Shut up and post your number.

2,961,076 here. EIGHTIES KIDS! :goshawk::goshawk::goshawk:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
3 million-ish

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bowmore posted:

still not smart enough to flag fart@butt.com as fake

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I hope you guys have a doctor that bulk bills, because cold and flu medication might be prescription only soon. :shepface:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/all-codeinecontaining-medications-could-be-prescriptiononly-from-next-year-20151001-gjzdex.html

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon posted:

And had planned on doing this OP. Clearly there weren't enough pixels in his CPU or the AEC prevented him out of spite.

I was busy doing stuff and I forgot.

That doesn't mean you get to make a poo poo thread though. Shame on you all.

Should I make a proper one now or just wait for November?

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005
This space intentionally left blank

ScreamingLlama posted:

I was busy doing stuff and I forgot.

That doesn't mean you get to make a poo poo thread though. Shame on you all.

Should I make a proper one now or just wait for November?

Your membership to the thread-creating crew has been revoked. You'll have to appeal if you want a chance at the November thread.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Endman posted:

I hope you guys have a doctor that bulk bills, because cold and flu medication might be prescription only soon. :shepface:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/all-codeinecontaining-medications-could-be-prescriptiononly-from-next-year-20151001-gjzdex.html

Only the stuff with codeine in it, there's plenty of effective medicine without codeine you could take. I personally think it should all be prescription only, it's the big supermarkets and the Chemists guild that are preventing that from happening. Paracetamol overdose is a lot more common than people think. Liver transplant anyone?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Unimpressed posted:

Only the stuff with codeine in it, there's plenty of effective medicine without codeine you could take. I personally think it should all be prescription only, it's the big supermarkets and the Chemists guild that are preventing that from happening. Paracetamol overdose is a lot more common than people think. Liver transplant anyone?

Agreed. I haven't used anything with codeine in it for... I want to say roughly 12 years? I've had a few very nasty colds in that time and always managed with the regular over the counter (or off the shelf) stuff.

People that get a regular cold (or a non life threatening flu) and want to go straight to the hardcore stuff make me go :psyduck:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Pred1ct posted:

This seems like a stupid argument, having a bubble in the economy isn't good just because it happens to be the lone area of growth. Eventually the bubble will burst and then won't that be a great outcome for the economy.

You know, if they took away the breaks for negative gearing and capital gains, they could cool down the market whilst also raising precious budget revenue....

I guess in theory they could try and time the burst so it happens when some other part of the economy is strong enough to lessen the blow. For instance removing negative gearing at the peak of the mining boom would have done bugger all damage to the economy. More likely they'll just try and keep it simmering away for as long as they are in government and hope that the poo poo hits the fan while the other party is in power.

I don't know how they can cool it off gently at this point. With so many investors in it for the capital gains, as soon as it looks like a permanent decline in house prices because of structural changes like revoking negative gearing they'll be selling up as quick as they can to get their money into something else. I can't see how that will lead to any outcome other than a crash. Even if negative gearing is removed for new investments only, that takes away a big part of what is driving prices higher so you still get the same scenario of people cashing out because house prices have peaked and can only decline from that point on.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
We have a word filter for certain gendered insults and occasionally words that are overused for trolling. We do this to encourage a safe space so some of us can shelter from the rape and domestic violence culture we are surrounded by. We do not apologize for this and will not change it, so don't bother complaining, try being an adult occasionally. And don't try playing us off each other, that's particularly juvenile. If you don't like it, go away, we will not miss you. A bot will also kick for repeating phrases and flooding and sundry words for the fun of the discovery. A ban of a day for the worst words is now standard, to encourage your self-discipline. Please also avoid offensive fake user@hosts, you will be banned until you change them if you want to participate. This became necessary after certain abuses. In a perfect world none of this would be necessary but it isn't, deal with it.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

I guess in theory they could try and time the burst so it happens when some other part of the economy is strong enough to lessen the blow. For instance removing negative gearing at the peak of the mining boom would have done bugger all damage to the economy. More likely they'll just try and keep it simmering away for as long as they are in government and hope that the poo poo hits the fan while the other party is in power.

I don't know how they can cool it off gently at this point. With so many investors in it for the capital gains, as soon as it looks like a permanent decline in house prices because of structural changes like revoking negative gearing they'll be selling up as quick as they can to get their money into something else. I can't see how that will lead to any outcome other than a crash. Even if negative gearing is removed for new investments only, that takes away a big part of what is driving prices higher so you still get the same scenario of people cashing out because house prices have peaked and can only decline from that point on.

While you make some good points, a counter to that is that there aren't too many investments that are yielding good returns right now. Straight up deposits are worthless, bonds are dead, some at negative returns, we all saw what happened to the stock market, so while negative gearing will definitely hit, I'm not sure the impact will be so bad.
Furthermore, I don't personally think we have a bubble as such that is going to burst with a big drop in prices. I think it's more likely that prices will drop a bit and/or stagnate. We don't have blocks upon blocks of apartments that are going to stand empty like in Europe, our housing market is still dominated by population growth, land scarcity and the psychological demand for owning a house that is so ingrained in this country. In other words, I think our high prices are driven mostly by market fundamentals, and only then frothed further by low interest and tax incentives for investors.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Unimpressed posted:

Also, the dose of codeine in those is sub therapeutic and can really only make you constipated. As you said, addiction to codeine leads to a lot of paracetamol overdose. Finally, gently caress the pharmacy guild.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

xPanda posted:

Also, the dose of codeine in those is sub therapeutic and can really only make you constipated. As you said, addiction to codeine leads to a lot of paracetamol overdose. Finally, gently caress the pharmacy guild.

Unfortunately, it's not only codeine addiction that leads to paracetamol overdose. People are fuckwits, and there are enough fuckwits so that every couple of days one or more of them end up in ED with an overdose. My head was really hurting so I took 6 and then it was hurting again two hours later so I took another 6 because it was really hurting, oh, and guess what I did two hours later when it was hurting again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for September:

2015: JFMAMJJA

2014: JFMAMJJASOND

2013: AMJJASOND

Highlights from last month's thread:

Unimpressed posted:

Again, we're not punishing them. As in we're not denying them a right to come here on many other grounds. Not allowing foreigners to come over and become a citizen of this country. For starters that would completely undermine the already weakening social contract. If 10 million to come here next year, do you really think it's impossible for a second. There's no doubt he is an extra judicial punishment. Foreigners don't have any obligation to let anyone but Australian citizens or other visa holders and asylum seekers into the country.

I think having a book explaining things to newcomers is an ambulating piece of poo poo than David Cameron (and that's saying a lot). I mean, between the two parties, but the only way to not be talking about us barring our convicted felons from coming here. It needs to make sense, there needs to make a point . Either way, not worth responding to in earnest.

gay picnic defence posted:

No wonder he took so long to concede. He probably couldn't believe what he can to get issued a visa in the end of the goodwill towards the Greens aren't going to risk a second leadership change.

ScreamingLlama posted:

Pfft. You can make a flamethrower out of a sudden you're all crying over a kid locked in a cage. If you see absolutely nothing wrong with using terms like 'autist', 'sperg' and banning people who didn't like it. Then something like this happens and all of a Super Soaker or other kind of disability.

• Locked thread