Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Is the thread title meant to be clever in a way I didn't get because the original quote is with a whimper

T.S. Eliot 4lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

I'm not the only one extremely uncomfortable with the fact that the media seem to be 100% ok with an adult policeman gunning down a 15 year old ostensibly because that's the only 'safe' way they have of stopping someone with a gun, right?

Also this:
"“We believe that his actions were politically motivated and therefore linked to terrorism,” Scipione told reporters in Sydney on Saturday." From http://gu.com/p/4dxg7/sbl

A loving fifteen year old?? It beggars belief that a kid could be reasonably expected to have any kind of credible opinion about his own rear end let alone politics. Surely.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

I don't disagree. Obviously there was no winning for any side in this scenario, all said and done, least until more details emerge. I'm not saying there should have been some kind of hostage negotiator magic movie rescue scenario.

I just have the sinking feeling that the patina of 'politically-motivated TERRORISM' could potentially be used to whitewash this and any other further scenarios that conceivably could contain elements of police negligence to completely justify the use of any force. As in, just because a brown Muslim was involved, child or not, noone is going to ask the difficult questions or ask about the finer details, everything's fair game, South Park-esque blow away anything that looks threatening it'll be a-OK. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

Redcordial posted:

Tonight's Q&A is quite decent to be honest, the couple 1950's assimilation questions were some nice laughs, top notch.

Bandt didn't point out the time when it came to the lower house to view on indefinite detention all but Wilkie and himself voted for it. Made me seethe that the comment that the Greens were complicit somehow in indefinite offshore detention of children was allowed to stand.

• Locked thread