Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Yeah, one if the largest issues with the TPP is we just don't know what's in it. What we do know is that it serves the interests of the rich and corporations at the expense of everyone else.

There just doesn't seem to be a pressing need for anything that we do know about it. It seems more like a mechanism for companies to get rid of laws and regulations that stand in the way of them making more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

We also have one of the shortest election cycles in the world.

The fact that the Abbott government got in speaks volumes about Australia.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Parliament will begin sitting on weekends I'm sure.

It has potential to be an election loser, just like Workchoices was. You'd be surprised the % of workers that rely on penalty rates and work a Saturday for that reason. Any cuts first off would likely be to hospitality anyway since they can't stand up for themselves, but most would see it as an attack on the rest.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Pretty sure penalty rates have been around since the early 1900's. We are, well we were, ahead of the world on workplace laws favoring workers. It was until the late 70's that individual bargaining even became a thing.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The focus would be on hospitality/retail as who's going to stand up for them. Once you've established a precedent it becomes easier to force it onto other areas. Nurses/police/paramedics etc would probably be excepted as they have stronger unions, but I wouldn't be surprised if their rates were slowed long term.

Kinda like how casual workers were going to usher in a new era of flexibility.

Nibbles! fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 6, 2015

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Aren't the majority of Bendigo ok with it? I remember reading the majority support it, especially businesses.

Weren't the anti-mosque lot bussing people in to bolster numbers?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Les Affaires posted:

Really the only way to justify this is if the expected increase in profit for these companies plus the increased (or unchanged) economic activity from the workers affected results in a comparable tax take because if not, yeah it's pretty counterproductive for the economy.

Crikey today has a piece about penalty rates and how if any changes lead to an overall suppression of wages then that will further dampen the economy because the vast majority of people on penalty rates spend their entire wage and recirculate it back into the economy.

It's removal by stealth. If they change it to a tax credit situation then down the road they can simply lower or remove it far easier than it is to get legislation through removing them in the first place.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I wonder if there's a staffer right now hitting ctrl+f on decades old speeches and replacing 'Asians' with 'Muslims'.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Ahh Yes posted:

I'm ignorant here, but the abc and other media outlets, blur out faces of civilians involved in court cases in certain circumstances, not just children who have specific protection for obvious reasons.

I remember that ranga Muslim convert who married off his 12 year old daughter could request to have his face blurred, but that might relate to specific broadcasting obligations media organisations have to follow or a legal mechanism to enforce privacy for the defendant.

But then that meth head who killed a lot of puppies did not have his face hidden by the media, instead he had his own form of privacy by wearing a jumper over his head exposing his baby bump. And if I were him I would probably not want the Australian public to know my ugly face.

Parties in matters involving children or sexual matters are hidden to avoid the child or victim being identified.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

4 Corners did a story on this back in April.

quote:

As Federal Government funding for universities has declined, Vice-Chancellors have been forced to look elsewhere to fill the void.

And for much of the past two decades, they've been tapping into a booming market - full fee-paying overseas students.

Right now the country's 40 universities are pulling in billions of dollars from students who are desperate for a degree from an Australian university and the possibility of a job and permanent residency.

But to ensure a steady flow of students from overseas, universities have had to ensure their entry requirements are sufficiently low.

This week, reporter Linton Besser also provides alarming evidence of corruption among the network of overseas agents who tout for business on universities' behalf.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

quote:

If you want accurate descriptors where religion all of a sudden becomes so important, fine, but then call out atheists for what they are – atheists. And that never happens, does it Michael?

Probably because those atheist politicians don't use it as a basis for denying rights to others.

It's pretty lol that they want to spend tens of millions of dollars on a plebiscite that, if successful, will only allow for a conscious vote that can freely ignore the result anyway.

Fiscal responsibility.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I see helmets as more the symptom with lovely Australian drivers been the cause.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

*16yo wants to vote* "they're too young they don't understand the world"

*16yo commits a crime* "they are adults treat them like one"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

A 16yo can't know what is best for the country as they don't understand complex political narrative like "stop the boats", "carbon tax" and "labor waste".

• Locked thread