Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

katlington posted:

chriss kenny used to be malcolm turnbulls chief of staffie? lollĺllllll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

That's my D&D show! I still can't believe he agreed to do it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

katlington posted:

chriss kenny used to be malcolm turnbulls chief of staff? lollĺllllll

Yup, Credlin was demoted to deputy when the Dogfucker was brought in.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Sardine Wit posted:

Note to self. Goons are secretly involved with everything.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
The 370,000 strong Dicks on the Herald Sun fb page has been taken down. #putoutyourdicks

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

katlington posted:

chriss kenny used to be malcolm turnbulls chief of staff? lollĺllllll

That was something foisted on him by the same people who later fed him info about Godwin Grech, from what I recall.

Chris Kenny hosed and continues to gently caress does. He's a dogfucker.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Sardine Wit posted:

You're a loving legend mate.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
*16yo wants to vote* "they're too young they don't understand the world"

*16yo commits a crime* "they are adults treat them like one"

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Birb Katter posted:

#putoutyourdicks

I'm not falling for that one again Birb.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Nibbles! posted:

*16yo wants to vote* "they're too young they don't understand the world"

*16yo commits a crime* "they are adults treat them like one"

Yes because knowing that crime is bad and knowing what is best for our country is the same thing.

wait

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

MaliciousOnion posted:

Yes because knowing that crime is bad and knowing what is best for our country is the same thing.

wait
If the ability to vote actually revolves around 'knowing what is best for our country' please explain LNP and Labor voters.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
A 16yo can't know what is best for the country as they don't understand complex political narrative like "stop the boats", "carbon tax" and "labor waste".

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
A gay person can't marry their partner but they can still vote. Makes you think.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

quote:

The arguments against the innovation are not especially novel.
Dominating these reasons is the claim that the eighteen-year-olds are
simply not mature enough—they have not had time to form mature
political judgments, they may have facts but not perspectives, or they
are simply not "old" enough. Other explanations are more detailed
though less frequent. Some teachers claim that eighteen-year-olds are
too easily influenced by others to cast an independent vote. Another
argument is that they do not have enough information and experience,
while still others say they are not responsible enough at this age.
Finally, it is held by a few that young adults are not interested in voting,
that they would not vote even if they did have the franchise

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Turns out getting home from being given an Australian of the Year award isn't that easy if you're Koori. I'm pretty anti Uber (and taxi for that matter but my theory is most people should be able to walk the ride they're taking a taxi for. Going to be a 6 hour walk, plan your poo poo better) but if it is a way to stop this poo poo from happening then I'm down with it.

Those racists at the aboriginal black channel posted:

Indigenous elder Jack Charles rejected by taxi at Melbourne Airport; second in one week

Senior Victorian Australian of the Year, Indigenous elder Jack Charles, is considering legal action after being refused a taxi ride for the second time in a week.

Mr Charles's manager, Patrice Capogreco, said the pair had arrived at Melbourne Airport from Adelaide at 3:00pm on Friday afternoon, and were lining up at the taxi rank.

"The attendant allocated us a bay, and the bay had a taxi waiting," she said.

"I was on my phone and Uncle Jack walked ahead, and as he approached the cab to get in, it took off."

Ms Capogreco said there was no apparent reason for the taxi to drive off.

"He didn't move forward to another bay, there were no other passengers ahead of him, he just took off at the airport," she said.

"It all happened so quickly, the attendant who was monitoring the rank was horrified at what had happened and quickly got us another taxi."

Earlier this week, after Mr Charles and Ms Capogreco were leaving the Victorian Australian of the Year awards ceremony, he was asked by the driver to pay upfront, despite having a CabCharge.

Second taxi refusal in a week

Ms Capogreco would not go into what legal action the actor was considering, but she said Mr Charles felt something needed to be done.

"The ride home from the airport was a very distressing journey, he's gone home to rest, at this stage he doesn't want to talk about this anymore, he just wants to see some action, some change," she said.

"He stole the show today at the Jobs Australia event [in Adelaide], everyone loved him after his talk, and we'd come back to Melbourne so happy, and just like Wednesday, just knocked for six.

"Uncle Jack has had a really hard life, and it takes a lot to knock him about, and I don't see him like this very often, but he was really distressed today."

Ms Capogreco said they usually avoid taxis in favour of car-sharing service Uber.

"We don't experience this with Uber, but on Wednesday night, as well as today, we had CabCharges for our travel, which you can't use with an Uber," she said.

Ms Caprogreco said she felt like Victorian Taxi Services Commission were taking the situation seriously.

But she said she would like to see the industry implement awareness training around "the history of the country and a sense of respect of Indigenous Australians".

"I said to the commission today, we're here as a resource, we can give you recommendations, we can give you suggestions," she said.

In 2013 Mr Charles was refused a fare in Sydney while performing a show at Belvoir Street Theatre.

"This is a repeated conversation, that happened back in 2013 and it just feels like it's falling on deaf ears, but I'm hoping after this week, that we will see some change," Ms Capogreco said.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The arguments against the innovation are not especially novel.
Dominating these reasons is the claim that the eighteen-year-olds are
simply not mature enough—they have not had time to form mature
political judgments, they may have facts but not perspectives, or they
are simply not "old" enough. Other explanations are more detailed
though less frequent. Some teachers claim that eighteen-year-olds are
too easily influenced by others to cast an independent vote. Another
argument is that they do not have enough information and experience,
while still others say they are not responsible enough at this age.
Finally, it is held by a few that young adults are not interested in voting,
that they would not vote even if they did have the franchise

Pretty much every one of these reasons were put forward as reasons to deny women the vote a century ago. Too easily influenced (by their husbands), not enough information or experience, not responsible enough, not even interested in voting.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I really find it incredibly weird that aboriginals are being discriminated against in victoria because I cant even remember the last time I met one here.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
It's utterly unfair that people should be allowed to vote at 16. I had to wait till I was 18 so they must also. That's only fair. Kids these days only see things from their perspective. Also good luck using this issue to save your miserable corrupt hide Sharten. Resign and ask for a cushy job.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

my theory is most people should be able to walk the ride they're taking a taxi for. Going to be a 6 hour walk, plan your poo poo better)

my theory is that you need to get out of the house and enter the real world nerd

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
If you need a taxi perhaps you should have instead moved to a continent with less urban sprawl

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Jonah Galtberg posted:

my theory is that you need to get out of the house and enter the real world nerd

Where do you think these 6 hour walks happen? It's not on the stair master with your mum that is for sure.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

Where do you think these 6 hour walks happen? It's not on the stair master with your mum that is for sure.

They happen if you're in the city at a gig or a party or a movie that runs late and you just miss the last train

Or if your car's being serviced and you need to get somewhere that's nigh on impossible with public transport

Or if you're too old/sick to drive or catch public transport and :smug: don't have your poo poo together :smug: to have someone handy that can give you a lift

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Jonah Galtberg posted:

They happen if you're in the city at a gig or a party or a movie that runs late and you just miss the last train

Or if your car's being serviced and you need to get somewhere that's nigh on impossible with public transport

Or if you're too old/sick to drive or catch public transport and :smug: don't have your poo poo together :smug: to have someone handy that can give you a lift

I'm currently living in a town with a population of ~400 that gets a bus service twice a week. It works no matter where you are you just got to want it.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Vote 1 LNP

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Why is Indonesia on that list? Why isn't Japan? Japan is one of our biggest import/export partners.
hugh white addressed this in an article for the monthly.
https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2013/june/1370181600/hugh-white/what-indonesia-s-rise-means-australia

Indonesia's economy is growing quite fast. not China fast but still solid. it has a population of almost 250 million, 4th largest in the world. as it modernises its economy will pick up and far surpass ours.

Australian governments except Keating's have tended to think they can ignore Indonesia, or simply make demands in return for aid because we are rich and they are a poor country. in the medium long term, this situation will not continue. as Indonesia grows, its naval defence capabilities increase, making it an obvious choice for an ally.

Japan is currently an important trading partner but it is not the most important strategic relationship for Australia. It is a relationship that requires balance due to the antipathy between Japan and China, but it is not Japan that is going emerge as the predominant power in Asia.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Frogmanv2 posted:

How do you know this?

Turnbull has set out his ideas in a series of carefully argued speeches over the past few years. Four major themes emerge from these speeches.
First, he places great emphasis on the political and strategic significance of the economic rise of Asia, and especially of China. He has called it "the great geopolitical transformation of our time". Other Australian leaders do not see this. Abbott, for example, wrote a few years ago that China's economic growth would have no effect on Australia's foreign policy at all. He still thinks the Anglosphere rules the world, and there is no clear evidence that Labor disagrees with him.
Second, Turnbull recognises that the shifting balance of geopolitical power poses immense challenges to the established, Western-led global order that has suited Australia so well. Just last month, he asked: "How ready are Western nations and Western-dominated multilateral institutions to adapt to a very different distribution of global power than that which they've been used to?"
Third, whereas most Australian leaders are happy to rely on Washington to work out how best to respond to China's rise, Turnbull is not so sure. Although he has described US President Barack Obama's pivot to Asia as "a vitally important stabilising reassuring factor" in the region, he is far from sure it provides the whole answer, or that the US knows what else to do. Indeed, back in 2011, he said Washington seemed "utterly flummoxed" by China's rise.
As a result, Turnbull has argued Australia needs a much more sophisticated and nuanced diplomatic approach of its own to the geopolitical challenges of the Asian century. He has cautioned against "extravagant professions of loyalty and devotion to the United States" and also against "equally extravagant compliments paid to Beijing".
He has, himself, been quite starkly critical of China at times, saying "China needs to be more transparent about its goals in the region", and that "there seems little doubt that the tough line taken [by China] on the disputed islands and reefs has been quite counter-productive".
But what really separates him from the mainstream of Australian politics are his sober reflections on the way we manage our relations with the US. Just a few days after Obama's 2011 pivot speech to our Parliament received a gushing response from Gillard, Turnbull issued this stark warning: "An Australian government needs to be careful not to allow a doe-eyed fascination with the leader of the free world to distract from the reality that our national interest requires us to truly (and not just rhetorically) maintain both an ally in Washington and a good friend in Beijing."
And finally, Turnbull recognises that all this means Australia has to rethink its place in Asia from the ground up. We cannot assume, he has said, that "the strategic and diplomatic posture that served us in the past can and will serve us unchanged in the future; or that it doesn't matter if our strategic and economic messages to our region are somewhat contradictory".

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/malcolm-turnbull-the-man-to-put-australia-on-the-map-20150301-13s8xp#ixzz3q7rBNybi

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Negligent posted:

Turnbull has set out his ideas in a series of carefully argued speeches over the past few years. + :words:

Turnbull has said a lot of poo poo to a lot of people to get the job. What Turnbull does is the important thing and he really is sticking with a huge amount of what NTATA was doing, he's just doing it with a silver tongue. Hope that helps.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

and as for america. the source is Power Shift: Australia's Future between Washington and Beijing Quarterly Essay, No. 39, 2010. its paywalled.

quote:

America emerged from failure in
Vietnam stronger in Asia than ever, because for the fi rst time its position
became uncontested by Asia’s two next-strongest countries, Japan and China.
This was not just an accident of history, but the result of a remarkable
piece of strategic diplomacy by two of the most ambiguous characters in
recent history: Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger. Nixon, advised by
Kissinger, went to Beijing in 1972 and cut a deal with Mao. America
would stop pretending that the nationalist regime in Taiwan was the
government of China and recognise instead the communist government
in Beijing. In return, China would stop contesting America’s position in
Asia and stop supporting communist insurgencies around the region.
Today the deal sounds merely sensible, but at the time it required real
vision and courage from each side. Both had to give up a lot, but both had
a lot to gain. For America, recognising the communists in Beijing was a
huge concession, which only a hard-right Republican like Nixon could
have sold politically. But Nixon knew the only way to get out of Vietnam
was to end the strategic competition with China, which had dragged
America into the war in the fi rst place; furthermore, winning the support
of China against the Soviets would help turn the tide in the Cold War.
Beijing had to relinquish its ambitions to build an empire of communist
satellites in Asia and tone down two decades of anti-US rhetoric. In
return, China got protection against the Soviet Union, insurance against
the risk of a resurgent Japan, breathing space to deal with chaos at home,
and the opportunity to open China economically to the West.
And so the deal was done. Then Japan was brought in; Tokyo had to be
persuaded to remain America’s strategic client and accept America’s new
relationship with China. In return, it got continued protection against the
Soviets, and against China as well. The deal carried real strategic and
political costs for Japan, but also delivered huge benefi ts, as Japan’s
economy enjoyed another twenty years of remarkable growth. Asia’s
middle and smaller powers benefi ted too. When the major powers
stopped competing with one another, they stopped interfering in the
affairs of smaller countries. Left to themselves, the Southeast Asians
fl ourished economically and developed politically, and they built a strong
regional connection in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations
(ASEAN), eventually bringing the war-ravaged countries of Indochina
into the fold

For almost forty years, then, Asia’s strategic stability, political evolution,
regional integration and economic growth have all been underwritten by
the deals struck by China and Japan to accept American leadership. No
country has done better out of this than Australia. Politically we have
been able to enmesh ourselves in Asia while staying close to America,
because America has been welcomed throughout Asia. The stability has
underpinned Australia’s growth by allowing Asia’s manufacturing giants,
and therefore our exports, to boom. Uncontested American primacy has
kept the risk of major confl ict in Asia very low. Australia has faced no calls
to support America against major military threats in Asia, and we have
faced none of our own. That has kept our defence needs modest and our
defence budget low. No wonder we would like things to stay the same.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
sometime si think that infinite love is teh end of all thigns but then i think... :smith:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Orkin Mang posted:

sometime si think that infinite love is teh end of all thigns but then i think... :smith:

I still love you a lot but infinite is too much to ask from one man.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Birb Katter posted:

I still love you a lot but infinite is too much to ask from one man.

u have the avian energies my ffriend....there is no limit excpet when the air stops way up tho. i might get more wine

e: im dio guitar solo drunk but not quite bryan adams drunk

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 31, 2015

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
orkin mang i bring you a gift

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GoldStandardConure posted:

orkin mang i bring you a gift

holy poo poo goddamn. beautiful sunset cocktail bird goddamn u. when im not in a no-pet rental i want to buy a crow. bless u

*im phil collins drunk but not yet bryan adams drunk

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
I am the whisper with which the bang was replaced.

Where is the new thread, you wild pagans!

*This post is endorsed by casked wine, it and I love you all, except for bagratcraig and negligible of course.*

*Alternate time-zones also exist, as I'm reminded, carry on*

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
If there's no new thread in the next hour I'll post a new one while walking home drunk

it will be of poor quality

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
We deserve no more.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the new thread should be resettled in the gas chamber

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
It's November everywhere except QLD and WA. Let's rock this casserole

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
queensland and wa are just spooky stories parents tell their children so that they behave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
This glass of wine is for our Lord and Saviour, Cthulhu Christ.

• Locked thread