Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Birb Katter posted:

It should also be noted that Hockey is managing to come out of this whole thing quite well considering how well he did in his actual job.

:itwaspoo:

In that he's completely disappeared off the face of the earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
#baeofpigs is better

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If only the well-known businessman didn't have to disclose his corporate tax payments the kidnappers would never have known he was rich and that young girl may still be alive today :smdh:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Malcolm Turnbull disputes claim of Liberal party exodus

Prime minister Malcolm Turnbull is asked to respond to Senator Eric Abetz’s claim that ‘hundreds of branch members are resigning from the Liberal party’ because of the leadership coup. Speaking reporters at Parliament House in Canberra, Turnbull says he does not want to ‘comment on party matters’ but also that the party membership is ‘very happy with the transition’

video
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/video/2015/oct/01/malcolm-turnbull-disputes-liberal-party-resignations-eric-abetz-video

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bowmore posted:

very sneaky way to get people's emails

still not smart enough to flag fart@butt.com as fake

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tommofork posted:

Yeah he was dangerous because hardly anyone called him on his bullshit and as opposition leader he had no real responsibilities other than to kick, scream and point fingers which is what he does best.

Once the Murdoch press is over it's conniption they'll either have to start pointing out his bullshit or let him undermine the LNP.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Amoeba102 posted:

My jokes never seem to get rated well.

I liked your joke.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hashhag ‏@vviivviieennnne 5h5 hours ago
@nazeem_hussain How about not trying to raise your profile with this tragedy. We get it- your Muslim. And to most of us it's irrelevant.

ILoveAus2 ‏@ILoveAus2 3h3 hours ago
Misinformed @MariamVeiszadeh plays the the 'race card'.
"I didn't go asking my white friends if they knew who #OregonShooting gunman was"

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tithin posted:

Tell that to a woman who got raped and is pregnant with her rapists kid.

I guess 'crime' is one of those social problems that we haven't yet solved.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What a bloody drongo

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Not the full quid

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Face like a dropped pie

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Proactive reactionary conservatism

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I hope we aren't so distracted by this thing to be too distracted by that last thing that we were distracted by; the thing that was distracting so we won't remember to not be distracted by the original thing that reminded us to not be distracted by the thing that we were meant to be distracted by because that would distract us from the lovely thing that they were about to use as a distraction from their original purpose.

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 4, 2015

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dcfadp is definitely something that is not distracting

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BBJoey posted:

The cyberpunk dystopia is now.and we don't even get any cool cybergear.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Solemn Sloth posted:

Do not try and save the middle class. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no middle class.

Guess that explains why it always seems to bend towards whichever political party is wielding it.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Revealed: How I saw Farhad Jabar change a week before he became a killer

In his last weeks, Farhad Jabar started skipping school. Most mornings, in his school uniform, he would turn up alone to Parramatta mosque. That’s where Isaac first saw him.

“I attend the mosque on a daily basis as I’m walking to work. In the morning it’s quite empty,” Isaac says. “In the last two or three months I noticed this young person.”

A week after the death of Curtis Cheng, students at Arthur Phillip High School have remembered Jabar as quietly devout, a talented basketballer and a friendly but private classmate.

But what drove the teenager – a timid, withdrawn 15-year-old with no history of violence – remains a mystery.

Isaac, who asked for his real name to be withheld after calls by rightwing groups for attacks on Muslims, agreed to share with Guardian Australia his impressions of the young man he met in the mosque that day, and got to know over the next few months, until a “bizarre, concerning” final encounter a fortnight ago.

Jabar, in his school uniform, “stuck out” in Parramatta mosque the first morning he met Isaac. “He was just hanging out there, reading books, praying,” he says.

“It was 9am, he should have been in school … It’s not normal behaviour to isolate yourself.”

Their first encounters were frosty, but gradually the 15-year-old opened up. “He told me things weren’t going well at school, he wasn’t interested in school any more, that he was being bullied. He said he didn’t like it any more. He wasn’t interested because he wasn’t feeling good.

“He spoke about it with a sense of sorrow,” he says.

Isaac became concerned about the boy’s mental health. “Sometimes he would be quite bubbly. Sometimes he would be quite withdrawn. And those are typical signs of all sorts of mental health conditions, especially young people,” Isaac says.

“I presented my concerns to psychologists and other professionals and got some feedback. And the feedback was, these were depressive symptoms, these were symptoms of trauma, of anxiety.”

On Wednesday Isaac was still struggling to make sense of the killing of 58-year-old Curtis Cheng, a crime he said was “absolutely horrific”. He is haunted by the image of the boy, in traditional Islamic garb, waving a gun and strutting before the New South Wales police headquarters in Parramatta.

“It was a shock to the core,” he said. “[Jabar] was soft-spoken, really gentle, you got a really innocent boy-like feeling about him.

“[Friday] was the first time I’ve ever seen him in the tradition Islamic clothing. Just his mannerisms in terms of pacing up and down, trying to pump himself up, I’d never seen that sort of behaviour from him.”

In the past few weeks Isaac felt he had begun to make progress with Jabar. They arranged to have a hot chocolate. Isaac wanted to set him on the right path.

“I told him, I know you’re not happy at school, but what do you want to do with your life? I have all sorts of connections I can hook you up with. If you want to work, if you want to get into a trade, if you want to get into external study, let’s talk about it.”

He says his last encounter with Jabar, one week before the killing, was “bizarre, concerning”.

“Over the period of time that I got to know him he would greet me with a handshake followed by a hug. And he was generally always alone.

“But the last time I saw him he was with four males sitting down on the mosque floor, who I hadn’t seen before. And he saw me, but pretended not to see me, just gave me the cold shoulder.

“So I went over to the group, said to them Salaam Alaikum, peace be upon you. And he shook my hand, then brushed me off and the rest of the group didn’t respond,” he said.

“That’s a big deal in the Islamic faith. One of the rights you have upon a fellow Muslim is to greet them with the best greeting. But he responded really coldly. I got the sense he didn’t want the others to know we had an interaction going on.”

He discovered that Jabar was behind Friday’s shooting on Saturday, when photos of the teenager first circulated. “Honestly, it was as if my heart dropped. I was lost for words,” he says.

He is bitter about the way Parramatta mosque has been “dragged through the mud” in the past week. The prayer hall is known for its emphasis on community service, and he says the sermons are deeply spiritual and inspiring.

“They lift you up as a human, you could never draw any negative connotations from them. You could never draw any connection between what’s preached and anyone getting a radical idea.”

He had seen Jabar as a young man looking to be guided. “He was so vulnerable and so mentally confused or unwell that he was so easily susceptible to any figure of acceptance or group acceptance,” he says.

“As a young person growing up in Australia, especially if you’re of an ethnic background, what are you looking for? Acceptance, identity.”

Isaac says mental illness is still poorly understood within some Muslim communities, as it is in many other parts of society.

“[We] need to understand the religious and cultural implications that mental health has. A young Muslim person battling depression isn’t going to go out and talk about it.

“It’s seen as something, within the context of the community, it doesn’t feed into the notion of being a man, of being resilient.”

Isaac has passed what he knows to authorities. He is helping to organise a conference on mental health in an Islamic cultural context, work that has now taken on a new significance.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/08/farhad-jabar-troubled-soft-spoken-boy-turned-into-killer

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Australia did not require Nauru to detain asylum seekers, high court told

Australia did not require Nauru to detain asylum seekers sent to the small Pacific nation for processing and any such limits on their movement had to comply with local law, government lawyers have told the high court.

Australia’s solicitor general, Justin Gleeson SC, disputed assertions by lawyers for a Bangladeshi asylum seeker that Canberra was effectively responsible for the detention of people it transferred to Nauru because it paid for their temporary visas and funded the processing centre.

But Gleeson argued that even if the high court made such a finding, the actions were authorised by retrospective changes to the Migration Act that the Australian parliament passed in June, a month after the plaintiff initiated her case.

“It’s belts and braces; it’s parliament looking at what the executive [government] is doing saying, ‘If you need our permission you have it,’” he told the court during a hearing in Canberra on Thursday.

Gleeson said parliament had passed the legislation “in order to ensure that at least this aspect of the case didn’t trouble the court”.

He was addressing the full bench of the high court on the second day of a hearing into a case that challenges the legality of Australia’s involvement in the detention of asylum seekers in Nauru and the validity of the Australian government’s contract with the processing centre operator Transfield Services.

The result could have broader implications for the future of Australia’s system of offshore processing, which has support from the main political parties, but a decision could be months away.

The lead case involves a Bangladeshi woman who was on a boat intercepted by Australian officers in October 2013 and was detained on Nauru from January 2014 until August 2014, when she was brought to Australia for medical treatment and subsequently gave birth to a child. The baby is now 10 months old.

The woman’s lawyers argued on Wednesday that the Australian government had “funded, authorised, procured and effectively controlled” the detention on Nauru, but this was not authorised by a valid Australian law or section 61 of the constitution.

They were seeking to prevent her return to Nauru, saying there remained a risk she would be detained there because the new “open centre” arrangements announced by the local government could be revoked at any time.

Gleeson, who began his oral arguments late on Wednesday but continued to address the court on Thursday, sought to rebut the argument about the extent of Australia’s involvement. At most, he said, the court could find that there was “substantial funding and assistance by Australia in various steps which enable Nauru to carry out its law on its soil”.

The solicitor general said Nauru was a sovereign state that could not be bound to accept people Australia transferred to the island. He conceded that an application for Nauru’s special regional processing visa could only be made by an Australian officer but Nauru determined whether to accept it and what conditions to impose.

When the chief justice, Robert French, suggested that the visa “didn’t come out of the sky”, Gleeson replied that the critical point was that Australia did not determine the conditions.

Gleeson denied the plaintiff’s arguments that detention on Nauru could be described as arbitrary, saying it was associated with the purpose of processing refugee claims and, if successful, people would “graduate to a temporary settlement visa”.

Nauru had the power to relax the requirements for people to remain in the processing centre, he said. “If an Australian official purported to give a direction to a service provider to reject a request to leave the premises the service provider would be entitled to say, ‘I’m exercising a power pursuant to Nauruan law and that must be my guiding touchstone, not simply the dictates of Australia.’”

French asked whether the commonwealth, in the implementation of the arrangements, could be taken to provide “material support necessary for the establishment and maintenance of a detention regime”.

Gleeson said: “The short answer to that is yes.”

Referring to security restraints, Gleeson said: “Our position is it’s a restraint imposed by Nauru capable of relaxation by persons Nauru chooses who operate as Nauru functionaries.”

Gleeson acknowledged the Transfield contract contained references to Australian laws and policies, but added: “Anything the commonwealth and Transfield might agree is naturally subject to the overriding force of the laws of Nauru.”

Transfield’s lawyers were due to give evidence to the court on Thursday in defence of the validity of the contract.

The case began with an application filed on 14 May for an order to prevent the immigration minister, Peter Dutton, from taking steps to return the Bangladeshi woman to Nauru.

In June the Australian government – then led by Tony Abbott – rushed legislation through the federal parliament to retrospectively clarify the commonwealth’s powers to fund regional processing centres.

The legislation – which won support from the Labor party – inserted a new section into the Migration Act, backdated to August 2012, saying the commonwealth may “take, or cause to be taken, any action in relation to” regional processing arrangements.

The new section, known as 198AHA, also declared the commonwealth could “make payments, or cause payments to be made, in relation to the arrangement or the regional processing functions of the country” or “do anything else that is incidental or conducive to the taking of such action or the making of such payments”.

leeson told the court on Thursday the new provisions were designed to satisfy the requirements that arose from the so-called Williams case, which related primarily to the federal government’s funding of school chaplaincy but had broader implications.

“Namely, it works on a theory that it would be within the executive power under section 61 of the constitution for the executive to decide, as it were, to enter the arrangement in the first place,” he said.

“Here is parliament saying, ‘You may go ahead and do everything you need to perform that arrangement which you’ve considered appropriate to enter.’”

Gleeson emphasised that although the legislation gave the Australian government the capacity and authority to undertake such actions, it could not override Nauruan law.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/08/australia-did-not-require-nauru-to-detain-asylum-seekers-high-court-told

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
another thing

Victoria police will guard mosques after warnings about rightwing protests

Fringe groups plan return to push anti-mosque sentiment in Bendigo and elsewhere as part of ‘global anti-mosque protest day’ on Saturday

Victoria police will step up security around mosques and have advised worshippers to give notice of any community events at the weekend, amid warnings they will be targeted for protests by rightwing groups.

Fringe groups including the United Patriots Front are planning to return to Bendigo on 10 October for protests against plans to build a mosque in the town.

more.
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/08/victoria-police-will-guard-mosques-after-warnings-about-rightwing-protests

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
$150 million

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
We spend billions of dollars to build artificial islands for them.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Senor Tron posted:

Today should get better once we see photos of Abbott and Hockey sitting together in the back bench.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Liberal Russell Broadbent calls for end to 'unacceptable' detention of children

Liberal backbencher Russell Broadbent has thrown down the gauntlet to his own side of politics by labelling the indefinite detention of asylum seeker children “unacceptable”.

Broadbent told ABC Radio on Monday morning that public opinion has shifted on the indefinite detention of asylum seekers, warning that politicians must keep up.

“Long-term indefinite detention is not good enough in this country. It always comes to this; I knew it would come to this. It’s come to this again. The Australian people standing up and saying nup, not on. Not in our country,” he said.

“Indefinite detention is not acceptable, we’ve been through this before,” the backbencher said. “Women and children in detention behind razor wire in this country or locked away on an island is unacceptable.”

more:
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/12/liberal-russell-broadbent-calls-for-end-to-unacceptable-detention-of-children

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There is no maximum window for the ATO to investigate if they suspect you're doing something dodgy.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Had to check this wasn't a from parody site before posting:

Bob Katter to spearhead attempt to overturn ban on rapid-action shotgun

Queensland independent MP Bob Katter is seeking to overturn a temporary federal government ban on the import of a new rapid-action shotgun and says he is so worried about the erosion of Australians’ ability to own firearms he bought a bow and arrow.

But Labor is demanding the Coalition broaden the ban, put in place while federal and state governments review Australia’s post-Port Arthur gun laws.

The main importer of the Adler 110, which the Coalition has banned for one year, was Katter’s son-in-law Robert Noia.

Katter said he had always been “philosophically pro-gun” and was “not going to be intimidated out of doing something just because [Noia] and I are related.”

more:
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/12/bob-katter-to-spearhead-attempt-to-overturn-ban-on-rapid-action-shotgun

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Being Australian gave me street cred at a neo-Nazi rally in Germany

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Australia won't be blackmailed by pregnant asylum seekers: Dutton

Peter Dutton rules out transferring pregnant asylum seekers from Nauru to Australia

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has ruled out transferring a group of pregnant asylum seekers from Nauru to Australia, despite the women reportedly refusing medical treatment.

It is understood that seven pregnant asylum seekers are refusing medical treatment on the island as they urge the Turnbull Government to bring them to Australia.

Mr Dutton said Australia helped pay for refurbishments at the Nauru hospital but he would not agree to transfer the women, telling 2GB the Government would not "be taken for mugs".

"The racket that's been going here is that people at the margins come to Australia from Nauru," he said.

"We can't send them back to Nauru and there are over 200 people in that category."

Mr Dutton said the Government had provided $11 million for a hospital within the regional processing centre as well as $26 million to help refurbish the Nauruan hospital.

He said transfers to the international hospital in Papua New Guinea were also available if sufficient treatment on Nauru was not available.

"If people believe that they're going to somehow try to blackmail us into an outcome to come to Australia by saying we're not going to have medical assistance," he said.

"We're not going to bend to that pressure. I believe very strongly that we need to take a firm stance."

Ian Rintoul from the Refugee Action Coalition voiced concerns for the women, stating that Nauru was not equipped to deal with complicated births.

"One of the asylum seeker women due to give birth has a diabetic pregnancy that Nauru cannot safely manage," he said in a statement.

"Every birth is a potentially a life-threatening situation for mother and baby. When there are complications the risk is even higher.

"The onus is on the Government to provide proper medical care for a safe birth."

Mr Dutton's comments come a day after he introduced legislation to tighten requirements for asylum seekers applying for protection.

If passed, he said the existence of a consistent pattern of mass violation of human rights would not meet the threshold.

People will also be denied protection if they could "take reasonable steps" to modify their behaviour, unless that behaviour was "fundamental" to their identity.

Comment has been sought from Opposition immigration spokesman Richard Marles and Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-15/peter-dutton-rules-out-transferring-pregnant-asylum-seekers/6856708

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah but the front didn't fall off

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Turnbull Secures Highly Influential CrossFit Vote With 120KG Power Clean

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah but the messaging has changed or something

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Money well spent

Refugee transferred to Cambodia in multi-million dollar deal with Australia returns to Myanmar

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Orkin Mang posted:

i wish i had cancer :(

This should do it

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The better Skinner related experiment was when they gave rats a button that would stimulate their limbic system to give them pleasure:

"...they allowed the rats to press the stimulation lever themselves, to the effect that they would press it as much as seven-hundred times per hour...
Rats in Skinner boxes with metal electrodes implanted into their nucleus accumbens will repeatedly press a lever which activates this region, and will do so in preference over food and water, eventually dying from exhaustion."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleasure_center

e. another odd one was the Mouse Utopia experiment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Garret should charge the LNP for services rendered because I cant think of anyone in recent memory who has poisoned the concept of grass roots representation more thoroughly than that bald dingus.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What better group to join if you wanted to stomp a minority group into the ground than literal Nazis?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tommofork posted:

Any left wing group that gets into bash the fash?

I'm not sure I'd count them as a minority nowadays

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
He fixed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Uh I read it fine like 15 minutes ago.
Do they just throw things behind paywalls at random?

• Locked thread