Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Cartoon posted:

Well in the ten million example I believe the xenophobe in question was taking general immigration and trying to suggest it would reduce our social safety net. I claim (regardless of the numbers, and 10 million is probably a bit silly, again not my starting point) that this is dumb as poo poo and offered a google string to assist in gaining an understanding. I don't think there was a timeline included in the original claim however so don't conclude one year is in anyway related to the total number suggested.

Here let me Google that for you:

"Completely unprecedented" Complete bollocks more like it.

http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/changing-face-of-modern-australia-1950s-to-1970s

http://www.sbs.com.au/gold/story.php?storyid=49

General educational information

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-21/carvalho-why-migrants-may-be-our-greatest-economic-asset/6409042

Now what a total sustainable population for Australia is, what a sensible rate of population growth is and what immigration level is necessary to continue the consumerist poo poo pool we all know and love are all interesting questions. The proposition that :supaburn: more immigration :supaburn: is bad for the disadvantaged is not well founded and would probably only be possible if we kept doing socially regressive things like this current mob of substantially white male clowns are.

The xenophobe in question likes how you are conveniently ignoring the fact that in the time periods you mentioned we had not social safety net, but carry on.

I'm in no way claiming the migration, even from poor countries, even in much larger numbers than what we currently have would be beneficial in the long term. I firmly believe that Germany will be reaping the benefits of its 1 million incoming migrants in about 10 years or so. But you muppets are advocating just throwing the borders open to anyone who wants to come. Cue lots of people from very poor countries immediately coming over, because why wouldn't you? If you think we could sustain our standard of living over the immediate thirty years or so if that happened, then you're as dumb as your posts suggest.

Basically you've taken this extreme ideological anarchist position about how borders are evil and turned it into a dumb as gently caress policy head fart. But who cares what I think, clearly I hate foreign people so so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Looks like AFP Commissioner Tony Negus has a firm grasp of which party is in power.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/01/bronwyn-bishop-will-not-face-charges-over-helicopter-flights

Letting Bronnie off the hook for 5000$ while killing Peter Slipper for a mere few hundred. gently caress da police yo.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So not only are we treating refugees worse than other countries are, it's costing us more.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/01/australian-immigration-detention-costs-double-that-of-us-and-europe-report

I guess all that rape torture and murder is expensive. :shrug:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Anidav posted:

One of these days, Bill Shorten is going to fix this.

By standing down as leader of the opposition.

Nah, I don't think anyone in the Labor party has the guts or conscience to lead on this issue. I mean, they lose less politically by putting refugees in camps than they do by treating them like human beings and letting the Libs prey on the middle class voters' worst instincts. Bottom line is being decent to refugees is just not something the vast majority in this country care about. I don't think most people are happy about the camps, but they don't care enough to put the issue ahead of anything else. In short they just don't give a gently caress about the browns.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Endman posted:

I hope you guys have a doctor that bulk bills, because cold and flu medication might be prescription only soon. :shepface:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/all-codeinecontaining-medications-could-be-prescriptiononly-from-next-year-20151001-gjzdex.html

Only the stuff with codeine in it, there's plenty of effective medicine without codeine you could take. I personally think it should all be prescription only, it's the big supermarkets and the Chemists guild that are preventing that from happening. Paracetamol overdose is a lot more common than people think. Liver transplant anyone?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

I guess in theory they could try and time the burst so it happens when some other part of the economy is strong enough to lessen the blow. For instance removing negative gearing at the peak of the mining boom would have done bugger all damage to the economy. More likely they'll just try and keep it simmering away for as long as they are in government and hope that the poo poo hits the fan while the other party is in power.

I don't know how they can cool it off gently at this point. With so many investors in it for the capital gains, as soon as it looks like a permanent decline in house prices because of structural changes like revoking negative gearing they'll be selling up as quick as they can to get their money into something else. I can't see how that will lead to any outcome other than a crash. Even if negative gearing is removed for new investments only, that takes away a big part of what is driving prices higher so you still get the same scenario of people cashing out because house prices have peaked and can only decline from that point on.

While you make some good points, a counter to that is that there aren't too many investments that are yielding good returns right now. Straight up deposits are worthless, bonds are dead, some at negative returns, we all saw what happened to the stock market, so while negative gearing will definitely hit, I'm not sure the impact will be so bad.
Furthermore, I don't personally think we have a bubble as such that is going to burst with a big drop in prices. I think it's more likely that prices will drop a bit and/or stagnate. We don't have blocks upon blocks of apartments that are going to stand empty like in Europe, our housing market is still dominated by population growth, land scarcity and the psychological demand for owning a house that is so ingrained in this country. In other words, I think our high prices are driven mostly by market fundamentals, and only then frothed further by low interest and tax incentives for investors.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

xPanda posted:

Also, the dose of codeine in those is sub therapeutic and can really only make you constipated. As you said, addiction to codeine leads to a lot of paracetamol overdose. Finally, gently caress the pharmacy guild.

Unfortunately, it's not only codeine addiction that leads to paracetamol overdose. People are fuckwits, and there are enough fuckwits so that every couple of days one or more of them end up in ED with an overdose. My head was really hurting so I took 6 and then it was hurting again two hours later so I took another 6 because it was really hurting, oh, and guess what I did two hours later when it was hurting again?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

bowmore posted:

Obviously you guys who haven't had codeine in a long time and don't see why people need it haven't had a migraine or a bad tooth ache for a while.

So now you'll have to get a prescription for Panadeine, and as a bonus, the doctor will give you one for Panadeine Forte, so what's the big deal? People aren't sensible enough to be able to buy this poo poo off the selves, this is a fact.

Until our refugee policy graduates from mere rape and torture to organ harvesting, we need to protect our liver supply.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Why do you manage to be so consistently wrong that you make Amethyst look like a genius of our times

Idiot detected!

Care to point out where I'm wrong or do you just revel in sniping around like a moron with a superiority complex? Also, while I don't always agree with Amethyst, I find his posts to be on a whole level higher than yours. You too, can gently caress off.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

freebooter posted:

It means people with chronic pain issues now need to regularly visit their GP for scripts which will tie up the health system and waste doctors' time. It's not the government's job to protect people from themselves and it's a stupid loving rule change.

No it doesn't, people with chronic pain are not likely to be self medicating anyway, and if they are that's a very bad thing. They are more likely to be under a pain management plan from their GP, and be taking either stronger opioids, e.g. Endone, or neuropathic non opioids that reduce the addiction risk in the first place.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

There are still investments that are making money though, there are always stocks that go up when everything else goes down, there's volatility funds etc. What I think will happen is the initial stagnation or slow decline will accelerate as investors realise that there are no more capital gains to be made. Put yourself in their shoes for a second. If you have an investment that cannot go up in value any more are you going to hold on to it for any longer than you have to? Probably not, you'd cash out and find somewhere else to put your money.

There is actually a large over supply of apartments in Melbourne. People built thousands of them but no one wants to live there. Houses not so much though. I think the lack of housing oversupply simply means that the price will never reach rock bottom, but the premium people currently pay for a house's value as an investment will evaporate which will probably bring the price back to what it was before the negative gearing/CGT combo was introduced.

Yeah you're right, I guess I don't disagree with you as much as I hope it's not as bad as that. I don't know about the situation in Melbourne in regards to flats, but here in Sydney, while there may be an oversupply there isn't this block after block of empty apartments you saw in Europe. I guess I'm hoping it doesn't come crashing down, that some investors stay with their properties and try to make money out of them rather than sell in a fire sale. NSW's economy is currently heavily driven by construction and if it doesn't come down softly, we don't really have much else going on here, what with the financial sector offshoring jobs at a huge rate and the govt cutting the public service.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

This is all very silly. No one put paracetamol and ibuprofen in codeine to make it dangerous. Both paracetamol and ibufprofen are effective in treating common low level pain. Oh and paracetamol is not an NSAID. A lot of bullshit being thrown around in this argument with very little relation to fact.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I thought that was Kevin Andrews nursing the baby.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Inge posted:

You know I've always wondered why they even bother with 500mg / 8mg preparations. Not too sure about any synergystic effects between the two.

Also, are you a pharmacist? The dosage instructions on tablet packets seem to be kind of dumb. Who are they for? Because I imagine there's some standard model, and the analgesic dosage for a 50kg person is probably not the same as a 90kg person.

On a lot of baby medicines they have a mL / kilogram kind of thing going on, which seems like a better way to dose (something like one tablet per 30kgs body weight). Why don't they do this?

Genuinely curious about this.

Anecdotally, if I use codeine at all, I have 3 tablets of 12.8mg and 1.5g paracetamol which seems to work quite well, better than 2 tablets or paracetamol alone (maybe placebo?), and my GP seemed ok with it.

The dosing has a big safety margin built into it. Last time we went overseas, we were in Spain and bought some generic Ibuprofen. It came as single 600mg pills which is 1.5 times the recommended 2x200mg dose we have here. I asked my wife (she's the one who actually knows what I'm writing about) and she said it was perfectly safe. Also, most medication is given using ml/kg in a hospital setting but it's deemed too hard for the general population. There's no choice but to do it with babies since there's such a huge variance in weights (i.e. a 90kg person weighs only about 30% more than a 70kg person, but a 10kg baby is twice the weight of a 5kg one and that difference can happen in a few months not to mention it's a baby. Fact is that even with those safety margins, paracetamol overdoses are common and in many cases life threatening.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

That skin crawling, creepy wink when the sex worker called the radio show.

What an execrable excuse for a human being. I'm really happier since he's gone, even if the Libs do end up winning, we've finally rid ourselves of a properly evil person.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Negligent posted:

I think that wink was meant to to say "it's okay, no need to terminate the call" rather than what you're reading into it which seems to be something like a knowing snigger between two men?

You can't be serious. *I was reading into it?* me and about everyone else in the world.

I mean you're plumbing new depths here mate, really....

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

He certainly over states how good we are and romanticised some things, but it's undeniable that as hosed up as our political system is, it's still much much better than the US.

Almost all our federal districts are contestable, there are very few safe seats in the long run, while in the US, 90% of seats have their real contest in the respective party's primary. The Abbott govt was a good example of a US - style ideological govt and was rejected by the Australian public.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm sure all the kids in immigration detention will be relieved to hear that we value human life and choose to think the best of people rather than treating them with undue suspicion.

Key words here being Human and People. Once we started demonising them they stopped being either in the eyes of most of the population which then legitimised our brutal regime of rape and torture.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Anidav posted:

Dear Cartoon, I am in NZ now but I did get a photo of this boarder force tape that is in all 3 of the international checkpoints we had to get pulled over on.

Your tax dollars at work.

Flags and posters were also present.

It's just a rebranding of the existing stuff right? I mean that's the least of the issues with border farce, govt agencies rebrand all the time. Were they all carrying guns now and being all officious or was it pretty much the same as before? I really hope our airports don't become like the US.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

To tie together a few things, have a read of an article Abbott wrote about his time in the seminary, and why he left (it was because the Church kept trying to help people)

Nice find! Once again he made my skin crawl the way he talks about the church as She. He really is a creep, isn't he?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Chiwie posted:

You're a oval office. Cops are still people.

Not all of them. What about K9 units huh?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Pred1ct posted:

Apparently Newman just wrote a biography in which he is very, very bitter about being voted out.

Edit: to expand - http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/02/campbell-newman-calls-media-pack-of-bastards-over-his-treatment-as-premier

And yet, compared to Abbott he comes across as retrospective and full of insight into his own failings (very very little, but compared to Abbott, heaps).

Funny thing about Tony. Usually when people pass that way, the general timbre of discussion about them starts being more positive, people like to highlight the good things, don't speak ill of the dead, etc. But with Tones, as time passes he firms in the mind as a real, actual piece of poo poo. There are not enough gently caress yous in the world.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

ABC is reporting that the police shooting was by a radicalised middle eastern youth. Tony must be cursing the gods for not making it happen a few weeks ago. It's a good job we're bombing in Syria because that's going to solve the problem for sure!

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Negligent posted:

why is a crime committed by a juvenile being treated as terrorism instead of a mental health and gun control problem its so dumb

e: gently caress my keyboard

Because there's nothing to be gained from treating it as mental health/societal and everything to be gained by treating it as terrorism (well, unless you consider prevention of recurrence a gain, in which case you're dumb).

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

BARBARIC CULTURAL PRACTICES :getin:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Amoeba102 posted:

You don't even have to work weekends personally to have weekend work mess with your life. Having a partner that worked Saturdays was bad enough.

This exactly! It's not only about the money, it fucks up your life. My wife is a relatively highly paid shift worker and we would gladly lose all that extra penalty money in exchange for her only having to work Mon-Fri.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Smudgie Buggler posted:

The Liberal Party was founded in 1945 and Zionists were responsible for neither World War. Was your post satirical/ironic in some way I'm missing, because it seems really inappropriately preoccupied with Zionism.

Don't you know that the Jews have been running the show since the 19th century? I mean it's written right there in the protocols.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

drat Jews killed the forums too!

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Anidav posted:

Yes but why aren't these words coming from an opposition mp?

Anna Burke has spoken about this many times.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Lid posted:

So Garrett is on the record as preferring Howard to insane Rudd.

Garrett should have stuck to singing. He was an idiot politician and way out of his depth. Doesn't mean he's wrong about Rudd though, and not to say Rudd's wrong saying he just wants to sell his book. Basically, a poo poo sandwich.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

If anyone's still feeling good today, read this:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/heal...012-gk6t62.html

quote:

Western Sydney paediatrician and University of Sydney professor David Isaacs told Fairfax how the father of one of his tiny patients, a toddler aged nearly three, tried to kill himself after learning his son's tuberculosis had been cured.

The reason? When Professor Isaacs delivered the good news, he also had to deliver the bad: the family were asylum seekers and the man, his wife and son would likely now be woken in the middle of the night, the parents handcuffed and the family sent to Nauru.

There should be Nurnberg trials for people who cooperate with this atrocious immigration policy, mandatory sentencing for anyone who made a buck off this poo poo. gently caress this government.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I'm surprised no-one's tried to apply that logic to asylum seekers in detention.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Halo14 posted:

Baffles me how people can be so patriotic about their country. I really don't give a gently caress about nationalism.

This has nothing to do with patriotism and everything to do with hate and fear.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Gorbash posted:

Yes, it does.

If anyone wants to relive a time when things were terrible in a different way, the Museum of Australian Democracy will be live tweeting a reenactment of the Dismissal over the next few weeks. This is your chance to find out what John Kerr would say in 140 characters I guess?

Got mine, gently caress you,

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

How naive is it of me to hope that Shorten resigns for the good of the party? Very or Extremely?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

open24hours posted:

I'm still shocked that no one seems to mind that Andrew Forest apparently wrote an unsolicited report on welfare reform and, despite him having absolutely no credibility and there being hundreds (thousands?) of actual welfare academics recommending the exact opposite, his is the one that gets taken seriously. I mean I know the government isn't really motivated by evidence, but they're not even pretending this time.

Are you kidding? Andrew Forrest and his companies have been recipients of govt welfare for years. He's an expert.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

freebooter posted:

I still can't decide whether it's depressing or heartening that you can basically literally just grab any old bloke off the street, make them a Senator, and they'll turn out to be a more decent, conscientious and fair-minded person than any member of Labour or the coalition.

I think many of the same people (i.e. Labor/Coalition) would vote differently if they weren't bound by their parties' power structures.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Remember that face for the crimes against humanity trials.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

They aren't.

Nothing at all in Australian law requires them to vote with party policy they think is evil. Nothing in Australian law requires them to vote in line with any party policy.

All they potentially lose is the little [liberal] or [labor] tag next to their name at the next election, which makes it unlikely they'll keep their job.

Everyone who votes for awful poo poo like our indefinite detention island prison camps for children is doing so because they don't think it is evil, or even worse they know it is evil and vote for it for their paycheck .

Surely you don't seriously believe this. I mean, it's at least possible that some of them think it's bad but that it's better than other alternatives (as they see it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

freebooter posted:

I had a great dinner with my stepfather tonight in which I found out that he's not just racist and homophobic (par for the course amongst Aussie baby boomers) but also anti-Semitic. I'm always puzzled as to where Australians pick anti-Semitism up. I mean, he's a boomer, so it's not like he's exposed to the internet or much international culture. And Australia's Jewish population is negligible.

How do they pick up these notions? I mean, I was a pretty well-read kid, and I was probably in university before I realised that anti-semitism was ever a fact of life outside of Nazi Germany.

Australia's population is mostly of European origin and antisemitism is well ingrained there. These days it's rarely, kill all Jews, it's a lot more, Jews like money and control lots of things.

• Locked thread